SportsWrath

Giants Have Traded For Sage Rosenfels

Mr. P

Ok, you now get to do the happy dance. I am more happy about Reynaud than I am about Rosenfels. I would've been fine with Bomar as a back up, but that has a lot to do with my confidence in Eli's durability than anything else. Reynaud addresses a legitimate concern. Now the Giants, I would expect, will keep 3 QB's on the 53 man roster, so another position group will take a hit. I think Andre Brown's roster spot is in jeopardy too. I wish we could've traded for CB help.

yeah the Vikings traded Benny Sapp to MIami, he could of been nice nickelback and maybe we could of get him in this deal.

This is a guy who couldn't beat Tavaris Jackson for the starting QB role. I'd rather stick with Bomar.

Seriously, though, I think Rosenfels is an upgrade....he has NFL experience, and to me, that's a big deal for your 2nd stringer.

Hopefully, no more helicopter moves.

This is a guy who couldn't beat Tavaris Jackson for the starting QB role. I'd rather stick with Bomar.

Tree, I think Sage has beaten Jackson in the QB competition every time. This from ESPN.com's NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert:

Childress finally banishes Sage Rosenfels

The Minnesota Vikings traded away their only real insurance at the game's most important position Friday night, a reckless and vindictive move that indisputably weakened the team in order to avoid the appearance of impropriety on the depth chart.

Sage Rosenfels was traded even though he was Minnesota's best backup at quarterback.I haven't always praised Sage Rosenfels during his two year-career with the Vikings, but this preseason he proved to be the Vikings' only competent backup behind Brett Favre. He far outperformed Tarvaris Jackson, who apparently has a tenured position unaffected by his performance. What anyone wouldn't give for the kind of job security he has.

Let's be perfectly clear: Rosenfels was traded Friday night to the New York Giants because he beat out Jackson for the No. 2 job. As crazy as it sounds, that's what happened. The problem was that coach Brad Childress long ago chose Jackson as his No. 2 quarterback and still hasn't given up on his prospects as a long-term starter. Childress never embraced Rosenfels' acquisition in March 2009, a move orchestrated not by him but by vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman, and inexplicably banished him to the bottom of the depth chart.

Rosenfels hasn't always practiced well, but his 111.7 passer rating this preseason was more than twice that of Jackson. But no matter how sloppy and inaccurate Jackson was, nothing would change Childress' mind. He said last week that he had seen what he needed to see in practice, and my understanding is he made it clear within the organization that under no circumstances would Rosenfels make the final 53-man roster.

Instead, the Vikings seem poised to keep rookie Joe Webb as their No. 3. Webb showed flashes of elite athleticism during the preseason but is in no way capable of taking over an NFL team with playoff aspirations. It's fair to wonder the same about Jackson, but trading Rosenfels allowed the organization to get some level of return -- one draft pick in 2011 and perhaps a conditional pick in 2012 -- and eliminate the uncomfortable dynamic of an upside-down depth chart.

Favre hasn't missed a start in 19 years, so much of this conversation could be moot. But trading away players because they outperformed underachieving (but favored) incumbents is no way to build a team. At least, not in my book.

Note: Surprisingly, the trade also sent kick returner/running back Darius Reynaud to the Giants. I wonder if that means Percy Harvin will resume his role as a kickoff returner. I have no idea who will return punts, although cornerback Asher Allen did get some work there in the preseason.

I feel a lot more confident in Sage than Rhett, although I was excited about Rhett's potential. Hopefully he can clear waivers. Sage actually throws a nice ball.

Tree, I think Sage has beaten Jackson in the QB competition every time. This from ESPN.com's NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert:

I feel a lot more confident in Sage than Rhett, although I was excited about Rhett's potential. Hopefully he can clear waivers. Sage actually throws a nice ball.

That posting from ESPN is very interesting. Maybe the Giants got a steal because of the disharmony in the front office of the Vikings.

I liked Bomar's attitude. His one flaw that I saw, was that he tended to throw the ball sidearmed and because of it, his passes were knocked down a few times. That was the flaw that Philip Rivers used to have that it took a couple years to work it out of him. Unless you are over 7' tall, you can't throw sidearmed without it costing you.

I really hope Bomar clears waivers and we get him back on the practice squad.

I was reading this morning's news and it said that the Giants were actively trying to trade Dave Tolleson and Guy Whimper, but couldn't get any takers. My bet is that they were shopping for a CB, but truth is...I don't know as the Giants won't discuss what they were up to.

Here's a pretty good article and I cherry picked a few blogger comments at the end:

Vikings take a huge risk by trading Sage

Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2010 9:40 PM ET

With quarterback Sage Rosenfels being frozen out in the offseason and showcased in the preseason, the message to the other 31 NFL teams was clear: Sage is available.

And now that the Vikings have traded the guy who was brought in last year to compete with Tarvaris Jackson before Brett Favre showed up and sent both of them to the bench, we need to ask one question.

What the hell are the Vikings thinking?

Favre has a bull's-eye painted on every body part, and if (when) something on Favre shatters, the Vikings will need a veteran backup to Tarvaris Jackson. They won't have one.

Instead, the guy one snap away from becoming the quarterback will be Joe Webb, a rookie who was drafted to be a receiver and converted back to the position he played in college. We love the guy; he's got the vertical burst of Mike Vick but Webb is tall enough to see his receivers without rolling out of the pocket. But he isn't ready to play, and he most likely won't be ready in 2010.

By sending Sage (and, as it turns out, running back Darius Reynaud, per Vikings.com) to the Giants for an undisclosed 2011 draft pick and a conditional pick in 2012, the Vikings are continuing to push whatever chips they have left into the center of the table for one final Favre-fueled run at a Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, the Vikings will see Sage again. He'll return with his new team to the Metrodome on December 12. And we've got a feeling that he'll be spilling his guts about everything he knows regarding the team with which he spent more than a year -- but for which he never played.

======================================================================================

Any indication that this move is to free up some cash to allow Minnesota to pursue TJ Housh?

-----------------------

dumb, dumb, dumb, he is way more valuable then tjack, dumb, dumb, dumb

------------------------

This trade was total crap for the Vikings. We gave away our only decent backup QB in Sage and a playmaker in Reynaud.

Childress is going to follow TJ to the unemployment line at the end of the year if Favre gets hurt.

-------------------------

I'm happy for Sage. It has to be nauseating to be around Favre and the diva act day in and day out.

Vikes aren't winning anything so he's not losing out by this move to NY.

--------------------------

Tarvaris Jackson would not be on the roster of 31 other teams. LOL!!

Or, could this be the vikings getting ready to sign a newly released Matt Lienert. Lienert would be a step up over tavaris jackson... and may be a long time solution.

yea- i said it...

Tarvaris is going to play a lot better when he doesn't have to think about the possibility of Sage taking his position.

The bigger story is the trade for Reynaud! Short-term this could really hurt the team, unless of course, my instincts are wrong and another trade is in the works.

If a trade is not in the works, it is obvious what happened: Giants did not want Sage and his "starting" salary, so they demanded Reynaud as additional compensation.

We needed a return man badly. Reynaud is more important to us than Sage

As a vikes fan i'm not at all excited about this trade. I loved Reynaud, he had some play making ability. In return we don't get any immediate help for this season. I wonder if the vikes are done making any moves via trades.

---------------------------

I think this is one of the dumbest moves we have made this offseason, aside from the fact that we haven't fixed holes in the offensive line. We refuse to add depth at Center and Guard. We could have gone after Logan Mankins or the LT McNeil from the Chargers, instead we trade away an above average PR and a quality backup for a 2011 pick?! Are you kidding me? I want to see Childress' explanation for this one come Saturday...

What if Manning went down in Indy?"

I'd be very happy, that's what

----------------------------

hopefully he went to a team that really wants him. Sounds like a win, win for him

I think my statement remains true; he was listed below Jackson on the depth chart despite this guy thinking it should have been the other way 'round. I don't deny he's better than Jackson, who is completely shit, but he never cemented himself as starter over him.

I think my statement remains true; he was listed below Jackson on the depth chart despite this guy thinking it should have been the other way 'round. I don't deny he's better than Jackson, who is completely shit, but he never cemented himself as starter over him.

I respect your opinion, Tree, but I've seen Sage play and I've seen Tavaris play. The Vikings traded away the better quarterback, and the numbers reflect that Sage ouplayed Jackson as well. I don't mind this trade at all. Sage has started and won games in the NFL, and he has a good arm. We are a better team THIS year with Rosenfels behind Manning than we would've been with Bomar.... so I like the trade. But the only effect this trade will have on us in actual games is the fact that Reynaud will be our KR/PR. That was a major worry since Hixon was injured and they finally addressed that in a way that I feel is more than adequate.