SportsWrath

Anthony Castonzo

Allstarjim

In my revised mock (v. 2.0), I put the Giants taking Castonzo at #19, over Nate Solder. The reason was because after seeing video of both players, I think Solder is more of a project, and is a little lean in his frame. I saw some tape of Solder getting beat up a little too much for my liking. Castonzo seems to have more of the size, strength, and quickness combo necessary to play LT. If Castonzo is there, I think he's a great pick at 19. Most draft pundits have him rated as the second best tackle prospect in the draft, after Tyron Smith. But I actually like him better for us than Smith, because Tyron has really only played on the right side. Drafting Castonzo now will allow Diehl to move inside, hopefully upgrading two positions. I also think Beatty still can be the right tackle of the future for us, where I think he struggles more on the left side.

Ralph V seems to agree with me on Castonzo, as I found this today, from his Twitter feed: Vacchiano

In the video Ralph says Coughlin and Pat Flaherty both went to Castonzo's pro day at Boston College, so to me that is a big indicator that the Giants are very interested.

So, I may revise my mock one more time before the draft in a couple of weeks, but it likely will not include a change of the Giants pick at 19.... Anthony Castonzo. I'm touting this guy right now as a future great LT for us.

Here's some video of Castonzo:

This is Robert Quinn vs Castonzo in (I assume) 2009. Castonzo really struggles against Quinn in pass protection, but I think he neutralizes him in running situations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

I thought Castonzo looked really good in this video against Nevada. He was charged with blocking Dontay Moch at times here, and Moch is certainly no slouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kI9qoKfjOk

All in all I think Flaherty will do wonders with this kid.

As far as alternatives, as I've said before I don't see a linebacker with value at 19. I know a lot of you like Ayers (I don't), and not that they are always right but I see his name projected very late in the 1st and many times in the second round.

Mark Ingram I have mocked for the 15th pick to the Dolphins, but I actually think he's falling and my revised mock will probably have him slipping all the way to 32 to the Packers... I think there is a legit fear that he may be somewhat damaged goods.

While I can definitely see the benefit of drafting a G/C type offensive lineman, I think 19 is too high for Pouncey, and the Giants can address this with more value later in the draft. With the quality of tackles that should be there at 19, with tackle being much more of a premium position, I think it's a mistake to pay 1st round money on a guard/center. So now Pouncey, thank you.

He also looked really good against Da'Quan Bowers, for whats it worth I think Bowers is going to be a grade A bust. He did a great job anyways, run blocking in that game which some scouts said he can't do, he looks like a pretty solid run blocker to me. I think he may play guard right away in the NFL (that's were scouts were trying him at the senior bowl), I have heard Diehl has no desire to play guard and they want to keep him at LT, I am not a fan of Beatty on either side and think Costanzo could be the RT or LG from day one. The Giants are also interested in Ben Ijalana a G/OT out of Villanova, I think we somehow get these two players with our first two picks. They have also scouted Brandon Fusco a C out of Slippery Rock. I think it's possible we somehow come out of the draft with three lineman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JE4eoFv2gQ

Ijalana is 71 lined up LT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opf5INfXt3I

Thanks for posting. I thought I saw on a video that Castonzo played RT in the senior bowl. I agree with you that they could come out of here with two offensive linemen. Somebody is going to get an absolute steal with G/C Rodney Hudson out of Florida State in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't believe drafting another linemen is as pressing, but I do believe it's prudent given the recent injury history of Seubert, O'Hara, Andrews, and Koets. But I also think Petrus can be a player, too. I think we're going to be ok at that position. They are other real big positions of need they need to look at, and TE is at the top of the list, with linebacker not far behind. This team actually has more needs then I think we'd care to admit, and not all of them are going to be filled through the draft.

You mentioned Diehl, of course he doesn't want to move inside to play guard. There is a clause in his contract where his salary is directly tied to what position he plays. He makes a LOT more money if he takes the majority of snaps at LT than if he does at G. Same for Andrews. But Reese and TC need to do what is in the best interests of the team, and I think the players will get on board if it makes the team better. I see Castonzo as a LT prospect, and I think he would definitely have to move Diehl inside. Right now, I would probably say we're only going to get McKenzie for one more year. Perhaps after this year Diehl moves to the right side, or maybe it's Andrews or Beatty. I don't think Beatty was bad. I think he's still young and he has competed against very good competition. But this line is in the beginning stage of a transition... soon O'Hara, Seubert, and McKenzie will be gone and we will need the next 3 stalwarts to man those positions, and not too many years from now Diehl will be gone as well.

I'd rather see him on the right side taking over for Kareem Mckenzie, or have you guys given up on William Beaty to knock David Diehl out of the LT spot?

I like the Castonzo pick and wouldn't mind going after Mike Pouncey either. We need two picks on day one for the offensive line and the other guy should be Stefen Wisniewski.

Seubert and O'Hara are just not going to last forever.

I'd rather see him on the right side taking over for Kareem Mckenzie, or have you guys given up on William Beaty to knock David Diehl out of the LT spot?

I like the Castonzo pick and wouldn't mind going after Mike Pouncey either. We need two picks on day one for the offensive line and the other guy should be Stefen Wisniewski.

Seubert and O'Hara are just not going to last forever.

Kick Diehl back to guard and have Sueburt as a floater player or even center with O'hara going threw what is it? two offseason surgeries?

I hope the starting line up is something along the lines of:

Beatty/1st round pick/(O'hara, Sueburt)/Snee/Andrews

Tempest, Maurkice Pouncey is about the only 1st round rated G/C in the draft. However, there are several very good players at that position that should be available to us in rounds 2-5. Tackle is another story. After the first round, and even in the first round, some tackles will be taken that will be considered projects. There is a lot of talk about replacing O'Hara and Seubert. I think if we select a tackle in round 1, we improve both the tackle position and the Guard position because it theoretically moves Diehl inside. And as others have said, Castonzo can play guard as well, so it sets up nicely for a good competition. Besides, if you're going to pay 1st round money, it might as well be for a tackle, a position that commands more money than the interior linemen anyway.

From a GM's point of view, it makes absolutely zero sense to spend your first round pick on a guard/center and pay that player first round money when you have about 4 starting caliber tackles available at that time of the draft. I think we'd be better off drafting WR at 19 over a G/C, even.

That said, I wouldn't mind it at all if we addressed the interior line in the 2nd, but preferably, 4th or 5th round.

I can say this with near 100% certainty, the NY Giants will not draft Maurkice Pouncey. My guess he goes somewhere between 27-32.

Why does money have anything to do with what round you pick a player? You're going to pay a first round tackle more money than a center. We have drafted a number of tackles that theoretically moves Diehl back to guard. Theoretically Guy Whimper would have been in the lineup or William Beatty would have been the starting left tackle last season. Reality kicked Whimper off the roster and found Beatty not ready.

Drafting a WR is a horrible idea. We need more help on the lines.

Tempest, Maurkice Pouncey is about the only 1st round rated G/C in the draft. However, there are several very good players at that position that should be available to us in rounds 2-5. Tackle is another story. After the first round, and even in the first round, some tackles will be taken that will be considered projects. There is a lot of talk about replacing O'Hara and Seubert. I think if we select a tackle in round 1, we improve both the tackle position and the Guard position because it theoretically moves Diehl inside. And as others have said, Castonzo can play guard as well, so it sets up nicely for a good competition. Besides, if you're going to pay 1st round money, it might as well be for a tackle, a position that commands more money than the interior linemen anyway.

From a GM's point of view, it makes absolutely zero sense to spend your first round pick on a guard/center and pay that player first round money when you have about 4 starting caliber tackles available at that time of the draft. I think we'd be better off drafting WR at 19 over a G/C, even.

That said, I wouldn't mind it at all if we addressed the interior line in the 2nd, but preferably, 4th or 5th round.

I can say this with near 100% certainty, the NY Giants will not draft Maurkice Pouncey. My guess he goes somewhere between 27-32.

Why does money have anything to do with what round you pick a player? You're going to pay a first round tackle more money than a center. We have drafted a number of tackles that theoretically moves Diehl back to guard. Theoretically Guy Whimper would have been in the lineup or William Beatty would have been the starting left tackle last season. Reality kicked Whimper off the roster and found Beatty not ready.

Drafting a WR is a horrible idea. We need more help on the lines.

It matters as it pertains to value. First round players are going to command more money than players in later rounds... usually it is slotted... the 19th pick is going to make a little more than the 20th pick and a little less than the 18th pick. I have no doubt Pouncey is going to be a fine player, but the reality is you get more value picking a Ijalana, Cannon, Wisniewski, or Hudson in round 2 than you do Pouncey in round 1. There are going to be tackles available, and it's simply smarter to draft a tackle in round 1 than a guard simply because there is more value at guard later in the draft than there is at tackle. A good tackle is very hard to find, it's much easier to find a good guard or center.

EDIT* - If you think about it in terms of economics, the opportunity cost of drafting Pouncey in round 1 is much, much higher than if you draft Castonzo. That cost has to be factored in to your selection.

As far as WR, I pretty much agree with you, I think the team has more pressing needs. Although I think WR is an area of concern because Steve Smith's career is really in jeopardy, but you are right, we do need more help on the lines.

I think Pouncey goes much higher than 27-32, we'll see though.

Me too, Miami will considered him at 15, New England likes Florida players and need to bring youth and depth to their oline. They may lose Logan Mankins and in all probability they are. I think Pouncey goes there at 17, then they take Solder with their own pick to replace Matt Light. I am still hoping the Giants take Ayers that would be my first choice.

:confused:

I was going to say what Tempest said, that Pouncey is going alot higher. I was gonna say to Miami at 15, if Locker wasn't there, and I was going to say that I think Locker will not be there cause the Titans would take him at 8. Has I was writing, it came up that Kenny Britt was arrested on tons of charges, so now I think the Titans go A.J Green and then take Mallett in round two. Still Pouncey is going alot higher.

I was going to say what Tempest said, that Pouncey is going alot higher. I was gonna say to Miami at 15, if Locker wasn't there, and I was going to say that I think Locker will not be there cause the Titans would take him at 8. Has I was writing, it came up that Kenny Britt was arrested on tons of charges, so now I think the Titans go A.J Green and then take Mallett in round two. Still Pouncey is going alot higher.

I want to bet a dollar that Pouncey will be available at our pick... if you accept, you have to give me an address to mail it to, because I'm not doing that Paypal crap. :)

I'm hoping Pouncey goes to the Eagles.

Just put Tempest is right in your Signature for a year and that'll be fine by me if he goes in the top 20.

I want to bet a dollar that Pouncey will be available at our pick... if you accept, you have to give me an address to mail it to, because I'm not doing that Paypal crap. :)

you want him to go to a division rival? I think the Eagles will wait to go O Line unless nothing else is there. I think Bruce Carter or Akeem Ayers, could be options for them. They need a corner, they can wait there too, get Harris in round two.

you want him to go to a division rival? I think the Eagles will wait to go O Line unless nothing else is there. I think Bruce Carter or Akeem Ayers, could be options for them. They need a corner, they can wait there too, get Harris in round two.

Sure. I'd much rather they get him than say, a Jimmy Smith. I guess Ayers is ok, too, because I still think he's going to be an average player. I don't think Harris is going to be there for them when they pick in Rd 2. He's going late in the first or very early in the 2nd. Also, Bruce Carter is going in the 2nd, I believe, and that is a player I'm hoping makes it to us.

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't want the dollar because I can't put a price tag on him going at 15.

You guys see that Philly got a 27 year old OT? :rolleyes:

and they drafted Jarrett who is a in the box safety they have nothing at corner. We are gonna air it out against them, kinda of like of we did last year only this team we don't need to go back to three straight HB draws to "run out the clock"