SportsWrath

Round 2 and 3

parlintm

Alston is way more athletic than Hodge. No comparison.

Hodge

4.66 40-time

25 reps

1.62 10-yard

2.75 20-yard

31 vertical

9-0 broad jump

4.30 short shuttle

7.09 3-cone

22 wonderlic

Alston

4.40 40-time

30 reps

1.53 10-yard

2.54 20-yard

40-inch vertical

11-0 broad jump

4.13 short shuttle

6.90 3-cone

30 wonderlic

Where did I argue athleticism? My reason for liking Hodge over Alston is due to what I feel are superior skills in defending the run. I already stated Alston has the better cover skills, which the agility drill results support. However Alston has difficulty fighting off blocks. He doesn't find his way through traffic well. Hodge on the other hand is a pure run stuffing MIKE. He's a liability in pass coverage so I don't think he'll ever be an everydown player. But he can be a valuable backup to Pierce, something we're currently lacking. We all saw how the defense performed without Pierce so my feeling is that if we can get a solid interior backup it's not a bad move. It makes even more sense if we pick up Ryans or Carpenter in the first round as we won't have nearly as glaring a need on the outside. However if we don't go OLB in round 1 than I'm a bit more open to the idea of Alston in round 2.

Where did I argue athleticism? My reason for liking Hodge over Alston is due to what I feel are superior skills in defending the run. I already stated Alston has the better cover skills, which the agility drill results support. However Alston has difficulty fighting off blocks. He doesn't find his way through traffic well. Hodge on the other hand is a pure run stuffing MIKE. He's a liability in pass coverage so I don't think he'll ever be an everydown player. But he can be a valuable backup to Pierce, something we're currently lacking. We all saw how the defense performed without Pierce so my feeling is that if we can get a solid interior backup it's not a bad move. It makes even more sense if we pick up Ryans or Carpenter in the first round as we won't have nearly as glaring a need on the outside. However if we don't go OLB in round 1 than I'm a bit more open to the idea of Alston in round 2.

Armstead said Alston was a "tad" more athletic. Fact is, these two players are in different atmospheres when it comes to pure athletic ability. Unlikes other workout warriors, or what scientists call "Mamulas," Alston can play.

I like Hodge. But I'd prefer not to use a 1st day pick on a back-up. We can find a decent back-up on Day 2 or even bring back Greisen to be the primary back-up for all 3 LB spots.

I think there's a general consensus among board members regarding the first round pick and who it should be. I think most of us expect to draft Carpenter, Greenway or Ryans in the first. If you think its someobody else, I dont want to hear it. I want to hear who people like in the 2nd and 3rd. As for me, just take a look at my mock.

Round 2: Demetrius Williams - This guy is talented and a phenomenal deep threat. He's got the potential to be a #1 WR so he could potentially replace Toomer in a few years. Im not quite sold on this pick yet and am open to other suggestions.

Round 3: Dusty Dvoacek - He's a super talented DT but will drop in the draft because of off the field issues. He's had numerous incidents with fighting and alcohol but I've read that he's stayed out of trouble lately. This guy is just as big as bunkley and only a fraction slower. He's plays with a constant motor and intensity that the Giants could use in the middle of their line. I also read that he had one of the highest Wonderlic tests out of everyone in the draft and was an honor student. Personally, I think he's a steal here and Id be willing to take him in the second.

I dont like taking a WR in round 2. I like Dvoravcek as a 2 round DT. I dont think he last that deep into the third. If we want him we will have to reach just a little bit.

Pizan, what do you think of my updated mock? Im all for reaching to get Dusty. Id trade a future draft pick to move up in the third if that's what we think its going to take. It shouldnt bee too expensive and I think hes worth it.

Pizan, what do you think of my updated mock? Im all for reaching to get Dusty. Id trade a future draft pick to move up in the third if that's what we think its going to take. It shouldnt bee too expensive and I think hes worth it.

My mock:

Round 1: Demeco Ryans OLB -- A very solid football player. Can start from day 1.

Round 2: Jon Alston OLB -- Phenomenal athlete and we sure could use the depth.

Round 3: Dusty Dvoracek DT -- Cleary huge need. Strong, fast, smart and mean. Everything you want in DT.

Round 4: Will Blackmon CB -- An athletic corner who played WR last year. Perfect build for CB just needs time.

Round 5: Domenik Hixon WR -- Solid receiver out of Akron. Not invited to combine but ran 4.36-4.39.

Round 6: Seppo Evwaraye OT -- Mammoth playor who is quick for his size. Needs to be developed.

Round 7: Shawn Willis FB -- This guy can hit hard. Played defense for 2 yrs so will be solid on ST coverage.

Is that your updated mock in your sig?

I like Demeco Ryans. Any of the backers that have that late first round grade would be excellent choices. Sim, Greenway, Carpenter, Ryans would all be great choices.

Two weakside backers with your first two picks... im not too crazy about that. Looking at Jon Alston on paper (the times and stats) he looks great but I have never seen him play so I cant endorse him. Alston would be a very good special teams contributer but again he and Ryans are WLBs. I cant see us taking two wills in the first two rounds.

You have Dvoracek in the third, if we are trading up in the third then I can see that happening. If not Dvoracek doesnt make it that deep into the round. Currently I have Dusty as an option for our second round pick, a bit of a reach but still deserving of the pick.

Blackmon is a solid pick, decent developmental type prospect but would be brought in and drafted for special teams. Currently we are set at returners we dont need him. So you would be drafting him for corner when we could do better then him.

Hixon seems like a decent prospect with blazing speed. We dont have a 6th round pick. I like Shawn Willis. Hes that old school type blocking FB. He'll most likely go undrafted and make someones practice squad to start but should develop into a good nfl FB with some time. I would like to have him on our PS developing.

Overall I give you a B, although you could target OT a little sooner and draft a better prospect at CB in round 4.