SportsWrath

Any talk about Cowher in NYC

Chuck Wagon

2008 is 1-3. You have the Carolina game as a loss.

So what you're saying is that Coughlin has a winning record overall in December in his Giants tenure. 15-12, not counting this year. That record could go as high as 19-13, or as low as 17-15, depending on the outcome of the last two games.

I'm actually a little surprised that his record is as good as this. Not that this is particularly amazing, but I was expecting worse.

I do not think having a 500 record in December is the hallmark of a great team

I do not think losing all your playoff games other than one miracle year is good.........the way we lost them is worse

I do not think losing to Andy Reid and his gang of misfits year after year after year is good

I think the talent level of the present Giants team is as good or better than any Giant team ever........part of Coughlins survival revolves around the immense amount of talent he is afforded...and great DC's

All in all I will not miss him...........I'd like to see anyone (prefereably Cowher, Gruden, Johnson or Fewell) else given a shot

just my opinion...........Coughlin is Coughlin.......hes not great, hes not bad.........hes Coughlin........enough already, he had his shot

IMO all this talk about Fewell being the next head coach in the next year or two is out of whack. He needs at least 2-3 years at def coord with consistant performances to really even be considered. I don't understand how people can jump on the bus like that.

I could see Cowher in Houston, because I'd say if Kubiak got a sniff of the Denver job , he'll be out the door. And i think that's the way they might be leaning.

The only reason I mentioned Fewell next year is if Coughlin shits the bed the rest of the way, or retires. I just think if they had to, they'd promote from within, especially seeing as he's got HC experience in Buffalo. I really think the Giants will go the way of natural progression, i.e. Coughlin retiring and Fewell taking the reigns. Plus, as I keep saying, there's no football next year. While that sucks horribly, it would give Coughlin a chance to train his successor.

Who the Hell knows.....maybe we could get Spags to leave the Rams and come back.

I do not think having a 500 record in December is the hallmark of a great team

I do not think losing all your playoff games other than one miracle year is good.........the way we lost them is worse

I do not think losing to Andy Reid and his gang of misfits year after year after year is good

I think the talent level of the present Giants team is as good or better than any Giant team ever........part of Coughlins survival revolves around the immense amount of talent he is afforded...and great DC's

All in all I will not miss him...........I'd like to see anyone (prefereably Cowher, Gruden, Johnson or Fewell) else given a shot

just my opinion...........Coughlin is Coughlin.......hes not great, hes not bad.........hes Coughlin........enough already, he had his shot

Worst case scenario he's .531 after this season ends--with a possibility of .593. Oh wait, you did the records wrong in at least two other years--in your favor, actually. Wherever you got those scores, Jack, the home team goes first, not the winner. I'm not going through all of the records for you, so I'm ending this right here.

anything in the 500s is very average

great teams like the Steelers, Patriots, 49rs, Redskins , and Dallas in their heydays would rarely lose a December game

Coughlin is average

I'm looking for a coach to make us dominant............we're on two different quests here

your happy with just OK.....I'm not

The television camera has never been flattering to Tom Coughlin. That's putting it mildly.

When Coughlin is caught on camera cursing, or wildly gesticulating, or tearing off his headset, or freaking on punter Matt Dodge after the Giants choked at the Meadowlands last Sunday, the picture is self-explanatory.

It's a portrait of a coach as a lunatic.

Even if this characterization is unfair, produced by television cameras spending more time lingering on Coughlin than any other National Football League coach, the pictures create a negative perception for many eyeballs.

"You're not going to get a stuffed shirt on the sideline when you get me," Coughlin once said.

True. And when viewers "get" Coughlin, they are recipients of command performances.

Nonetheless, with Coughlin once again on the hotseat, it is fair to pose the following question: Will his sideline antics, instability and temper tantrums work against him when the final assessment on his coaching future is made by Giants suits?

This is not to suggest his nationally televised wig jobs are high on the list of reasons Coughlin could get axed. They could, however, be part of an overall package of final straws. Remember, Coughlin's bossmen once asked him to adjust his attitude and become caring and sharing with his players and more benevolent with the schlubs who cover the Giants, so they obviously pay attention to these cosmetic issues.

Coughlin now takes his act into Green Bay Sunday afternoon for a critical showdown with the Packers. Much is on the line, possibly his own coaching future. From a visual standpoint, coming off his sideline meltdown against the Eagles, he will be very much a part of the storyline. How big a spotlight will Fox put on the coach? Will the Foxies be even more at the ready to catch Coughlin going off?

"No, there's no 'Coughlin Rule' in place," said Richie Zyontz, the coordinating producer for Fox's No. 1 NFL broadcast team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. "We see him enough to tell whatever stories need to be told with the amount of time we see him on the screen already."

Whatever that "amount" of time actually is, it has been enough to seed the clouds of controversy. The pictures cut both ways. For those who like their coach fiery, that picture of Coughlin getting in Dodge's face was high art, kinda like the Mona Lisa. It provided a tiny bit of psychological solace after a humiliating defeat.

For those who prefer their coach to appear in control, cool and calm under pressure, it was more than enough reason to suggest Coughlin is nothing more than a two-bit, out-of-control tyrant - a stone bully. These pictures flat out made Coughlin look bad, look like a nut case, in the eyes of millions of viewers.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/12/24/2010-12-24_coughlin_blue_in_the_face.html#ixzz1983kRgjv