SportsWrath

So this is what its like to have some really good safeties

JayD

For the first time since Ive watched the NYG, going on 24 years now, this is the first year that we play 2 pro bowl caliber safeties every time our defense comes on to the field. It amazes me what a difference it makes. Especialy when you have a D-line thats able to stop the run and pressure the QB the way we have been the last couple weeks. Its hard enough for a QB to handle pressure like that, only to look down field and find that our entire secondary is in a possible possition to make a play on the ball. Its suddenly very hard to find the open man. Last year we had 2 of the worst safeties in the league, and it was the worst Giants defense Ive seen in my life time. This year we got Phillips back, and signed Antrel Rolle and Deon Grant, and in 5 weeks have become the best defense in the league. Sure its early yet, but now that these guys are getting comfortable in the new system, I think this defense is gonna be lights out. And our safeties will be a huge factor.

It's not just the safeties. We have some pretty damn good corners in Ross, Webster, and Thomas.

Of course not. Our entire defense is playing very well. Im just saying this is what has been missing all these years

For the first time since Ive watched the NYG, going on 14 years now, this is the first year that we play 2 pro bowl caliber safeties every time our defense comes on to the field. It amazes me what a difference it makes. Especialy when you have a D-line thats able to stop the run and pressure the QB the way we have been the last couple weeks. Its hard enough for a QB to handle pressure like that, only to look down field and find that our entire secondary is in a possible possition to make a play on the ball. Its suddenly very hard to find the open man. Last year we had 2 of the worst safeties in the league, and it was the worst Giants defense Ive seen in my life time. This year we got Phillips back, and signed Antrel Rolle and Deon Grant, and in 5 weeks have become the best defense in the league. Sure its early yet, but now that these guys are getting comfortable in the new system, I think this defense is gonna be lights out. And our safeties will be a huge factor.

Agreed. I'm fairly accustomed to our front 7 having talent but I've never seen a Giants team where the secondary wasn't average at best and in most cases it was a liability.

To actually see our safeties not just not screwing up the game, but being a positive force, is very refreshing. And it makes a big difference.

-Z

Agreed. I'm fairly accustomed to our front 7 having talent but I've never seen a Giants team where the secondary wasn't average at best and in most cases it was a liability.

To actually see our safeties not just not screwing up the game, but being a positive force, is very refreshing. And it makes a big difference.

-Z

Before the season started, I underestemated what these guys would bring to the table. As a life long Giants fan safeties were mostly talked about in a negative way. But I knew our new DC was known for great secondary scheme's so Ive been keepin a close eye on them.

BTW Ive been watching the Giants for 24 years, not 14.

For the first time since Ive watched the NYG, going on 24 years now, this is the first year that we play 2 pro bowl caliber safeties every time our defense comes on to the field. It amazes me what a difference it makes. Especialy when you have a D-line thats able to stop the run and pressure the QB the way we have been the last couple weeks. Its hard enough for a QB to handle pressure like that, only to look down field and find that our entire secondary is in a possible possition to make a play on the ball. Its suddenly very hard to find the open man. Last year we had 2 of the worst safeties in the league, and it was the worst Giants defense Ive seen in my life time. This year we got Phillips back, and signed Antrel Rolle and Deon Grant, and in 5 weeks have become the best defense in the league. Sure its early yet, but now that these guys are getting comfortable in the new system, I think this defense is gonna be lights out. And our safeties will be a huge factor.

I agree 100%....the change has been dramatic.

I read that Fewell was using a 3-safety alignment quite a bit next week....they've all done a great job with run support, too.

-Z

Terry Kinard was a hell of a safety for us back in the 80s and we also had Mark Collins and Perry Williams who where both very good corners. Reyna Thompson also played some corner and was an absolute demon on special teams.

Kinard went to the pro bowl I am pretty sure. Collins should have.

also fwiw to the guy out there who wants to bash my man Collins over the Flipper Anderson OT play in '89 all I can say is we would not have seen OT in that game without Collins stunning int in the 4th quarter.

-Z

In 90s id say its more of our front 4. are LBs since 97 have been a bunch of nobodys

Terry Kinard was a hell of a safety for us back in the 80s and we also had Mark Collins and Perry Williams who where both very good corners. Reyna Thompson also played some corner and was an absolute demon on special teams.

also fwiw to the guy out there who wants to bash my man Collins over the Flipper Anderson OT play in '89 all I can say is we would not have seen OT in that game without Collins stunning int in the 4th quarter.

Lol I'm only 22 and only been watching the Giants since the Danny Kannell era...so was commenting on my personal experience.

-Z

I agree 100%....the change has been dramatic.

I read that Fewell was using a 3-safety alignment quite a bit next week....they've all done a great job with run support, too.

Makes me wish we played the Colts later in the season, once everyone was comfortable in the scheme. Maybe we would have had the balls to play tward our strengths instead of playing 15 DB's.

Makes me wish we played the Colts later in the season, once everyone was comfortable in the scheme. Maybe we would have had the balls to play tward our strengths instead of playing 15 DB's.

So far our losses have been to AFC teams.. pretty good when it comes to tie breakers.

Kinard was terrific.....Mark Collins was a complete stud, too.

Remember Elvis Patterson????

We're actually going out there and playing with 3 safeties.

We're actually going out there and playing with 3 safeties.

yes a lot of 4 - 2 - 5.

I know the 3 - 4 is all the rage right now but 4 - 2 - 5 makes sense against spread. Grant gives us great flexibility because he is so solid in the run game as well