SportsWrath

Charlie Whitehurst Will Make NFL Debut Vs. The Giants

Mr. P

Charlie Whitehurst has a fun assignment for his first NFL start: The New York Giants.

The Seahawks announced on Thursday that Matt Hasselbeck has not passed the appropriate tests following the concussion he suffered last week against the Raiders. That leaves Whitehurst in line to make his first NFL appearance since 2006, when he rushed the ball twice in garbage time during his rookie season with the Chargers.

This is why Pete Caroll brought Whitehurst to Seattle. He's not a rookie or scrap heap veteran. He's a 28-year-old that Seattle gave up draft picks for and then paid $8 million over two seasons because Carroll thought there was a chance he could be the future of the position in Seattle.

"Disappointed for Matt but this is best for his health. we're really looking forward to seeing Charlie go to work!" Pete Carroll tweeted just after the news came out.

The Giants defense is playing as well as anyone in the league, and the Seahawks are rather banged up, including on the offensive line. I don't know about Florio, but I'm feeling even more confident in my Giants pick this week now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/04/matt-hasselbeck-ruled-out-charlie-whitehurst-to-make-first-nfl-start/

giants by 40.

I wouldnt get to giddy over this. Whitehurst is supposed to be really talented.

Having said that, I bet Hassleback is just a pussy who doesnt want to get hurt.

Yes, especially since the Giants have a habit of making Rookie (or Back-up) look like Peyton Manning.

I honestly feel sorry for what the young man will have to endure on Sunday. It's almost not fair. He doesn't have a prayer... not only that O-line, but their defensive line is banged up as well. This game will probably be over by mid-3rd quarter and I usually try to temper my expectations about such games... but this is the perfect storm for the Giants to absolutely demolish a team.

At 6'4", Whitehurst has perfect size, a strong arm, excellent mobility, and good pocket presence. He lasted until the third round in 2006 because he was too inconsistent in college; the scouting report on him says he tried to force too many throws downfield.

did a little digging on this dude..... seems very raw coming out from college. after reading some scouting reports during his draft year. It seems he a lower version of Rivers. But with the years on the side line, it's unknown how much he's developed. I mean if seahawks is willing to give up so much for this dude.. i'm sure he's pretty good. Just don't know how much he learn from the new system.

overall, i think we'll get a Win.... Vegas currently have us favorite by 7....

did a little digging on this dude..... seems very raw coming out from college. after reading some scouting reports during his draft year. It seems he a lower version of Rivers. But with the years on the side line, it's unknown how much he's developed. I mean if seahawks is willing to give up so much for this dude.. i'm sure he's pretty good. Just don't know how much he learn from the new system.

overall, i think we'll get a Win.... Vegas currently have us favorite by 7....

Who is the back up to Charlie?

Does Charlie have his life insurance paid up LOL :rolleyes:

Seahawks turn to Whitehurst at QB after Hasselbeck ruled out

RENTON, Wash. -- If the New York Giants are going to add to their knockout list of quarterbacks, it won't be Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck.

Hasselbeck, the Seahawks' starting QB, is out for Sunday's game against New York with a concussion, with Seattle coach Pete Carroll announcing Thursday that Hasselbeck had not been cleared to play. Charlie Whitehurst will make the first start of his career.

"I think it's a little more serious than I thought. I visited with Matt after the game and stuff and I didn't realize there was anything going on. Not till Monday did we really ... there were some symptoms and stuff like that and then we took it very seriously," Carroll said. "I'm surprised a little bit, but it's real. That's good for me to understand it better, too."

Carroll said Hasselbeck would still need to be cleared under the league-mandated concussion testing in order to play next week at Arizona.

Hasselbeck suffered his concussion late in last week's 33-3 loss at Oakland. Carroll said Monday and again Wednesday he hoped Hasselbeck would be cleared and able to play against the Giants.

Instead, it'll be Whitehurst, who was brought to Seattle in a trade with San Diego in the offseason, but has never thrown a pass in a regular-season game.

"The circumstances are good," Whitehurst said. "We're playing a good team. Playing at home. It's all you can really ask for. I plan on going out there and executing and helping this team win."

Outside of three snaps in garbage time last week, Whitehurst gets his first opportunity. Whitehurst spent his first four years in San Diego as the third-stringer behind Philip Rivers and Billy Volek.

The Seahawks acquired him in March for a swap of second-round picks in the 2010 draft and an undisclosed 2011 selection.

"He's ready," Carroll said of Whitehurst. "I've talked to Charlie from the first day he got here that he's coming here to play football. Nothing else. He's not coming here to be a backup or to do anything other than to make himself a spot. He has done a fantastic job up until this point. He's done everything that we've asked of him and we're real excited to see him play now."

The Seahawks will face an imposing Giants defense that has knocked out five quarterbacks this season and had 10 sacks against Chicago in Week 4. Seattle's banged-up offensive line allowed eight sacks of Hasselbeck last week in Oakland.

"I've got a lot to worry about. I'm not going to worry about that. I'm confident in the guys up front," Whitehurst said. "They can do their jobs and I know what they've done to quarterbacks this year, but we're confident we're going to go out there and play well."

That's pretty funny.

NFL.com

I honestly feel sorry for what the young man will have to endure on Sunday. It's almost not fair. He doesn't have a prayer... not only that O-line, but their defensive line is banged up as well. This game will probably be over by mid-3rd quarter and I usually try to temper my expectations about such games... but this is the perfect storm for the Giants to absolutely demolish a team.

It was only last year where I was thinking we could handle Matt Moore, at home, with the playoffs on the line.

But everything is telling me the Giants should cream the Seahawks.....we are healthy on offense and defense, and outside of the turnovers, the Giants are the strongest, most balanced team in the NFL right now. Further, Fewell is going to throw so many different looks at this kid that I'm almost certain he'll be picked at least 3 times.

Bottom line: the Seahawks are like a banged up verson of the Titans.....if the Giants play a smart game, this will be over by the 4th quarter.

The biggest opponents: turnovers, mental errors (crowd noise), and special teams.

Yeah guys, don't get ahead of yourselves. But when was the last time you saw the Giants Put someone away and the score actually reflect that. We have a penchant for allowing teams to hang around during a course of a game. We will probably cover the spread but they will allow the seahawks to score.

I dont think this is going to be a blowout by any means..I like the Giants to cover the 7, but not much more.

Leon Washington will score two TD's on punt/kickoff returns

Unfortunately you are probably right. STs are going to kill the Giants. :furious:

Yeah guys, don't get ahead of yourselves. But when was the last time you saw the Giants Put someone away and the score actually reflect that. We have a penchant for allowing teams to hang around during a course of a game. We will probably cover the spread but they will allow the seahawks to score.

The last time we played Seattle! 44-6, 2008.

But actually there was a couple of times last year. 45-16 vs Washington wk15. 44-7 Oakland wk 5, and 24-0 Tampa Bay wk 3. It happens, and our team is better this year than the last two seasons, in my view.

But actually there was a couple of times last year. 45-16 vs Washington wk15. 44-7 Oakland wk 5, and 24-0 Tampa Bay wk 3. It happens, and our team is better this year than the last two seasons, in my view.

OK, Point taken. I had forgotten about those games. I just seem to remeber those horrific efforts that we barely squeak by in that should of been blow outs. I will get off my soap box and bow to your superior memory.

Ahhhh. Good old 2008 Was that the year where we got our ass handed to us on national TV against the Browns after starting the season looking unstoppable ??? Which also lead to shit hitting the fan with plex shooting his leg.....

Don't think any of us can get that outta our heads. It's stained for life

Anyone betting?