SportsWrath

NFLPA Now Telling It's Players To Boycott Next Month's NFL Draft

Mr. P

call me idiot, but isn't there no NFL right now. Under a work stoppage the NFL basically doesn't exist. So why would Goodell even go to the draft himself, and call the names of picks that are not going to work for him or any team for awhile. These kids should have the option to go back to school especially if they are underclassmen. They have no experience in anything, other then playing football. Even seniors are not gonna get a job. This kids who have been playing their way into the nfl for their whole life, will be working at McDonalds or Burger King just to pay the bills.

call me idiot, but isn't there no NFL right now. Under a work stoppage the NFL basically doesn't exist. So why would Goodell even go to the draft himself, and call the names of picks that are not going to work for him or any team for awhile. These kids should have the option to go back to school especially if they are underclassmen. They have no experience in anything, other then playing football. Even seniors are not gonna get a job. This kids who have been playing their way into the nfl for their whole life, will be working at McDonalds or Burger King just to pay the bills.

To the best of my knowledge they are not members of the NFLPA until they are signed by a team...which brings me back to the "How can the NFLPA be interacting with them".....I mean if the teams cannot interact with the players in any form during this work stoppage how can the NFLPA interact with a future player who isn't an NFLPA member...but anyways back to your point all they are doing is drafting the rights to negotiate with the players. It is a system entirely independent of any CBA.

To the best of my knowledge they are not members of the NFLPA until they are signed by a team...which brings me back to the "How can the NFLPA be interacting with them".....I mean if the teams cannot interact with the players in any form during this work stoppage how can the NFLPA interact with a future player who isn't an NFLPA member...but anyways back to your point all they are doing is drafting the rights to negotiate with the players. It is a system entirely independent of any CBA.

I got it, but still don't get why Goodell would even announce the pick of a player who will eventually be part of the union. Teams can not still not sign any of these draft picks to a contract. Even though they can negotiate a future contract.

I got it, but still don't get why Goodell would even announce the pick of a player who will eventually be part of the union. Teams can not still not sign any of these draft picks to a contract. Even though they can negotiate a future contract.

They can't negotiate a future contract their ability to negotiate is limited to the team that drafted them. AFTER a new CBA is signed.

Hopefully these kids majored in something other than burger flipping. I mean, that's why you go to college, right? To get an education. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are that many underclassmen who declared.

Hopefully these kids majored in something other than burger flipping. I mean, that's why you go to college, right? To get an education. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are that many underclassmen who declared.

I am sure there is lots of opportunities for business communications majors. :smartass:

I don't think stake in a 33rd team is reasonable.

I think even more reasonable would be for the players to raise the cash and buy a minor league. Which then becomes the major league.

If the new league had the players, I'd say fuck the NFL. The players are why we watch. The NFL owners don't seem to understand that.

out of the top 32 prospects, 20 of them are underclassmen. Even if they are seniors, I am sure they didn't do anything to get experience in their chosen major.

DeMaurice Smith comes off as more of an a-hole than he's already looked by doing this. How self-serving can you be? Boycotting the draft does NOTHING to advance negotiations with owners. All it does is cause greater conflict and causes the owners to dig in their heels even more. At the same time, these players that have worked so hard to realize their dream are told to NOT have their moment to shine? Not have that great feeling of being there at Radio City Music Hall and hearing their name called, shaking the commissioner's hand and putting on their new team's hat?

To try and take that moment away from these young guys is completely selfish and I hope these guys tell DeMaurice Smith that they aren't part of any union yet, and in fact the NFLPA doesn't even exist right now so he can go pound sand. Let the kids have their day in the sun.

DeMaurice Smith comes off as more of an a-hole than he's already looked by doing this. How self-serving can you be? Boycotting the draft does NOTHING to advance negotiations with owners. All it does is cause greater conflict and causes the owners to dig in their heels even more. At the same time, these players that have worked so hard to realize their dream are told to NOT have their moment to shine? Not have that great feeling of being there at Radio City Music Hall and hearing their name called, shaking the commissioner's hand and putting on their new team's hat?

To try and take that moment away from these young guys is completely selfish and I hope these guys tell DeMaurice Smith that they aren't part of any union yet, and in fact the NFLPA doesn't even exist right now so he can go pound sand. Let the kids have their day in the sun.

I agree with this, the players going to the draft seems like it would benefit the NFLPA. Like Lubz said, I am not sure why the union is even talking to these college kids when they are not a part of it yet. It does make Smith and the players look like babies who just wanted legal maneuvering instead of coming face to face to get a deal done. Still I am going to watch the draft, this lockout really doesn't affect it that much. It more affects free agency, cause players that are free agents will probably have to sign with their current team onces a deal gets done. They will possibly have no OTA's to get accustomed to their new team. It does make any trades being done on draft day, impossible as well. It would of been interesting to see what teams would of done and what players would of been available.

out of the top 32 prospects, 20 of them are underclassmen. Even if they are seniors, I am sure they didn't do anything to get experience in their chosen major.

I stand corrected. This is what happens when one pops off at the mouth before Googling.

I stand corrected. This is what happens when one pops off at the mouth before Googling.

I few of them decided to return to school, like Andrew Luck who would of been the 1st overall pick. Along with some other top prospects.