SportsWrath

NFLPA Now Telling It's Players To Boycott Next Month's NFL Draft

Mr. P

An offseason turned upside down will continue to get odder.

The NFL Players Association is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending next month's draft in New York, according to multiple league sources. The NFLPA already has contacted 17 top prospects that ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft and informed them not to go.

Thus, when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announces the name of the first player selected, the player will not walk on to the stage at Radio City Music Hall as has been the custom. And the player will not be there to do interviews with ESPN or NFL Network. The draft will go on, but not in the manner in which it has been conducted before.

"As of right now, this is 100 percent happening," said one source familiar with the Players Association's thinking. "This is going down."

The Players Association even has gone so far as to consider placing the players on another competing network to do post-pick interviews, though no final decisions have been made. Another source said that, in this day and age, it's possible that the top prospects also could appear on a social media network platform, only.

Yet another source suggested the NFL still could try to pay the incoming rookies to attend the draft, but it is something the league never has done in the past.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6216135

I dont like this tactic......it smells as does that union guy.......he looks like he prefers a fight to a settlement

Lets go with the replacement players.....I actually get a kick out of watching them for a few games

or how about this get management to lower ticket prices commesurate with the money they save on lower player salaries

also if they want 18 games they have to go with 60 man active rosters

Wow, The Players Association is really coming off little a little kid throwing a temper tantrum. There are doing a horrendous job on the Public opinion front.

I am Pro Player .

oh and for the record PSL's should be illegal I know completely off topic but just saying

I am pro player also. I am just commenting on how horrible they have been on the pr portion of this dispute

Actually they want to play even with out a contract like they did in the early 90's they are just taking it to an even playing field now by going to the court I feel . I mean really , look at Jerry Jones and Al Davis would you trust them???? hell I Wouldn't and don't trust Mara and Tisch . The Owners want more money off the top amd dont want to show their books. Then they play it off like its the players fault and they side with the fans. PAHHHHLEASE. the only side of the fans they want to be on is whatever side the carry their wallet in.

I think It would be Awesomely Great to have the 2011 draft picks to snub Goodell could you imagine how red his face would be on stage just announcing names ... better yet if the players show up no to even go up on stage.... Just walk out with that teams shop steward

The Owners want more money off the top amd dont want to show their books.

So what? I'm pretty God damned good at my job, and the owner of my company makes money off what I do. He's also a tight wad and hasn't given me a raise in 4 years. If I went to him and said "I know you're making money off me, I want a cut" and he said "The economy sucks, can't afford it", and I replied "Bullshit. Show me the books"........after he was done laughing at me, I'd be standing in the unemployment line. They're owners, they own teams to make money, just as my boss owns the company to make money. Is it a shit headed thing to do? Yup. That's business. Don't like it? Buy a team.

What I don't understand is the owners cutting off their noses despite their faces. Why lock out the players if there's no CBA? You'd think the owners would be happy without a CBA. They'd just say to the players "Hey, superstar, yeah you're a top notch wide out, but you know what? We pay $100,000 a season for wide outs. Don't like that? Find another team". Like any business, here's the job offer. You like it? Great, welcome aboard. You don't? Good luck with your search. Especially now with no "union". The whole thing is ridiculous.

So what? I'm pretty God damned good at my job, and the owner of my company makes money off what I do. He's also a tight wad and hasn't given me a raise in 4 years. If I went to him and said "I know you're making money off me, I want a cut" and he said "The economy sucks, can't afford it", and I replied "Bullshit. Show me the books"........after he was done laughing at me, I'd be standing in the unemployment line. They're owners, they own teams to make money, just as my boss owns the company to make money. Is it a shit headed thing to do? Yup. That's business. Don't like it? Buy a team.

What I don't understand is the owners cutting off their noses despite their faces. Why lock out the players if there's no CBA? You'd think the owners would be happy without a CBA. They'd just say to the players "Hey, superstar, yeah you're a top notch wide out, but you know what? We pay $100,000 a season for wide outs. Don't like that? Find another team". Like any business, here's the job offer. You like it? Great, welcome aboard. You don't? Good luck with your search. Especially now with no "union". The whole thing is ridiculous.

I tend to be pro owner but I have to admit the players have a good argument. Yes the owners are the ones paying their salaries, they are the ones paying for the infrastructure that supports the system, they are the ones paying, at least in part, for the stadiums, but they aren't the ones delivering the product. The product is the direct result of the players. Whereas in any other non-sport related business the boss is the one who is generally driving the business and using their knowledge to provide the product the product in the NFL is the players.

I tend to be pro owner but I have to admit the players have a good argument. Yes the owners are the ones paying their salaries, they are the ones paying for the infrastructure that supports the system, they are the ones paying, at least in part, for the stadiums, but they aren't the ones delivering the product. The product is the direct result of the players. Whereas in any other non-sport related business the boss is the one who is generally driving the business and using their knowledge to provide the product the product in the NFL is the players.

I agree the players have a good argument. Some of their requests are reasonable. The owners should take care of their own in retirement and medical seeing as the job the players do can lead to life changing injuries. Even the military does that and more. I guess my main point was about opening up the books being an issue.

The other thing I don't understand is the NFLPA's resistance to a rookie salary cap. The owners offered a solution that would disperse money saved from that to veteran players. Why would a veteran have an issue getting more money because an unproven player gets paid less? Where else in the world does someone get paid multi millions for potentially being great? I've been with my company for 6 years now, and if some inexperienced douchebag sauntered into my office and got paid twice what I did, I'd be more that a little pissed. Prove you're the best, get the money. It ain't rocket science.

The other thing I don't understand is the NFLPA's resistance to a rookie salary cap. The owners offered a solution that would disperse money saved from that to veteran players. Why would a veteran have an issue getting more money because an unproven player gets paid less? Where else in the world does someone get paid multi millions for potentially being great? I've been with my company for 6 years now, and if some inexperienced douchebag sauntered into my office and got paid twice what I did, I'd be more that a little pissed. Prove you're the best, get the money. It ain't rocket science.

Honestly this is the first time I've heard the players having an issue with the rookie salary cap. Some dumbfuck who is respected by the sports media as an NFL reporter (I think it was Don Banks but it might have been his fuckbuddy and worst sports journalist in the world Peter King) said on WFAN the other day that the players agreed to a rookie pay scale.

Honestly this is the first time I've heard the players having an issue with the rookie salary cap. Some dumbfuck who is respected by the sports media as an NFL reporter (I think it was Don Banks but it might have been his fuckbuddy and worst sports journalist in the world Peter King) said on WFAN the other day that the players agreed to a rookie pay scale.

This isn't where I heard it originally, it might have been one of the many NFL.com stories, but here's one story about it: Link

Figured I'd Google it instead of popping off at the mouth.

This isn't where I heard it originally, it might have been one of the many NFL.com stories, but here's one story about it: Link

Figured I'd Google it instead of popping off at the mouth.

Honestly I can't even rebuke that cause I've brought the I'll Google That For You hammer down on people so well played sir. I'd even like to respond to your mild rebuke of me with the popping of the mouth comment but you are totally in the right so you get a gold star.

I agree the players have a good argument. Some of their requests are reasonable. The owners should take care of their own in retirement and medical seeing as the job the players do can lead to life changing injuries. Even the military does that and more. I guess my main point was about opening up the books being an issue.

I don't think stake in a 33rd team is reasonable.

Honestly I can't even rebuke that cause I've brought the I'll Google That For You hammer down on people so well played sir. I'd even like to respond to your mild rebuke of me with the popping of the mouth comment but you are totally in the right so you get a gold star.

LOL, I wasn't trying to imply anything against you, more like just trying to post what I thought I had read somewhere and didn't want to look like more of an idiot than I am.