SportsWrath

Philip Rivers....elite QB falls short again.

JMFP

Rivers once again leads his team nowhere....9-7, out of the playoffs.

Just wondering where the defenders of this elite QB are this morning.

the dog thinks that making an argument that rivers is an elite QB is as inane as arguing that eli manning is an elite QB...

pretty much our afc twin brother. top 5 in offense, top 5 in defense for most of the season but didnt make the playoffs.

norv turner is great though, he should never be fired, it's not his fault he's just the coach

Rivers once again leads his team nowhere....9-7, out of the playoffs.

Just wondering where the defenders of this elite QB are this morning.

Without River the team would be 4-12, he was the only thing keeping their team alive.

We get rid of Eli and we are probably 6-10 this season, Eli carried us a few games but he also hurt us in a few games as well.

But I like Eli he's our QB, wouldnt want anyone el......... scratch that I would take a few guys ahead of Eli.

the dog thinks that making an argument that rivers is an elite QB is as inane as arguing that eli manning is an elite QB...

So, Rivers isn't anything to talk about?.....kind of a Trent Dilfer type QB, correct?

The Joe Joe Dancer was just conducting an equipment test on his QB-o-meter, and figured I'd get my bearings from the Italians Hotdog's QB chart now that the regular season is over.

So, Rivers isn't anything to talk about?.....kind of a Trent Dilfer type QB, correct?

The Joe Joe Dancer was just conducting an equipment test on his QB-o-meter, and figured I'd get my bearings from the Italians Hotdog's QB chart now that the regular season is over.

he's certainly better than dilfer. a very good qb. not elite. but then, the dog would guess that you already have him marked down as not elite because he is not named eli. by the way, when eli gave that rousing speech at the players only meeting, breaking 7 years of silence and dropping at least momentarily the huckleberry personna, and the team promptly went out and lost 45-14 behind 4 of his interceptions, does that elevate his rankings in your mind or hurt them? because if coughlin lost the ear of the team, what does that say for the million dollar qb baby?

he's certainly better than dilfer. a very good qb. not elite. but then, the dog would guess that you already have him marked down as not elite because he is not named eli. by the way, when eli gave that rousing speech at the players only meeting, breaking 7 years of silence and dropping at least momentarily the huckleberry personna, and the team promptly went out and lost 45-14 behind 4 of his interceptions, does that elevate his rankings in your mind or hurt them? because if coughlin lost the ear of the team, what does that say for the million dollar qb baby?

I'm looking to determine the Italian Hotdog Elite QB Standard.

It's not Eli, clearly. And I've come to learn that it is not Rivers....so, that rules out stuff like Super Bowl victories, passing yards, touchdowns, and wins.

So, if it's not based on that criteria, what are the metrics?.....do I need a secret decoder ring and a black light to find out?

I'm looking to determine the Italian Hotdog Elite QB Standard.

It's not Eli, clearly. And I've come to learn that it is not Rivers....so, that rules out stuff like Super Bowl victories, passing yards, touchdowns, and wins.

So, if it's not based on that criteria, what are the metrics?.....do I need a secret decoder ring and a black light to find out?

there is no criteria because you can't put a formula on it...but if you must, the dog will continue to maintain that currently, peyton manning, drew brees and tom brady are the elite qbs in the league. yes, they all have won a super bowl which is certainly important, but not the bottom line. being an elite qb goes beyond winning a super bowl, because a number of qbs have won it that are certainly not elite (eli, hostetler, dilfer, williams...etc...all the names the dog has pointed out before), and some elite qbs have never won it (marino, fouts, etc...). it can't just be about stats, b/c stats are driven by circumstance. it has to include intelligence and leadership, things that can't be measured but that are obvious to an observer...combine all the attributes in a positive manner, and there you have it... eli doesn't, but there you go...

pretty much our afc twin brother. top 5 in offense, top 5 in defense for most of the season but didnt make the playoffs.

norv turner is great though, he should never be fired, it's not his fault he's just the coach

Ok you make a valid point.. but I can't think of anyone of the "candidates" who can be an upgrade over Coughlin. Hardly any successful coach is as successful as their prior stint.. the exception maybe Dick Vermil... I'm no expert but I see Allstarjim (correct me of I'm wrong Jim) talks negatively of Gilbride.. and I trust Jim's football judgement.

Why did our ST suck so bad this year? Same coach? Could it be the loss of Tyree and no one wants to admit it? Some say Hixon but I honestly don't remember him being great.

This argument is as dumb as whether golf is a sport.

agreed about the argument, as it is a no-brainer. the dog disagrees about the second part in that there is no argument - golf is most defintely a sport, and the dog has never golfed a day in his life...

San Diego had a horrible defense. Not Rivers fault. Also for him having shitty WRs half the season, he still managed to put up record numbers.

Had Rivers been on the Giants this season, he would've shattered records.

I'm not a fan of Rivers, I just call it like I see it.

Ok you make a valid point.. but I can't think of anyone of the "candidates" who can be an upgrade over Coughlin. Hardly any successful coach is as successful as their prior stint.. the exception maybe Dick Vermil... I'm no expert but I see Allstarjim (correct me of I'm wrong Jim) talks negatively of Gilbride.. and I trust Jim's football judgement.

Why did our ST suck so bad this year? Same coach? Could it be the loss of Tyree and no one wants to admit it? Some say Hixon but I honestly don't remember him being great.

i dont like gilbride either. like i siad yesterday i dont like mara coming out after the game and saying 'tom will be back it was never in doubt'. he wasn't good enough to get that strong of an endorsement after all the threats mara made at the end of last season

that said, there are plenty of people out there who will be a good coach, we dont have to hire a bill cowher. look at baltimore and atlanta

Guest StrahansGap

The only thing I'll say is that if Rivers was on the Giants, we'd be gearing up for Sunday's playoff game........period!

I forget which pair of commentators on WFAN said it yesterday but I believe they were point on. Both Eli and Tuck need to stop this Silent Jim and Quiet Bob routine and get into peoples faces on the sideline and the locker room. Not to show people up but to get them motivated and focused. No one is asking them to be rah rah ...but this awww shucks bullshit is old; so is the leading by example as well.

I forget which pair of commentators on WFAN said it yesterday but I believe they were point on. Both Eli and Tuck need to stop this Silent Jim and Quiet Bob routine and get into peoples faces on the sideline and the locker room. Not to show people up but to get them motivated and focused. No one is asking them to be rah rah ...but this awww shucks bullshit is old; so is the leading by example as well.

They aren't going to do it...so we all should just shut up about it.

Talk about beating a dead fucking horse.

Had Rivers been on the Giants this season, he would've shattered records.

That is impossible to determine, for all we know his very first play behind center in a game and he could have slipped, fallen and broken his neck. How many times have we seen great players go to a new team and suck ass?

i dont like gilbride either. like i siad yesterday i dont like mara coming out after the game and saying 'tom will be back it was never in doubt'. he wasn't good enough to get that strong of an endorsement after all the threats mara made at the end of last season

that said, there are plenty of people out there who will be a good coach, we dont have to hire a bill cowher. look at baltimore and atlanta

Now radio and print media are shilling for Mara by saying he did this because of a possible lockout. BULLSHIT!!! The younger Mara is more Wellington than Wellington ever was. I joked about Coughlin having carte blanche to kill half of Staten Island to be explained away because he's a good Irish Catholic boy from BC. No problem he is coming back...but this is crazy about him being the teflon coach here. It was HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE HANDS TEAM WAS OUT THERE.

As the head coach if he saw that the last two offensive series were too pass heavy and were not burning enough clock it was HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO OBJECT TO THE OFFENSIVE PACKAGES BEING SENT IN AND CONSIDERED; IT WAS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE THE PUNT TEAM ASIDE AND EXPLAIN WE ARE PLAYING FOR OT...THE BALL WILL BE KICKED OUT OF BOUNDS. IT WAS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO MOTIVATE THESE MOTHERFUCKERS AFTER THEY GAVE IT AWAY TO BE READY FOR GREEN BAY.

Yes the players have a huge responsibility as well...Ross, Boley, Rolle and one other individual had outside contain on several of Vicks runs...yet repeatedly these people were rushing and/or getting caught inside. But as

"captain" of this ship of fools its ultimately his responsibility for the collapse. Wait a week let everyone absorb the extent of the loss and how everyone is going to have to wait another year that is not guaranteed

...and they also had horrid Special Teams giving their opponents short fields, which in turn made their D look great...if you only look at yards/game.

Now radio and print media are shilling for Mara by saying he did this because of a possible lockout. BULLSHIT!!! The younger Mara is more Wellington than Wellington ever was. I joked about Coughlin having carte blanche to kill half of Staten Island to be explained away because he's a good Irish Catholic boy from BC. No problem he is coming back...but this is crazy about him being the teflon coach here. It was HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE HANDS TEAM WAS OUT THERE.

As the head coach if he saw that the last two offensive series were too pass heavy and were not burning enough clock it was HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO OBJECT TO THE OFFENSIVE PACKAGES BEING SENT IN AND CONSIDERED; IT WAS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE THE PUNT TEAM ASIDE AND EXPLAIN WE ARE PLAYING FOR OT...THE BALL WILL BE KICKED OUT OF BOUNDS. IT WAS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO MOTIVATE THESE MOTHERFUCKERS AFTER THEY GAVE IT AWAY TO BE READY FOR GREEN BAY.

Yes the players have a huge responsibility as well...Ross, Boley, Rolle and one other individual had outside contain on several of Vicks runs...yet repeatedly these people were rushing and/or getting caught inside. But as

"captain" of this ship of fools its ultimately his responsibility for the collapse. Wait a week let everyone absorb the extent of the loss and how everyone is going to have to wait another year that is not guaranteed

the dog agrees that the hands team should have been out there, that is clearly a mistake. but you know what? the players on special teams are professionals paid good money to do a job, and the number one thing they teach people in the front line on the KOR team from the time that they are in pop warner is be sure the ball is kicked away before dropping back. given the situation, they should have been at least alert to that basic concept. the dog has never agreed with not being aggressive on offense with a lead. maybe you pull it back a little, but against an explosive offensive team, you have to stay aggressive. and let's not forget that with 7 minutes left, the giants were up 31-10. the next time the offense touched the ball, it was 31-24, and run, run, pass punt is not an option. and the coaches clearly instructed the punter to kick it out of bounds. he didn't. coughlin's fault? um, no.

Those are not things you learn to do.. you either got that kindda attitude or you don't. Maybe what the FO should do is get players on the team who are like that... A Ray Lewis type of players who will do this kind of job.