SportsWrath

The Second Round

Allstarjim

I think this year especially, the second round pick is just as critical as the first round pick to get right. This team needs help at several positions. There should be several very good players capable of starting year one at our pick #52.

A player I am really drooling over lately is Ryan Williams, RB, VT. I think he's the 2nd best RB in this class, after Leshoure, but he's also more of a homerun threat than Leshoure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGAQP1Rwsus

Also a possibility to varying degrees are guard/centers Danny Watkins, Ben Ijalana, Clint Boling, Rodney Hudson, and Stefen Wisniewski. I think all these guys are going to be very good guards in the NFL, this is a rich interior linemen class.

Martez Wilson, an ILB from Illinois, could be a possibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHEqRiHAIV0

Bruce Carter is another player that may be there.

I would be giddy if we got Williams or Carter. I think there are still going to be really good guards in the 3rd round.

there have been recent reports about carter's health and how he might not be ready for the start of the year, but ive always liked him for the 2nd round.

depending on who we got in the 1st id be happy with any of the guys you listed.

Since this draft is linebacker weak (which is our only real need IMO - except a LT), I say draft that BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER (except a QB). There will be some really fine talent left on the board in the second round and we should grab a physical freak of some kind that needs a little polishing. If

Kyle Rudolph, (TE, Notre Dame) is still on the board and slips through - he'd be a fine pickup. I also think you can never have too many fast ball-hawking CB's. It all depends on who slips through the cracks.

Maybe our best option will come from one of the DII schools.

Some ideas:

Trevis Turner: OT Abilene Christian

Mario Harvey, ILB, Marshall

Benjamin Ijalana, OT/G, Villanova

Since this draft is linebacker weak (which is our only real need IMO - except a LT), I say draft that BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER (except a QB). There will be some really fine talent left on the board in the second round and we should grab a physical freak of some kind that needs a little polishing. If

Kyle Rudolph, (TE, Notre Dame) is still on the board and slips through - he'd be a fine pickup. I also think you can never have too many fast ball-hawking CB's. It all depends on who slips through the cracks.

Maybe our best option will come from one of the DII schools.

Some ideas:

Trevis Turner: OT Abilene Christian

Mario Harvey, ILB, Marshall

Benjamin Ijalana, OT/G, Villanova

Harvey has boom or bust written all over him... but he's a back end of the draft prospect... I'd take a shot at him in the 6th. Same with Trevis Turner... CBSSports has him ranked as the 21st best OT in the draft. Pretty far down the ladder. He is a mammoth guy, though.

I would rather have the other UNC LB, Quan Sturdivant in round three then draft Carter in round two. I honestly think we are going Mark Ingram in round one. Now that I have seen it in some mocks and I thought about it. I am kinda torn on it.Anyways, We could go Ben Ijalana in round two, then Sturdivant or Jones in round three

Players still out there in the 2nd that would be tremendous values for the Giants if they could get them:

Mikel Leshoure

Ryan Williams

Rodney Hudson

Marvin Austin

Stephen Paea

Benjamin Ijalana

Rahim Moore

Aaron Williams

Da'Quan Bowers

Martez Wilson

Brooks Reed

Bruce Carter

Justin Houston

Players still out there in the 2nd that would be tremendous values for the Giants if they could get them:

Mikel Leshoure

Ryan Williams

Rodney Hudson

Marvin Austin

Stephen Paea

Benjamin Ijalana

Rahim Moore

Aaron Williams

Da'Quan Bowers

Martez Wilson

Brooks Reed

Bruce Carter

Justin Houston

No way that Da'Quan Bowers will still be on the board. He'll probably be the first pick tonight. I will be ecstatic if Ijalan falls down the board far enough for us to scoop up in the second. But who knows.....there wasn't a brain trust in America that thought Akumara would slip through the cracks to 19. It's all because of the lockout and teams were forced to go for QB's and "must have to plug hole guys" because they have no clue what they will be able to get once the players and management solve their differences. So my point in all this confusion is that maybe another first round gem will fall right into our laps in the second. Wouldn't that be sweeeeeet!

• 11 months later...

Thought it would be cool to take a look back on last year's draft talk and see how we did. Bleedin', Da'Quan Bowers was taken 51st overall, second rounder! :P Saw some action but was mildly used in his first season, like most of these guys.

While nobody saw Amukamara falling to us in the first, at least i got a hit on Austin, unfortunately he couldn't prove himself. Pretty easy to hit, though, when you list a dozen guys or so.

Out of the guys I liked in that list, Brooks Reed really jumps out for his season for the Texans, and Justin Houston had a really nice rookie campaign for the Chiefs.

Ben Ijalana saw some action for the Colts, don't know how good he was because there aren't really stats for O-linemen.

Out of the guys others mentioned, Akeem Ayers was one of the only ones that was a 16 game starter for the Titans. He had 76 tackles and 2 sacks. They will be looking for a lot more from him next year.

My guy, Mikel Leshoure, went on IR before the season began, same for Ryan Williams. Doesn't look like Bruce Carter did much for the Cowboys. Don't know if he got hurt or what.

Martez Wilson showed some stuff late in the season, had a couple of sacks late, but had a quiet season overall.

I think Rodney Hudson is going to be a great player for the Chiefs.

Bigblue25 wanted Quan Sturdivant in the third round, and Quan was taken all the way in the 6th round! Didn't see the field at all his rookie season, not sure if he went on IR or just didn't get activated.

Two of Bleedin's picks, Trevis Turner and Mario Harvey were UDFA's for the Steelers, neither saw action their rookie seasons.

Thought it would be cool to take a look back on last year's draft talk and see how we did. Bleedin', Da'Quan Bowers was taken 51st overall, second rounder! :P Saw some action but was mildly used in his first season, like most of these guys.

While nobody saw Amukamara falling to us in the first, at least i got a hit on Austin, unfortunately he couldn't prove himself. Pretty easy to hit, though, when you list a dozen guys or so.

Out of the guys I liked in that list, Brooks Reed really jumps out for his season for the Texans, and Justin Houston had a really nice rookie campaign for the Chiefs.

Ben Ijalana saw some action for the Colts, don't know how good he was because there aren't really stats for O-linemen.

Out of the guys others mentioned, Akeem Ayers was one of the only ones that was a 16 game starter for the Titans. He had 76 tackles and 2 sacks. They will be looking for a lot more from him next year.

My guy, Mikel Leshoure, went on IR before the season began, same for Ryan Williams. Doesn't look like Bruce Carter did much for the Cowboys. Don't know if he got hurt or what.

Martez Wilson showed some stuff late in the season, had a couple of sacks late, but had a quiet season overall.

I think Rodney Hudson is going to be a great player for the Chiefs.

Bigblue25 wanted Quan Sturdivant in the third round, and Quan was taken all the way in the 6th round! Didn't see the field at all his rookie season, not sure if he went on IR or just didn't get activated.

Two of Bleedin's picks, Trevis Turner and Mario Harvey were UDFA's for the Steelers, neither saw action their rookie seasons.

What's your point? That I suck? Point made! :laugh: Although, I did nail Barden and Beatty a couple of years ago. That was my best successful guess at what the Giants would do.

Oh well.....I'm just a hyped up fan that loves the draft. That doesn't mean I am some kind of genius prognosticator.

If I were to guess our second round pick for this year, I'd say that there's a good chance we'll have two 2nd round picks because we might just trade down a few spots with Cleveland or possibly Minnesota if either team has their eye on someone special that they don't think will be there in 5 or 6 picks later. That way, maybe pick up another 4th or 5th. I base that on Reese's comment that he doesn't think there's 32 players worthy of getting taken in the first round.

Assuming we don't do that...I'd say we're probably going WR because in the first round, I don't thing a WR will be the BPA. I'd be real happy if they got a stud O-Lineman that would do more for our running game than a high priced RB.

:D, Bleedin', you are awesome man. I love it, you are like the small school guy. You have introduced me to more prospects I've never even heard of than any of the experts on ESPN or NFL Network combined. You are the man, dude. I just like looking at this old stuff to see how accurate we were with our player evaluations and pre-draft prognosticating. But you definitely don't suck, I just mention that stuff to get a rise out of you and have a chuckle. We are all mostly wrong on these things but it's all in good fun.

A couple of years ago, Nemesis called Linval Joseph in the 2nd, I thought that was pretty great, and Bigblue25 called JPP as a possible target for the Giants, while I thought JPP wouldn't be around at our pick, thank God I was wrong on that one! JMFP was touting Sean Lee in the 2nd a couple years ago, and he has turned into a nice player for the Cowboys.

I think I wanted Hynoski in the 6th or 7th last year.

and in 2008 i predicted our first 3 picks sorta, i created phillips, thomas, and manningham and put them on madden as our 1st three picks before the draft, i felt pretty awesome for a minute.

I would rather have the other UNC LB, Quan Sturdivant in round three then draft Carter in round two. I honestly think we are going Mark Ingram in round one. Now that I have seen it in some mocks and I thought about it. I am kinda torn on it.Anyways, We could go Ben Ijalana in round two, then Sturdivant or Jones in round three

Sturdivant is a distant cousin of mine. My MGM's maiden name is Sturdivant...Stephanie Mills...Broadway Actor and singer best known for her role of Dorothy in The Wiz is also a Sturdivant...let me tell you how much she hates Diana Ross... :atomic: Anyway distant family relations and all Sturdivant seems like a keeper. Has all of the right moves despite the injuries. Anywhere from a 4-6th round pick easy.

In a non-related but related matter...lol...I know you are into military history....here is another relative (father's side) Eugene Jacques Bullard (aka The Black Sparrow)...the world's first Black fighter pilot back in WWI. One of the characters in the George Lucas red tails is based upon him, two of my deceased uncles were named for him. Eugenio/Eugene and Jacques.

Quan Sturdivant is a distant cousin of mine. My MGM's maiden name is Sturdivant...Stephanie Mills...Broadway Actor and singer best known for her role of Dorothy in The Wiz is also a Sturdivant...let me tell you how much she hates Diana Ross... :atomic: Anyway distant family relations and all Sturdivant seems like a keeper. Has all of the right moves despite the injuries. Anywhere from a 4-6th round pick easy.

In a non-related but related matter...lol...I know you are into military history....here is another relative (father's side) Eugene Jacques Bullard (aka The Black Sparrow)...the world's first Black fighter pilot back in WWI. One of the characters in the George Lucas red tails is based upon him, two of my deceased uncles were named for him. Eugenio/Eugene and Jacques.

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/bullard.html

:D, Bleedin', you are awesome man. I love it, you are like the small school guy. You have introduced me to more prospects I've never even heard of than any of the experts on ESPN or NFL Network combined. You are the man, dude. I just like looking at this old stuff to see how accurate we were with our player evaluations and pre-draft prognosticating. But you definitely don't suck, I just mention that stuff to get a rise out of you and have a chuckle. We are all mostly wrong on these things but it's all in good fun.

A couple of years ago, Nemesis called Linval Joseph in the 2nd, I thought that was pretty great, and Bigblue25 called JPP as a possible target for the Giants, while I thought JPP wouldn't be around at our pick, thank God I was wrong on that one! JMFP was touting Sean Lee in the 2nd a couple years ago, and he has turned into a nice player for the Cowboys.

Thanks for the kudos, but I know I'm just a fan. You could count the number of college games I watch each year on the fingers of one hand. I'm a readaholic and put away at least a book a week....except when mid-April comes around and then I read dozens and dozens of websites dealing with players. So all I really do is regurgitate a whole lot of crap gleaned from the infinite and eclectic opinions on the web. Regardless....it's entertainment to me and I have wierd tastes. It's nice that this board exists so I can bloviate with others on the subject.

I think the biggest shocker of a second round pick (for me anyway) was the year they took Osi - who I'd never even heard of before. Right up there with that shocker was last years Marvin Austin. Again, my jaw dropped and kept saying WTF over and over.

The second round pick can be one of the most interesting picks in all the draft.....well, at least from the perspective of a Giants fan. I love watching the disgusted expression on Mel Kiper's face when he goes on and on about who they could've had that is so great (usually a washout) and how we could have gotten Osi or Austin in the 5th or 6th round.