SportsWrath

Jason Pierre-Paul Tallies First Two Sacks Of The Season In Breakout Performance

Mr. P

I did not. I always say those guys do this for a living.. who am I to question them.

JPP looks a lot like Terrel Suggs out there.

If Suggs' arms were six inches longer, than yes. JPP's arms are ridiculous.

Easy now. I like the kid and think he's gonna be a good one but now he needs to work on being more consistent. Yes, he flashed big a few times yesterday, had a few sacks and that's great....but I was watching him a lot and he got stopped cold on a number of rushes. On some plays, he basically stood up and stopped rushing after not being able to get through on his initial burst. Looks to me like if the speed move doesn't work, he's done for the play. When the OT was able to get his feet moving quickly enough and stay between JPP and the QB, there was no penetration. He needs to learn a swim move, a bull rush and all those other wrinkles that keep an OT off balance.

I think he will - don't forget, he only played something like 7 games at South Fla. Meanwhile, Fewell is doing a good job putting him in position to use what he has - speed - while he learns what he needs.

Agreed. I noticed that as well... he needs to get some moves in his repertoire... if the speed rush and the bull rush failed, he seemed to fade.

Easy now. I like the kid and think he's gonna be a good one but now he needs to work on being more consistent. Yes, he flashed big a few times yesterday, had a few sacks and that's great....but I was watching him a lot and he got stopped cold on a number of rushes. On some plays, he basically stood up and stopped rushing after not being able to get through on his initial burst. Looks to me like if the speed move doesn't work, he's done for the play. When the OT was able to get his feet moving quickly enough and stay between JPP and the QB, there was no penetration. He needs to learn a swim move, a bull rush and all those other wrinkles that keep an OT off balance.

I think he will - don't forget, he only played something like 7 games at South Fla. Meanwhile, Fewell is doing a good job putting him in position to use what he has - speed - while he learns what he needs.

Seems like everyone was doing that yesterday, they were giving McNabb the mush-rush treatment.

Seems like everyone was doing that yesterday, they were giving McNabb the mush-rush treatment.

Looks like this was something they knew and are presumably working on. This from the scouting report when he was drafted (found on that draft day thread that's up again).

Pass rush: Lined up on both sides of the defensive line (and stood up as an outside linebacker) and has the length, effort and closing speed to be a very good pass rusher. Has the height, length and excellent vertical jump to clog passing lanes. Gets to the pocket in a hurry against most tackles, but struggles to turn the corner against better linemen because of a lack of flexibility. Flashes ability to beat tight ends with quickness but is not consistent. Very raw in his pass-rush technique -- only capable of going outside and can bull rush effectively against lesser competition. Does not get off blocks to offer a secondary rush. Dances on the edge, even when running backs meet him to chip. Not effective on twists.

If Suggs' arms were six inches longer, than yes. JPP's arms are ridiculous.

Agreed. I noticed that as well... he needs to get some moves in his repertoire... if the speed rush and the bull rush failed, he seemed to fade.

weird, a couple of the game reviews i just read were complimenting jpp for his vast array of moves, and that hes not a one trick pony.