SportsWrath

NY Post- Strahan wants Plaxico back on Giants

JackStroud

Actually I think this support dooms Plaxico from re-joining the Giants...........the last person's advice Coughlin will follow is his old Nemisis Strahan...........opps If forgot 1st would be Tiki, second Mikey

__________________________________________________________________________________

The Giants remain circumspect about bringing back Plaxico Burress, but Michael Strahan says it's a no-brainer.

Strahan yesterday said he fails to see why the team would pass on Burress if the 33-year-old wide receiver is released as scheduled from a New York state prison in June after serving 21 months on a weapons charge. Asked if he would re-sign his former teammate if he were running the Giants, Strahan said: "If he got out at 4 o'clock, he'd be a Giant by 4:05."

Speaking at a charity event at Chelsea Piers, Strahan, 39, said Michael Vick's successful comeback from a nearly two-year sentence for dogfighting should pave the way for a smooth Burress return.

"The best thing that happened to Plaxico was Michael Vick," the retired Giants defensive end and current FOX Sports NFL pregame host said. "It showed that you did something, you serve your time and that you come out and play and there's redemption in it.

"Plaxico injured himself, so there would probably be a lot more leeway with him than there was with Michael Vick," Strahan added. "If you can forgive [Vick], then you have to forgive Plaxico."

Strahan also said another former teammate, the newly unretired Tiki Barber, also will be an asset should a team take a chance on the 36-year-old running back.

"He wasn't on the decline when he retired," Strahan said. "He's a worker who will bust his butt. I think he can do it. I think he has a few years left in him."

Giants wideout Steve Smith, taking part in the same charity event, said he likely won't be able to run for the first time after microfracture knee surgery until the end of May.

Smith, who had the risky surgery in December, is still able to consult with team doctors during his rehab -- despite the lockout's other restrictions -- and remains upbeat about being available by the start of the regular season if the labor stoppage doesn't interfere.

Smith is a free agent, but whether he will be an unrestricted free agent or a restricted free agent depends on the outcome of the labor talks.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/strahan_plax_deserves_shot_with_QLGEUbIL2jjcVyV29uNynI#ixzz1INUFiZZr

And Burress is a natural fit to come back to the Giants for several reasons, Strahan said, despite the depth team general manager Jerry Reese built at wide receiver in Burress' absence.

Any doubters -- including Reese or coach Tom Coughlin -- should just think back to Burress' contribution to the Giants' magical 2008 Super Bowl run, Strahan added.

"He was Eli's safety blanket," Strahan said. "Without that combination, we don't beat the Packers in cold Lambeau, we don't win the Super Bowl without those two guys playing the way they did together.

"Plaxico's not a bad guy," added Strahan. "He just made a bad decision, a dumb decision which cost him two years. I think he'll be back, hopefully with the Giants. But whoever gets him, he'll be an asset."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/strahan_plax_deserves_shot_with_QLGEUbIL2jjcVyV29uNynI#ixzz1INU5SRNP

"The best thing that happened to Plaxico was Michael Vick," the retired Giants defensive end and current FOX Sports NFL pregame host said. "It showed that you did something, you serve your time and that you come out and play and there's redemption in it.

"Plaxico injured himself, so there would probably be a lot more leeway with him than there was with Michael Vick," Strahan added. "If you can forgive [Vick], then you have to forgive Plaxico."

Strahan makes a good point.

But, the big question is: where is Plaxico's head at? If the Giants were dealing with the old Plaxico, no thanks. But if he realizes that this is his last shot, and understands his role on the team, then, yeah, he could contribute.

I can't forget the tantrums, the late arrivals, the constant, dipshit infractions against team rules......and I can't forget him utterly abusing the Green Bay secondary in the NFCCG, either.

Why then are you posting on a football message board??........you're clogging up the works a bit

And where did you get this insider scoop Swami?

probably the same place you got the insider scoop that the steelers were interested in tiki.

Why then are you posting on a football message board??........you're clogging up the works a bit

And where did you get this insider scoop Swami?

Inside Scoop? It's not rocket science, there will be no football. Smith comes out of the negotiations saying "we just want to play football" Then the next day walks out of a deal. In fact, most of the time they were negotiating, they weren't even the room together. The NFLPA, said that was the owners fault, they offered everything the union asked them to offer, they even offered it publicly. Still wasn't enough, the owners basically said, no matter what the NFLPA were gonna go through with legal recourse. The NFLPA has been wasting everybody's time and effort, keep believing there will be a season. So they can waste more of your time, not mine anymore.

Inside Scoop? It's not rocket science, there will be no football. Smith comes out of the negotiations saying "we just want to play football" Then the next day walks out of a deal. In fact, most of the time they were negotiating, they weren't even the room together. The NFLPA, said that was the owners fault, they offered everything the union asked them to offer, they even offered it publicly. Still wasn't enough, the owners basically said, no matter what the NFLPA were gonna go through with legal recourse. The NFLPA has been wasting everybody's time and effort, keep believing there will be a season. So they can waste more of your time, not mine anymore.

And then you have certain players actually equating playing for the NFL to slavery....it's a big crock of shit and to me, really tarnishes the NFL. I don't know if I can ever feel good about watching football again.

The owners are douchebags, the players are douchebags....I mean, I always kind of knew that but now the curtain is raised for all to see.

And then you have certain players actually equating playing for the NFL to slavery....it's a big crock of shit and to me, really tarnishes the NFL. I don't know if I can ever feel good about watching football again.

The owners are douchebags, the players are douchebags....I mean, I always kind of knew that but now the curtain is raised for all to see.

I am pretty pissed off , I will still watch the draft and the first game they have, whenever it is. I am sucker, I guess :( plus, I have spent a lot of money on Giants related things. I want to be optimistic, but the more and more I hear about the negotiations or lack thereof, the more pessimistic I get.

I am pretty pissed off , I will still watch the draft and the first game they have, whenever it is. I am sucker, I guess :( plus, I have spent a lot of money on Giants related things. I want to be optimistic, but the more and more I hear about the negotiations or lack thereof, the more pessimistic I get.

Exactly, and if this is how they want to repay the fans like all of us here, how can you not be pissed? I'm not even excited for the NFL to come back. I'm disillusioned.

Your bargaining position is tenuous at best when the other side starts their position as "we want you to take less and we want you to work longer, that's our middle ground"

i know player's salaries are the most visible part of this mess but don't think any of the owners are going to the poor house.

And actually, the players are asking the owners to justify their positions by opening their financials. The players financials are completely transparent.

So when you see the players unwilling to negotiate from center, it's because center has been defined by the owners and it is already way off center.

Your bargaining position is tenuous at best when the other side starts their position as "we want you to take less and we want you to work longer, that's our middle ground"

i know player's salaries are the most visible part of this mess but don't think any of the owners are going to the poor house.

And actually, the players are asking the owners to justify their positions by opening their financials. The players financials are completely transparent.

So when you see the players unwilling to negotiate from center, it's because center has been defined by the owners and it is already way off center.

dude, they're employees. I figured you'd look at this from the employer's point of view....

I don't see how they were expected to take less. They were expected NOT to make more, not take less and essentially work the same, with two less preseason games and a lot less off season activities. And the rookie wage scale was a good idea with money saved going to veterans and retired players. It was win win for the players and they wanted more.

dude, they're employees. I figured you'd look at this from the employer's point of view....

I don't see how they were expected to take less. They were expected NOT to make more, not take less and essentially work the same, with two less preseason games and a lot less off season activities. And the rookie wage scale was a good idea with money saved going to veterans and retired players. It was win win for the players and they wanted more.

They're not employees, they're stars. It's quite different. I'm not taking sides at all. This sucks from both sides.

They're not employees, they're stars. It's quite different. I'm not taking sides at all. This sucks from both sides.

I'm sure the current crop of college players would have gladly played for what the players are walking away from right now. You only see one NCAA player on the list as a plaintiff....I just think they have it good and they have no appreciation. No other sport caters to their athletes like the NFL.

And essentially, they really are employees, they work for a man that signs their paycheck and allows them to work in their (and taxpayers, the owners definitely aren't innocent here, they just really do have the higher ground) stadiums.

Out of all this, the fans get screwed the most. They really do. Not only have they been forced to pay for personal seat licenses the past couple years, they pay for the stadiums, ostensibly the player's salaries, and it's still not good enough for all parties. It's fucking ridiculous and I really don't care to watch this crop of babies ever again. One day ten years from now I might be able to, but I honestly don't care to watch football again for quite some time. Let alone give a damn what happens to these overpaid all across the board fuckers.

not a great example. ask that same guy when he blows out a knee. yes they're employees in the sense that they get a W2- just as george clooney and natalie portman are employees. but they are irreplaceable.

not a great example. ask that same guy when he blows out a knee. yes they're employees in the sense that they get a W2- just as george clooney and natalie portman are employees. but they are irreplaceable.

the deal the owners gave them was just a throw together thing, that was a week late and a billions dollars short. All the union said, if you guys are gonna take another one billion off the top, we want to know why? The owners basically said, we don't want to tell you why, and only gave them part of their financial statements. I am hating both sides, I just want football.

IMO, the fans need to stand up now and be heard. The only reason they are fighting over this huge pot of money is because we the fans have agreed to pay exorbitant prices for merchandise, tickets, and beer and food at the stadiums. Hell, here in Tampa you have to pay $25 to PARK at Raymond James Stadium, in a grass lot. $25 for a peice of dirt, before you even step foot in the stadium. And they are talking about raising that to $30. We as consumers have agreed to be screwed for far too long. The owners have priced out the middle class. And now they are fighting over their billions like it's their birthright.

It's time for us to tell them who's #1 with a big foam middle finger in the air. I propose a boycott of all NFL merchandise and tickets unless they come to a reasonable agreement that puts the fans first by August 1st. If you guys are with me, then we can take this to facebook, other NFL forums, and make this a big thing.

WHO IS WITH ME?!

Ya, but that isn't really the argument....if a oil or gas worker blows out a knee they get worker's comp. Why isn't that good enough for a former football player? Because they wouldn't be making 10 million dollars a year? That's bullshit, man....

Ya, but that isn't really the argument....if a oil or gas worker blows out a knee they get worker's comp. Why isn't that good enough for a former football player? Because they wouldn't be making 10 million dollars a year? That's bullshit, man....

Are we now arguing what you said is not the argument? Or is this the new argument? Just want to stay on topic.

I din't think Football Players are entitled to Workers Comp but I could be wrong. If they are career ending injured, they are offered an injury settlement and then tossed aside.

Are we now arguing what you said is not the argument? Or is this the new argument? Just want to stay on topic.

I din't think Football Players are entitled to Workers Comp but I could be wrong. If they are career ending injured, they are offered an injury settlement and then tossed aside.

I would have to imagine it would go by the extent of the injury...I mean, you can't really expect a guy to go back to work that can barely walk, right? You might be right about the workers comp though. I dunno. Regardless, the NFL offers an absolute TON of workshops and career building sessions that the player could attend throughout their careers and that in itself helps with the transition to the work force (Than Merrill and the Real Estate business, for a pretty well known example). And besides, I really don't understand how say, a 1/2 million-2 million dollars a year throughout a career (if even say a 2 or 3 year career) cannot be a good chunk of change to either invest with or at least tide you over until the player does find something. But that's a different side of the story.

And anyway, the NFL was all about instituting retired player benefits, shifting money from the rookies to provide for this along with contributing money themselves, and as far as I know, a player with a career ending injury is still a retired player.

IMO, the fans need to stand up now and be heard. The only reason they are fighting over this huge pot of money is because we the fans have agreed to pay exorbitant prices for merchandise, tickets, and beer and food at the stadiums. Hell, here in Tampa you have to pay $25 to PARK at Raymond James Stadium, in a grass lot. $25 for a peice of dirt, before you even step foot in the stadium. And they are talking about raising that to $30. We as consumers have agreed to be screwed for far too long. The owners have priced out the middle class. And now they are fighting over their billions like it's their birthright.

It's time for us to tell them who's #1 with a big foam middle finger in the air. I propose a boycott of all NFL merchandise and tickets unless they come to a reasonable agreement that puts the fans first by August 1st. If you guys are with me, then we can take this to facebook, other NFL forums, and make this a big thing.

WHO IS WITH ME?!

the dog agrees with most of what you are saying, and unfortunately, the fans, whether they want to believe it or not, have contributed to the issue. a great player is available in free agency, ever fan rants to sign him...most often regardless of the price...then fans go out and pay all the costs you are referencing above and complain about it every step of the way, but still do it. then they go and pay money to get that player's signature on some piece of paper...ball...etc...the dog would love to see the fans boycott the first home game for every team. let them go out and play in front of an empty stadium. not that it would make a difference (kind of like the feeble attempts people make to pick a day when nobody purchases gas...), but it would be comical to have happen. Never would happen, but it would be comical...

the dog would love to see the fans boycott the first home game for every team. let them go out and play in front of an empty stadium. not that it would make a difference (kind of like the feeble attempts people make to pick a day when nobody purchases gas...), but it would be comical to have happen. Never would happen, but it would be comical...

That would be a terrific way to protest....you should Facebook that idea.