SportsWrath

Giants Have Traded For Sage Rosenfels

Mr. P

Matt Leinart may not want to be a backup in New York (or anywhere else), but Sage Rosenfels will gladly take a ticket out of Minnesota.

Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com reports that Rosenfels is headed to the Giants to be Eli Manning's backup quarterback. Compensation is unclear.

This knocks Rhett Bomar to third string. We thought Bomar generally handled himself well in the preseason, but Tom Coughlin is used to having more experience in the backup spot.

With Rosenfels in New York, Joe Webb should safely make the Vikings roster as the team's No. 3 quarterback behind Brett Favre and Tarvaris Jackson. Webb is the only Vikings quarterback that has a contract past 2010.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/03/report-sage-rosenfels-traded-to-giants/

JasonLaCanfora

Just to be clear on that last tweet - Sage to G-men for a conditional future draft pick, singular. Not picks. Sorry.

Adam_Schefter

RT @espn_nfcnblog: Vikings website reports Sage Rosenfels deal sends Darius Reynaud to Giants. Vikes get 2011 pick + conditional one in '12.

giantswfan

RB (converted WR) Darius Reynaud a solid kick returner who was stuck behind Harvin in Minny.

and its for a 2011 5th rounder and a 2012 conditional, i dont know the conditions yet.

5th next year AND a conditional? Pretty steep. The return guy better be good.

I loved this pickup till I found out it cost us a 5th. At the same time... would we find a backup QB of Rosenfels' calibur in the fifth round of next year's draft? You'll get your Tom Bradys here and there but it's not likely... this was an OK, but not great deal. I'll call it "solid."

I loved this pickup till I found out it cost us a 5th. At the same time... would we find a backup QB of Rosenfels' calibur in the fifth round of next year's draft? You'll get your Tom Bradys here and there but it's not likely... this was an OK, but not great deal. I'll call it "solid."

Yeah it's not like a 5th and more then likely that conditional will be a 7th round pick are anything of value, especially when you have guys like Cofield, Alford, ect who can have some trade value to other teams.

Plus lets not forget Sorgi is only signed on for one year, he's gone after this year unless we resign him, Sage will be with us for at least another three years.

And we also got a somewhat proven KR/PR out of the mix.

i told you dirty bastards that we would get a vet qb.

Ok, you now get to do the happy dance. I am more happy about Reynaud than I am about Rosenfels. I would've been fine with Bomar as a back up, but that has a lot to do with my confidence in Eli's durability than anything else. Reynaud addresses a legitimate concern. Now the Giants, I would expect, will keep 3 QB's on the 53 man roster, so another position group will take a hit. I think Andre Brown's roster spot is in jeopardy too. I wish we could've traded for CB help.

Ok, you now get to do the happy dance. I am more happy about Reynaud than I am about Rosenfels. I would've been fine with Bomar as a back up, but that has a lot to do with my confidence in Eli's durability than anything else. Reynaud addresses a legitimate concern. Now the Giants, I would expect, will keep 3 QB's on the 53 man roster, so another position group will take a hit. I think Andre Brown's roster spot is in jeopardy too. I wish we could've traded for CB help.

My thought exactly. I'd love to see us pick up a solid CB before the season begins. I have a feeling this position will be the weak link in the chain.

pretty solid move. Addressed 2 needs in one trade.

I agree with Seph that a 5th might have been a bit high but we might be able to get it back in another trade between now and then.

Reese has shown himself to be a good grinder as GM. The Bulluck and Andrews signings where both great low risk, high reward gambles and again he seems to have done well here by getting the additional return man with Rosenthal.

white-kid-dance-club.gif

i dont think bomar gets cut, im not even sure we risk him on the practice squad, i think we do 3qbs on the roster.

Who else are you thinking gets cut to make room then? I can't think of any other expendable player. Hagan?

Wasn't Bomar on the PS last year? You can't put guys there 2 years in a row.

Who else are you thinking gets cut to make room then? I can't think of any other expendable player. Hagan?

TheBlueScreen

Not confirmed, but one source says #NYG plans to keep all three QBs. So no, Eli won't be cut. ... Rhett Bomar is safe, too.

Are you sure about that? It seems we've kept a couple of guys on the PS longer than one year. I'd have to go back and check, but I think it's not that uncommon.

Are you sure about that? It seems we've kept a couple of guys on the PS longer than one year. I'd have to go back and check, but I think it's not that uncommon.

I'm wrong, looks like the other page I looked up was incorrect:

a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve list.) If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad[1].

SO yeah, they could PS him and Pascoe (if he clears waivers).