SportsWrath

Brandon Short returns

gmenroc

are you guys serious? this signing does nothing but help the giants.

1. He could potentially fight for a starting position

2. This means we arent getting Lavar Arrington (hopefully).

3. We will prolly now draft a LB

4. Short provides excellent depth at linebacker at the very least

are you guys serious? this signing does nothing but help the giants.

1. He could potentially fight for a starting position

2. This means we arent getting Lavar Arrington (hopefully).

3. We will prolly now draft a LB

4. Short provides excellent depth at linebacker at the very least

1. He's slb.

2. We still don't have anyone at wlb.

3. He wasn't a standout when he was here.

4. He hasn't done much while he was gone.

5. Griesen would have made more sense. (and he isn't that great, either)

6. If he's fighting for a starting job, we are seriously fucked.

I was just thinking that, I see us resigning Griesen now and possibly going CB in the first round...especially if Cromartie is available.

It would prove interesting if Cromartie would fall that far, he is definatley talented & the Giants do have a need at CB. The question about selecting him is do you expect him to step in and contribute immediately or down the road? From everything that I have read about Cromartie, selecting him in the first round is risky because he is a project who has a high risk factor and his selection will be made mostly based on promise rather than actual production since he only played 25 games at FSU. With the exception of recent trade for Manning when have we known the Giants to take chances with risky picks in the first round? It's not that I wouldn't welcome a talent like Cromartie to the Giants if he proves his knee is healthy but there lies the question where is the biggest need? CB or OLB? And also do you pick the best player available regardless of postion or do you draft for your teams needs?

1. He's slb.

2. We still don't have anyone at wlb.

3. He wasn't a standout when he was here.

4. He hasn't done much while he was gone.

5. Griesen would have made more sense. (and he isn't that great, either)

6. If he's fighting for a starting job, we are seriously fucked.

ummm, I guess I should agree with you because this signing (at vets min) is incredibly stupid. :confused:

i dont know if i agree with you when you say the Giants take chances with risky picks in the first round because I think they make a lot of risky picks in the first round...

i dont know if i agree with you when you say the Giants take chances with risky picks in the first round because I think they make a lot of risky picks in the first round...

I'm not trying to get confrontational but with the exception of 2004 & Eli, who in recent memory have the Giants had fall to them & selected knowing there was a serious health/medical/carachter problem in the first round?

And if you are going to say William Joseph, don't bother responding.

ummm, I guess I should agree with you because this signing (at vets min) is incredibly stupid. :confused:

I'm just venting, and you just caught in the steam. I just don't have a clue what the front office is doing this F/A, and I'm getting more concerned that they don't, either.

The only thing I can think of is that they are secure with Torbor, and are going to ditch Emmons for cap reasons.

Ya know I really like this signing.

Short played very hard for us and being a Penn State fan I was happy when he was drafted. Short is versatile although he played primarly SLB for us he can play MLB. This is a very good move for our depth and our special teams. This could allow us to release Emmons or it could mean Short could be the primary backup to Pierce. Short is a very good special teams player and is very capable of starting if needed. I love his intesity and passion for the game, it really shows when he is on the field.

Does this effect us signing Lavar?

No it doesnt. Short isnt going to play WLB and niether is Emmons. The money will ultimately determine whether or not we sign Lavar.

Also this does not determine whether or not we are going to resign Griesen. The only way Griesen is even considered is if Lavar isnt signed and we feel Griesen is the best option available. But resigning Griesen doesnt determine what we will do early in the draft because we still will need a starting WLB.

Regardless this Short signing does not effect our draft but will leave us with some different directions to go after camp.

I'm not trying to get confrontational but with the exception of 2004 & Eli, who in recent memory have the Giants had fall to them & selected knowing there was a serious health/medical/carachter problem in the first round?

And if you are going to say William Joseph, don't bother responding.

well i was thinking william joseph then i saw your comment so i wont

but last year (i know it wasnt a first fround pick) but it was the giants first pick corey webster fell due to injury status and as i am typing this a rem jammar taylor also not a first a 6th

This is a pretty good move though, he will pressure Emmons and Torbor to step up there play, gives us quality depth that we had absolutely none of last year, and he knows how to play in NY.

But wasn't he under a different Coach, and Defensive Co-ordinator last time he was here? I can't say I noticed when he left.

well i was thinking william joseph then i saw your comment so i wont

but last year (i know it wasnt a first fround pick) but it was the giants first pick corey webster fell due to injury status and as i am typing this a rem jammar taylor also not a first a 6th

A few things about Corey Webster that I'm sure the Giants took into consideration when drafting him:

1. He had played healthy for two whole seasons previous to getting injured & was part of LSU's co-championship team.

2. He did play for most of that final season with that injury (ability to play through pain) & it didn't degrade his performance enough that it would throw up a red flag.

3. He was one of the higher rated CB's going into that draft & was selected at a point commensurate with his draft grade.

4. Were there any CB's drafted after him that had real significant outcomes on their respective teams record.... not really, you could make a case for Darrent Williams & Domonique Foxworth for Denver but that's two players & neither of them were starters. Besides, Foxworth was the one who sat there like a deer in headlights while Toomer snatched Eli's winning TD pass out of mid-air in the final minute of that contest.

5. He did play in his rookie season with a slight degree of success, albeit he did get burned by Jurevicuis in Seattle but otherwise it wasn't like he was a human turnstile in the secondary.

Jamaar Taylor was a 6'th rounder (correct me if I'm wrong), using a late round pick on talent that could be boom or bust I could really care less about. If you want to take chances late, fine, that's the time & place for it but I just feel that if you have a sure thing in your grasp don't let it go on the pretense that something else that just looks better might actually be.... because often enough it isn't.

Just another thing concerning Jamaar, aside from the fact that the first surgeon that operated on his torn ACL performed the surgery incorrectly. He was able to get deep against the Eagles in his rookie year & nearly scored 2 TD's, his injuries have all but kept him from doing anything except practice. I do have to admit that between Carter & Taylor I have no reason as to why Carter was drafted & even less of a reason as to why he was re-signed, I do think however this year is Taylor's last year to prove he has the skill to play at this level providing his replacement isn't drafted & Jamaar makes the cut.

Ya know I really like this signing.

Short played very hard for us and being a Penn State fan I was happy when he was drafted. Short is versatile although he played primarly SLB for us he can play MLB. This is a very good move for our depth and our special teams. This could allow us to release Emmons or it could mean Short could be the primary backup to Pierce. Short is a very good special teams player and is very capable of starting if needed. I love his intesity and passion for the game, it really shows when he is on the field.

Does this effect us signing Lavar?

No it doesnt. Short isnt going to play WLB and niether is Emmons. The money will ultimately determine whether or not we sign Lavar.

Also this does not determine whether or not we are going to resign Griesen. The only way Griesen is even considered is if Lavar isnt signed and we feel Griesen is the best option available. But resigning Griesen doesnt determine what we will do early in the draft because we still will need a starting WLB.

Regardless this Short signing does not effect our draft but will leave us with some different directions to go after camp.

I like the signing too and to be honest how could you not.

Think about the LB unit we had on the field against the Panthers.

I also think griesen is next to sign. We might actually have great

depth at this position when all is said and done.

Pizan question? Do you think that the Rookie LB we draft may be in the starting line up?

I like the signing too and to be honest how could you not.

Think about the LB unit we had on the field against the Panthers.

I also think griesen is next to sign. We might actually have great

depth at this position when all is said and done.

Pizan question? Do you think that the Rookie LB we draft may be in the starting line up?

As of right now, yea. The only way the rookie isnt in the starting line up is if we sign Lavar. Having a rookie backer starting really isnt all that bad. Seattle reached the superbowl and had a very stout defense all year long with 2 starting rookies at linebacker. One was the leader and starting MLB. If Seattle can have that kind of success with two rookies starting at backer, one calling the plays and making the reads... Then we can have success with one rookie starting at WLB making the plays. Any of the backers we can get in the first round (Sims, Greenway, Carpenter, Ryans) could all start from day one.

As of right now, yea. The only way the rookie isnt in the starting line up is if we sign Lavar. Having a rookie backer starting really isnt all that bad. Seattle reached the superbowl and had a very stout defense all year long with 2 starting rookies at linebacker. One was the leader and starting MLB. If Seattle can have that kind of success with two rookies starting at backer, one calling the plays and making the reads... Then we can have success with one rookie starting at WLB making the plays. Any of the backers we can get in the first round (Sims, Greenway, Carpenter, Ryans) could all start from day one.

or even if lavar signs the rookie could start if emmons is cut !!

leaving short, tobor, griesen and blackburn for backup role.

Arrington Pierce Carpenter

sounds good ?

or even if lavar signs the rookie could start if emmons is cut !!

leaving short, tobor, griesen and blackburn for backup role.

Arrington Pierce Carpenter

sounds good ?

That could happen if Carpenter were to beat out Torbor in camp. I would be perfectly happy with that LB group. It would be much improved over last years that is for sure.

That could happen if Carpenter were to beat out Torbor in camp. I would be perfectly happy with that LB group. It would be much improved over last years that is for sure.

I'm kinda doubtful that Arrington is going to sign here now, after talking to a friend of mine who works for the Giants (who's name & position within the organization I'm not going to disclose but I will tell you that he is part of the coaching staff). The front office is kind of enamored with him but the coaching staff isn't as high on his potential to help this team.

I do think that if Carpenter didn't come in and win the job outright from either Torbor or whomever else is his competition then we really do have a problem. Carpenter seems talented enough that he should be able to start from day 1.

I'm kinda doubtful that Arrington is going to sign here now, after talking to a friend of mine who works for the Giants (who's name & position within the organization I'm not going to disclose but I will tell you that he is part of the coaching staff). The front office is kind of enamored with him but the coaching staff isn't as high on his potential to help this team.

I do think that if Carpenter didn't come in and win the job outright from either Torbor or whomever else is his competition then we really do have a problem. Carpenter seems talented enough that he should be able to start from day 1.

Yea I doubt it too and to be quite honest, I dont even care if we get him. Im sure most fans are starting to feel the same way. Just sign somewhere already so we can move on. If we get him great, if not we draft one. Im happy either way.... Unless its Thomas Howard in the first.

I'm just venting, and you just caught in the steam. I just don't have a clue what the front office is doing this F/A, and I'm getting more concerned that they don't, either.

The only thing I can think of is that they are secure with Torbor, and are going to ditch Emmons for cap reasons.

well i dont know but I'm just under the impression they have something up their sleeves, you know? They know the LB situation is bad but when you think about it, with Pierce in the middle I think the LB corps forms around him and you need guys that are speedy and athletic, like Torbor can be, to roam the outside...I like that idea...two speedier LBs to accompany Pierce....and that LB should come to us in the draft.

To clear things up, I dont think the linebacker position is all that bad.

well i dont know but I'm just under the impression they have something up their sleeves, you know? They know the LB situation is bad but when you think about it, with Pierce in the middle I think the LB corps forms around him and you need guys that are speedy and athletic, like Torbor can be, to roam the outside...I like that idea...two speedier LBs to accompany Pierce....and that LB should come to us in the draft.

To clear things up, I dont think the linebacker position is all that bad.

I hope you're right. But right now I see two holes at WLB, and two holes at DT. That's pretty daunting going into the draft. Maybe we get a stud in the first round, maybe not. I'm sure with Pierce in there, a good rookie would be OK. But if that stud goes down, then what?

Emmons on the weak side isn't exactly thrilling me.