SportsWrath

First Round, 19th Pick

Allstarjim

Defenses use their energy on stopping Vick. Leave the corners on an island sometimes.

Even with McNabb, he would run a play action boot and you knew they were going deep.I mean the RB would have like 10 carries the whole game and they still would fool teams with play action. Like Nas said though, the QB's numbers were always 20 for 55 and their D played well enough to keep it close and then out of nowhere they would get a 4th and 26 miracle completion and win the game

Does anyone have any legitimate concerns with Goff at MLB? He's been solid this year even when he wasn't outright great. I think he has a way to grow before he hits his ceiling.

He wasn't terrible but we need someone there who's better that's all.

Even with McNabb, he would run a play action boot and you knew they were going deep.I mean the RB would have like 10 carries the whole game and they still would fool teams with play action. Like Nas said though, the QB's numbers were always 20 for 55 and their D played well enough to keep it close and then out of nowhere they would get a 4th and 26 miracle completion and win the game

by teams you mean the giants- yea the eagles are our daddy.

Well, he's had 3 years and one full year starting so for me the audition is over. The criticism I have of Goff is that he doesn't beat his blocks very well and he's not very fast. I would think he would have more than 72 tackles this season starting 16 games and all. But it's not all the number of tackles. I just would see him get blocked out of the play a lot. On one play late in the season, I saw a blocker who was already engaged with another guy on our defense, block Goff out of the play.... he blocked Goff out of the play even though he was already blocking another guy. It was pathetic.

Well, he's had 3 years and one full year starting so for me the audition is over. The criticism I have of Goff is that he doesn't beat his blocks very well and he's not very fast. I would think he would have more than 72 tackles this season starting 16 games and all. But it's not all the number of tackles. I just would see him get blocked out of the play a lot. On one play late in the season, I saw a blocker who was already engaged with another guy on our defense, block Goff out of the play.... he blocked Goff out of the play even though he was already blocking another guy. It was pathetic.

Is Goff an NFL-caliber linebacker?.....yes.

Is Goff an impact player?.....not on a consistent basis.

I saw flashes, early in the season, but like you said, we need someone who can shed a block and make some plays behind the line of scrimmage.

Goff is not a glaring liability, but he certainly is not someone that keeps offensive coordinators up all night.

matthews is a special player too. not easy to come across someone like him.

goff was probably the most pleasant surprise on our team this year imo

Yeah, I don't agree with all the hate on the linebackers. They aren't the best crew in the league but they weren't as much of a liability as in past years. The liability was in our pass defense in the SECONDARY....like say, 80 yard touchdowns by the likes of Jordy Nelson (lol)

Add in some games where we couldn't get any pressure with the front four and were blitzing safeties all game and that just adds to the problem that side of the ball had this year.

I want a ray lewis , brian urlacher or Patrik Willis type MLB. OLB that can cover i feel like don't exist. Its just speed OLB who blitz like crazy ( Clay Mathews, Terrell Suggs, Demarcus Wear, shawn merriman

this would be my full mock so far

1.)Tyron Smith OT USC- I thought about the oline and didn't think at first it was dire need. Truth is they struggled in the last three games of the year and much of the line is on the wrong side of 30. We have good depth with Koets and Boothe and either one or both could start next year. We drafted Petrus last year and can't wait to see him on the field next year. We do need depth and youth at OT though, Beatty was not impressive last year. Tyron Smith is only 20 years old and has tons of room to develop. Right now he is one of the most athletic tackles I have ever seen

#70 Rt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HKsYCCXGk

2.)Martez Wilson ILB-ILLinois-Rangy LB that shows characteristics of Brian Urlacher. Would be perfect fit forTampa 2, he can cover and blitz. We also need to pick up a FA in a pretty good class at this positon. Stephen Tulloch from the Titans would fit perfectly. we desperately need a SAM LB, we could move Goff there and sign a good veteran in Chris Gogong

3.)Shane Vereen RB Cal-We definently should look into getting a back. Vereen could be a nice third back and eventually be a complimentary back. He has decent size and speed. Probably not a feature back but the 2012 class is loaded and if Jacobs and Bradshaw don't perform well again. We could get a good back in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNKfztfmFWE

4.)Cliff Matthews DE South Carolina - Another DE in our rotation, I am not sure if Kiwi will be back and if he is. How healthy will he be? Matthews could also stand up at SAM LB. The only red flag for Matthews is he is coming off a shoulder injury. but should be fine and ready for the combine and pre draft workouts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajnVMrltDc4

6.) Virgil Green TE Nevada -I think we resign Boss but could use a another TE, Green is pretty solid and can run the seam. Could be a good compliment to Boss

7.)Shaky Smithson-RS Utah-We need someone to contribute in the return game Smithson is one the best. He doesn't have much upside anywhere at WR but has RS he could give us better field position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5POiP8upI2w

Yeah, I don't agree with all the hate on the linebackers. They aren't the best crew in the league but they weren't as much of a liability as in past years. The liability was in our pass defense in the SECONDARY....like say, 80 yard touchdowns by the likes of Jordy Nelson (lol)

Add in some games where we couldn't get any pressure with the front four and were blitzing safeties all game and that just adds to the problem that side of the ball had this year.

We'll need to see about Phillips next season.....this year could have been similar to what happend with Osi.....down year after coming back from the knee, followed by a return to form.

Hopefully, same thing with Bulluck (but I have my doubts).

Goff was okay....he definitely was not bad....the question - has he hit his ceiling yet?

If Goff continues to improve, and if Bulluck still has some gas in the tank, we could be okay at LB.

Still, I really hope this is a big draft priority for the Giants.

• 5 years later...