SportsWrath

Broncos hire John Fox

Bigblue25

John Fox hired to coach Broncos

Associated Press

Broncos Hire John Fox

The NFL Live crew discusses the Bronocos hiring of John FoxTags: NFL, Denver Broncos, John Fox, Mark Schlereth, Herm Edwards, NFL LiveBroncos Hire John Fox ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- John Fox turned around a bumbling team before. The Denver Broncos are counting on him to do it again.

Fox was picked over four other candidates to replace Josh McDaniels, who was fired Dec. 6 amid the Broncos' worst slide in four decades and the embarrassing Spygate II videotaping scandal.

John Elway's first drive as the Denver Broncos' football leader has ended in the end zone with the hire of John Fox, writes Bill Williamson. Blog

The lost season led to a restructuring of the front office and the return of Hall of Famer John Elway as chief football executive. On Thursday, Elway hired Fox, the 55-year-old former Carolina Panthers coach.

"For what this building needed, John Fox was the perfect fit for us," Elway said outside team headquarters before zipping off in his Bentley on Thursday evening.

"The one thing I saw in John he had great football wisdom," Elway said. "And I think that comes with the experience that he has. But not only does he have it on the defensive side, but overall his football wisdom is what won us over."

Elway broke the news of Fox's hiring on Twitter in keeping with the organization's new emphasis on transparency as it tries to reconnect with a disenchanted fan base.

"I am very thankful to Pat Bowlen and John Elway for giving me the opportunity to coach a football team with such a proud tradition," Fox said in a statement. "The Broncos have a culture of winning, and I am excited to continue that legacy. I can't wait to get to work."

And his task seems as high and steep as the biggest peaks in the Rocky Mountains.

The Broncos are coming off a franchise-worst 4-12 season, own the second overall pick in the draft and are in need of a major overhaul -- much like the Panthers were when Fox arrived in 2002 following a 1-15 season.

He led them to a 7-9 mark in his first year before guiding them to the Super Bowl in his second season.

"I think the rebuild probably is going to require a little bit more on defense than offense but you know, I think I have a blueprint that we executed in Carolina and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here in Denver," Fox said before his interview with the Broncos on Wednesday.

Fox went 78-74 including playoffs in nine seasons with the Panthers, who didn't renew his contract following an NFL-worst 2-14 season in 2010. Fox led the Panthers to the 2004 Super Bowl.

Fox More Than His Resume

30013.jpgJohn Fox's 2-14 record with the Panthers last season is the worst by any coach the season before switching teams since 1978.

Worst record before switching teams

Coach Team W-L New Team John Fox 2010 Panthers 2-14 Broncos Ray Rhodes 1998 Eagles 3-13 Packers Sam Wyche 1991 Bengals 3-13 Buccaneers Herm Edwards 2005 Jets 4-12 Chiefs Dan Reeves 1996 Giants 6-10 Falcons *Since 16-game schedule adopted in 1978 powered by poweredby_stats_info.png

Fox arrived in Denver on Wednesday to meet with Elway after his flight out of North Carolina was delayed three times by winter weather. He was the fifth and final candidate interviewed.

Unlike McDaniels or Mike Shanahan before him, Fox's experience is rooted in defense. He spent 13 years as a defensive assistant with the Steelers, Chargers, Raiders, Rams and Giants, including seven seasons as defensive coordinator, before taking over the Panthers, who owned the league's worst defense.

In his first season in Carolina, the Panthers rose all the way to No. 2, the biggest turnaround since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

"It's a good thing that he's a defensive-minded coach; that will really help the defense," linebacker Joe Mays told The Associated Press. "It's also good that he's a proven head coach, as well. I think it's a good hire."

"He's had success in past, so why not here?" wide receiver Eric Decker said.

Prior to his stay in Carolina, Fox spent five seasons as the New York Giants' defensive coordinator, and in 2000 they went to the Super Bowl by shutting down the high-scoring Minnesota Vikings in the NFC championship.

Although fellow coaching candidates Eric Studesville, Perry Fewell and Dirk Koetter had interim head coaching experience and Rick Dennison has been with the Broncos for 24 years as a player and an assistant, none of them had the coaching credentials that Fox does.

His Carolina teams posted three 11-win seasons, won two NFC South titles and went 5-3 in the playoffs, appearing in two conference championships and losing to New England in the '04 Super Bowl.

But they were inconsistent. Although his teams averaged nearly nine wins, they never posted consecutive winning seasons under Fox.

Still, Fox touted a top-of-the-pile resume that included a road map for leading the Broncos back to respectability after a five-year playoff drought.

"It's not my first rodeo, so to speak," Fox said. "So, I think I do have a blueprint to do it."

General manager Brian Xanders has said the team's top priority is fixing the last-place defense, which will be the focus of the draft, and Fox said he wouldn't have a problem if the Broncos want to stick with the 3-4 defensive scheme they've employed since 2009 even though he mostly used a 4-3 look in Carolina.

Elway said last week when he was hired as the team's new chief football executive that his new coach should be willing to work with rookie quarterback Tim Tebow. And Fox said he's a big believer in the former Florida star who started Denver's last three games.

"I know he'll do whatever it takes to be a great player," Fox said Wednesday. "He's got a lot of the intangibles I look for and where that goes, it's hard to predict. He's in the development stage for sure, but I think he has the makings to be as good as he wants to be."

Fox met with some members of the holdover staff on Thursday after agreeing to take over the Broncos, but no decisions were immediately made on whether any of them would stay in Denver.

Studesville went 1-3 after being promoted from running backs coach when McDaniels was fired and provided the foundering franchise with a much-needed breath of fresh air. He'd like to stay on if Fox will have him. However, he told The AP on Thursday that he didn't know what his next move was.

"But I would like to tell the organization and fans that they are first class," he said, "and I appreciated every second of it."

Good move they needed some loyal and someone that is gonna stick by Tebow, they needed a defensive guy. Expect Nick Fairley to be the 2nd pick in the draft has Fox will probably play a 4-3

tebow at best will be a flutie type. winning on sheer heroics. i don't see much talent there. i would not take that job if they told me you have to stick with tebow. (if i were fox)

I hate the Gators and hated him up until the draft process last year. I think he has skills and from what I seen at the end of the year he will be fine in the NFL. He is a fucking worker too, and loves the game for that reason I started coming around on him

I hate the Gators and hated him up until the draft process last year. I think he has skills and from what I seen at the end of the year he will be fine in the NFL. He is a fucking worker too, and loves the game for that reason I started coming around on him

see that is the problem with that job. the fan base is 100% behind tebow (who hasn't played a meaningful game). tremendous pressure on fox to keep him in the game. bad QB at high draft pick sets a franchise back 5 yrs.

see that is the problem with that job. the fan base is 100% behind tebow (who hasn't played a meaningful game). tremendous pressure on fox to keep him in the game. bad QB at high draft pick sets a franchise back 5 yrs.

I still think he has a one year audtion, if he fails they have their choice of Luck or Moore next year and possibly Barkley. John Elway would probably like to get Andrew Luck from his Alma Mater.

I still think he has a one year audtion, if he fails they have their choice of Luck or Moore next year and possibly Barkley. John Elway would probably like to get Andrew Luck from his Alma Mater.

for fox's sake, i hope it's that cut and dried. what if he goes like 7-9 and wins 3 games on heart but looks awful in the others? what if, as bill walsh famously said about steve deberg "he's just good enough to lose?"

the dog agrees to an extent, but most likely that fan base was 100% behind tebow b/c they needed to get behind something positive given the disaster that mcdaniels proved to be. quite frankly, fox has his work cut out for him repairing the defense. it is a difficult position to be in - tebow is a gamble, but he showed enough during his few games to say well maybe there is some potential there. the dog would probably look to deal him to an interested party, say a minnesota team that at least a year ago was interested in him, and maybe get some mid round picks to try and build the defense...the problem with that is the organization just lived through a period when the coach traded away the young franchise QB, so to do that again could backfire on fox, even if it is the right move. mcdaniels set that team back so far when the reality of it is, had he focused on what the issue really was (i.e., the defense), they could have made a run for the playoffs this year in a weak division, and he would still have a job...

the dog agrees to an extent, but most likely that fan base was 100% behind tebow b/c they needed to get behind something positive given the disaster that mcdaniels proved to be. quite frankly, fox has his work cut out for him repairing the defense. it is a difficult position to be in - tebow is a gamble, but he showed enough during his few games to say well maybe there is some potential there. the dog would probably look to deal him to an interested party, say a minnesota team that at least a year ago was interested in him, and maybe get some mid round picks to try and build the defense...the problem with that is the organization just lived through a period when the coach traded away the young franchise QB, so to do that again could backfire on fox, even if it is the right move. mcdaniels set that team back so far when the reality of it is, had he focused on what the issue really was (i.e., the defense), they could have made a run for the playoffs this year in a weak division, and he would still have a job...

i remember when someone here said they were a legitimate contender. anyway, it looks like if mcdaniel lands the viking OC job or elsewhere, he will make a play for tebow. considering fox said he was "in development category" and elway called him " a darn good football player" but not a good QB, I think they'll trade him for a mid rounder and be done.

i remember when someone here said they were a legitimate contender. anyway, it looks like if mcdaniel lands the viking OC job or elsewhere, he will make a play for tebow. considering fox said he was "in development category" and elway called him " a darn good football player" but not a good QB, I think they'll trade him for a mid rounder and be done.

the dog did see them as a contender, even after the cutler move...then mcdaniels went off the charts in ignorance and dismantled the organization, including alienating a defensive coordinator that actually had the defense playing adequately for the first time in however many years. really, the dog doesn't recall someone setting back a franchise quite like that...right down to admitting he was unprepared for both drafts. how does that happen in the NFL? anyway, the challenge to trading tebow is that the organization may be unwilling to part with someone selected to be the heir apparent...although the dog would have a lot of respect for Fox if they did that...

Very possible. I suppose Elway can judge a good QB.....it may be possible he sticks with Tebow, as both a business decision (popularity with the fans = tickets) and he might see alot of the same traits in Tebow that he had as a young QB.

Should be interesting.

Very possible. I suppose Elway can judge a good QB.....it may be possible he sticks with Tebow, as both a business decision (popularity with the fans = tickets) and he might see alot of the same traits in Tebow that he had as a young QB.

Should be interesting.

the only similarity he has to elway is they both put their pants on one leg at a time. that's where it ends.

now if we're talking andrew luck, that's an elway-esque player who i'm sure elway covets.

apparently Orton is the guy they want to trade for a 2nd rounder, This upcoming draft is weak at QB without Luck at least to me. I am not sure who John Fox will hire has his OC etc. John Fox said he liked Tebow during the draft process last year and the Panthers probably would of drafted him instead of Jimmy Clausen if he fell. If they trade Orton they are stuck with Tebow and Quinn has the two QB's on their roster. They would definently have to bring in another guy. Also McDaniels traded away a few draft picks in idiotic moves so they could recoup in the Orton deal if it happens

I like Tebow

didn't the scouts pick Johnny Unitas and Tom Brady in the 6th round??

shows that picking an NFL QB is extremely difficult based upon college results

I see Tebow as a sort of Fran Tarkington type guy..............Tarkington threw for 55,000 yds in 13 seasons..........not many of those yds came from long passes

I really like Fox..........once again we failed to act when we had the chance to promote John Fox to NY Giants HC..........more Sourpuss for us.

apparently Orton is the guy they want to trade for a 2nd rounder, This upcoming draft is weak at QB without Luck at least to me. I am not sure who John Fox will hire has his OC etc. John Fox said he liked Tebow during the draft process last year and the Panthers probably would of drafted him instead of Jimmy Clausen if he fell. If they trade Orton they are stuck with Tebow and Quinn has the two QB's on their roster. They would definently have to bring in another guy. Also McDaniels traded away a few draft picks in idiotic moves so they could recoup in the Orton deal if it happens

i wouldn't give a 2 for orton- no way.

what about newton? is he a legit nfl pro? i can't tell by watching college since it's basically the equivalent of single A to the football's MLB

Some scouts like him, some don't. The spread offense doesn't usually translate to the pros and some think his numbers are heightened in Auburn's system. The national championship game not his best, but to me his most impressive Oregon likes to blitz alot and Newton did a good job of finding the open gaps and made all the throws they asked him to make. I think he is a mid first rounder, maybe top ten.