SportsWrath

Bonds Finished After '06

LorfTVP

Bonds Says '06 Season His Last

Barry BondsAfter sitting out most of last season, Barry Bonds tells USA Today he's finished after '06 -- regardless of whether he hits 48 homers to break Hank Aaron's all-time record. "I'm not playing baseball anymore after this."

From ESPN.com Breaking News

Some quotes from Barry:

"The game [isn't] fun anymore. I'm tired of all of the crap going on."

"I love the game of baseball itself, but I don't like what it's turned out to be."

"Right now I am not proud to be a baseball player."

I know this is hard to believe folks, but he's not talking about the scourge of steroids. He's actually talking about the media's treatment of him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some more classic comedy quotes from Barry:

"Thank you for all of your criticism. Thank you for dogging me."

"I'm just not a skinny person, dude, I'm not. I never will be."

"So what [are] they going to say now? Are they going to say, 'Wow, I guess it can't be steroids anymore because he didn't lose all that weight?' Or are they going to be mad that I'm fat. Come on, which one is it?"

"I think that's been my only downfall in all of this. I never let people know me. I just wanted to do my job and get the [expletive] out. Don't get me wrong. I love Michael Jordan, and I respect Michael Jordan. But I never wanted all that attention."

"I go to work like every other American."

Some quotes from Barry:

"The game [isn't] fun anymore. I'm tired of all of the crap going on."

"I love the game of baseball itself, but I don't like what it's turned out to be."

"Right now I am not proud to be a baseball player."

I know this is hard to believe folks, but he's not talking about the scourge of steroids. He's actually talking about the media's treatment of him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some more classic comedy quotes from Barry:

"Thank you for all of your criticism. Thank you for dogging me."

"So what [are] they going to say now? Are they going to say, 'Wow, I guess it can't be steroids anymore because he didn't lose all that weight?' Or are they going to be mad that I'm fat. Come on, which one is it?"

"I think that's been my only downfall in all of this. I never let people know me. I just wanted to do my job and get the [expletive] out. Don't get me wrong. I love Michael Jordan, and I respect Michael Jordan. But I never wanted all that attention."

"I go to work like every other American."

What a dick,

Than WTF were you the first of half of your career dumbass?

I have a feelng he's not done. If he hits 44 homers he'll come back for the minimum, hit four homers and abandon his team.

If he comes back in '07, I doubt it would be with the Giants. Probably the Angels where he'll DH and not travel with the team. I'm worried about his ability to field his position this year. Chances are, he'll only get 3 at bats a game. I think he'll be about 15 short of Aaron at the end of this season.

Edited by blunatic

Sorry guys, Bonds Takes It Back

He probly heard the collective sigh of releife from every where but San Fran and decided to piss everyone off some more.

Seriously though, he he would have just been nicer, less hostile towads people. I know he gets crucified in the media, but he brought alot of that on himself. This guy will likely be 2 nd on the HR list and maybe even first but is hated everywhere accross the country, if he could have been less confrontational, he didn't even have to admit or deny steroids, just be more fucking nice.

Then he says he only cares about passing Ruth but doesn't care about passing Aaron, his explanation of why is noble but who believes him?

If he comes back in '07, I doubt it would be with the Giants. Probably the Angels where he'll DH and not travel with the team. I'm worried about his ability to field his position this year. Chances are, he'll only get 3 at bats a game. I think he'll be about 15 short of Aaron at the end of this season.

He shouldn't come back for a lot of pay though, no matter how good he would play this season. Once he gets the record, you think he's going to keep trying? Yeah right.

Yeah, I meant to say that I'll eat my hat if he doesn't stick around long enough to break the record (he couldn't stand to walk away form all that attention), but I can't see him being around much longer after that. I can't believe Scioscia would ever put up with the Angels signing Bonds, and what other team would even want him? He wouldn't come back for a couple mil, and nobody would offer him anything more. He's not worth it.

I know he's your boy and all, blu, but I really, really hope he doesn't break the record. He already basically passed Ruth, which is a travesty, but for him to pass Aaron would be criminal. It would be poetic justic if he completely broke down physically just short of the record.

Edited by mickeef2

This guy pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Barry should spare us all and go away now

By Gene Wojciechowski

ESPN.com

So Barry Bonds is going to hang up his cleats and violin after this season, eh? Good for him. Good for us.

Bonds told USA Today on Sunday that he will retire at season's end, which must be why the birds are chirping a little louder, the sun is shining a little brighter, and the beer on tap tastes a little colder. This is like the Wicked Witch of the West throwing a bucket of water on herself.

Not since Reggie Jackson and the "magnificence of me" days has there been a player more tone deaf when it comes to understanding how tiresome his martyr act has become. Bonds could have had the baseball world giving him a mani and a pedi. Instead, his arrogance and three-act victim's play will be in the opening paragraphs of his eventual big league obituary.

Bonds is seven home runs from surpassing Babe Ruth's 714 dingers and 48 from moving ahead of Hank Aaron's 755. Yet, his legacy is, and will be, as mixed as a can of Planters nuts. And much of it is Bonds' own doing.

Listen to him:

"I'm tired of all the crap going on," Bonds said. "I want to play this year out, hopefully win, and once the season is over, go home and be with my family. Maybe then everybody can just forget about me."

And later: "I love the game of baseball itself, but I don't like what it's turned out to be. I'm not mad at anybody. It's just that right now I am not proud to be a baseball player."

This is the hypocrisy of Bonds. No one is holding a Jugs Gun to his head and telling him to play in 2006. If he's so tired of it all, so desperate to be forgotten, so embarrassed to wear a big league uni, then retire now. And don't let the clubhouse door hit you on the way out.

"But I can still hit," the seven-time National League MVP said. "I can rake. I can hit a baseball."

He also can still whine, still pontificate, still act as if he'll be missed. He won't be.

Bonds might not be beloved, which is no prerequisite for greatness, but his numbers produce jaw drops. He has eight 40-plus-home run seasons, including the record-breaking 73 homers in 2001. Along the way he has alienated fans, managers and teammates alike. He is crustier than a baked pie.

But he can hit a baseball. You have to give him that. The problem is, the shadow of steroid allegations follow him around as if he's Punxatawney Phil. In this case, Bonds gets six more months, not six weeks, of questions about "did he," or "didn't he."

"I'm clean, I've always been clean," Bonds told USA Today.

Yes, absolutely clean, except for the times he unknowingly used two designer steroid substances obtained from his trainer, who just happened to get indicted in the BALCO scandal. All this according to federal grand jury transcripts. Bonds has said he wasn't aware the substances were steroids.

Even if you believe Bonds -- and sorry, I don't -- he doesn't make it easy to root for him. If you're a San Francisco fan you root for his health (he lasted only 14 games in 2005), you root for that Haagen-Dazs-sweet swing of his, and you root for him to lead the Giants to the franchise's first World Series championship since 1954. But do you root for Bonds the person?

You do if you buy his version of the truth, which, I suppose, is fair enough. There doesn't seem to be much in-between when it comes to Bonds. You're either for him or against him.

Frankly, I'm just tired of him. He said he didn't want to play in the upcoming World Baseball Classic because of the condition of his knees. One knee is without cartilage, which means bone on bone. Totally legitimate reason to skip the WBC.

But Bonds couldn't help himself. He trivialized the first-ever Classic, saying, "Come on, the World Cup isn't the Olympics. Who cares? Does it mean anything?"

Not in BarryWorld, it doesn't.

He said he didn't care about records. Maybe not, but his official Web site is full of Bonds-approved links to purchase photos, baseballs, caps, T-shirts and just about anything else related to his reaching the 700-home run mark in 2004.

My favorite Barry on Barry quote was this one: "I think that's been my only downfall in all of this. I never let people know me. I just wanted to do my job and get the [expletive] out."

Your loss, not ours, Barry. Of course, Bonds later backpedaled on his earlier comments, which figures.

As for getting out, the sooner the better works for me.

Yeah, I meant to say that I'll eat my hat if he doesn't stick around long enough to break the record (he couldn't stand to walk away form all that attention), but I can't see him being around much longer after that. I can't believe Scioscia would ever put up with the Angels signing Bonds, and what other team would even want him? He wouldn't come back for a couple mil, and nobody would offer him anything more. He's not worth it.

I know he's your boy and all, blu, but I really, really hope he doesn't break the record. He already basically passed Ruth, which is a travesty, but for him to pass Aaron would be criminal. It would be poetic justic if he completely broke down physically just short of the record.

I've always said, he's not my boy. The Giants are my team, and watching him at bat is something that I have enjoyed immensely. What he does off the field is not my concern, nor is it how I judge him as a ballplayer.

He shouldn't come back for a lot of pay though, no matter how good he would play this season. Once he gets the record, you think he's going to keep trying? Yeah right.

You really have no basis for that statement, b. For all of his shortcomings, Barry has never dogged it on the field, has always given maximum effort. There's no reason to think he would.

I've always said, he's not my boy. The Giants are my team, and watching him at bat is something that I have enjoyed immensely. What he does off the field is not my concern, nor is it how I judge him as a ballplayer.

Yeah, but doesn't the way he acts off the field make it hard for you to root for him, even if he is on your favorite team? I mean, I love Manny, and he's no choirboy, but from all accounts he's at least nice to people.

If Hannibal Lechter, could hit a slider and get us a Series win, I'd root for him. Of course, I wouldn't sit too close or attend any team benquets. It's been too long, man. With the White Sox winning, we've moved up to #3 on the futility standings!

You really have no basis for that statement, b. For all of his shortcomings, Barry has never dogged it on the field, has always given maximum effort. There's no reason to think he would.

Maybe not but considering he is barely motivated now by being 6 homers behind arguably the greatest hitter of all time and 48 homers behind arguably the most publicized record in sports, I'm not sure what's going to get him going. Maybe a tight pennant race that really requires full skill and he wants that ring.

Maybe you are right about Barry. It's just, I can't stand the guy but you are right, he has always given his all on the field.