SportsWrath

Tiki Redux?

Gman329

Tiki Coming back? Yawn....

Well, here's something odd on what's shaping up to be a weird NFL afternoon: Tiki Barber, former NFL running back and TV host and sports reporter, has filed papers with the NFL to come out of retirement and return to playing football.

That's according to his management agency, MAXX Talent, anyway.

"BREAKING NEWS #maxxclient Tiki Barber has filed the papers with the NFL to officially come out of retirement," the agency tweeted on Tuesday afternoon.

For those wondering, no, this doesn't make much sense at all.

Presumably, the logic behind this move involves Tiki recently divorcing his wife (alimony and child support aren't cheap, folks) and having that divorce result in his disappearance from the television to the Interwebs (he got booted from NBC's The Today Show and moving to Yahoo! Sports).

That is to say, he would probably like to earn a couple more NFL-sized paychecks to help keep up his current lifestyle.

Or maybe he's just inspired by his twin brother, Ronde, who re-upped with the Bucs for a one-year deal recently.

After seeing how much fun Ronde is still having it re-ignited my fire and I'm looking forward to the challenge of seeing if I can get back to the level of where I was," Tiki told FOX Sports' Jay Glazer.

The process, for those wondering, is that the Giants will need to activate Tiki and then decide whether or not they want to release him or hold onto him. Considering the kind words he's had for Tom Coughlin's team as an analyst, though, that seems pretty unlikely.

But there are some other (obvious) problems to this return, outside of whether the Giants need him. Like, does Tiki realize that we're in the middle of a week where the NFL and NFLPA are negotiating whether there will even be an NFL season next year? Because if he doesn't, he probably should.

He should probably also realize that he's 35-years-old, he hasn't played in four years and that if he does get inked by a team, it's likely he won't be signing for a max deal.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27805690

The sad thing is that Tiki could very well walk into our backfield and become the #1 option. He's probably in very good shape and he hasn't had any toll on his body in 4 years. Probably lost a step or 2. Giants would never let him wear the uniform again. I bet he ends up with Rex.

The sad thing is that Tiki could very well walk into our backfield and become the #1 option. He's probably in very good shape and he hasn't had any toll on his body in 4 years. Probably lost a step or 2. Giants would never let him wear the uniform again. I bet he ends up with Rex.

As much as I'd hate to agree.. I do. Tiki was a good athlete.. too bad her personality sucks.

Nothing wrong with Tiki's personality

Its terrible Tom who has the ugly personality

I predict Tiki will lead the Jets to their 1st Lombardi since SuperBowl III

If the Giants release him they cannot control where he goes.....the smarter move would be sign and trade him

smarter yet would be get rid of Coughy and play him

As much as I'd hate to agree.. I do. Tiki was a good athlete.. too bad her personality sucks.

There's a lot of ex giants out there with much worse personalty issues than Tiki, and are more revered for some reason. There's a certain level of anticipation about Plaxico returning to the Giants when he gets out of jail. God knows Plaxico doesn't have any personalty flaws at all right??

I dont think I've ever bashed Tiki for what he had to say, people have opinions (they may be wrong) but whatever he gave what he could to the Giants which I think gave him the right to say what he wants.

I can't see him making a come back at all, I can't recall a single player who has come back from a 5 year "retirement" and been anything special. I think he is hoping for a nice little contract to bring in some money the easy way in all honesty. It will be interesting to see what happens but I dont see him starting let alone playing anywhere come week one... if there is a week one.

But Antonio Pierce, the former Giants linebacker, says his old teammate won't add much to the locker room of any team that decides to add him in terms of leadership.

"I didn't get a chance to get to know who Tiki Barber was the person," Pierce said. "I know him as a player and the guy was great and we always congratulate each other, the way we played."

"But what he did in that locker room my two years with him, he didn't do anything but deteriorate that team," Pierce added. "And he didn't help us out. I don't see this guy as a leader or somebody that can help you out. And that's my problem with him. That is why I believe they [the Giants] will release him because he is going to cause nothing but problems for that team."

I'll bet Tiki has another good season in him... maybe only one. There are certain guys you just don't bet against in terms of how much they will work to get in superior physcial shape. Tiki is one of those guys. His twin is still playing well for the Bucs, so I don't see why Tiki, not taking the hits the last 4 years, would not come in with fresh legs and in great shape, and put together a real good season for some team.

Tiki is going down as one of my all time favorite Giants. I just hope he doesn't do to one of our division rivals. It would really taint my image of him. I hope he is able to play with his brother here in Tampa, I may go see him play if that is the case, maybe get my jersey signed if I'm lucky.

But no, I wouldn't want Tiki back on the Giants, because the bridges are burnt... and that's not totally on Tiki. But also, from a football standpoint, I would rather have the two-headed monster of Bradshaw and Jacobs back, or possibly a young, stud rookie. The team has moved on. Best of luck to Tiki.

Nothing wrong with Tiki's personality

Its terrible Tom who has the ugly personality

I predict Tiki will lead the Jets to their 1st Lombardi since SuperBowl III

If the Giants release him they cannot control where he goes.....the smarter move would be sign and trade him

smarter yet would be get rid of Coughy and play him

Jack, you certainly haven't lost a step.

There's a lot of ex giants out there with much worse personalty issues than Tiki, and are more revered for some reason. There's a certain level of anticipation about Plaxico returning to the Giants when he gets out of jail. God knows Plaxico doesn't have any personalty flaws at all right??

If you had to pick Tiki or Plaxico I'd rather choose Tiki. Plaxico has been nothing but a headcase from day one in the NFL and he never reformed. Jail isn't suddenly going to make him a better person.

But Antonio Pierce, the former Giants linebacker, says his old teammate won't add much to the locker room of any team that decides to add him in terms of leadership.

"I didn't get a chance to get to know who Tiki Barber was the person," Pierce said. "I know him as a player and the guy was great and we always congratulate each other, the way we played."

"But what he did in that locker room my two years with him, he didn't do anything but deteriorate that team," Pierce added. "And he didn't help us out. I don't see this guy as a leader or somebody that can help you out. And that's my problem with him. That is why I believe they [the Giants] will release him because he is going to cause nothing but problems for that team."

this from a guy who blew airhorns at reporters took Spiderman into NY with a gun in his sweatpants, and could not defend a pass from your 4 yr old daughter...........consider the source

To me this is a no brainer. If Tiki can come in as physicaly fit as he was when he left, or even close, then you keep him. Make him the best back up in the league. He's got 2 years in him. I highly doubt he's gonna come in still talking trash.

sadly the Giants announced they arent interested...........he tangled with Captain Queeg.........so hes persona non grata

Interesting Tiki said he would have played a few more years but Coughlin was too much to stomach........were hearing this recurring statement over and over now......isnt that what a few guys on the roster today already said?

He must be a more miserable SOB than we even thought

Mike Strahan loves him from afar LOL

You know, you're right. As a fan I'm willing to give Tiki a chance.. who knows. Him and Plax back may give us a spark.. or that one spark we need to get over the hump.

sadly the Giants announced they arent interested...........he tangled with Captain Queeg.........so hes persona non grata

Interesting Tiki said he would have played a few more years but Coughlin was too much to stomach........were hearing this recurring statement over and over now......isnt that what a few guys on the roster today already said?

He must be a more miserable SOB than we even thought

Mike Strahan loves him from afar LOL

yeah this was established like 2 days ago.