SportsWrath

Had a Round Table Discussion With 3 other

Martin

I've never been particularly high on him. But he's yet to display that he has anymore talent than your typical above average starting QB in the NFL.

One thing I credit him is showing tremendous poise under pressure and on the road at times.

Of course, he has had his momentary flashes of very nice passes and great plays but nothing over a long span of time. I can't say I could expect that in the first full season.

Watch his body language when he anticipates a hit coming. He's reluctant to stand in there and deliver the ball. Looks like Joey Harrington at times.

I have to say that there are times that I think Eli stands in the pocket and shows some distinct bravery. I like that in him and believe in that type of QB.

I also think that we'll know a lot about him after this season. Money may be correct that he could be a Trent Green type of guy.

I'm not going to get too concerned yet, though we've all seen the ducks, the bad decisions, etc.

We've seen this before and it can work itself out, we just need a short leash.

I agree that EA went nuts for Eli and I wouldn't have made the same move, but then we might still be dealing with Collins and I don't think that would have made anyone else happy.

Of course, if we go further into post season and Eli performs better then nobody can claim him as a bad deal. That's a long way to go though, especially in a much more competitive NFC East.

I have to say that there are times that I think Eli stands in the pocket and shows some distinct bravery. I like that in him and believe in that type of QB.

I also think that we'll know a lot about him after this season. Money may be correct that he could be a Trent Green type of guy.

I'm not going to get too concerned yet, though we've all seen the ducks, the bad decisions, etc.

We've seen this before and it can work itself out, we just need a short leash.

I agree that EA went nuts for Eli and I wouldn't have made the same move, but then we might still be dealing with Collins and I don't think that would have made anyone else happy.

Of course, if we go further into post season and Eli performs better then nobody can claim him as a bad deal. That's a long way to go though, especially in a much more competitive NFC East.

Spotter hope all is well !!! where Jakk been ?? I miss him that little pain in the ass!!

Anyway I would like to make a comment about ELi that is not talked about much.

And thats the fact that Eli's number of attempted passes is a tremendous number

considering it was his 1st full season. My god for any QB at any level the amount

of attemps where off the chart. I beleive the coaching staff gave ELi way to much

to handel from a mental standpoint and physical one. I think because he was a

"Manning" they stretched the boundary but in my opinion way to far.

I think if the Giants get back to Defensive football and give Eli a much shorter rope

and not ask him to win games but be effective when he does have to air it out we

will see a much more controlled QB ala his counter part Big Ben.

ELi had to think to much, throw to much and was asked to win alone too much for

a QB in his 1st full season and I think along the way his mechanics got thown off.

We all know that he can work under pressure and the Giants should

now build a better defensive team to take the pressure off this QB

and let him manage football games.

Marty,

Good to hear from you as well. Hope things in your neck of the woods are going smoothly.

Jakk and I corresponded off-line once or twice and he said he's on to baseball until there's something to talk about: seemed like a nice enough fellow, despite that plethora of anti-KC venom that the other MB was forced to endure.

No we have it again with Eli. Everyone gets too wrapped up in his flaws. I think your assessment is correct: he's asked to throw a significant amount and more importantly, at critical moments.

Eli will be fine and he needs to improve, that's all there is to it. I agree with you that a strong D and less of an emphasis on Eli will sharpen him up.

It's a lot to ask of a QB and comparing him to Big Ben is a little bit of apples to oranges considering Pitts personnel, coaching, and the maturity of many key players in that system compared to the second season with the G's offense and the (again) changing OL.

I hope ELi's throwing and mechanics improve, I can live with the ocassional batted ball and less frequent interception, but the wounded ducks are what gets everyone on this MB worried.

So what's worse, a lesser armed Eli or a strong armed Collins? I mean, arguing for a Big Ben like experience is silly since it's such a rarity that early in a career.

Marty,

Good to hear from you as well. Hope things in your neck of the woods are going smoothly.

Jakk and I corresponded off-line once or twice and he said he's on to baseball until there's something to talk about: seemed like a nice enough fellow, despite that plethora of anti-KC venom that the other MB was forced to endure.

No we have it again with Eli. Everyone gets too wrapped up in his flaws. I think your assessment is correct: he's asked to throw a significant amount and more importantly, at critical moments.

Eli will be fine and he needs to improve, that's all there is to it. I agree with you that a strong D and less of an emphasis on Eli will sharpen him up.

It's a lot to ask of a QB and comparing him to Big Ben is a little bit of apples to oranges considering Pitts personnel, coaching, and the maturity of many key players in that system compared to the second season with the G's offense and the (again) changing OL.

I hope ELi's throwing and mechanics improve, I can live with the ocassional batted ball and less frequent interception, but the wounded ducks are what gets everyone on this MB worried.

So what's worse, a lesser armed Eli or a strong armed Collins? I mean, arguing for a Big Ben like experience is silly since it's such a rarity that early in a career.

Yes Ben is very rare!

With the Giants loading up on D and with the same offensive personel we should

see a more improved Eli. And if he continues to improve than so will the Giants.

Have a nice weekend coming up ! :rock: