SportsWrath

NFL Top 100 Players

JMFP

LT had the eagles. c'mon man.

Jaworski: "Ready....Ready....Ready....block that motherfucking LT"

Sorry I am not giving it up for some soft ass WR...I would give it to Montana first and he was a system QB in my opinion. Guys like Unitas, Brown or any number of other guys should be number 1.

Jaworski: "Ready....Ready....Ready....block that motherfucking LT"

Sorry I am not giving it up for some soft ass WR...I would give it to Montana first and he was a system QB in my opinion. Guys like Unitas, Brown or any number of other guys should be number 1.

well it's all opinion anyway. and drafting a team is a whole 'nother argument. i agree montana was a system QB. but i was watching some footage from his super bowls. man that guy had vision and cool . saw john candy in the stands with 1:30 to go down by 4.

well it's all opinion anyway. and drafting a team is a whole 'nother argument. i agree montana was a system QB. but i was watching some footage from his super bowls. man that guy had vision and cool . saw john candy in the stands with 1:30 to go down by 4.

LOL!!! Man I feel old....

Good point, whoever they were, they were scrubs. lol

49ers had the Rams and Saints in that division. The Rams were no pushovers and the Saints had some decent teams and gave the 49ers a hard time at least at home. The seahawks were in the AFC west back then.

Jerry Rice......23540 yards from scrimmage in 20 seasons

Emmitt Smith........21579 yards from scimmage in 15 seasons

Marshall Faulk.....19,154 yards from scrimmage in 12 seasons

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_career.htm

I just don't see Rice being that much better than Emmitt at #28.....or Marshall Faulk at #70.

Sorry, just not seeing it.

What is the schedule for him on the FAN man?

Mondays and Fridays @11AM with Joe and Evan. Each time he comes on he makes great points and presents an angle I never saw. If I didn't have to actually see the Giants playing I would gladly tune into the radio broadcast to hear his live analysis.

I'm fine with Rice at #1. Aside from being the most dominant receiver I've ever seen... the guy went to the Pro Bowl at 41. If people want to call him "soft" go ahead, but I think it takes an Iron Man to get creamed by 230lb safeties when you're old enough to be a granddad. His conditioning was legendary and he single-handedly redefined most players' offseason training regimens (hill training, nutrition, etc).

Yes, he was fortunate enough to play with Montana and Young (Montana I always though of as being the best QB ever), but he also made a Pro Bowler out of Rich Gannon... yes, the same Rich Gannon that was cut by a half-dozen other NFL teams. So it's a chicken-and-egg scenario.

Not only does Rice own every receiving record out there, but the next guy isn't even close to any of them.

If I had a top-five it'd be:

1. Rice

2. Montana

3. Taylor

4. Brown

5. Larry Allen (yes, I'd put him before Munoz)

49ers had the Rams and Saints in that division. The Rams were no pushovers and the Saints had some decent teams and gave the 49ers a hard time at least at home. The seahawks were in the AFC west back then.

I knew the Rams were there and Seattle was in the AFC, but I couldnt remember where the Saints were. idk about the Saints, but the Rams had some good Dickerson led teams.

i was shocked that Brown came in number 2. He was WAY before my time, but he dominated the game.

Brown was taken in the first round of the 1956 draft by the Cleveland Browns.[9] He departed as the NFL record holder for both single-season (1,863 in 1963) and career rushing (12,312 yards), as well as the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns (106), total touchdowns (126), and all-purpose yards (15,549). He was the first player ever to reach the 100-rushing-touchdowns milestone, and only a few others have done so since, despite the league's expansion to a 16-game season in 1978 (Brown's first four seasons were only 12 games, and his last five were 14 games). Brown's record of scoring 100 touchdowns in only 93 games stood until LaDainian Tomlinson did it in 89 games during the 2006 season. Brown holds the record for total seasons leading the NFL in all-purpose yards (5: 1958–1961, 1964), and is the only rusher in NFL history to average over 100 yards per game for a career. Brown was also a superb receiver out of the backfield, catching 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns. Every season he played, Brown was voted into the Pro Bowl, and he left the league in style by scoring three touchdowns in his final Pro Bowl game. Perhaps the most amazing feat is that Jim Brown accomplished these records despite never playing past 29 years of age. Brown's 6 games with at least 4 touchdowns remains an NFL record. LaDainian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk both have five games with 4 touchdowns.

He told me, 'Make sure when anyone tackles you he remembers how much it hurts.' He lived by that philosophy and I always followed that advice.

—John Mackey, 1999

Brown's 1,863 rushing yards in the 1963 season remain a Cleveland franchise record. It is currently the oldest franchise record for rushing yards out of all 32 NFL teams. While others have compiled more prodigious statistics, when viewing Brown's standing in the game his style of running must be considered along with statistical measures. He was very difficult to tackle (shown by his leading 5.2 yards per carry), often requiring more than one person to bring him down.[citation needed]

Brown retired far ahead of the second-leading rusher and remains the league's eighth all-time leading rusher, and is still the Cleveland Browns all-time leading rusher.

Apparently Dion is FUCKING pissed he was

a) not in the top 5...he was 32nd or something.

b) not the top corner...Night Train Lane was.

c) CBs got no respect on the list....Night Train was something like 30th over all...no cb's in the top 30. .

I think he has a point on c.....a corner should have been in the top 10...it is as tough and important a position as there is in the game since the mid 80's onward.

Rice was a great receiver....but I think the Niner's win superbowls without him...not as many..but they win them...they don't win any without Montana or Young.

C. Wagon.

Apparently Dion is FUCKING pissed he was

a) not in the top 5...he was 32nd or something.

b) not the top corner...Night Train Lane was.

c) CBs got no respect on the list....Night Train was something like 30th over all...no cb's in the top 30. .

I think he has a point on c.....a corner should have been in the top 10...it is as tough and important a position as there is in the game since the mid 80's onward.

Rice was a great receiver....but I think the Niner's win superbowls without him...not as many..but they win them...they don't win any without Montana or Young.

C. Wagon.

Bill Walsh wanted Phil Simms. I think he would've done the job there. Really it was Walsh that was the key element.

I guess my beef with the list is that all positions are not created equal.

If you look at football as a physical Chess match, here's how I would rank the importance of the players.

2. QB (e.g, Montana, Unitas, Marino) is the most important position on the team; just like a dominant pitcher, or a dominant goalie, a great QB can win a game against virtually any opponent, regardless of how good their defense might be.
  3. The pass rusher who can stop the QB (e.g., Lawrence Taylor, Deacon Jones, Reggie White) is the most important player on the defense
  4. The lineman who can protect the QB from the defender and dominate the line of scrimmage (e.g., Munoz) is the 3rd most important position on the team.
  5. The cornerback who can take half the field from a QB (Deion Sanders, Night Train Lane, Emlen Tunnell is the 4th most important.
  6. The running back who can move the chains in any weather, protect the ball, protect the lead, and support the QB (Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk) is the 5th most important player.
  7. The defender that can protect the middle of the field, and stop the run and the short-intermediate pass (linebackers like Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, safeties like Ronnie Lott)is the 6th most important.
  8. The wide receiver that stretches the defense and open up the run is the 7th most important

Again, all of this is highly subjective, to be sure. But to me it makes no sense that Jerry Rice would be #1, and a weapon like Jeff Feagles (or any pure kicker, for that matter) doesn't even break the Top #100.

So to me, the greatest player of all time is an argument between Joe Montana or Johnny Unitas. Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Anthony Munoz, or even a Deion Sanders deserves to be considered in the top 5. Jerry Rice, by virtue of his dominance of the position, deserves to be in the Top 5 / Top 10 category.

But to give the #1 rank to ANY wide receiver just doesn't fit into how you build a winning team, or create a dynasty, unless you subscribe to the Al Davis / Matt Millen GM School.

An easy question: would anyone on this message board draft Jerry Rice ahead of Dan Marino? If not, this list is flawed.

Bill Walsh wanted Phil Simms. I think he would've done the job there. Really it was Walsh that was the key element.

Simms would have thrived in Walsh's system.

When he had protection, Simms was the most dangerous passer I've ever seen. His accuracy was off-the-charts, as he showed in the Super Bowl v Denver. He put on a passing clinic....QB's have passed for more yards and TD in the SB, but I have yet to see a QB play better than Simms on that day. Sheer brilliance.

When you think about how much Parcells relied on him to convert 3rd and long, Simms was terrific. They don't keep a stat for 3rd down passing while getting drilled by a linebacker, but if they did, Simms would own it. The fact that his most dangerous weapon was Lionel Manuel makes it even more impressive.

Still, Joe Montana had much better pocket presence and footwork. His ability to avoid the sack and make the play is what seperated Montana from Simms in my opinion.

NFC West was Niners, Saints, Rams, and Falcons.

The Eagles on a whole were a decent team in the 80's. You're thinking of the Cardinals. I miss them to this day. :cwy:

LT feasted on both teams. That's why jaworski's uni said 567

Chalk me up for Jim Brown. A great running back (particularly back then) could cover lots of weaknesses at other skill positions; and even a mediocre defense, to a degree. It took decades for anyone to beat his career record in total yards, playing more seasons, and many more games. 5.2 yards/carry over a career? That's insane.

Chalk me up for Jim Brown. A great running back (particularly back then) could cover lots of weaknesses at other skill positions; and even a mediocre defense, to a degree. It took decades for anyone to beat his career record in total yards, playing more seasons, and many more games. 5.2 yards/carry over a career? That's insane.

I'd have no issue with Jim Brown as #1.