SportsWrath

Okay, so now that the dust has settled....

RandolphScott

So nearly a week after we totally screwed the pooch on the 2nd seed, 5th seed and the 6th seed...we all kinda flew off the handle (not you Jack...your not even on the handle) about our beloved New York Giants. I called for Gilbride's head and some people on other sites have called for Fewell's head as well. Here is what I would do:

Re-sign Steve Smith

Re-sign Mathias Kiwanuka

Re-sign Chase Blackburn (no need to get rid of a good special teamer, especially when our STs were so bad)

Keep Kevin Gilbride has offensive coordinator (SW just did this: :atomic: ) but, I digress. I think when everyone on the offensive side of the ball is healthy this is, because it's has done it in the past...can be a LETHAL offense. Problem is...you can't count on everyone being healthy during an NFL season..that just isn't realistic. That being said...who knew our Number 1 receiver (Smith) our number 2 receiver (Nicks) our number 4 receiver (Hixon) our number 5 receiver (Barden) and our number 6 receiver (Cruz) would ALL miss substantial amount of time during the season. Seeing how complicated the offense supposedly is (I have no clue and neither do you, but it seems that way) have guys like Derek Hagan, Michael Clayton and Devin Thomas taking snaps in the most important part of the NFL season is NOT a good thing. Mensa society they are not and it sorely hurt us. Derek Hagan STARTED games for us, S-T-A-R-T-E-D games. That's how bad it got. Manning's most trusted target was Mario Manningham, who...on a good day...really isn't to be trusted all that much. Typical boom and bust player. Makes a great catch and then has a mental lapse (eg. Eagles game part deux...catches a pair of TDs and then inexplicably drops the ball while 99 percent of his body was out of bounds.) There is a reason why he's the 3rd on the wide receiver depth chart. Smith and Nicks are just smarter football players. Manningham is leaps and bounds a better athlete than Smith and is faster than Nicks.

Eli Manning. I think the fact that reporters had the audacity to actually question this guy's job status are fucking retarded. Did Eli have some very, very bad moments this year? Yes. Throwing the ball left handed into a crowd when your a right is stupid and not sliding when you have the first down is also stupid. That being said, he's a very good QB and yes, I do think he'll become great...the guy is still in his prime. The New York Times wrote and article on how 10 of his passes that should have been caught...went for interceptions. TEN...thats alot of passes that should have been caught, that weren't and they became turnovers. This guy's only crime is that he isn't Peyton. Does he make some silly decisions with the ball? Yeah, of course...every QB is guilty of that. Drew Brees threw 22 interceptions this year...but no one ever talks about it, probably because they are still too busy sucking "WHO DAT" nations schlong.

Ahmad Bradshaw. I'm actually inclined to let this guy walk in free agency. He gets nicked up a lot and he fumbles the ball way too much. In the game vs the Packers...he just DROPPED the ball as soon as he was hit...and it wasn't an earth shattering hit either. It was Tiki Barber-esque. 1,000 rushers are such a dime a dozen in the NFL and it is no longer a 1st round position unless you get someone like Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson. Good running backs can be had in the draft and even in rookie free agents. Remember, Bradshaw was a 7th round pick.

Brandon Jacobs. After he regained his starting job back, he really did look like the old Brandon Jacobs showed up. Then Shawn O'Hara came back and the whole running game went to shit for both running backs. His salary for next season is 4.6 million dollars...expensive for a guy who cannot carry the full load. I'm, not sure what they do. I believe if they keep Bradshaw, then Jacobs is a goner and vice versa. A lot of money for 2 guys who sure do get beat up alot.

Kevin Boss. Honestly...he had a really good year last year, but the injuries he suffered this year really hurt him (ironic ain't it?) catchable balls he would drop, which is very uncharacteristic of him..since he was such a sure handed receiver in 2008 and 2009. I think some teams out there believe he can be a 70 reception guy...he should take it because he'll never get those numbers in New York. I'd like to keep him...but at the same time the position can be upgraded big time.

The O-Line. Dave Diehl, Shawn Andrews, William Beatty. First off...Shawn Andrews had to receive 13 pain killing injections this year due to back pains. Dude...I think you should retire..thats ALOT of shots to receive and he only started 3 games. I would LOVE to keep him because he can play every position on the line except center...but when do you worry about life after football? I think he should retire, he seems like a really good guy and I'd hate to see him end up like Earl Campbell. I think Dave Diehl should kick inside to left guard and after 2011 when Kareem McKenzie's contract is up...kick outside to right tackle. I firmly believe Beatty can be a really good left tackle in this league...he was very good in pass protection when he got the chance to start a few games, yes run blocking wasn't that good...but that can be coached. He has the feet for it. I would not be opposed to drafted a stud left tackle in the draft either.

Guard. Chris Snee isn't going anywhere. Kevin Boothe could move on else where for more money, especially after the games he had...he was pretty good when he got the chance to start. Would be great depth. Can't say much about Mitch Petrus because he didn't play all that much...he provides depth at the guard positions.

Center. GOODBYE O'HARA. This guy is donezo. If Mike Pouncey is there at 19...he's another option that can and should be discussed by the Giants front office. Adam Koets was a very pleasant surprise when he started for O'Hara, ashame he blew out his knee in Seattle. Provides good depth and could even be a good starter if the Giants chose to go down that route.

Rich Seubert. What a guy, after a very down year in 2009..this guy was right up there with Snee as the Giants best offensive lineman. Does everything you ask of him to do and just produces. He says he won't go out on the field with an injury...and I am not doubting him at all. Love the Seubert.

Defense:

Defensive line: Nothing needs to be said about Tuck, Osi or JPP. Osi really had a bounce back year and set an NFL record for forced fumbles in a season. Tuck was Tuck, the Giants best defensive player. Plays the run as equal as the pass. As my 10 year old brother says "DON'T FUCK WITH TUCK." JPP "YEAH YOU KNOW ME" played alot more after Kiwi's injury and played very well...he showed some really good pressure and could have had alot more sacks, this guy is a keeper. Can the Giants keep Dave Tollefson? He is being payed alot to be the 5th defensive end. I think he walks for greener pastures...he's a luxury for the Giants.

Defensive tackles. I think one of the reasons why Tuck and Osi got so much pressure was because of the healthy defensive tackles! Canty and Cofield were awesome this year. Cofield is also a free agent and I think he walks for the money. He's got his ring...now he wants the money. He was almost traded last year to the Saints for a 2nd round pick..but he and the Saints couldn't agree to a contract extension. Canty was really good this year..taking up 2 blockers and freeing up stuff for Osi. He was also a reason the Giants run defense was such a good unit this year. Please Jerry Reese GET RID OF Rocky Bernard. What an awful signing. Linvall Joseph was drafted in his place and he's gonna have to step up because he's probably gonna be the starter next year while we all have to love thru another shitty year from Bernard.

Linebackers. We need new ones. There's not much I can say besides Goff played well...but I think is most suited for a 3-4 or back up in a 4-3. Boley has been a disappointment. Bullock went out back with Old Yeller. Sintim is a 3-4 linebacker...no idea what we can see from Dillard and Wilkinson is about as durable as glass. This unit sucks. Don't know what to expect from Adrian Tracy (our 6th round pick) because he was on IR this season. DeOssie is a long snapper.

Defensive backs. Webster and Thomas are entrenched as the starters, yes they had 2 really bad games in Indy and at GB...but these guys are good. Only thing you can say is that they don't have catch up speed. Sometimes I forget Webster is even playing because you rarely ever see the QB throw to his side. Ross provides good depth and he is still on his rookie contract so there is no sense to get ride of him. We really need a dime corner because I think Bruce Johnson is an awful player and I don't trust Michal Coe to cover anyone.

I felt that Antrel Rolle didn't play as well as he could, but goddamn was it really good to see safeties that can actually play the game of football for a change. I think Phillips will be even better next year, 2 years removed from his knee injury and I think Rolle will be more of a game changer...I never knew he could play the run so well. Deon Grant was probably the Giants best pick up this free agent season. Did everything the Giants asked of him and did it all very well. Played great in the role of a hybrid LB/S in the 3 safety alignment and I hope he stays...but I believe a team will sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. He still has it, but I'd love to keep the guy.

Special teams. Lawrence Tynes missed 4 field goals this year and two of em were because Matt Dodge couldn't hold the goddamn snap. I suppose you could do better than Tynes and ALOT worse than him. Just look at the Jets kicker...that dude sucks.

Matt Dodge. Some people think he can be a good player. I agree. Just not here.

I think the Giants should target OL/LB in first few rounds of the draft and then draft for depth. We all know they go BPA...but I hope we land linebacker in round 1. We sorely need a play maker in that position...we haven't had one since Armstead and that was 10 years ago.

Believe it or not, I'm on the fence regarding Gilbride.....there were times this season when the offense just rolled, but then times when they were stuck in the mud. Losing 99% of our receivers and half our offensive line did not help.

And I think turnovers are the fault of the players, not the coaches.

Tiki had a fumbling problem, and he and Coughlin worked on it.....but I credit Tiki for being a smart, coachable player, who was able to fix his issues.

And, fact is, the Giants offense put up 31 points on the Eagles....that game should have been over, but the D/ST fucked us.

Follow that up with a 45 point rout against the Packers......and it's Fewell who is the hot coaching candidate?

But if you look at recent seasons, it seems Gilbride's offense bogs down late in the year....again, not sure how much this has to do with Eli, injuries, etc., and how much is due to a lack of innovation.

The defense is on the field too long due to the quick strike big play offense man.....

confused.gif how does that effect them not getting off the field on 3rd down?

i think it's the fact we also have a big play defense man!

We have great DL, excellent safeties and adequate corners. The LB's are non existent

What teams were doing were going mass protect, neutralizing the pass rush and letting

their 3 receivers bust the zone with long developing routes. If that didn't work, they'd throw to

a safety valve who would get the 1st against non existent LB talent. How often did we get a sack on 1st down,

2nd and 20 and they get a first? that's what wears a D down.

confused.gif how does that effect them not getting off the field on 3rd down?

i think it's the fact we also have a big play defense man!

We have great DL, excellent safeties and adequate corners. The LB's are non existent

What teams were doing were going mass protect, neutralizing the pass rush and letting

their 3 receivers bust the zone with long developing routes. If that didn't work, they'd throw to

a safety valve who would get the 1st against non existent LB talent. How often did we get a sack on 1st down,

2nd and 20 and they get a first? that's what wears a D down.

It's so clear that our LBs are the weak link. Imagine if we had a linebacker that could rush the passer, and cover a TE? It would have probably made the difference in that Philly meltdown.

Boley is okay...Bulluck is either not 100% back from the knee, or simply over the hill. Goff is okay...better than I hoped. He is steady, but not disruptive.

The offensive injuries excuse is so bogus.

Every team suffers injuries to star offensive players, every year. What separates good teams (and coaches) from average teams (and average coaches) is their ability to adjust to whatever situations they find themselves in throughout the season. Look at Peyton and Aaron Rodgers. Peyton played with his backup tight ends and wide receivers nearly all season and hardly any running game. Rodgers played with injured offensive linemen and a without a starter at running back all season. He himself didn't play in a few games. Those teams offenses adjusted and still made plays.

Hence the need for a non-rigid I am not the smartest man on Earth ability to adjust offensive coordinator. But there's nothing wrong with GIlbride's schemes nothing at all.

And this is where Coughlin needs to step in.....Coughlin should be making the call to go no huddle every now and then.

Another thing that REALLY pisses me off: punting inside the opponent's 40. Fuck that, just fuck it....go for the 1st down, or a field go. But for fuck's suck, don't pussy out and punt it.

How many times did we punt on 4th and 2, only to watch the world's dumbest punter drive the ball for a touchback? :ranting2:

Offensive injuries so bogus.

LMFAO.

Whatever.

Again, look at current (up until tonight) playoff teams. Those teams had worse injuries than ours. We had our starting QB all season (unlike say, the Eagles and Steelers), we had 2 starting caliber running backs all season, we had at least one starting caliber receiver healthy all season. Add in an offensive line that surprisingly got better when a couple players went down and I'm not sure what you are upset about. The Giants, under Coughlin, have never been able to play through injuries, not that the injuries we had this year were that debilitating. And if you're expecting an injury free season, you're retarded.

The worst was Steve Smith but even still, Nicks and Manningham were healthy for most of the season.

It could have been way worse....like losing your starting running back, your starting tight end, and about all but 1 of your starters on the defensive line plus a few linebackers for good measure? The Packers found a way to crush us, even with Nicks in there.

How about losing two teams worth of players in the defensive backfield, 2 solid #3 wide receivers, and your starting tight end? Colts found ways to win.

The players here were lost FOR THE SEASON, too. Not for 2 or 3 games.

Again, look at current (up until tonight) playoff teams. Those teams had worse injuries than ours. We had our starting QB all season (unlike say, the Eagles and Steelers), we had 2 starting caliber running backs all season, we had at least one starting caliber receiver healthy all season. Add in an offensive line that surprisingly got better when a couple players went down and I'm not sure what you are upset about. The Giants, under Coughlin, have never been able to play through injuries, not that the injuries we had this year were that debilitating. And if you're expecting an injury free season, you're retarded.

The worst was Steve Smith but even still, Nicks and Manningham were healthy for most of the season.

It could have been way worse....like losing your starting running back, your starting tight end, and about all but 1 of your starters on the defensive line plus a few linebackers for good measure? The Packers found a way to crush us, even with Nicks in there.

How about losing two teams worth of players in the defensive backfield, 2 solid #3 wide receivers, and your starting tight end? Colts found ways to win.

Stop trying to act like other teams play through injuries. The Giants are the only team that get bad injuries; we're jinxed. :smartass:

I have to agree about Bradshaw, he can be replaced in the offseason. Not because of the fumbles and injuries but because we could get an even better RB in the draft. Have to wonder what happens with Sorgi and Rosenfelds.

I see nobody permanently replacing Diehl at LT on the roster, need to see more of Beatty. Need more depth at offensive line and we could draft anywhere along that line and be set.

I'd prefer if we kept Cofield. He played well again this season but he will be expecting the contract in the neighborhood of what we paid Canty.

Our safeties made up for what we don't have at linebacker.

Bring in a vet to compete with Dodge and he would probably still be on the roster. Not going to draft a better one.

Stop trying to act like other teams play through injuries. The Giants are the only team that get bad injuries; we're jinxed. :smartass:

I would say injuries played a part. Giants got hit in the WR area, a place where they weren't very deep to begin with, having also lost their depth early on. .

The OL injuries didn't bother as much because there was depth. Not an excuse, they just were not prepared to lose top 2 guys down the stretch.

Timing being a factor as well. But again, scoring was not the issue down the stretch either.

I would say injuries played a part. Giants got hit in the WR area, a place where they weren't very deep to begin with, having also lost their depth early on. .

The OL injuries didn't bother as much because there was depth. Not an excuse, they just were not prepared to lose top 2 guys down the stretch.

Timing being a factor as well. But again, scoring was not the issue down the stretch either.

Hakeem Nicks was out for 3 games! 3! Jacksonville, Washington, and Washington. Guess what? We won all 3.

Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham are a better starting duo than probably 90% of the league.

Again, injuries on offense used as an excuse (like every year with the injury excuse) is just complete bullshit.

I'd argue that Kiwanuka was a bigger loss and hurt us more than losing Steve Smith, too.

The Steelers knew Rothlisberger was going to be suspended for four games before the season started. They had time to prepare, and they KNEW their starter was coming back in week 5, in full health. That is not the same as an injury.

The Eagles were actually LUCKY that Kolb was injured. You can't sit there and say with a straight face that Vick hurt that team on the field. The nearest comparison to our team that I can think of was in 2004, when Williams went on IR and we saw the glimmers of Gibril Wilson before he went on IR. But all right, Vick missed a couple, too. They overcame. Their record: 10-6.

The Packers lost Ryan Grant. You mean to imply Ryan Grant is irreplaceable? I'm watching them play RIGHT NOW, and Starks seems to be doing just fine. I'll admit they had quite a few injuries for a good stretch of the season. But they overcame. Their record: 10-6.

By the way, GB's linebackers make me sad. I wish we had players like that.

The Colts lost a lot of players. They also have one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Still, they overcame. Their record: 10-6.

My point? Every one of the teams you typically point to as paragons of playing through injury had the exact same record as we did in the regular season. The difference is what games we lost, and we fucked up the tie-breakers.

If your argument is all those injuries probably cost those teams a couple games, I agree. Just agree that our injuries probably cost us as well.

The Steelers knew Rothlisberger was going to be suspended for four games before the season started. They had time to prepare, and they KNEW their starter was coming back in week 5, in full health. That is not the same as an injury.

The Eagles were actually LUCKY that Kolb was injured. You can't sit there and say with a straight face that Vick hurt that team on the field. The nearest comparison to our team that I can think of was in 2004, when Williams went on IR and we saw the glimmers of Gibril Wilson before he went on IR. But all right, Vick missed a couple, too. They overcame. Their record: 10-6.

The Packers lost Ryan Grant. You mean to imply Ryan Grant is irreplaceable? I'm watching them play RIGHT NOW, and Starks seems to be doing just fine. I'll admit they had quite a few injuries for a good stretch of the season. But they overcame. Their record: 10-6.

By the way, GB's linebackers make me sad. I wish we had players like that.

The Colts lost a lot of players. They also have one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Still, they overcame. Their record: 10-6.

My point? Every one of the teams you typically point to as paragons of playing through injury had the exact same record as we did in the regular season. The difference is what games we lost, and we fucked up the tie-breakers.

If your argument is all those injuries probably cost those teams a couple games, I agree. Just agree that our injuries probably cost us as well.

It is definitely the exact same thing. You had all offseason to prepare for what happened during the season injury wise. They are expected. Quarterback is also a way more important position.

I was talking about Vick being injured. Not Kolb.

And also, those teams won important games in crunch time WITH injuries. We could not.

The point is that the injuries in the past few seasons for this team have been way worse than this season. Yet here come all the injury excuses again. The fact was, the team was poorly coached, played poorly in several games, and probably isn't as talented as we would have hoped they'd be with the amount of money and bigger free agents we've picked up lately. I would put injuries near the very bottom of the list as to why we fell apart during the second half of the season like Tom Coughlin's teams have done every year except 2007.

It is definitely the exact same thing. You had all offseason to prepare for what happened during the season injury wise. They are expected. Quarterback is also a way more important position.

You're going to sit there and claim that a suspended player is going to come on to the field in the same physical condition as a guy coming off of an injury? :jerkoff:

Besides that, the decision to suspend Roethlisberger occurred MONTHS before the season started. Tell me when an injury has months of time to compensate.

I was talking about Vick being injured. Not Kolb.

He was out 2-3 games. They replaced him with the guy that was supposed to start. It's not like a total scrub took over for those games.

And also, those teams won important games in crunch time WITH injuries. We could not.

Any one of the six games we lost could have got us in had the score been reversed. In hindsight, you could just as easily argue our season ended against the Titans. Also, these teams were getting players BACK towards the end of the season; we were losing ours. It's not just the injuries--it's when they happen, and where they happen.

The point is that the injuries in the past few seasons for this team have been way worse than this season. Yet here come all the injury excuses again. The fact was, the team was poorly coached, played poorly in several games, and probably isn't as talented as we would have hoped they'd be with the amount of money and bigger free agents we've picked up lately. I would put injuries near the very bottom of the list as to why we fell apart during the second half of the season like Tom Coughlin's teams have done every year except 2007.

Agreed. They weren't the primary factor--but it's silly to think they didn't play a role.

You're going to sit there and claim that a suspended player is going to come on to the field in the same physical condition as a guy coming off of an injury? :jerkoff:

Besides that, the decision to suspend Roethlisberger occurred MONTHS before the season started. Tell me when an injury has months of time to compensate.

He was out 2-3 games. They replaced him with the guy that was supposed to start. It's not like a total scrub took over for those games.

Any one of the six games we lost could have got us in had the score been reversed. In hindsight, you could just as easily argue our season ended against the Titans. Also, these teams were getting players BACK towards the end of the season; we were losing ours. It's not just the injuries--it's when they happen, and where they happen.

Agreed. They weren't the primary factor--but it's silly to think they didn't play a role.

Oh, most definitely not, we know how the Giants like to rush players back from injury with their knee or ankle hanging on by a thread still.

I was talking about games played missing players. Roethlisberger suspended for those games meant Dennis Dixon (lol @ not a total scrub) had to play and tide them over til Roethlisberger got back. I'm talking purely missed games.

Again, you prepare IN THE OFFSEASON for the possibility of injuries. That's what training camp (not to mention free agency) is for.

How do you figure teams were getting their IRed starters back at the end of the season? That doesn't even make any sense.

Oh, most definitely not, we know how the Giants like to rush players back from injury with their knee or ankle hanging on by a thread still.

I was talking about games played missing players. Roethlisberger suspended for those games meant Dennis Dixon (lol @ not a total scrub) had to play and tide them over til Roethlisberger got back. I'm talking purely missed games.

Again, you prepare IN THE OFFSEASON for the possibility of injuries. That's what training camp (not to mention free agency) is for.

How do you figure teams were getting their IRed starters back at the end of the season? That doesn't even make any sense.

I was talking about Kolb when Vick was injured. Not a total scrub. That was pretty clear on my post.

Roethlisberger being out like he was meant that their offensive coordinator could plan well in advance for the the games he wouldn't be in, with full knowledge of the extent of the absence, and the condition his QB would be in when he returned. When any of the other teams you mentioned had an injury, they had at best two weeks (if the injury happened before the bye) to work around them. 2-2 would have been acceptable. That they went 3-1 was gravy.

How you can argue that this is the same as having Smith out for a couple games, come back for one week and get injured again is beyond me.

The players that were not on injured reserve came back. Starks was one of them for Green Bay, and he certainly did a fine job today.

I was talking about Kolb when Vick was injured. Not a total scrub. That was pretty clear on my post.

Roethlisberger being out like he was meant that their offensive coordinator could plan well in advance for the the games he wouldn't be in, with full knowledge of the extent of the absence, and the condition his QB would be in when he returned. When any of the other teams you mentioned had an injury, they had at best two weeks (if the injury happened before the bye) to work around them. 2-2 would have been acceptable. That they went 3-1 was gravy.

How you can argue that this is the same as having Smith out for a couple games, come back for one week and get injured again is beyond me.

The players that were not on injured reserve came back. Starks was one of them for Green Bay, and he certainly did a fine job today.

I can argue that because having 2 other starting caliber receivers nearly the entire season should be enough to make up for losing Steve Smith. But, of course, when you don't have a coaching staff that can gameplan around injuries (because let's face it, this is the popular excuse EVERY year that the Giants collapse at the end of the season---injuries), an injury to one key offensive starter hurts you a lot more than it really should. Then you have people come and make excuses for the coaches and players who simply failed and it's because of the injuries. Again, it's a bogus excuse. Especially when you have teams that find ways to make the playoffs with something like 7 out of 12 players on IR being game 1 starters.

James Starks couldn't hold Ryan Grant's jock strap. I know. I watched him play for four years at my Alma Mater. Sure he had a solid game today, but the Packers got to the playoffs with virtually no running game all season. Which is my point about the injuries.

Hakeem Nicks was out for 3 games! 3! Jacksonville, Washington, and Washington. Guess what? We won all 3.

Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham are a better starting duo than probably 90% of the league.

Again, injuries on offense used as an excuse (like every year with the injury excuse) is just complete bullshit.

I'd argue that Kiwanuka was a bigger loss and hurt us more than losing Steve Smith, too.

not sure why you're making a big deal about injuries. it was the healthy defense that failed down the stretch. that, turnovers- by our healthy starters, and special teams.