SportsWrath

Wish list.

Sephiroth

What the fuck. It's not too early to start wishing, right? What three positions would you most like to see filled, and with what type of player (or with whom)?

Mine would go like this:

1. Middle Linebacker. I don't know why Reese seems to always try to scrape by with middle-of-the-pack LBs, but we need a guy who's heady enough to read an offense and get guys into position yet athletic enough to chase down a RB in the flat or cover a TE over the middle. If we can't get a top-flight MLB, we should look at either the weak or strong side. It's been a glaring hole for years, and sadly, it looks like I was right when I predicted that Sintim had "bust" written all over him. Nobody on our team is very good at this spot, and it doesn't look like there's much "potential" there either.

2. Mauling, ass kicking Center or Guard. Shaun O'Hara has had it. He's hit the wall... it's over for him. In the first round we could get a Pro Bowl type Center (if available) in the first, but I'd also have no problem sliding Seubert over to center and picking up a nasty, athletic Guard instead. A giant, run blocking RT might not hurt either... we're actually getting old all over the OL, and I'm afraid if the line "gets old overnight" we'll be in for one hell of a rough season next year.

3. RB... honestly, I don't care what type. I have no idea what to expect out of Ahmad Bradshaw or Brandon Jacobs next year. Both have injury issues, both run hot and cold, and both seem to fumble a lot. I'd take a clock-chewer in the Jacobs mold, but I'd also be happy with a scatback type as insurance like a Dave Meggett or a Brian Westbrook. With so many question marks out of our two main guys, however, we need to have a solid insurance policy in case of injury, ineffectiveness, or some asshole throwing his helmet into the stands.

1. SLB - For me, this is the most important position of need. We need to replace Bulluck, and Sintim seems to have not panned out. Von Miller from Texas A&M can do it all and has sideline to sideline speed. He would instantly upgrade our defense big time.

2. RB - I don't see both Bradshaw and Jacobs coming back next year. And I'm ok with whoever they choose. Jacobs salary is worth $4.9 million next season, not counting bonuses. From Rotoworld:

2/25/2009: Signed a four-year, $25 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including $7.85 million in signing and roster bonuses in the first two years, Jacobs' first-year salary, and most of his second-year salary. 2011: $4.65 million, 2012: $4.9 million, 2013: Free Agent

Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent and will command a similar contract, despite the fumbilitis. Plus there are his ankle/feet issues to consider. With both backs having had ankle or knee problems the last few years, I think the time is now to draft our next great running back, either as insurance for whoever they keep (or even if they keep both which I believe is unlikely), and/or as competition to push the incumbent next year. My pick is Mikel Leshoure from Illinois. This guy is a workhorse back who toted the rock 281 times last season, and averaged 6.0 ypc with 17 rushing TD's for the Fighting Illini. He also has some receiving skills. He is a 6'1", 230 pound factor back who is solid and has very powerful legs and has breakaway speed. Mayock has him as the 3rd best RB in this draft class. I think he's the best in the draft. Another guy I like is Daniel Thomas from K-State, another workhorse back who ran for 1585 yards last season and 19 TD's.

3. TE - Boss has taken a lot of hits and his play in some of his games has not been sharp. Who else can we go to when Boss goes down? Travis Beckum? I think Beckum does not have a future with the organization, I don't know about you guys. Luke Stocker is a big, tough TE with receiving skills from Tennessee. He is a player with big upside and can contribute right away. He's 6'6" and 253... but has a frame that looks like he can still bulk up. He's almost a clone of Kyle Randolph of Notre Dame, who is the top TE on the board and a likely late first rounder, but Stocker doesn't have the hype right now that Randolph does, meaning he could slip into the third round.

My dream draft is:

Rd 1: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Rd 2: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

Rd 3: Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee.

The only problem with this is that it is highly unlikely Miller will last until pick 19. Because of this I think he's an important enough piece for us to trade up to get him.

Linebackers. Even the most optimistic have to admit that we really only have two worthy of seeing the field, let alone any that show exceptional ability. If Boley or Goff get injured, we're fucked.

I don't know about center. On one hand, the position was filled quite capably by Seubert and Koets; on the other, both wound up with knee injuries by the end of the season. So I can see the argument for drafting someone that could play there. It really depends on whether those two come back, or if O'Hara is done as so many seem to think. Waffles, anyone? :mellow:

Finally, a running back capable of catching a pass. We don't do that much anymore, but it's hard to tell if that is a scheme issue or a reality of our current RBs. But as it stands right now, we have no receiving threat coming out of the backfield.

Barring a 1st round LB, I don't see our draft being one that sees much of the field this year--we're pretty solid in the starting rotations. So whoever we draft in the later rounds I hope have some special teams abilities, because god knows we need all the help we can get there.

there's no way we get Miller he is top five pick now. I think we get two or three LB's through free agency & the draft, I would be happy if we got Stephen Tulloch and Manny Lawson through free agency. Lawson has been decent in San Francisco, but I think he would be a better fit in a 4-3 has a SLB and a good fit in the Tampa 2, he is not pass rusher for 3-4 like San Francisco thought when drafting him, even though he can still get to the QB. Tulloch is one of the best MLB's in the NFL and a great fit for Fewell's D, he also wants out Tennessee has they are making changes to their coaching staff there. These guys were teammates at NC St. has well. A LB I think we can get in the draft is Mason Foster out of UW in the third round. I also really like LeShoure and hope he is there in round two and we take him. In the first round I personally would like Torrey Smith out of Maryland, explosive receiver and would provide value has a kick returner. Even if we resign S. Smith he might not be available until at least October and that's a big risk to throw alot of money his way. We could also take a look at O-Line and draft Tyron Smith OT out of USC, We have to get younger there and I have not been too impressed with Beatty. I like our depth inside with Boothe and Koets and Petrus, I could see us going guard with someone like John Moffitt in round 4 for even more depth. The G class is very good this year and it would be worth taking him that late if he is there, Seubert might not be ready till mid season has well and is in a contract year. I have seen mocks giving us Mike Pouncey in round one, but I think we wait.

there's no way we get Miller he is top five pick now. I think we get two or three LB's through free agency & the draft, I would be happy if we got Stephen Tulloch and Manny Lawson through free agency. Lawson has been decent in San Francisco, but I think he would be a better fit in a 4-3 has a SLB and a good fit in the Tampa 2, he is not pass rusher for 3-4 like San Francisco thought when drafting him, even though he can still get to the QB. Tulloch is one of the best MLB's in the NFL and a great fit for Fewell's D, he also wants out Tennessee has they are making changes to their coaching staff there. These guys were teammates at NC St. has well. A LB I think we can get in the draft is Mason Foster out of UW in the third round. I also really like LeShoure and hope he is there in round two and we take him. In the first round I personally would like Torrey Smith out of Maryland, explosive receiver and would provide value has a kick returner. Even if we resign S. Smith he might not be available until at least October and that's a big risk to throw alot of money his way. We could also take a look at O-Line and draft Tyron Smith OT out of USC, We have to get younger there and I have not been too impressed with Beatty. I like our depth inside with Boothe and Koets and Petrus, I could see us going guard with someone like John Moffitt in round 4 for even more depth. The G class is very good this year and it would be worth taking him that late if he is there, Seubert might not be ready till mid season has well and is in a contract year. I have seen mocks giving us Mike Pouncey in round one, but I think we wait.

I agree with you that Miller is probably out of reach without a significant trade up, which would be an atypical Reese move. We are still a ways away from the draft, it will be interesting to see what happens after the combine with these guys' draft stock. I think addressing the LBer situation via free agency is also a good idea. I have to disagree with taking a receiver in the first round, though. I think with where we are at, we could go just best player available, regardless of position. I think drafting Torrey Smith at 19 would be a big reach at this point, anyway. I'd rather see a offensive or defensive linemen at 19, or even Akeem Ayers (who I'm not a fan of) than another WR in the first. But in a weird way, I could see it happen if say, a Julio Jones falls to us (which I do not see happening).

I think they really need to settle this CBA so the Giants can make some big decisions. Do we make a run at resigning Kiwi and Bradshaw? We have to resign Smith, right? A big decision has to be made on Barry Cofield, too. And if he's not coming back, then I think our first rounder might have to be a Stephen Paea out of Oregon St. And then there's Kevin Boss.... if we don't resign him, we have to find another TE in free agency. I would geek out if we signed Marcedes Lewis, another free agent. I think that guy would be great for us.

I agree with you that Miller is probably out of reach without a significant trade up, which would be an atypical Reese move. We are still a ways away from the draft, it will be interesting to see what happens after the combine with these guys' draft stock. I think addressing the LBer situation via free agency is also a good idea. I have to disagree with taking a receiver in the first round, though. I think with where we are at, we could go just best player available, regardless of position. I think drafting Torrey Smith at 19 would be a big reach at this point, anyway. I'd rather see a offensive or defensive linemen at 19, or even Akeem Ayers (who I'm not a fan of) than another WR in the first. But in a weird way, I could see it happen if say, a Julio Jones falls to us (which I do not see happening).

I think they really need to settle this CBA so the Giants can make some big decisions. Do we make a run at resigning Kiwi and Bradshaw? We have to resign Smith, right? A big decision has to be made on Barry Cofield, too. And if he's not coming back, then I think our first rounder might have to be a Stephen Paea out of Oregon St. And then there's Kevin Boss.... if we don't resign him, we have to find another TE in free agency. I would geek out if we signed Marcedes Lewis, another free agent. I think that guy would be great for us.

I dislike Ayers has well after seeing more video, in fact this is Ayers against Stanford and the guy I said Mason Foster against Stanford. Foster looks far and away like the better LB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q14Px6MLRfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJ69c8Wcj4

What the fuck. It's not too early to start wishing, right? What three positions would you most like to see filled, and with what type of player (or with whom)?

Mine would go like this:

1. Middle Linebacker. I don't know why Reese seems to always try to scrape by with middle-of-the-pack LBs, but we need a guy who's heady enough to read an offense and get guys into position yet athletic enough to chase down a RB in the flat or cover a TE over the middle. If we can't get a top-flight MLB, we should look at either the weak or strong side. It's been a glaring hole for years, and sadly, it looks like I was right when I predicted that Sintim had "bust" written all over him. Nobody on our team is very good at this spot, and it doesn't look like there's much "potential" there either.

2. Mauling, ass kicking Center or Guard. Shaun O'Hara has had it. He's hit the wall... it's over for him. In the first round we could get a Pro Bowl type Center (if available) in the first, but I'd also have no problem sliding Seubert over to center and picking up a nasty, athletic Guard instead. A giant, run blocking RT might not hurt either... we're actually getting old all over the OL, and I'm afraid if the line "gets old overnight" we'll be in for one hell of a rough season next year.

3. RB... honestly, I don't care what type. I have no idea what to expect out of Ahmad Bradshaw or Brandon Jacobs next year. Both have injury issues, both run hot and cold, and both seem to fumble a lot. I'd take a clock-chewer in the Jacobs mold, but I'd also be happy with a scatback type as insurance like a Dave Meggett or a Brian Westbrook. With so many question marks out of our two main guys, however, we need to have a solid insurance policy in case of injury, ineffectiveness, or some asshole throwing his helmet into the stands.

I agree with this.

I'm good with an MLB or an OLB, but we desperately need more talent and depth at linebacker. Goff may improve, and he showed some flash this season, but really, not enough to overlook this position. Too bad Sintim hasn't panned out yet....would have been nice, since we burned a #2 rounder on him. But this team hasn't had a truly feared linebacker since Jessie Armstead, and that's a fucking disgrace given this franchise's history. Bulluck is either not over his knee, or over the hill.....even if he comes back strong next season, he's too old to be considered more than a stopgap. Boley is okay, but if he's the best we've got, it says something is wrong.

Not sure if O'Hara can come back 100%, but I have some serious doubts, and regardless, it's always a good idea to have depth on the line.

Running back.....wait until round #3, and take the highest ranked SEC running back available. Problem solved.

1. SLB - For me, this is the most important position of need. We need to replace Bulluck, and Sintim seems to have not panned out. Von Miller from Texas A&M can do it all and has sideline to sideline speed. He would instantly upgrade our defense big time.

2. RB - I don't see both Bradshaw and Jacobs coming back next year. And I'm ok with whoever they choose. Jacobs salary is worth $4.9 million next season, not counting bonuses. From Rotoworld:

2/25/2009: Signed a four-year, $25 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including $7.85 million in signing and roster bonuses in the first two years, Jacobs' first-year salary, and most of his second-year salary. 2011: $4.65 million, 2012: $4.9 million, 2013: Free Agent

Ahmad Bradshaw is a free agent and will command a similar contract, despite the fumbilitis. Plus there are his ankle/feet issues to consider. With both backs having had ankle or knee problems the last few years, I think the time is now to draft our next great running back, either as insurance for whoever they keep (or even if they keep both which I believe is unlikely), and/or as competition to push the incumbent next year. My pick is Mikel Leshoure from Illinois. This guy is a workhorse back who toted the rock 281 times last season, and averaged 6.0 ypc with 17 rushing TD's for the Fighting Illini. He also has some receiving skills. He is a 6'1", 230 pound factor back who is solid and has very powerful legs and has breakaway speed. Mayock has him as the 3rd best RB in this draft class. I think he's the best in the draft. Another guy I like is Daniel Thomas from K-State, another workhorse back who ran for 1585 yards last season and 19 TD's.

3. TE - Boss has taken a lot of hits and his play in some of his games has not been sharp. Who else can we go to when Boss goes down? Travis Beckum? I think Beckum does not have a future with the organization, I don't know about you guys. Luke Stocker is a big, tough TE with receiving skills from Tennessee. He is a player with big upside and can contribute right away. He's 6'6" and 253... but has a frame that looks like he can still bulk up. He's almost a clone of Kyle Randolph of Notre Dame, who is the top TE on the board and a likely late first rounder, but Stocker doesn't have the hype right now that Randolph does, meaning he could slip into the third round.

My dream draft is:

Rd 1: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Rd 2: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

Rd 3: Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee.

The only problem with this is that it is highly unlikely Miller will last until pick 19. Because of this I think he's an important enough piece for us to trade up to get him.

I agree....trade up if he's still on the board.

I actually like Torrey Smith and Titus Young better then Jones. I think Jones is too inconsistent, I think Titus Young has moved ahead of Jones. I know Reese liked Bey coming out of Maryland two years ago and Smith brings that speed element to the table which is what I think we need. Bey has busted so far but, I still think he needs to time develop. Both Bey and Smith come from fat ass Freidgens high school I Formation offense and not really their fault they haven't been taught to run routes properly, I think Smith has a ridiculous ceiling though and wouldn't be much of a reach at 19

But this team hasn't had a truly feared linebacker since Jessie Armstead, and that's a fucking disgrace given this franchise's history.

Weird, right? This is the francise of Taylor and Banks, Huff and Carson... yet, we pass on LBs all the time to draft our 6th rotational DE. :huh:

I actually like Torrey Smith and Titus Young better then Jones. I think Jones is too inconsistent, I think Titus Young has moved ahead of Jones. I know Reese liked Bey coming out of Maryland two years ago and Smith brings that speed element to the table which is what I think we need. Bey has busted so far but, I still think he needs to time develop. Both Bey and Smith come from fat ass Freidgens high school I Formation offense and not really their fault they haven't been taught to run routes properly, I think Smith has a ridiculous ceiling though and wouldn't be much of a reach at 19

Just b/c I like to debate with you Bigblue ( :P )... I don't really understand why you think Titus Young is ahead of Jones. I would be shocked if Jones isn't the second receiver taken off the board. Torrey Smith has been even more inconsistent than Jones, and Young is just a 5'11", 170 pound receiver who put up his numbers against the likes of Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State and Wyoming. That is a far cry from the what Jones did playing in the SEC, put up huge numbers against the top competition... 10 for 199 and a TD against the national champs, big games against LSU and Tennessee on the road. Plus watch his video... he has the ability to catch the ball at its highest point in traffic. He is also a physical receiver who doesn't go down very easily.

I think where you stand is you want a guy who is explosive that can return kicks. I think we need a big guy who can help us in the redzone that is NFL ready and will go up and get it. That is Julio Jones. I think we already have a guy like Torrey Smith in Manningham. I do like Torrey Smith, I think he will be a pretty good receiver at the next level. I just don't think he's a first round talent, and I think Julio Jones is going to be a star in the NFL. I'd like to see the Giants address the return game as well, perhaps with a RB or a CB taken in the middle rounds. Plus they could always resign Hixon. But I think Eli needs a big target that can go up and get some of those passes that sometimes sail high on him. The only guy we have like that is Barden, and I'm not a believer anymore that Ramses is going to pan out.

As for Titus Young... I don't even think he could be good enough to be our 4th receiver... maybe.

Just b/c I like to debate with you Bigblue ( :P )... I don't really understand why you think Titus Young is ahead of Jones. I would be shocked if Jones isn't the second receiver taken off the board. Torrey Smith has been even more inconsistent than Jones, and Young is just a 5'11", 170 pound receiver who put up his numbers against the likes of Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State and Wyoming. That is a far cry from the what Jones did playing in the SEC, put up huge numbers against the top competition... 10 for 199 and a TD against the national champs, big games against LSU and Tennessee on the road. Plus watch his video... he has the ability to catch the ball at its highest point in traffic. He is also a physical receiver who doesn't go down very easily.

I think where you stand is you want a guy who is explosive that can return kicks. I think we need a big guy who can help us in the redzone that is NFL ready and will go up and get it. That is Julio Jones. I think we already have a guy like Torrey Smith in Manningham. I do like Torrey Smith, I think he will be a pretty good receiver at the next level. I just don't think he's a first round talent, and I think Julio Jones is going to be a star in the NFL. I'd like to see the Giants address the return game as well, perhaps with a RB or a CB taken in the middle rounds. Plus they could always resign Hixon. But I think Eli needs a big target that can go up and get some of those passes that sometimes sail high on him. The only guy we have like that is Barden, and I'm not a believer anymore that Ramses is going to pan out.

As for Titus Young... I don't even think he could be good enough to be our 4th receiver... maybe.

I do like Julio Jones,and he definitely could, be a steal if he goes mid to late first round. He did play top competition and looked great. He does have drops now and then and gets a little lazy at times. I think by time the draft rolls around and they go through the combine Titus Young will the the #2 receiver, I see him possible running a sub 4.0 forty. He tore up the senior bowl week and was being compared to DeSean Jackson, that's the type of receiver I think NFL teams are looking for a guy no corner can stay with. It will interesting to see theres all the sudden alot talent at the wideout position even with guys like Floyd and Broyles staying in school.Watch this Titus Young video this is ridiculous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPM5ttLp_Qg

If by "trade value," you mean, "maybe get a sixth or seventh rounder for him.

He's done nothing.

Sad but true....I was really expecting something there.

I don't know if it's too early to call him a bust or not, but you'd hope to get some better production out of a 2nd round draft pick.

I do like Julio Jones,and he definitely could, be a steal if he goes mid to late first round. He did play top competition and looked great. He does have drops now and then and gets a little lazy at times. I think by time the draft rolls around and they go through the combine Titus Young will the the #2 receiver, I see him possible running a sub 4.0 forty. He tore up the senior bowl week and was being compared to DeSean Jackson, that's the type of receiver I think NFL teams are looking for a guy no corner can stay with. It will interesting to see theres all the sudden alot talent at the wideout position even with guys like Floyd and Broyles staying in school.Watch this Titus Young video this is ridiculous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPM5ttLp_Qg

Hmm.... is he 6'0" 190 as the video says or 5'11" 170 as he is listed on ESPN.com. He's fast... come on though, sub 4.0 forty? Olympic sprinters can run a 4.1 - 4.2 40 yd dash. Sub 4.0 forty stretches the limits of human possibility.

I think there's nothing wrong with your logic or mine, just we have a different philosophy about how the Giants can get better at the position. He's fast, and he has great lateral quickness, but I think a bigger target is more useful.

I can't wait for the combine to see how these guys do. I really enjoy the combine and the draft, looking at prospects and seeing how they perform.

Hmm.... is he 6'0" 190 as the video says or 5'11" 170 as he is listed on ESPN.com. He's fast... come on though, sub 4.0 forty? Olympic sprinters can run a 4.1 - 4.2 40 yd dash. Sub 4.0 forty stretches the limits of human possibility.

I think there's nothing wrong with your logic or mine, just we have a different philosophy about how the Giants can get better at the position. He's fast, and he has great lateral quickness, but I think a bigger target is more useful.

I can't wait for the combine to see how these guys do. I really enjoy the combine and the draft, looking at prospects and seeing how they perform.

sorry I wrote it wrong, I meant a a sub 4.40 forty.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry I wrote it wrong, I meant a a sub 4.40 forty.

Well, I guess he was a bit of a disappointment with the 4.5 forty. How about my boy Julio Jones, Bigblue! Ran a 4.39 forty! At his 6'3", 220, incredible. Plus, I believe he was tops out of all WRs in the broad jump. All this and he did it on a fractured foot! Seriously Bigblue, you have to bow down to THAT! He's an athletic monster! :WS:

I will say this, Russ Lande from the Sporting News recognized Titus Young as a combine "winner":

The Sporting News

5. Titus Young, WR, Boise State. Despite sustaining a leg cramp and not finishing all the drills, Young still helped his draft stock. He was fast and displayed excellent hands, consistently extending to catch passes away from his body. He could sink his hips, cut and explode downfield in the "gauntlet" drill. He now is a second-round lock.

I do however, have to question the merit of an article that doesn't mention Jones as a combine winner, when he blew everyone away. He also didn't mention Marcell Dareus who was simply ridiculous, and may have moved past Nick Fairley... and if I were to do a mock draft today, I'd have Dareus going to the Carolina Panthers number one right now.

BTW, a guy nobody has mentioned who opened up a lot of eyes at the combine was Dontay Moch, DE out of Nevada. Guy ran a 4.44 forty for a guy who's 6'2", 248 lbs. That is an athletic FREAK. Here's what Frank Tadych of NFL.com had to say about him:

NFL.com

INDIANAPOLIS — Everyone knows Nevada DE Dontay Moch can run. It’s just a matter of how fast.

Moch wears a “DL” on the front of his green NFL Scouting Combine jersey, but his speed is rare and impressive at any position. Moch registered an unofficial time of 4.45 seconds on his first run (and a 10-yard split of 1.62) to set a combine record for defensive linemen since 2000.

If Moch’s time stands, he’ll have bested the previous mark of 4.47, set by UAB’s Bryan Thomas in 2002.

Moch, who was the 2009 WAC Defensive Player of the Year and a member of the 2010 All-WAC First Team, weighed in at 6-foot-1 3/8 and 248 pounds at the combine.

NFL Network’s Charles Davis projects Moch as an outside linebacker on the next level, and NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks sees him as a situational edge rusher.

“He has a chance to be a special rusher in the right system,” Brooks said.

Gawd if the Giants were to draft him and put him at the strongside, can you imagine? A guy who could run like that, rush the passer, and stay with ANY Tight End, no problem. Someone to watch for sure.

Mine would go like this:

This is my wish list........ :punk:

Trade Thomas, a 2nd and next years 2nd for Patrck Peterson

It would take a first, a second this year and a first round pick next year to even trade into the top 10 let alone the top 5.

Besides, he already has more hype around him the Tim "Love me some Jesus" Tebow and Mark Sanchez combines so in all likelihood he will be a flop.