SportsWrath

Jason Pierre-Paul Tallies First Two Sacks Of The Season In Breakout Performance

Mr. P

9082389-large.jpg

Jason Pierre-Paul understands the expectations that come with being a first-round pick. He also knows the Giants’ depth chart restricts him from becoming a starting defensive end and receiving the playing time he needs to produce inspiring statistics.

But after going through 10 regular-season games without recording a sack, the 21-year-old rookie heard about it from his teammates.

“Hopefully they’ll get off my back,” Pierre-Paul said with a smile after the Giants’ 24-20 victory against Jacksonville.

That’s because Pierre-Paul lived up to his billing in Sunday’s second half, recording his first two sacks of the season and stripping Jaguars quarterback David Garrard both times. The second and most convincing sack came on Jacksonville’s final drive.

“We knew it was just a matter of time,” defensive lineman Chris Canty said.

When Pierre-Paul returned to the locker room after the game, those veteran defensive linemen congratulated him with a dose of mockery.

“You finally got a sack, huh?” they asked.

Those same teammates have gushed since training camp about the raw tools Pierre-Paul presents. He was drafted based on potential — Pierre-Paul played only four years of organized football before earning a $20-million contract — and the franchise knew it needed to exercise patience.

But his development moved to an accelerated schedule when Mathias Kiwanuka was lost for the season in early October. Pierre-Paul gained a better understanding of the NFL after Week 4, when he realized the schemes changed each week.

Even though Pierre-Paul plays in pass-rushing situations, he often lines up inside, where he cannot simply speed around the edge. He was able to penetrate the Jaguars’ depleted offensive line yesterday and also benefited from playing against a mobile quarterback.

Because Garrard’s holds the ball longer than a less mobile quarterback, Pierre-Paul had more time to chase him.

“I was just playing defense, man,” Pierre-Paul said. “I rushed up the middle and he rolled out. So when he rolled out, I got him.”

Kiwanuka’s injury left the Giants with a void to fill. He led the team in sacks at the time of his injury. Although the defensive tackles are capable pass rushers, the defense thrived during the past five seasons when it had multiple defensive ends to rotate in and rush the passer.

Defensive tackle Barry Cofield made sure to point out that the team had more than three pass rushers when Kiwanuka was healthy, but an emerging Pierre-Paul would add an entirely new dynamic to the defense.

“Once you get the first one, it seems like a waterfall,” Cofield said.

Fellow end Justin Tuck pulled Pierre-Paul aside during the game with a message: “I don’t care what schemes they’re giving you, I don’t care what they’re doing, just play fast.”

Tuck finally saw that from the Giants’ first-round pick Sunday, and hoped that it could serve as a stepping stone for the final month of the season.

“I’ve always said JPP is one of the most athletic big men I’ve ever seen in my life,” Tuck said. “He’s a guy who, once he puts it all together on the defensive line like we ask him to do, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/11/giants_de_jason_pierre-paul_ta.html

x6n529.gif

I was not even close to proclaiming JPP a "bust". We all knew he was inexperienced and raw and there would be a learning curve. Plus, he's got two pretty good DE's in front of him. But we've started to see that #90 flashing into the backfield a few times per game the last few weeks and it was pretty obvious to me that this kid is a player. By this time next year, it will be just as obvious to the rest of the league.

He made some great plays this week. But this article whitewashes the fact that Garrard's TD run was also on Pierre-Paul; Tuck had outside containment and had a good angle, but JPP ran around him and left Garrard a cutback lane. If JPP keeps his spacing, that play is a sack, not a TD. He's still a very raw player.

He made some great plays this week. But this article whitewashes the fact that Garrard's TD run was also on Pierre-Paul; Tuck had outside containment and had a good angle, but JPP ran around him and left Garrard a cutback lane. If JPP keeps his spacing, that play is a sack, not a TD. He's still a very raw player.

Exactly Gmans point. He's raw and inexperienced. But the amazing atleticism is there, and the future looks good. :flex:

lol, the whole field seemed to be in slow motion on that play. it must've taken like 30 seconds for that thing to end. it reminded me of randall cunningham.

Kids got the potential and hopefully it shows up each week here on out.

The thing that's killing me though, why does Fewell line him up over center all the time? *side note- The encroachment penalty called on him, which might have killed the game for us, was bullshit. Philly's center flinched his wrist, the wrist not on the ball, which in NFL rules...is a false start. And this Philly douche does this all the time too.

huh?

South Florida could not beat UCONN last night, and now Uconn who has lost to Rutgers,Temple and Louisville are in a BCS bowl with 4 losses thanks to a OT victory against WV. Now the whole BCS is ruined and the bowl matchups look horrible except for the National Championship and Arkansas vs. Ohio St.

yup 2 more sacks and a fumble recovery.

made his way into my avatar for the first time in his career.

He has been in my sig since the day we drafted him, even though I was one of the people who for the first 24 hours was going "What da fuck? another DE?"

Sportswrath said he'd be a bust.

Sorry Golfy, but it's a little early to be serving crow. Two good games don't make him a star. There's also only a couple guys who said he would be a bust. Most said he was very raw, which he still is.

Exactly Gmans point. He's raw and inexperienced. But the amazing atleticism is there, and the future looks good. :flex:

Exactly HOF players never ever made such a mistake

They are Butt F PERFECT on every down............like the time Osi rushed so far upfield against Vick he disappeared into the tunnel...........its all about experience

LOL

What a bunch of old hens..........you guys have the most potent Rookie DE perhaps of all time and you complain Good Fnnnnn Grief

Exactly HOF players never ever made such a mistake

They are Butt F PERFECT on every down............like the time Osi rushed so far upfield against Vick he disappeared into the tunnel...........its all about experience

LOL

What a bunch of old hens..........you guys have the most potent Rookie DE perhaps of all time and you complain Good Fnnnnn Grief

Can I bring this up when you start clamoring for his head and demanding his backup start?

Easy now. I like the kid and think he's gonna be a good one but now he needs to work on being more consistent. Yes, he flashed big a few times yesterday, had a few sacks and that's great....but I was watching him a lot and he got stopped cold on a number of rushes. On some plays, he basically stood up and stopped rushing after not being able to get through on his initial burst. Looks to me like if the speed move doesn't work, he's done for the play. When the OT was able to get his feet moving quickly enough and stay between JPP and the QB, there was no penetration. He needs to learn a swim move, a bull rush and all those other wrinkles that keep an OT off balance.

I think he will - don't forget, he only played something like 7 games at South Fla. Meanwhile, Fewell is doing a good job putting him in position to use what he has - speed - while he learns what he needs.