SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs presser

Lughead

The Blue Screen

by Ralph Vacchiano

September 22, 2010 3:13 PM 6 Comments

Sorry Jacobs puts head back in the game »

By Ralph Vacchiano

The ongoing Brandon Jacobs soap opera is finally over. Or at least he says it is. For now.

The latest chapter was put to bed this afternoon when Jacobs, two days after airing his grievances to Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese, issued a lengthy apology to the media, his teammates, his coaches, and pretty much everyone he could think of. And it came during an eight-minute interview session - - the longest he's had in years.

The theme of the session? That Jacobs, despite being a backup running back and despite his recent behavior, is "absolutely in the right frame of mind."

"Just to put this whole thing to bed, my issue was the explanation (for his demotion from the starting lineup)," Jacobs said. "I didn't have one. I have one now. Now all that stuff is gone. It's done. And we're moving forward. So that's what lit my dynamite. It was the explanation to what was going on."

Jacobs didn't say what the explanation was, though Coughlin explained to the media on Monday that Ahmad Bradshaw had simply earned the right to start. But he insisted he accepted it after his lengthy chat with his bosses. He also admitted to an ongoing on-the-field problem - - that he's stopped being the powerful, straight ahead runner that he used to be.

He admitted that he needs to do more of that, rather than darting side to side as if he were a smaller, shiftier running back. And though he said it's not easy, he admitted that maybe he should use some of his built-up anger during games.

"I'm a highly energetic guy," Jacobs said, "and I'm ready to use it out on the field."

"I can set a physical tone when the opportunity is given," Jacobs added. "That's what I want to do. I want to get everybody driven up right away so we can let these teams know right off the bat that, 'Hey, this whole game is going to be like this, so be ready.' And the next team that's coming in the next week will see that as well. That's what I want to do."

Now that sounds a little more like the old, 6-4, 264-pound battering ram who ran over defenses enroute to back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in 2007 and 2008.

"I'm definitely at my best when I'm more physical," he said. "That kind of keeps the defense guessing about what's going to happen. A lot of guys are not going to take that for four quarters. That's what I want to do to them."

It's OK, Brandon. We forgive you

Oh, you guys were included in Jacobs' all-inclusive apology. So here it is:

"First off I want to start by saying to you guys (the media), the last month it hasn't been so pleasant dealing with me," he said. "I've been in a state of mind where I hated all you guys. I apologize to each and every one of you for acting the way I've been acting the last month or so.

"Secondly I want to apologize to my teammates for putting them in a position to answer these questions about me when they should be focusing on winning games, (to) our organization for the same thing, and the Indianapolis Colts organization as well as their fans and our fans for the incident. Again, I didn't mean for that to happen. I was angry. I should've never threw the helmet, no matter where it went. And a special apology to the fellow that caught it. I apologize to him and his family and everyone else who was in the area who could've been harmed.

"Those are my apologies and I mean them 100 percent."

I meant what I said and I said what I meant

I'll have much more for you from Antrel Rolle later on today, but for starters he did not back down from anything he said on the radio yesterday. He wouldn't explain what he meant by the Giants being too "controlled". But he didn't regret anything he said - - just the forum in which he chose to say it.

"(Coughlin) didn't have too many problems about what I said, it was how it was broadcast," Rolle said. "I definitely should have come in first. I told him that I apologize for it. It will never happen again, which it won't. But I stand by my words. What I said is what I said."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...9#ixzz10INU0j00

Remember when i said that Coughlin should of sat Jacobs down and explained what he wanted of him and what his new role should of been ? How they wouldn't of had problems in the locker room and animosity ?

A newer, kinder Jacobs

September, 22, 2010 Sep 22 6:13 PM ET

By Ohm Youngmisuk Once he was done apologizing to practically the entire English speaking world, the newer, kinder Brandon Jacobs said he is focused and has his head on straight to run hard and powerful again.

The running back said his frustration with his role subsided after his meetings with Tom Coughlin and GM Jerry Reese and he is fully committed.

“My issue with this whole thing was the explanation of why all this happened,” Jacobs said of going from starter to the backup running back. “I didn’t have one. I have one now. All this stuff is gone. All of it’s done, and we’re moving forward. So that’s what it was that lit my dynamite is an explanation to what was going on.”

Jacobs understands he has to set the physical tone for the Giants rushing attack. No more running side to side.

“We’ve just got to get our heads on right and go up the field,” Jacobs said. “We’ve got to kind of go at guys. We’re a physical team. We’re a physical bunch. We can go up and knock some guys off the ball, one or two guys here and there, and that’s going to get us to start it the right way.”

“I can get out and set the physical tone when opportunity is given,” added Jacobs, who saw just four carries on Sunday against Indianapolis. “That’s what I want to do. I want to get everybody jumping up right away so we can let these teams know that right off the bat that’s what this whole game is going to be like. I want to send positive energy across to my football team.”

yeah, and i still stand by that coughlin shouldn't have had to explain that to him.

he needed it explained to him that him being the 6'5 265lb rb should set a physical tone and not run side to side?

"Uhh, Brandon? We'd like you to have a POSITIVE YPC...."

yeah, and i still stand by that coughlin shouldn't have had to explain that to him.

he needed it explained to him that him being the 6'5 265lb rb should set a physical tone and not run side to side?

Whatever they talked about when they sat down seems to of quelled Jacobs. If Coughlin had of done this before maybe they wouldn't of had the problem(Jacobs Pouting out loud) they had in this early part of the season. I am just happy to see (hopefully) that Jacobs realizes he can't dance he needs to bulldoze like he used to. We shall see.

Remember when i said that Coughlin should of sat Jacobs down and explained what he wanted of him and what his new role should of been ? How they wouldn't of had problems in the locker room and animosity ?

Sometimes all it takes is a simple explanation. Show the guy some courtesy... sit him down as an adult and tell him what's going on.. it really isn't that hard.. unless you're a hard ass self-righteous prick like Coughlin.

Sometimes all it takes is a simple explanation. Show the guy some courtesy... sit him down as an adult and tell him what's going on.. it really isn't that hard.. unless you're a hard ass self-righteous prick like Coughlin.

NAS we have no way of knowing but my guess was that they did not have a touchy, feelie, new age get together replete with audio tapes of croaking frogs and pattering waterfalls.

Based on Brandon's new found humility and new found commitment to the concept of team, my best guess is they explained what the financial implications of getting cut would be and forcefully suggested that he clean up his act or else.

his behavior the other night was disgraceful and entirely inexcusable. Period.