SportsWrath

Coughlin and Jacobs

Lughead

From reading the article, a little communication goes a very long way. A coach should invite the player into his office for an adult conversation.. and coughlin shows none of that.

A player has to prove himself to the coach.....not the other way around. Football is a team sport and just because a guy makes millions of dollars a year and is one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL does not mean he doesn't have to earn his starting spot. Jacobs problem had nothing to do with coaches not setting him down and explaining what they expect of him or that they were disappointed in his play. Coaches talk to their players all the time and a lot of the time it's loud, harsh criticism....welcome to the real world of sports.

Jacobs' problem was about not getting enough carries in preseason and also that he was outplayed and lost the glamour of being the number 1 back after Bradshaw proved he can move the chains. But he can earn it back, but just because he did very well 2 years ago doesn't mean that he doesn't have to beat out the competition every year thereafter and Bradshaw is tough competition.....a very good problem for the Giants.

Besides.....Jacobs is backpeddling a hundred miles an hour on his negative outburst the other day. He's had an entirely different change of heart since that rant. Here's the link: (link)

If you don't bother reading the story on the link....Jacobs explains that his comments were about "not getting any carries in the preseason game against New England and NOTHING ELSE...here's a couple of lines:

"After a chat with Coughlin on Friday, Jacobs said he has a better idea of the team’s plans for him moving forward" (hence, Coughlin has talked with him)

"he said he has no qualms about his role in the Giants’ offense"

Coughlin addresses the issue: " 'Brandon didn’t get the number of snaps that was intended for him (against New England),' coach Tom Coughlin said, 'but the end result of having him ready to go for the season is still in place.' ” (gives me the impression that the team wants Jacobs healthy and ready for the opening game - not a bad idea considering the health issues with Jacobs. Furthermore...it doesn't hurt that Jacobs gets a fire put under his butt to start carrying the ball like the biggest RB in the NFL rather than dancin around like a Nancy)

From reading the article, a little communication goes a very long way. A coach should invite the player into his office for an adult conversation.. and coughlin shows none of that.

See and this is what I think is complete B.S. as well. Players sit threw meetings almost ever day in the pre-season and training camp with the position coach, offensive coordinator and the head coach. You can't tell me that as training camp went on and watching practice and game footage you can't tell me that Jacobs didnt see this coming. Not only that but you cant tell me that at one point in time be it the RB coach, Gilly or Coughlin didn't sit down and atleast tell them the direction they were heading in 2010.

Read this article here: Linky

Here's the first few sentences from the article.

ALBANY — If someone beamed into Giants training camp with no knowledge of what went on before, one of the absolutes based on the evidence on the field would be this:

Ahmad Bradshaw is the starting running back.

The first play of virtually every team period begins with a handoff to Bradshaw. When counting up the rushing attempts, Bradshaw probably has three times as many as Brandon Jacobs, who it is generally assumed is the No. 1 running back.

This cannot be explained away as merely keeping Jacobs fresh because he’s coming off knee surgery. Bradshaw is coming off three separate surgeries, as screws were inserted to stabilize the fifth metatarsal bones on the outside of both feet and bone spurs were removed from his right ankle.

This was put up on August 8th and it states what we have known all along in training camp and so on, is that Bradshaw all throughout camp has been getting the work load and running with the #1s.

Jacobs knew he was getting put down a spot on the roster chart, he's just being a bitch about what happened and thinks his "earned the right" to be pampered into the roster change. For a guy that's pulling 15 million a year for being the #2 RB on a football team I would shut my mouth Jacobs before it costs you more then your starting position.

This is really much ado about nothing. No matter who 'starts,' the other rb is going to get plenty of carries this season. It's like tne Osi/Kiwi bs earlier this offseason. These guys need to just temper the egos and get tneir heads straight for the season, or this is going to be 2006 all over again.

Well, Coughlin attempted to clean up the situation. According to New York Daily News' Ralph Vacchiano, Coughlin dodged a question about confronting Jacobs directly about becoming second string. Jacobs' truth is the coaches never told him anything. Coughlin responded, “I’m not sure of all of that.”

That little bit right there pretty much says it all. Coughlin didn't sit down and let Jacobs know that Bradshaw would be the starter this season. Maybe Coughlin wanted Gilbride to do it or Jerald Ingram to do it. Should Coughlin sitdown with his players and let them know why? Absolutely.

the coach shouldnt have to sit him down and say that to him. when bradshaw is running with the 1's and jacobs with the 2's it becomes obvious.

the dog will disagree. it is about respecting the people you work with. take ten minutes, call him in and tell him the situation. otherwise, well, you create this situation...days of media attention and team issues over a virtually irrelevant player being demoted for legit reasons a few days before when the focus should be on the opening game. jacobs has been exposed for what he is on and off the field, but every player deserves the 10 minute conversation regarding a demotion, no matter how obvious the reason may be...

This is really much ado about nothing. No matter who 'starts,' the other rb is going to get plenty of carries this season. It's like tne Osi/Kiwi bs earlier this offseason. These guys need to just temper the egos and get tneir heads straight for the season, or this is going to be 2006 all over again.

I wonder how much is ego, and how much is based on contract incentives.