SportsWrath

Cowboys Looking at Fewell to replace Wade Phillips

BleedinBlue

Fewell rumored in 'Boys mix

By BRIAN LEWIS

Posted: 3:01 AM, November 12, 2010

Wade Phillips has been fired and Jason Garrett installed as interim coach in Dallas, and now Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's name is being bandied about -- both by Cris Collinsworth on NBC and by Dallas print media to Justin Tuck -- as a potential Cowboys coach in 2011.

Fewell yesterday said he hadn't heard those rumors.

"I'm just trying to keep the job I've got right now. I just think it's a reflection if the way the kids have been playing the defense," said Fewell, who went 3-4 as Bills interim coach last year, and has the Giants' defense ranked No. 2 this year with wrinkles like a three-safety package.

We're going to keep Perry for a little while here. If anybody asks me if Perry is going to be a good coaching candidate, I'm going to say 'No,' " Tuck said.

Safety Antrel Rolle added: "I don't even want to hear that right now. . . . He's been great all year."

link

if it is the case, I think it is time for Jerry Reese to pull the trigger and have TC retire and hand over the reigns to Mr. Fewell.

I agree, I don't want to see Tom forced out, and idealy would like him to stay as long as he wanted in a JoPa way, but we're not going to keep finding dc's like Spags and Fuel. I'd like to see TC get a Bill Parcells/Mike Holmgren type position to help along fewell as the hc.

The Giants must do whatever it takes to keep Fewell away from the Cowboys.

There was a time (before most of you guys time), that the powerful Giants had an offensive coordinator named Vince Lombardi and beside him was a defensive coordinator named Tom Landry. The Giants let both of them go - one to the Packers, and one to the Cowboys. And everyone pretty much knows how that turned out. Not good for the Giants!

We do not need a repeat of history here.....or even a half a repeat of history.

There was a time (before most of you guys time), that the powerful Giants had an offensive coordinator named Vince Lombardi and beside him was a defensive coordinator named Tom Landry. The Giants let both of them go - one to the Packers, and one to the Cowboys. And everyone pretty much knows how that turned out. Not good for the Giants!

Maybe we could interest them in Gilbride :confused:

The Cowboys have to be looking at Cowher and that's all IMO. Cowher has the goods to go down there and right the ship. garrett is the lame duck until the end of the season.

Fewell needs 2 good seasons as Giants DC before he's taken seriously. He's had 8 games.

The Cowboys have to be looking at Cowher and that's all IMO. Cowher has the goods to go down there and right the ship. garrett is the lame duck until the end of the season.

Fewell needs 2 good seasons as Giants DC before he's taken seriously. He's had 8 games.

Do you think Cowher would be interested in dealing with Jerry Jones?

why the concern? the dog doesn't think it is such an easy jump from DC to head coach. he may not be able to make that jump successfully. and let's see how he does for a year here before firing coughlin to name him head coach.

He already has as the Bills interim head coach last year. Considering he was 3-4 with the hapless Bills I would think he would be the ideal candidate to replace TC of the Giants current coaches. I doubt JJ though would do it as he is all about the name recognition.

1. Fewell is starting to get enough of a reputation to make his name worthy of the Cowboys signing him.

2. I don't think that it'd be too terrible of an idea to get Coughlin in a GM/advisor type role SHOULD Fewell be offered a HC position elsewhere. Call Fewell the HC in waiting in the same manner that Garrett was in Dallas.

3. Cowher isn't going to Dallas. I really don't see that fit working for him because of Jones. Especially, if Cowher will have options elsewhere, which all reports say he will. I would sooner see Cowher in Carolina and Gruden in Dallas. I could see Fox then going to Buffalo.

1. Fewell is starting to get enough of a reputation to make his name worthy of the Cowboys signing him.

2. I don't think that it'd be too terrible of an idea to get Coughlin in a GM/advisor type role SHOULD Fewell be offered a HC position elsewhere. Call Fewell the HC in waiting in the same manner that Garrett was in Dallas.

3. Cowher isn't going to Dallas. I really don't see that fit working for him because of Jones. Especially, if Cowher will have options elsewhere, which all reports say he will. I would sooner see Cowher in Carolina and Gruden in Dallas. I could see Fox then going to Buffalo.

At the very least, if Fewell does go, I'd welcome Fox back as DC with open arms.

I've heard John Fox's name being thrown into the mix too.

That would suck, and suck badly. He has a possibility to be a better head coach than Spagnuolo, in my opinion.

Let's see how the season plays out.....if TC wins another Super Bowl, there is a strong chance he retires. If the defense sufferes any setbacks, it will take the bloom off the rose.

But if Jerry Jones is going to make a run at Fewell, it's up to the ownership of the Giants to respond.

Coughlin is the oldest coach in the league....if he were in his 50s, it would be a different scenario.

But John Mara and Tisch need get in a room with Reese, Coughlin, and Fewell and decide what the future of Giants will be.

In short, they need to work out a plan similar to the Dungy/Caldwell situation in Indy.

Lombardi, Landry, Belichick, Fox, Sean Payton, Spags.....this is getting fucking ridiculous.

Do you think Cowher would be interested in dealing with Jerry Jones?

Right now, I think a guy like Cowher could deal with him right now. Jones knows he fucked up. He hired Phillips because he wanted a guy who would yes him to death and it didn't work. Jones has too much riding on this. that team has talent, but the window for success is smaller because a lot of that team have been around a while. Let's be honest, Dallas with a good coach is probably neck and neck with us now.

Seriously, let's move Coughlin up the ladder to keep a guy who's done well for half a season?

And Fewell did okay with the Bills, so why didn't they offer him the job? Wouldn't that situation have been a perfect slot for the guy since the only way he could have gone was up with a rebuilding team a la Spags.

we have had so many great coordinators, Landry,Lombardi,Belichick,Fox,Peyton,Nolan and Spags just to name a few and most of them have won or lead a team to a super bowl, and Spagnuolo seems to be doing great in St. Louis they could make the playoffs in a weak division, yeah I think we should keep Fewell at all costs even doing something like the Colts did with Jim Caldwell while Dungy was talking retirement.

Seriously, let's move Coughlin up the ladder to keep a guy who's done well for half a season?

And Fewell did okay with the Bills, so why didn't they offer him the job? Wouldn't that situation have been a perfect slot for the guy since the only way he could have gone was up with a rebuilding team a la Spags.

It's the Bills so it's not an indictment of Fewell. Ask Storm about the great management of the Bills. They dropped Fewell, who managed to go 3-4 with a bad team, to hire Gailey who is now 0-6. Meanwhile the Giants defense is top 5 in almost every category while Buffalo's D has slipped a lot. I know the season isn't over and promoting him to HC is a little premature but he's a good candidate none the less.

You're asking why the Bills didn't keep Fewell as the HC? The same reason other teams hire bad coaches or don't keep good coaches. Afterall, the Cowboys hired Wade Phillips. And Fewell did do ok for a shitty team, I remember thinking to myself what a good job he was doing there last year.

Don't get me wrong, I love TC, I admit to being a part of the fire coughlin campaign before he won the super bowl, but imo he can oach the Giants as long as he feels like. My point is, if TC decied to retire after the season, Fewell is the perfect canidate, much like he the perfect candidate for Dallas. Young enough to be creative, yet has at least some experience being a HC and knowing whats in store. Fewell is a beter candidate to lead the Giants than Spags was for that reason, he has about a half a season leading a team, in a really good division.

All that said, we've won nagainst less than stellar teams, and Fewell's defensive plan for the Colts was terrible(though it's hard to play good D vs the Colts, especially for an nfc team that doesn't face Peyton regularly), so I want to wait to see how this season goes before we make any offers.

What mix, Dallas?. He hasn't a hope of going to Dallas. Fox has been mediocre since going to the superbowl. I wouldn't want him back as DC either.

Fox was great at DC for us.. and we suffered mightily when he left for Carolina. If we lose Fewel, which I doubt, then Fox has to at least be in consideration.