SportsWrath

Friday March 11th 11:59pm

BlueInCanada

Well the deadline is fast approaching for the CBA talks between the NFLPA and the Owners, if no agreement is made by 11:59 of tomorrow then there is no football for the 2011 season. The draft will still be a go in April since the past CBA is still in effect until then, however free agents can no longer be signed to a team or any trades of players made between teams if a deal isnt worked out for this coming season.

Hard to imagine that there is a real chance of no football happening in 2011.

can't the networks sue these guys or something?

Who are they going to sue?

The NFLPA and the Owners are both at fault, the NFLPA doesn't want to play for the current CBA and the owners dont want a new one. Goodell and the NFL are just moderators in this whole mess and they cant do anything.

It's up to the owners and the players union to come to a deal.

The NFLPA and the Owners are both at fault, the NFLPA doesn't want to play for the current CBA and the owners dont want a new one. Goodell and the NFL are just moderators in this whole mess and they cant do anything.

Apparently the biggest obstacle now is getting owners to open their books up. I am liking this DeMaurice Smith he seems like he wants a deal done. And the players are dead set against not playing 18 games, Smith is working off his ass for the players.

Apparently the biggest obstacle now is getting owners to open their books up. I am liking this DeMaurice Smith he seems like he wants a deal done. And the players are dead set against not playing 18 games, Smith is working off his ass for the players.

They should be; an 18 game season is ridiculous unless they start using robots. Most teams can't make it through the season as it is.

the owners who they entered into a contract with

No deal will get worked out by midnight. Players will get locked out, whether or not we miss any regular time during the season is anyone's guess after midnight.

One thing I would like to see is an expanded roster. At least 10 more roster spots across the board.

Actually the NFLPA was just fine with the current CBA. It was the owners that cancelled it because they felt the players were getting to big of a share and claiming that they are losing money.

So feel this comes down to the Owners feeling the players were making to much and they don't want to pay them. The owners refuse to open the books to show the NFLPA where the money is going.

So frankly I am with the players on this one. If there wasn't something shady about what the owners want they would have no problem opening the books.

Actually the NFLPA was just fine with the current CBA. It was the owners that cancelled it because they felt the players were getting to big of a share and claiming that they are losing money.

So feel this comes down to the Owners feeling the players were making to much and they don't want to pay them. The owners refuse to open the books to show the NFLPA where the money is going.

So frankly I am with the players on this one. If there wasn't something shady about what the owners want they would have no problem opening the books.

The owners do have a point in one respect... there are local revenue streams that count towards the salary cap/floor that aren't subject to revenue sharing, so the small market teams eventually would get reamed under the existing CBA.

But they're also trying to get the players from ~60% of league revenue to closer to 40%... and that's not equitable. So other than one minor point, I'm completely with the players as well.

It's official the NFLPA has applied for decertification after making demands to the owners of 10 years of audited financial to extended talks.

It's official they will miss regular season games, if not the whole season. No way are they getting a deal done in 6 months now. The NFLPA will now sue the NFL for antitrust.

It's official they will miss regular season games, if not the whole season. No way are they getting a deal done in 6 months now. The NFLPA will now sue the NFL for antitrust.

from what ive read, the decertification and going to court was the best chance of actually getting football for us when its time to play.

Funny enough, I guess the owners put forth a proposal that was very beneficial to the former NFLPA which even gave into most of their demands but Smith and crew turned it away.

I doubt playing time is missed though, alot of talking heads and legal experts being phoned in are saying that a deal and the court proceedings will be done with before Aug/Sept but alot of things like OTAs/Training camps will be missed.

John Mara says union wasn’t serious about negotiating

In a rapid-fire press conference outside the offices of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service in Washington, Giants co-owner John Mara bluntly but respectfully accused the union of failing to proceed in good faith during the recent stretch of bargaining.

“This obviously is a very disappointing day for all of us,” Mara said. “I’ve been here for the better part of two weeks now. And essentially during that two-week period the union’s position on the core economic issues has not changed, one iota. Their position has basically been ‘take it or leave it,’ and they’ve in effect they’ve been at the same position since last September.

“We made an offer to them today to basically split the difference between the two sides. We made that approximately at 12 o’clock, and at 4 o’clock they came back and said that it was insufficent and they apparently have decided to decertify.

“One thing that became painfully apparent to me during this period was that their objective was to go the litigation route. I think that they believe that that gives them the best leverage. I never really got the feeling during the past two weeks that they were serious about negotiating, and it’s unfortunate because that’s not what collective bargaining is all about. I think eventually we’ll be back at the table, but unfortunately now we’re going to have to go through this process now, where we’re in court.”

The fact that an offer was made at noon and a response came only four hours later suggests one of two realities. First, the union may have intentionally delayed responding in order to back the owners into a corner late in the day. Second, the union may have seriously considered the offer, possibly with plenty of tension and disagreement in the room.

If it’s the latter, look for cracks to quickly emerge among the players, some of whom may be regretting the decision not to accept the offer — or to continue to talk.

That said, talking may continue. But the offer made today may not be back on the table any time soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/john-mara-says-union-wasnt-serious-about-negotiating/

No deal will get worked out by midnight. Players will get locked out, whether or not we miss any regular time during the season is anyone's guess after midnight.

One thing I would like to see is an expanded roster. At least 10 more roster spots across the board.

I agree...get rid of a couple of pre season games as well. There is your 18 game season.

Yeah I agree with this too...nothing to hide open it up. And if it is as you say, then the players are adrift in the ocean without an engine.

Yeah I agree with this too...nothing to hide open it up. And if it is as you say, then the players are adrift in the ocean without an engine.

Look up a few posts the owners said they would give the NFLPA their last five years of finance to a mutual third part auditor to be looked at, the NFLPA refused.

apparently they did open it up, but not to the satisfaction of the NFLPA. I was on the players side, but after what happened today I think I am with the owners. The NFLPA had no intention of ever getting a deal done, like has been said. Apparently the labor board has done everything in their power to negotiate but the NFLPA has turned everything away and said it's not good enough, guys like Brees are really starting to piss me off.

from what ive read, the decertification and going to court was the best chance of actually getting football for us when its time to play.

there is gonna be like 5 or 6 different lawsuits and those court proceedings are not gonna be quick. Even after all that they need to negotiate, which they have been trying to do for the last four years and it has gotten them to this point, which is like three steps back.

NFL STATEMENT

The fastest way to a fair agreement is for both the union and the clubs to continue the mediation process. Unfortunately, the players' union has notified our office that at 4 p.m. ET it had "decertified" and is walking away from mediation and collective bargaining, presumably to initiate the antitrust litigation it has been threatening to file. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, the clubs offered a deal that would have had no adverse financial impact upon veteran players in the early years and would meet the players' financial demands in the latter years.

The union left a very good deal on the table. It included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; ensure no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

The union was offered financial disclosure of audited league and club profitability information that is not even shared with the NFL clubs.

The expanded health and safety rules would include a reduction in offseason programs of five weeks (from 14 to nine) and of OTAs (Organized Team Activities) from 14 to 10; significant reductions in the amount of contact in practices; and other changes.

At a time when thousands of employees are fighting for their collective bargaining rights, this union has chosen to abandon collective bargaining in favor of a sham 'decertification' and antitrust litigation. This litigation maneuver is built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement.

The NFL clubs remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached. The NFL calls on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eb9686/article/nflpa-nfl-release-statements-about-labor-situation?module=HP_headlines

The NFLPA turned away this deal, seriously fuck em.