SportsWrath

IF Coughlin is gone, who do you want?

Mr. P

Hmm Coughlin fired after this season, I want a break from football after they decide when they plan on playing football again. Replacing Tom Coughlin is just a bad idea. If your memory of NY Giants Football starts with the 2004 season, then firing the head coach is a reasonable solution. If you've been watching even longer and still think its a reasonable solution, you have already forgotten the thrill of a coach coming in and installing his system (not pretty).

Quite simply, there just isn't a better candidate on the market that can win with this team.

I agree. This has been a really freaky season for turnovers. I don't think it happens next year no matter the coach. Of course if there's a lockout, I'm certain to be right.

I agree. This has been a really freaky season for turnovers. I don't think it happens next year no matter the coach. Of course if there's a lockout, I'm certain to be right.

Yea I guess grass is greener on the other side. I'm more swayed by the argument that Fewel is not as good as Spags.. and Gilbride is a roller coaster.

Perhaps there isn't a guy who can win with this team, but Tom isn't either. So what do you do?. Rebuild?. I can't see that as an option right now. The brass might want to look at a fresh face and a differenet perspective with this team before breaking them up. it's the easier option right now. Coughlin really can't argue the point right now.

Yea I guess grass is greener on the other side. I'm more swayed by the argument that Fewel is not as good as Spags.. and Gilbride is a roller coaster.

Spags had his own problems. He never did solve the 3rd and long conversion problem the defense had since the Lewis days. It's the same old problem: the linebackers. Give Fewell credit: on a whole, his 3 safety set has worked pretty well. It's no real substitute for linebackers, but it is good use of the personnel.

Spags had his own problems. He never did solve the 3rd and long conversion problem the defense had since the Lewis days. It's the same old problem: the linebackers. Give Fewell credit: on a whole, his 3 safety set has worked pretty well. It's no real substitute for linebackers, but it is good use of the personnel.

yea but the past game+ have been disastrous.

Last I checked we have still won more games than we have lost. So Tom can win with this team. All we can do is hope that we make it into the playoffs. If we don't make it, far from the worst case scenario for this team.

Don't forget that we saw a lot of miscommunication between Eli Manning and his receivers this season. Most of our offense I would describe as second season starters, first season for Bradshaw. If you're concerned about the Bradshaw fumbles and think Coughlin can't fix it, well you are wrong. He didn't come in and bring Tiki Barber down from 9 fumbles in one season to zero but he cut them in half and then in half again. This was Ahmad Bradshaw's first season as a starter, I'll go out on a limb and say he will not fumble this much next season if he can start next season. Coughlin will fix it, just don't expect overnight solutions to long term problems.

Perhaps there isn't a guy who can win with this team, but Tom isn't either. So what do you do?. Rebuild?. I can't see that as an option right now. The brass might want to look at a fresh face and a differenet perspective with this team before breaking them up. it's the easier option right now. Coughlin really can't argue the point right now.

yea but the past game+ have been disastrous.

Yep, for three straight years, the defense fell apart at the end of the season. Three different coordinators. Two seasons with good backfields, one with no backfield. The consistent problem: over-reliance on a defensive line, and inadequate LBs.

Fewell's scheme couldn't make it any more obvious.

Reese is not a stupid man, he'll notice.

Noticing and finding someone to do the job are two different things. They've tried the draft and free agency and struck out repeatedly.

Yep, for three straight years, the defense fell apart at the end of the season. Three different coordinators. Two seasons with good backfields, one with no backfield. The consistent problem: over-reliance on a defensive line, and inadequate LBs.

Fewell's scheme couldn't make it any more obvious.

Reese is not a stupid man, he'll notice.

We could move to a 3-4 if we chose.

Tuck can play DE similar to Darnell Dockett or Justin Smith.

DE - Justin Tuck, Chris Canty, Barry Cofield, Rocky Bernard

NT - Linval Joseph, ?

OLB - Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Matthias Kiwanuka, Clint Sintim

ILB - Jon Goff, Michael Boley, Chase Blackburn, Phillip Dillard, Gerris Wilkinson

Looks to me like we have a very good core of players if we want to move to a 3-4, in fact the only position we really may need to upgrade is a backup NT (although Cofield and Canty can probably do ok).

yeah im sure we COULD, i just dont think its playing to most of those players' strengths.

Noticing and finding someone to do the job are two different things. They've tried the draft and free agency and struck out repeatedly.

I think that's the one remaining place they need to upgrade. Keep Cofield, and the DTs are in good shape. DEs are solid, and the backfield is solid. They need Smith back, but they are set at WR, barring another insane injury streak next season. The Oline is surprisingly strong, with our second stringers proving themselves throughout the season (I can't believe I'm saying that about Koets at center).

It wouldn't shock me if we drafted another RB, and probably another TE. But other than that, what are we drafting--special teams? The other positions I mentioned you simply don't draft in the first round, unless you have a chance at a superstar: at worst, we're 9-7, and we're not going to be in superstar range. But you could probably get a very nice linebacker at that point in the draft.

I'm not really buying that they've tried in the draft. Sintim was the highest they went in a decade, and that was a (wasted) second round pick. The guy they picked this year was a 4th rounder. And Boley and Bullock were both on the wrong side of 30 when they signed their contracts. Sure, there's been some lip service, but the linebacker spots are held together with duct tape and twist-ties.

I think that's the one remaining place they need to upgrade. Keep Cofield, and the DTs are in good shape. DEs are solid, and the backfield is solid. They need Smith back, but they are set at WR, barring another insane injury streak next season. The Oline is surprisingly strong, with our second stringers proving themselves throughout the season (I can't believe I'm saying that about Koets at center).

It wouldn't shock me if we drafted another RB, and probably another TE. But other than that, what are we drafting--special teams? The other positions I mentioned you simply don't draft in the first round, unless you have a chance at a superstar: at worst, we're 9-7, and we're not going to be in superstar range. But you could probably get a very nice linebacker at that point in the draft.

I'm not really buying that they've tried in the draft. Sintim was the highest they went in a decade, and that was a (wasted) second round pick. The guy they picked this year was a 4th rounder. And Boley and Bullock were both on the wrong side of 30 when they signed their contracts. Sure, there's been some lip service, but the linebacker spots are held together with duct tape and twist-ties.

Agreed. This team needs an impact linebacker. They don't have anyone at the LB position that can disrupt an opponent's gameplan.

Get a great linebacker, and this defense could be sick.

Boley was 27 when he signed his contract and as far as I am concerned...he's been stealing millions.

Agreed. This team needs an impact linebacker. They don't have anyone at the LB position that can disrupt an opponent's gameplan.

Get a great linebacker, and this defense could be sick.

I begged the Giants.com site (as if the old codgers would actually look for suggestions on their own website) to move down to get Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing....we got Mario Manningham instead :jerkoff:

Boley was 27 when he signed his contract and as far as I am concerned...he's been stealing millions.

Giving away outside contain on Vick in Philadelphia when all he had to do was stay in his lane; well that put him in my permanent doghouse.

I begged the Giants.com site (as if the old codgers would actually look for suggestions on their own website) to move down to get Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing....we got Mario Manningham instead :jerkoff:

????

Brian Cushing went 15th overall. Giants had 29th pick overall.

Clay Matthews went 26th overall.

Mario Manningham was drafted in 2008.

This was the 2009 draft.

ok so who would you rather have matthews or nicks

based on need we need matthews more than a WR

Giant fans just dont want to admit we have the worst LBers in the league and have for years

Back in 2009 a wide receiver was much more of a need than it is currently.

How would Matthews look in a 4-3 defense when he has to *GASP* drop back and cover.

Jack, Manningham has been our most consistent wide receiver threat this season. Despite his retarded fumble against the Eagles, he's played very well this season and stepped in adequately for Steve Smith (who before his injury was fairly inconsistent, but I attribute that to teams focusing on him)....

Will Jeff Fisher be available?

You know what.. it's Wednesday n maybe we're overreacting here. Fisher, Cowher, Gruden.. whoever aren't much of an upgrade if any over Coughlin. I think the problem is Glibride.. and the fact that we have no solid linebackers.

You know what.. it's Wednesday n maybe we're overreacting here. Fisher, Cowher, Gruden.. whoever aren't much of an upgrade if any over Coughlin. I think the problem is Glibride.. and the fact that we have no solid linebackers.

A few weeks ago most of us here were lauding Goff and Boley's play....now we have no solid linebackers? They're solid. Could we use an upgrade? Yes, of course....we have no real game changers and playmakers at the position.

The problem the last few weeks has been in the secondary and ESPECIALLY the defensive line. And obviously I think they are very talented at both spots. However, with no pass rush and C Web and TT being told to play off Jennings and James Jones all game, Aaron Rodgers, with all day to throw, was able to meticulously tear us apart. Don't ask me where Osi has been the last few games or where the pass rush up the middle that's been a blessing all season....because I don't know.

But for me, Fewell deserves some blame for some pretty poor schemes this season....the Colts and Packers games stand out. I can't really blame him for the Eagles debacle because his scheme owned the Eagles in the first half....his players forgot how to contain and tackle in the last 8 minutes of the game....not so much his fault there.

Inexplicably blitzing your safeties all game and dropping your DEs into pass coverage does not constitute a solid gameplan. You're essentially taking two of your strengths and moving them out of their positions....makking them a weakness. Also, on top of that, you're asking C Web and TT a lot by not giving them a lot of safety help....