SportsWrath

Giants resign Hixon

Bigblue25

Domenik Hixon says he's agreed to terms with Giants on a new deal

Published: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 10:28 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 10:52 PM

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Giants wide receiver and returner Domenik Hixon said he's agreed to terms with the team on a new contract and will sign it on Thursday morning.

Hours after signing D.J. Ware to a contract extension, the Giants have apparently come to terms on a deal with another impending restricted free agent.

Wide receiver/returner Domenik Hixon wrote on his Facebook page earlier tonight he and the team have reached an agreement on an undisclosed contract.

"God answers PRAYERS! My agent and I have been negotiating with the Giants and it looks like we have came to terms!" Hixon wrote. "Going to sign the papers in the a.m. and make this thing official! Thank God and all the support from family, friends and fans!!! Thank You and GO G-MEN!!!"

Terms of the impending agreement are not yet available.

Hixon, 26, missed all of last season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in a practice at the New Meadowlands Stadium. He was placed on injured reserve and made few appearances in the locker room during the season. Without Hixon, the Giants' return games struggled, as the team finished 31st in kick-return average and tied for last in the NFL in punt-return average. Hixon averaged 15.1 yards per punt return in 2009.

Hixon also had 58 receptions combined in 2008 and '09. His injury last spring was the first of many that hampered the Giants' depth chart at receiver.

Yeah BIGBLUE, not only does Hixon stabilize the return game, but he's also a veteran receiver who has been productive as a starter for us. He could be very valuable if Steve Smith is not resigned or he cannot come back effectively from his knee injury next season. I could really see Hixon excelling in the slot with Nicks and Manningham on the outside.

Yeah BIGBLUE, not only does Hixon stabilize the return game, but he's also a veteran receiver who has been productive as a starter for us. He could be very valuable if Steve Smith is not resigned or he cannot come back effectively from his knee injury next season. I could really see Hixon excelling in the slot with Nicks and Manningham on the outside.

Oh yeah Jim, I totally agree. He did good for us as a WR, and I was thinking the same thing, Hixon in the slot with Nicks and Mario.

Slightly off topic......what do you think will become of Ramses? Do you think he'll ever see the field for a decent amount of playing time?

I love this signing, I really like Hixon. Now we have a capable return man, thank goodness. Please, someone show Darius Reynaud the door quickly. <_<

Tom Rock TomRock_Newsday

Giants sign Hixon, Reynaud to extensions.

Oh yeah Jim, I totally agree. He did good for us as a WR, and I was thinking the same thing, Hixon in the slot with Nicks and Mario.

Slightly off topic......what do you think will become of Ramses? Do you think he'll ever see the field for a decent amount of playing time?

He Showed a Little last season before going down. Its hard for him to get on the field being so raw and all the talent around him

JERRY REESE YOU IS STOOOOOOOPID IMGRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if its just a Giants curse or something. I mean, when Brian Mitchell came to us years ago, he was tops in the league at the return game, and he stunk bad. He did what Darius does.....falls down when the wind blows. :rolleyes:

I think Ramses will be fighting for a roster spot this camp. We'll have a better indication after the draft, and pending the CBA negotiations, with what happens with Steve Smith. I hope Ramses can explode and realize the potential the Giants saw in him when they drafted him, but honestly I think his time is running out.

It's a numbers game when you get to camp. With Hixon, Manningham, and Nicks solidified in roster spots, then you have to look at how they are going to round out the rest of that position group when they get down to 53. I think Coughlin ideally will want to go with 6 receivers, so you have 3 more spots. Does Steve Smith come back? That's one less. What happens with Victor Cruz? Then you have Devin Thomas and Michael Clayton. The Giants may want to give those guys another shot in camp since they were both high draft picks and could be huge bargains.

So I think it's going to be a pretty intense camp competition, and Barden is going to have to win a spot, and then try and work himself up the depth chart. Unfortunately for us, for him to see any real playing time we are probably going to have to suffer some injuries at the position.

Our return game had far more issues than just the returner.

A guy who could break a few tackles could hide some blocking deficiencies. as long as we average out better field position than our kicking game gives away, that's a win. It's been a few years since that has happened, I think.