SportsWrath

cut Jay Alford and keep Rocky Bernard?

JackStroud

from garafolo and the star ledger:

Alford appeared to be on his way to a breakout season in 2009, but was sidelined by a torn knee ligament suffered in the second preseason game. The injury left Alford "depressed" and, when he returned to the field, a shell of his former self. The quick step he showed throughout camp last year was gone as he struggled to return to form.

Alford said recently his knee started to respond when he tested it fully for the first time. But with four players at his position in Chris Canty, Barry Cofield, Rocky Bernard and Linval Joseph, the Giants simply didn't have the roster space to wait for his full recovery.

I was rooting for Alford to make the team but I think it came down to him or Tollefson. Tollefson just gives us better flexibility in the roster.

And as been pointed out by Tree in another thread, Bernard played himself onto the roster with stellar play all preseason. He looks as if he's back to form, all healed, and hungry to prove himself. We all loved Alford, but he's not the same guy he was a year or two ago and the position had to go to the players who proved themselves in camp and in preseason regardless of sentiments.

Bernard greatly out played Alford this pre-season against 1st and 2nd string players, it's apparent Alford is going to take another year to atleast get back to normal with his knee and who knows if is going to get any better then that.

Let's not forget what Alford was though, he was a pass rushing DT who from time to time made the occasional tackle. When your only major attribute to your play is being able to push the pocket and get to the QB and it's obvious that you are not able to do that at least for this year and potential years to come, it's time to move on. Cofield is a proven DT and run stopper and has done nothing but been a solid and better DT then Alford at this point in their careers. Canty and Bernard both have shown that when they are health they can get what needs to be done and even Bernard himself had a couple sacks against the Pats. Joseph has done nothing but impress when on the field as well and as the season goes on and he gets more and more game time he will be a good player as well.

Alford was a roster tragedy, we have four really good and HEALTHY DTs who can get the job done. Alford will end up on some other team but it will take a couple years before he is even back to starting form.

Bernard greatly out played Alford this pre-season against 1st and 2nd string players, it's apparent Alford is going to take another year to atleast get back to normal with his knee and who knows if is going to get any better then that.

Let's not forget what Alford was though, he was a pass rushing DT who from time to time made the occasional tackle. When your only major attribute to your play is being able to push the pocket and get to the QB and it's obvious that you are not able to do that at least for this year and potential years to come, it's time to move on. Cofield is a proven DT and run stopper and has done nothing but been a solid and better DT then Alford at this point in their careers. Canty and Bernard both have shown that when they are health they can get what needs to be done and even Bernard himself had a couple sacks against the Pats. Joseph has done nothing but impress when on the field as well and as the season goes on and he gets more and more game time he will be a good player as well.

Alford was a roster tragedy, we have four really good and HEALTHY DTs who can get the job done. Alford will end up on some other team but it will take a couple years before he is even back to starting form.

Insofar as one of the DTs had to go, I see your point.

My only issue is whether or not we could have found space on the roster for the guy. Personally, I think Alford had higher upside than Gerris Wilkinson, for example. Given that Tollefson and Kiwi are both able to play LB, we could have made some room there. And it appeared that Alford was coming back into form.

Either way, what's done is done.....it was a deep position, and the guy wasn't back at 100%, and it's a business.

Wouldn't be suprised to see the Raiders take a flyer on him.

Insofar as one of the DTs had to go, I see your point.

My only issue is whether or not we could have found space on the roster for the guy. Personally, I think Alford had higher upside than Gerris Wilkinson, for example. Given that Tollefson and Kiwi are both able to play LB, we could have made some room there. And it appeared that Alford was coming back into form.

Either way, what's done is done.....it was a deep position, and the guy wasn't back at 100%, and it's a business.

Wouldn't be suprised to see the Raiders take a flyer on him.

If thats the only team that gives Alford a chance, we'll know the Giants made the right choice.

What a relief

I've been waiting for an informed response whewwwwwwww

SO what your saying (more or less) is that a useless POS who played like SHIX all last season...........outplayed (and I must have missed this part) ...........a Rookie Super Bowl HERO in the Fnnnn Pre-Season soooooooooooooooooooooooo Coughy and Reesespieces showed the young SB FNNNNNNN HERO the door just like those two knotheads did to the Ultimate Warrior and SB HERO- David Tyree (which after THAT happened) I predicted would doom us for 10 FNNNNN Years for that little item.

Thanks for the enlightnment from the land of Frozen Brains

LOL :smartass:

PS- Who was that guy who played TE for Lombardi that never showed up until the games were important- Max McGee

Pre-season stats are for suckers

So instead of trying to state your own opinion with facts and any sense of a football knowledge, you try to insult me.

You ever wonder why everyone on here calls you a troll? :confused:

But here I'll bite on your attempt to insult me.

What a relief

Good to know you didnt bother to try an refute anyone elses posts, just mine and yet it was just with insults.

SO what your saying (more or less) is that a useless POS who played like SHIX all last season...........outplayed (and I must have missed this part) ...........a Rookie Super Bowl HERO in the Fnnnn Pre-Season

I think what your saying more or less you didnt bother to watch any Giants games last season because if you did you would realize that Alford didnt even play last season, so yes he was "outplayed" as you put it by Bernard.

soooooooooooooooooooooooo Coughy and Reesespieces showed the young SB FNNNNNNN HERO the door just like those two knotheads did to the Ultimate Warrior and SB HERO- David Tyree (which after THAT happened) I predicted would doom us for 10 FNNNNN Years for that little item.

Just one question, what has Tyree done since being released by the Giants? :confused:

LOL :smartass:

No problem, glad to know you couldnt think of any other reason why Alford was released outside of all the obvious reasons and you needed Canadian to help show you how the NFL works.

What a relief

SO what your saying (more or less) is that a useless POS who played like SHIX all last season...........outplayed (and I must have missed this part) ...........a Rookie Super Bowl HERO in the Fnnnn Pre-Season soooooooooooooooooooooooo Coughy and Reesespieces showed the young SB FNNNNNNN HERO the door just like those two knotheads did to the Ultimate Warrior and SB HERO- David Tyree (which after THAT happened) I predicted would doom us for 10 FNNNNN Years for that little item.

laugh.gif

dont be so sensitive

canadians are good people but suffer from a bit of an inferiority complex......misplaced btw were no great shakes down here ......just the loudest barrel

understandable you would fail see my humor :smartass:

So instead of trying to state your own opinion with facts and any sense of a football knowledge, you try to insult me.

You ever wonder why everyone on here calls you a troll? :confused:

But here I'll bite on your attempt to insult me.

Good to know you didnt bother to try an refute anyone elses posts, just mine and yet it was just with insults.

I think what your saying more or less you didnt bother to watch any Giants games last season because if you did you would realize that Alford didnt even play last season, so yes he was "outplayed" as you put it by Bernard.

Just one question, what has Tyree done since being released by the Giants? :confused:

No problem, glad to know you couldnt think of any other reason why Alford was released outside of all the obvious reasons and you needed Canadian to help show you how the NFL works.

also i did not even mention alfords performance last year he was on IR

but Rocky Bernard reminded me of Rocky Thompson with lead boots

I hope they bring jay back unless he pissed on coughlins dog or something

Alford makes a habit of breaking through the middle and flattening QBs

I'm yet to see Rocky do much of anything......hes like an Antonio Pierce at DT

He joins former giants d-line coach mike waufle.

i wish him luck, and ill always remember:

2e3abzs.gif

This will go down in Giants history as their biggest brain fahrt since they drafted Rocky Thompson

mark my words.....this kid was going to go all pro with us when he recovered

This will go down in Giants history as their biggest brain fahrt since they drafted Rocky Thompson

mark my words.....this kid was going to go all pro with us when he recovered

well i think this right here makes it official, giants made the right move.