SportsWrath

Jacksons Punt Return

Virginia Giant

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/DeSean-Jackson-s-punt-return-TD-could-have-been-?urn=nfl-299786

DeSean Jackson's punt return TD could have been called back

By Chris Chase

DeSean Jackson's(notes) goal-line grandstanding could have caused his miraculous game-winning punt return to be wiped out, a review of FOX replays show.

As the Philadelphia Eagles return man was running parallel to the end zone, delaying his touchdown for maximum showboating effectiveness, a number of his teammates ran onto the field from the sideline, a clear violation of the NFL's "too many men on the field" rules.

[Related: Giants player scolded by his mom during the game]

The new wrinkle on Jackson's return was first noticed at BallHyped.com. Because he took a turn at the 6-yard line instead of running into the end zone, a number of his teammates and some coaches spilled out onto the field in anticipation of his touchdown, which didn't come until a few seconds later. A flag could have been thrown, bringing back the touchdown and sending the game to overtime.

Now, I don't think any flag should have been thrown on the play. The players weren't on the field before the snap nor during the runback. Their on-field exuberance had no effect on Jackson's touchdown. Sometimes officials need to look the other way, like a foul at the end of a basketball game. However, as BallHyped points out, this play came during the same week that the NFL made a huge deal about sideline behavior during punt returns, thanks to the dirty play of Jets strength coach Sal Alosi.

In a memo to each of the league's 32 teams after Alosi's trip of Miami Dolphins player Nolan Carroll(notes), it was stated that only coaches and substitution players are allowed within six feet of the back sideline stripe. As the picture above clearly shows, the Eagles have far more than that on the field, let alone behind the markings.

One week ago, you could have excused this because pushing out onto the field was a rule with loose enforcement, like jaywalking, illegal downloading or traveling in the NBA. Plus, Tom Coughlin was evidently on the field too, yelling at his punter. But the NFL can't enforce rules when it's convenient. This isn't like jaywalking because the NFL turned it into a much larger offense. True, the Eagles coming out wasn't a big deal in this game, but it may be in the future.

[Rewind: Obscure violation costs golfer chance at major title]

As for Jackson, you get the sense that Andy Reid allows his antics because he's such a great talent. But Jackson has shown in the past that his tendancy to hot dog isn't harmless. It can be a big deal. He almost got caught from behind on this play and could have had a penalty called on his team because he delayed scoring.

The theatricality of Jackson's celebrations are good for the NFL. The league needs more brash stars who have fun on the field and get opposing fans riled up with touchdown celebrations. Andy Reid doesn't. He needs to win. That's why he should tell his young star to tone it down ... at least until he gets into the end zone.

A couple things, I didn't think Jackson was show boating when he ran down the goal line, I got the impression he was making sure there was no time on the clock before he ran in. Not sure if he could see the clock, and I'm not sure if there would have been time on the clock had he just ran right in.

I also don't think a penalty should have bene called on too many men on the field, but it is interesting, and frustrating, that the two Giants great colapses ended on no calls.

Bullshit. We choked plain and simple. We fucked up big time and had our heads too far up our asses. If he had just ran into the endzone, then? We just plain fucked up. No reason to look for excuses or reasons or shit like this that this could be called back or that could be called back, the Eagles played dirty blah blah. We should just erase this nightmare from memory and just go put deliver a beating on the Packers.

I, too, thought that Jackson was pretty clearly trying to assure that the clock hit zero....it wasn't like he was holding the ball out taunting someone to strip it or doing some kind of dance along the goalline....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/DeSean-Jackson-s-punt-return-TD-could-have-been-?urn=nfl-299786

A couple things, I didn't think Jackson was show boating when he ran down the goal line, I got the impression he was making sure there was no time on the clock before he ran in. Not sure if he could see the clock, and I'm not sure if there would have been time on the clock had he just ran right in.

I also don't think a penalty should have bene called on too many men on the field, but it is interesting, and frustrating, that the two Giants great colapses ended on no calls.

The more poignant fact is that both collapses occurred under HC's who could not control their teams.

No one listened to Coughlin apparently when he warned of an onside kick (although how strenuously he warned them is debatable)

In Fassels case as I remember there were a number of unnecessary fighting and out of bounds penalties including Shockey throwing he ice that helped lead to the demise

Both guys liked to shuffle the Oline.....although in Coughlins case he did it at the worst possible time

Say what you want about Fewell, Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, Gruden, Fox, etc......all potential candidates to HC the Giants next year..........I do not recall these guys ever losing control of their teams during a game.

I know you are all going to say some of these guys had no more Lombardi''s than Coughlin, etc etc

But most did not have the abundance of talent Jerry Reese has put on the field, and Tom's getting very old. and it shows......he needs to take a seat

Hey Jack, I like reading your posts. I really do. You bring a different perspective and sometimes there's a germ of sense & truth in the wackiness. But hijacking every thread for an anti TC diatribe has gotten old. We hear you, we get that you want him gone. Now give it a fucking rest, will ya? You got anything else?

Hey Jack, I like reading your posts. I really do. You bring a different perspective and sometimes there's a germ of sense & truth in the wackiness. But hijacking every thread for an anti TC diatribe has gotten old. We hear you, we get that you want him gone. Now give it a fucking rest, will ya? You got anything else?

who's we.......are you part of a group there at your keyboard? As for this post....if the Eagles came onto the the field before the play was over you have to throw a flag and do the punt over 5yds up field...........rules are rules. Or you put the ball down at the 3yd line with no time on the clock..........overtime

there is no sympathy for offenders

also I was responding to the poster above you.........there was a parallel between the 2 great collapses.........coaches who could not control their teams ........teams that had tuned out their HC........it was not the 2 fluky non calls at the end......welll those too......rules are rules.....in SFO the officials ignored and obvious pass interference on a tackle eligible

And I do not want Coughlin gone.......he would make a terrific stadium operations manager........the place would run like clockwork <_<

Calling that play back would have only prolonged the misery.

Jack, come on, now: we're ending the season with a winning record no matter how we fare in the last two games. There are fans all over the NFL who would love their coach to lose the team this way.

And Fox? Even if you want to put this season aside, the guy's record has more ups and downs than some rollercoasters. You may as well want Fassel back. After all, he lost a Superbowl, too.

This, by the way, is what I mean by our defensive coordinators not being able to do anything wrong. They just have to be competent for you guys to drool over them. I can't wait to hear the wailing and lamentations if Spags wins his division with 8-8. :rolleyes:

I was a fan of Jakcs, in the sense that I knew what he was doing but every now and then he'd post something just as you describe. But recently his shtick has gone into over drive so I've been ignoring him.

Calling that play back would have only prolonged the misery.

Jack, come on, now: we're ending the season with a winning record no matter how we fare in the last two games. There are fans all over the NFL who would love their coach to lose the team this way.

And Fox? Even if you want to put this season aside, the guy's record has more ups and downs than some rollercoasters. You may as well want Fassel back. After all, he lost a Superbowl, too.

This, by the way, is what I mean by our defensive coordinators not being able to do anything wrong. They just have to be competent for you guys to drool over them. I can't wait to hear the wailing and lamentations if Spags wins his division with 8-8. :rolleyes:

I think calling that play back would have given us a 50/50 shot to win the game and the division- rules are rules

if you can call a winning TD back for a nonsense holding call that does not effect the play (seen it many times)...........16 men on the field qualifies

I think calling that play back would have given us a 50/50 shot to win the game and the division- rules are rules

if you can call a winning TD back for a nonsense holding call that does not effect the play (seen it many times)...........16 men on the field qualifies

Maybe the momentum might have shifted, but I doubt it. I was just glad it was over at that point.

BTW, Happy holidays, Jack.

"Jackson's Punt Return" needs to go away and never be seen from or mentioned again.

That would only happen if we make the playoffs and take the Eagles out of the playoffs. I don't care if we lose the game after.