SportsWrath

IF Coughlin is gone, who do you want?

Mr. P

What is the deal with Tony Dungy? Will he ever return to coaching? He's only two years removed.

Tony Dungy...........the guy Peyton Manning made look like a genius......his real legacy was Tampa where he could not win ...........Gruden takes over with the same people and wins a SB

????

Brian Cushing went 15th overall. Giants had 29th pick overall.

Clay Matthews went 26th overall.

Mario Manningham was drafted in 2008.

This was the 2009 draft.

We should have gotten david Copperfield as our GM to get us to move down from 29th to 15th.

A few weeks ago most of us here were lauding Goff and Boley's play....now we have no solid linebackers? They're solid. Could we use an upgrade? Yes, of course....we have no real game changers and playmakers at the position.

The problem the last few weeks has been in the secondary and ESPECIALLY the defensive line. And obviously I think they are very talented at both spots. However, with no pass rush and C Web and TT being told to play off Jennings and James Jones all game, Aaron Rodgers, with all day to throw, was able to meticulously tear us apart. Don't ask me where Osi has been the last few games or where the pass rush up the middle that's been a blessing all season....because I don't know.

But for me, Fewell deserves some blame for some pretty poor schemes this season....the Colts and Packers games stand out. I can't really blame him for the Eagles debacle because his scheme owned the Eagles in the first half....his players forgot how to contain and tackle in the last 8 minutes of the game....not so much his fault there.

Inexplicably blitzing your safeties all game and dropping your DEs into pass coverage does not constitute a solid gameplan. You're essentially taking two of your strengths and moving them out of their positions....makking them a weakness. Also, on top of that, you're asking C Web and TT a lot by not giving them a lot of safety help....

I said weeks ago Boley hasn't done anything worthwhile except hurt Romo. He's far from solid.

You know what.. it's Wednesday n maybe we're overreacting here. Fisher, Cowher, Gruden.. whoever aren't much of an upgrade if any over Coughlin. I think the problem is Glibride.. and the fact that we have no solid linebackers.

With those guys available, the chances of getting a quality coach is better than other years.

Boley was 27 when he signed his contract and as far as I am concerned...he's been stealing millions.

We have three years to go on his deal too, we need a MLB though no questions asked enough of ignoring this position, Boley has had flashes of what he could do. I think Boley could be fine with a little help surrounding him.

I said weeks ago Boley hasn't done anything worthwhile except hurt Romo. He's far from solid.

He's better than what we've had the passed 6 years. Again, linebackers aren't our worst problem when the team is being thrown on all game. And not to tight ends and running backs, who are covered by linebackers, but wide receivers. But since you ignored the rest of the post with this pointless statement, I would like to know what you think aside from Boley.

And teams don't run on us well. So I'm not sure what everyone feels that we're missing out on with the linebackers other than playmakers, which only a select few teams have, anyway....

He's better than what we've had the passed 6 years. Again, linebackers aren't our worst problem when the team is being thrown on all game. And not to tight ends and running backs, who are covered by linebackers, but wide receivers. But since you ignored the rest of the post with this pointless statement, I would like to know what you think aside from Boley.

And teams don't run on us well. So I'm not sure what everyone feels that we're missing out on with the linebackers other than playmakers, which only a select few teams have, anyway....

I didn't ignore the rest of your post so calm down. I don't agree with your assessment of Boley. I don't think Boley even comes close to been better than Pierce was when he was first here, and that's not saying a whole lot because the Antonio Pierce that was in DC did not show up in NY, because that Antonio Pierce was a beast. I don't think he's done anything well since he got here, and when you consider the money we're paying him, he certainly hasn't earned it. Is he fast?. Yes. But you can be road runner fast but if you can't throw off a block or read a play properly, then it's useless. The only times I see Boley being really effective is when he's blitzing up the middle.

Since you asked, I think Goff is okay, he should get better, but in no way should the Giants hang their hat on him and say we've gotten out guy for the next few years. He got everyone excited early and rightly so, he was doing some good stuff, but he's not got the job done late in the season against the better opposition. Bullock, we got what we paid for him, it wasn't much. He's been so-so. I don't expect him back. Sintim, he needs another year before we can figure him out. Gerris Wilkerson, toss that fucker. Chase is special teams only now it seems. And we know nothing about Dillard and Tracy yet obviously. So there, if we don't think that we have problems on LB, then we're not looking properly. We still need a huge upgrade at this position and even though you say we stop the run, look no further than guys like Tuck, Cofield, osi (yes!), and even canty even though that seems to be all he fucking does. Along with Rolle in support, all those guys have done well against the run this year.

Hell, who wouldn't want a guy like Matthews running down players from behind and creating turnovers, how good was that?. we don't have a linebacker who can create a turnover to save his life.

I'm going to make another pointless statement, a few years back, reese backed up the Brinks truck to bring in Canty, Bernard and Boley to beef up the d. And it's been the worst waste of money ever.

Bernard and Boley yes.

Not Canty, he's been very good this year.

Very Good Golf?

Better than last year, absolutely, but IMO he's been nothing like the guy in Dallas.

Cofield has been far more effective. Scary part is he could be the guy to leave.

Boley is the best linebacker of the bunch. Of course, in 2005, Nick Greisen was our best linebacker after Pierce went down, so everything is relative. Goff is ok, in that he's not horrible, and I don't think I've seen Bullock make a play.

The bottom line is that there's no way Grant should have on the field as much as he was this season, and we were very fortunate we got what we did from him. That we needed safeties to compensate to the degree we did to cover LB inadequacies made it possible for long ball opportunities against our backfield, especially if our line didn't put up pressure.

I didn't ignore the rest of your post so calm down. I don't agree with your assessment of Boley. I don't think Boley even comes close to been better than Pierce was when he was first here, and that's not saying a whole lot because the Antonio Pierce that was in DC did not show up in NY, because that Antonio Pierce was a beast. I don't think he's done anything well since he got here, and when you consider the money we're paying him, he certainly hasn't earned it. Is he fast?. Yes. But you can be road runner fast but if you can't throw off a block or read a play properly, then it's useless. The only times I see Boley being really effective is when he's blitzing up the middle.

Since you asked, I think Goff is okay, he should get better, but in no way should the Giants hang their hat on him and say we've gotten out guy for the next few years. He got everyone excited early and rightly so, he was doing some good stuff, but he's not got the job done late in the season against the better opposition. Bullock, we got what we paid for him, it wasn't much. He's been so-so. I don't expect him back. Sintim, he needs another year before we can figure him out. Gerris Wilkerson, toss that fucker. Chase is special teams only now it seems. And we know nothing about Dillard and Tracy yet obviously. So there, if we don't think that we have problems on LB, then we're not looking properly. We still need a huge upgrade at this position and even though you say we stop the run, look no further than guys like Tuck, Cofield, osi (yes!), and even canty even though that seems to be all he fucking does. Along with Rolle in support, all those guys have done well against the run this year.

Hell, who wouldn't want a guy like Matthews running down players from behind and creating turnovers, how good was that?. we don't have a linebacker who can create a turnover to save his life.

I'm going to make another pointless statement, a few years back, reese backed up the Brinks truck to bring in Canty, Bernard and Boley to beef up the d. And it's been the worst waste of money ever.

Why are you comparing a middle linebacker to Boley? Boley is a lot faster and a lot more athletic. Pierce was a leader, and that was about it.

Sorry if I didn't come off as "calm", but I clearly stated that "MOST" of us thought Boley and especially Goff have been fairly solid this season. Again, the problem lately has been much more with the *Gasp* defensive line! So much so that we have to constantly blitz safeties to get any pressure at all, leaving our cornerbacks to fend for themselves (and poorly at that). These were my key points.

And no doubt about the hanging the hat on Goff thing. I just said they have been solid for the most part this year and have made me forget how bad things were back in the Danny Clark days..... slightly.

Goff appears better able to play in space than any of our LB's past and present since Armistead. However unlike Jessie, not a one of our guys can play a TE/RB beyond 5 yards and INT's appear to be against their religion. And Boley is only effective blitzing up the middle...he does not know what outside contain means to save his life.

Why are you comparing a middle linebacker to Boley? Boley is a lot faster and a lot more athletic. Pierce was a leader, and that was about it.

Sorry if I didn't come off as "calm", but I clearly stated that "MOST" of us thought Boley and especially Goff have been fairly solid this season. Again, the problem lately has been much more with the *Gasp* defensive line! So much so that we have to constantly blitz safeties to get any pressure at all, leaving our cornerbacks to fend for themselves (and poorly at that). These were my key points.

And no doubt about the hanging the hat on Goff thing. I just said they have been solid for the most part this year and have made me forget how bad things were back in the Danny Clark days..... slightly.

I'm not comparing Boley to Pierce but didn't you say Boley's the best we've had in 6 years. Unless you meant in just one position at linebacker. By the way Pierce was more than a leader in his early years. He may have been a shell of himself when he retired, but he wasn't always that way.

As for the problems with the defense, all I'll say is that if people think that we have big issues than at linebacker, then I think they are missing the boat. There's no way you can look at our linebacker situation and thnk we can stick with this crew. Frankly, if Boley is the best lb we have as Fish said, then we're in big trouble.

I'm not comparing Boley to Pierce but didn't you say Boley's the best we've had in 6 years. Unless you meant in just one position at linebacker. By the way Pierce was more than a leader in his early years. He may have been a shell of himself when he retired, but he wasn't always that way.

As for the problems with the defense, all I'll say is that if people think that we have big issues than at linebacker, then I think they are missing the boat. There's no way you can look at our linebacker situation and thnk we can stick with this crew. Frankly, if Boley is the best lb we have as Fish said, then we're in big trouble.

I think we need to upgrade, that's obvious. But, essentially, I don't think it's the linebackers that have been playing the worst this season. That honor goes to the secondary, IMO....but even that is partially due to the defensive line not getting pressure anymore....making us blitz CBs and safeties to get any sort of pass rush....it's a twisted web....

the bottom line is you rarely hear any announcement of a Giants LBer doing anything during a game.........they are anonymous.....taking up space

I haven't hear Osi's name mentioned in the second half of the season, where like clockwork, he disappears. But it doesn't mean he's just taking up space. I've only heard Kenny Phillips name called when Jordy Nelson is running past him in the second half of the season, also, but I also don't think he's just taking up space.

I haven't hear Osi's name mentioned in the second half of the season, where like clockwork, he disappears. But it doesn't mean he's just taking up space. I've only heard Kenny Phillips name called when Jordy Nelson is running past him in the second half of the season, also, but I also don't think he's just taking up space.

He wiffed on that Celek TD as well, that should of been an int. He tried blowing up Celek when he did catch the ball and missed and that started Philly's momentum. Still I like Phillips and Rolle and they are still one of the best safety duo's in the NFL. He just mistimed the particular play, has did Rolle a few times against Jordy Nelson

Very Good Golf?

Better than last year, absolutely, but IMO he's been nothing like the guy in Dallas.

Cofield has been far more effective. Scary part is he could be the guy to leave.

Cofield's been far more effective because of Canty. Why do you think both of our defensive ends have double digit sack numbers? Cause of Canty. You can't just look up the stats of a defensive tackle...because they aren't going to be that good...he clogs up the middle and takes up two lineman to block him.

Cofield's been far more effective because of Canty. Why do you think both of our defensive ends have double digit sack numbers? Cause of Canty. You can't just look up the stats of a defensive tackle...because they aren't going to be that good...he clogs up the middle and takes up two lineman to block him.

I understand what defensive linemen do, I mean no-one will give as much credit to Keith Hamilton when he played, because Strahan also benefitted huge from the push up the middle hamilton gave us. But Hamilton got his fair share of sacks also. Canty and Bernard have been better than last year, but that's not a stretch and when you consider the money we gave them and Boley, the return simply hasn't come close.

I disagree on the Cofield issue also, because Cofield has been doing well for us since he got here. Cofield came out of college strictly a run stopper and now plays a very solid all around game for us. And Tuck and Osi are pretty good defensive ends overall, it's not just the DL helping them, they've got double teams and tight ends chipping at them also.