SportsWrath

Should the Giants Franchise Blackburn?

JMFP

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should Blackburn get the franchise tag?

• Yes
    • No

Hope they franchise Steve Smith

The Giants don't believe in franchising and considering they didn't extend his contract it's highly unlikely. It'd be nice but it's not going to happen. I get the feeling Smith will be on another team whenever the NFL starts up again. When the Giants barely make an effort to re-sign a probowl WR it's not a good sign.

On topic Blackburn will be signed again.

Seriously though....Steve Smith is about as close to irreplaceable as it gets. Lost track of how many 3rd and 8 receptions this guy has. Fucking wheels fell off the passing game when he went down.

I kind of agree here with Joe.... but check this out:

Assume the Giants could successfully take three options with the WR position.

Option 1 - Resign or franchise tag Steve Smith. You go into 2011 season with WR rotation of Nicks, Smith, Manningham, Barden, Cruz (?)

Option 2 - Let Steve Smith go and draft a 1st round stud... it's a great class for receivers, a big target like Jonathan Baldwin will probably be there at 19, and Julio Jones could fall to us. You could go into 2011 with WRs Nicks, Manningham, and say, Jonathan Baldwin

Option 3 - Let Steve Smith go and resign Plaxico, and go into next year with Nicks, Plaxico, and Manningham.

I think it's arguable options 2 and 3 could make our offense more dangerous... but nobody on the team has shown the hands and been the chain mover that Smith has been in recent years.

Option 1 - Resign or franchise tag Steve Smith. You go into 2011 season with WR rotation of Nicks, Smith, Manningham, Barden, Cruz (?)

Option 2 - Let Steve Smith go and draft a 1st round stud... it's a great class for receivers, a big target like Jonathan Baldwin will probably be there at 19, and Julio Jones could fall to us. You could go into 2011 with WRs Nicks, Manningham, and say, Jonathan Baldwin

Option 3 - Let Steve Smith go and resign Plaxico, and go into next year with Nicks, Plaxico, and Manningham.

I think it's arguable options 2 and 3 could make our offense more dangerous... but nobody on the team has shown the hands and been the chain mover that Smith has been in recent years.

I'l re-assert without Steve Smith Eli seemed totally lost

As for Blackburn on special teams hes been better in other years.........the guy we miss on specials is David Tyree........letting Tyree go was criminal

and one of the things that got me going on firing Coughlin

Also arguable that options 2 and 3 are as bad as franchising Chase Blackburn. Plax isn't coming back and pulling down critical 3 downs and TDs. He'll be rusty and when the rust comes off he'll be ready to retire. IF we can draft one of those receivers, he'd still be a rookie and most rookie WR's just don't put up the numbers Steve Smith has every season so far.

Also arguable that options 2 and 3 are as bad as franchising Chase Blackburn. Plax isn't coming back and pulling down critical 3 downs and TDs. He'll be rusty and when the rust comes off he'll be ready to retire. IF we can draft one of those receivers, he'd still be a rookie and most rookie WR's just don't put up the numbers Steve Smith has every season so far.

That is a huge exaggeration, Tempest. Where to start. First, Plax would come back and pull down TD's right away because he's a physical freak and is not easily defended. The system hasn't changed much if at all since he left so he would come back and re-acclimate very quickly, probably only needing training camp and preseason ball to get the system back and be in football shape. He'll be 34 by the time next year starts. He's not a long term solution but if he came at a very reasonable price on a short term deal there's no down side other than the risk of him having a mental lapse again. But from a football standpoint, even a guy like me who is the farthest thing from a Plaxico apologist still respects that the guy is a dangerous receiver who would be a tough matchup week 1.

Secondly, you said MOST rookie WR's don't put up the numbers Steve Smith has every season so far. Steve Smith has had exactly ONE big season.

Steve Smith Career Stats

Now, I do think Steve would've had a nice season for us this past year if he had stayed healthy, but even in his career year, he's wasn't the redzone threat this team really needs on the outside. I'm a huge Steve Smith fan, I really am. I think Steve would be a phenomenal slot receiver in our offense. But the likelihood is that he is going to command a much larger salary than what is justifiable for a slot receiver, so we have to consider his football worth comparative to what he is likely to cost financially. Believe me, I think Steve has the best hands the team has had in a long time. I love Steve.

To your other point about rookie receivers... I mostly agree. But every year, there are several receivers in each rookie class that make huge contributions right away. I would not advocate this strategy unless I thought that the receiver that could be available would be one of those receivers. I think Julio Jones is going to be a superstar, and he's going to get there quickly. I believe he would be a big matchup problem and a redzone threat right away. I also think Jonathan Baldwin has a chance to be that kind of player also.

Here are some players that made big impacts the rookie seasons out of the past few years:

Mike Williams TB

Dez Bryant

Austin Collie

Percy Harvin

Jeremy Maclin

Hakeem Nicks

Eddie Royal

DeSean Jackson

Dwayne Bowe

Calvin Johnson

I think Blackburn has a bigger impact than Steve Smith. Special teams would be lost without him.

A big "What if"...but what if Blackburn was the driver of the lead German tank during the battle of Stalingard.....when would Stalingard have fallen?

a. Day 5

b. The day before the attack based strictly on the rumor that Blackburn would be in the lead tank.

c. Five months later...hey..he's Blackburn...not God. Close...but not divine.

Answer

We'll never know..but the those commie fucks are sooooo lucky he wasn't there cause he would have got his "beat on".

C. Wagon.

A big "What if"...but what if Blackburn was the driver of the lead German tank during the battle of Stalingard.....when would Stalingard have fallen?

a. Day 5

b. The day before the attack based strictly on the rumor that Blackburn would be in the lead tank.

c. Five months later...hey..he's Blackburn...not God. Close...but not divine.

Answer

We'll never know..but the those commie fucks are sooooo lucky he wasn't there cause he would have got his "beat on".

C. Wagon.

I think Blackburn would have realized that if he invaded in March...and not OCTOBER....he'd have won.