SportsWrath

4-2-5

Lughead

The Giants will have linebacker Keith Bulluck back after the veteran missed three straight games with a toe injury.

Bulluck adds a physical presence and experience to the defense. The Giants have been using three safeties together quite a bit in their defense and lining a safety up –- many times Deon Grant – at linebacker.

With Bulluck back, the Giants can go with their base 4-3 defense on run plays and also use him and another linebacker in a 4-2-5 if needed.

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said Bulluck’s addition changes “some” of his thinking with how much he will use his three-safety alignment. But Fewell loves mixing it up and he has had success with his versatile safeties all on the field together.

“We’ll do a number of different things just based on what the opponent will do but just having Keith back in and back in the huddle, it definitely helps us from a defensive standpoint,” Fewell said.

Bulluck will help against a Dallas offense that is ranked third in total offense in the NFL and has Marion Barber and Felix Jones running the ball.

“I think he can add physical play," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "With he and Jon (Goff) in there, I think we will have our best foot forward against the physical part of the run."

The Cowboys are not running the ball, yet, and I think are almost last. A 4-2-5 to stop Romo is going to be the best bet and can force him into mistakes. Also getting pressure will help that line get even more penalties. I don't think Garrett will be getting many HC job offers anymore. :smartass:

Given how pass happy the league has become lately and the availability of tweener LB/Safety players it only seems logical that defenses would start to focus on defending against the pass more. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4-2-5 defense became more of a base style defense.

Will that be a few days before or after the wildcat becomes a standard offensive package?

Given how pass happy the league has become lately and the availability of tweener LB/Safety players it only seems logical that defenses would start to focus on defending against the pass more. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4-2-5 defense became more of a base style defense.

Will that be a few days before or after the wildcat becomes a standard offensive package?

Two entirely different scenarios. The wildcat was never seriously going to replace having a conventional QB behind center. A 4-2-5 defense with the fifth defensive back being a tweener LB/safety merely modifies the existing base 4-3 defense, it doesn't completely change it.

Having Bulluck ready to play is a great situation to be in. Not sure how often he'll see the field, especially considering the Cowboys run/pass ratio, which favors having better coverage guys in there.

Lucky for the Giants, we've got safeties that are effective against the run, and can cover as well.

These things work because you have the right players for it. Its the reason why the wildcat works in Miami, they have the players for it. Its the reason why our defense works for us and wouldn't work for Miami, we have the players for it.

That tweener linebacker/safety has to be able to do two oddly hard to find things, cover and tackle. Quite a few linebackers can't cover a pass catching TE/RB. Plenty of safeties can't tackle.

We've been very fortunate that our safeties have been solid tacklers this season. Particularly surprised with Rolle coming in on run support.

Two entirely different scenarios. The wildcat was never seriously going to replace having a conventional QB behind center. A 4-2-5 defense with the fifth defensive back being a tweener LB/safety merely modifies the existing base 4-3 defense, it doesn't completely change it.