SportsWrath

Smith might be out for the season.

JMFP

If it's a torn meniscus, it's not a season-ending injury. I had that surgery.. the thing is you can play and not feel a thing till after the game the next day when your body cools down. So IF it's a meniscus injury, I don't see it being an issue for the remaining games.. he can have the surgery in the offseason just don't expect him to be the same next year. It takes a year or so to get back to normal.

Giants WR Steve Smith to undergo season-ending knee surgery

The Giants' wide receiving corps suffered its biggest loss of the season when the team learned that Steve Smith will miss of the remainder of the season with a knee injury that will require surgery.

Smith sustained an articular cartilage injury to his knee when he was tackled from behind in the Vikings game on Monday. The injury was originally believed to be in the hamstring, but an MRI conducted at the Hospital for Special Surgery on Tuesday revealed the knee problem.

The date of the surgery has not yet been determined.

Smith is the fifth wide receiver to be placed on injured reserve, joining Ramses Barden, Sinorice Moss, Victor Cruz and Domenik Hixon.

A 2009 Pro Bowler who set the franchise record for receptions in the season, Smith missed four games with a pectoral injury before returning on Monday against the Vikings. The Giants currently have eight wide receivers on the roster, although Mario Manningham is suffering from a hip flexor injury.

More to come after practice.

For the third time this season, Alex Hall has signed with with the Giants. The defensive end spent training camp with the team, a portion of the regular season and now appears set to join the team for the stretch run. To make room for Hall, the Giants placed LB Clint Sintim on injured reserve.

The Giants released DT Joe Joseph from the practice squad and added LB Kenny Ingram.

The following players are on the pre-practice injury report:

LT Shawn Andrews (back)

WR Mario Manningham (hip flexor)

C Shaun O'Hara (foot)

WR Steve Smith (knee/pectoral)

DE Osi Umenyiora (knee)

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/12/giants_wr_steve_smith_to_requi.html

So it wasn't a torn meniscus afterall.

Hey Arabian Einstein, and I say that with all due respect.....Meniscus IS Cartilage LOL www.arthroscopy.com/sp05005.htm........He'll be fine but it takes 6 weeks to minimally heal (walk run without pain), they scrape away the dead Cartlidge......he could play but its not worth the risk.....full healing takes about a year. If he is a quick healer, wears a brace and they give him steroids injections he can play in the post season, no problem......I had 3 torn Meniscus last Feb........I'm only now fully 100% .

Do we really need Steve all banged up like this?............let him take the rest of the season off and return for our 5th Trophy season

At 1st thought, losing Smith seems like a lot. And it is, hes been our surest receiver. But with the Oline doing great despite the injuries all season, and now getting healthy again, and our run game doing great, not to mention Nicks coming back and Manningham not out for the season, I think we will be fine. But the D and run game HAVE to stay on top.

Defense and a good run game=CHMAPIONSHIPS :thumbs:

Hagan's been great and they've relied more on Boss. I think we'll be fine as long as Manningham and Nicks stay healthy. The two-headed monster at RB (with fresh legs!) and fantastic play from the OLine and Pascoe is our main weapon going down the stretch.

Hagan's been great and they've relied more on Boss. I think we'll be fine as long as Manningham and Nicks stay healthy. The two-headed monster at RB (with fresh legs!) and fantastic play from the OLine and Pascoe is our main weapon going down the stretch.

Agreed, Nicks stayin healthy is huge.

I would agree....but we really need to keep everyone else intact at this point.

The Giants problem is not short passing

the opposite actually.....I have noted an alarming reluctance to throw he bomb.......probably due to captain ironpants demanding no long passing to cut down on INTs......actually the opposite is happening.....teams are sitting on the short passing game and that is causing the INTs.....

as Parcells famously said...."YOU HAVE TO STRETCH THE FIELD ONCE IN A WHILE"............the Giants are not doing this

The Giants problem is not short passing

the opposite actually.....I have noted an alarming reluctance to throw he bomb.......probably due to captain ironpants demanding no long passing to cut down on INTs......actually the opposite is happening.....teams are sitting on the short passing game and that is causing the INTs.....

as Parcells famously said...."YOU HAVE TO STRETCH THE FIELD ONCE IN A WHILE"............the Giants are not doing this

That could be because our #1 and #2 receivers have been out recently.