SportsWrath

Harbaugh Going to 49ers

fringe

Report: Harbaugh agrees to coach 49ers

Five days after concluding its eighth straight non-winning season, San Francisco reportedly won a high-stakes pursuit for Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh today. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Harbaugh has agreed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Niners.

Schefter broke the news via Twitter at 12:36 p.m. today. Seven minutes later, the 49ers announced they will hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco.

In the end, the wild two-college, three-NFL-team competition for the coach’s services came down to a Bay Area battle between the Niners and Stanford. And Harbaugh chose San Francisco over the status quo.

He also chose less money to sign with the Niners, who offered about $3 million less per season than the Dolphins, who fell out of the running Thursday night.

The hiring of the offensive-minded former NFL quarterback, it is hoped, will enliven an offense which hasn’t ranked higher than 23rd in the NFL since 2004. The 49ers are expected to use an early round pick on a quarterback in the NFL draft in April and Harbaugh has a sterling record of success in developing young signal-callers.

At Stanford, Harbaugh recruited Andrew Luck, who would have been the No. 1 pick in the draft if he had not announced Thursday that he was returning to college for his junior season. At the University of San Diego, where Harbaugh was the head coach from 2004-06, he developed Josh Johnson, who left the non-scholarship, Division I-AA program and was a fifth-round pick of the Buccaneers in the 2008 draft.

Harbaugh’s jump to the NFL will rekindle his rivalry with Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, a noted adversary of Harbaugh’s when Carroll was at USC. In addition, Harbaugh will join his older brother, John, the coach of the Ravens, in the league.

The 49ers are scheduled to play at Baltimore in the 2011 season.

Of course he is... that division is wide open, they already have big time play makers on both sides of the ball. They were a favorite to win the division this year... nobody would be surprised if they took it next year, and Harbaugh comes out looking like a genius.

Of course he is... that division is wide open, they already have big time play makers on both sides of the ball. They were a favorite to win the division this year... nobody would be surprised if they took it next year, and Harbaugh comes out looking like a genius.

True, but that division looks like it's on the way. The Rams have a good thing goinbg, the Seahawks have what may be a good coach, the (ers are a QB away from being competative. The Cards and a QB away from being respectable again.

They have great OLine youth, a great RB, catching TE and LB. They should trade Veron Davis for picks, draft a QB, firm up their DLine and get some more WR talent. Then they'd be contenders.

Gore is showing signs of wear, they need a tiki type anyway- not power runner. Why trade Vernon Davis? Get an OC that knows how to use him and an established QB, maybe a resurgent McNabb with something to prove and won't mind stepping aside in a year or 2. Get back to West Coast ball. Now I'm definitely going to the Giants game here.

Report: Harbaugh agrees to coach 49ers

Five days after concluding its eighth straight non-winning season, San Francisco reportedly won a high-stakes pursuit for Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh today. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Harbaugh has agreed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Niners.

Schefter broke the news via Twitter at 12:36 p.m. today. Seven minutes later, the 49ers announced they will hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco.

In the end, the wild two-college, three-NFL-team competition for the coach's services came down to a Bay Area battle between the Niners and Stanford. And Harbaugh chose San Francisco over the status quo.

He also chose less money to sign with the Niners, who offered about $3 million less per season than the Dolphins, who fell out of the running Thursday night.

The hiring of the offensive-minded former NFL quarterback, it is hoped, will enliven an offense which hasn't ranked higher than 23rd in the NFL since 2004. The 49ers are expected to use an early round pick on a quarterback in the NFL draft in April and Harbaugh has a sterling record of success in developing young signal-callers.

At Stanford, Harbaugh recruited Andrew Luck, who would have been the No. 1 pick in the draft if he had not announced Thursday that he was returning to college for his junior season. At the University of San Diego, where Harbaugh was the head coach from 2004-06, he developed Josh Johnson, who left the non-scholarship, Division I-AA program and was a fifth-round pick of the Buccaneers in the 2008 draft.

Harbaugh's jump to the NFL will rekindle his rivalry with Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, a noted adversary of Harbaugh's when Carroll was at USC. In addition, Harbaugh will join his older brother, John, the coach of the Ravens, in the league.

The 49ers are scheduled to play at Baltimore in the 2011 season.

What's with the font, Mrs. Blu?

I could olny dream he would go to Michgan. I don't know who there gonna go with from here.

Les Miles? or Brady Hoke? They both have connections to the program and either one to me would be more viable candidates then Harbaugh.

The Dolphins just extended Sparano's contract? They basically said, if we get Harbaugh we are gonna fire you, but if not we will extend your contract. Who the fuck is running professional football teams nowadays, no wonder there's no football next year and the league is screwed.

Les Miles? or Brady Hoke? They both have connections to the program and either one to me would be more viable candidates then Harbaugh.

I never liked Les Miles. He inherited Sabans team and well has just been average since. Ron English was a guy i always liked. He was the D Coordinator for Michigan under Carr and he did a good job.

He copies and pastes the article as it is on the website. I've been trying to figure out for months how he does it. I'm pretty sure it's a Google Chrome thing.

Hey, why don't you get back to doing your job? :P

I never liked Les Miles. He inherited Sabans team and well has just been average since. Ron English was a guy i always liked. He was the D Coordinator for Michigan under Carr and he did a good job.

Yeah they should of hired him when Carr left, instead Rich Rod. It was just obvious Rodriguez was not a fit for Michigan from the beginning

Yeah they should of hired him when Carr left, instead Rich Rod. It was just obvious Rodriguez was not a fit for Michigan from the beginning

Not at all. Mallet Left and so did a some Top Recruits. I dont know why they though they could fit a spread system there.