SportsWrath

Did the refs miss an Intentional Grunding call?

Treehugger

7 members have voted

1. 1. Was Barry robbed?

• Yes, it was Intentional Grounding
    • No, the ball was thrown out-of bounds.
    • No, there was a receiver just off screen

the rules for what constitutes intentional grunding changed a couple of years ago and by today's definition it wasn't grunding.

I don't like the new rule. it gives the QB an easy out.

I like "smashmouth" football.

What about 'smashmouth' grundling?

He got outside of the hasmarks I at first thought it was flag worthy but the first replay clearly showed he was 2 or more steps outside of the hashmarks.

He got outside the hash marks...but to avoid intentional ground he was supposed to get outside the pocket. I don't think he did. It was close though.

But the game wasn't close anyway.

I was thinking "maybe" on that play.

The Calvin Johnson call was the real travesty yesterday. That was clearly a TD, they can hide behind rule interpretation all they want.

Its not an 'interpretation', its a rule, written in black and white. Maybe its a stupid rule, but the bottom line is you've got to control the ball when you're going to ground. That play is on Calvin Johnson, not the refs...as a player, you've got to know the rules of the game.

Its a slightly more excusable version of that DeSean Jackson play where he spiked the ball just before he crossed the goal line.

Its not an 'interpretation', its a rule, written in black and white. Maybe its a stupid rule, but the bottom line is you've got to control the ball when you're going to ground. That play is on Calvin Johnson, not the refs...as a player, you've got to know the rules of the game.

Its a slightly more excusable version of that DeSean Jackson play where he spiked the ball just before he crossed the goal line.

didn't see it that way at all.

it is indeed a stupid rule and one that needs to be changed by next season...the dog shudders at the thought of a super bowl coming down to a similar play. he clearly had possession and control. end of story. but the rule is the rule, and one that makes little sense to the dog, unless someone can give the justification for it...

it is indeed a stupid rule and one that needs to be changed by next season...the dog shudders at the thought of a super bowl coming down to a similar play. he clearly had possession and control. end of story. but the rule is the rule, and one that makes little sense to the dog, unless someone can give the justification for it...

there was a similar play in the super bowl with the New Orleans receiver. Meacham I think. They called it a TD.

The Saints player on that play had possession prior to crossing the goal line. The second the ball crossed the goal line, it was a TD.

CJ did not complete the required display of possession. As a result, by rule, it was not a catch. He should have known the rule and yes, it was on him.

I do think however that there is somewhat of a discrepancy between the ball simply needing to break the plane of the goal line and the having to maintain possession all the way to the ground. Once caught with two feet down, I think it should be a TD.

At the end of the day though, if a receiver simply makes it a point to hand the damn ball back to the ref rather than flip it, spike it, or whatever, it wouldn't be a question.

As either Moose or Goose was saying yesterday about the Umenyiora roughing penalty, "Why even put yourself in that position?" Sure it WASN'T roughing, but there was no reason to even lay a hand on the QB, regardless of how gently.

Same exact thing applies for Calvin Johnson. Hold on to the ball before you start the showboating and you win the game.

At the end of the day though, if a receiver simply makes it a point to hand the damn ball back to the ref rather than flip it, spike it, or whatever, it wouldn't be a question.

:clap:

Beat me to it. If I am his coach I'd make him give the football to me after every catch in practice.

Oh sure, before this rule we had a possession rule that was arguably even sillier. In the case of CJ, he was obviously putting the ball on the ground of his own free will...but pretend for a moment that the defensive back drilled him just as he caught the ball, and although CJ appears to have possession as his knee touches the ground, the ball comes loose as the hit drives him to the turf. Thats not a reception to my eyes, but once upon a time it could have been.

We can't have rules that require the ref to make a quality judgement. Bottom line, if you're a professional receiver, under no circumstances do you let that ball touch the ground, ever....you play smart and hand the ball to the ref when the play is over. If Calvin Johnson is a professional on that play, the Lions win the game and the "silly" rule is a non-issue.