SportsWrath

Final 53 man roster prediction

Allstarjim

Here was my "first draft", changes in red:

OFFENSE – (25)

QB – (2) Eli Manning, Rhett Bomar (Sorgi on PUP IR)

RB – (4) Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Danny Ware, Andre Brown

FB - (1) Madison Hedgecock

WR – (6) Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan, Victor Cruz

TE – (3) Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

OL – (9) Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, David Diehl, Chris Snee, Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Shawn Andrews, Mitch Petrus, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets

Andrew's emergence, Beatty's development, and Petrus' promise all add up to Whimper being expendable. I'm 50-50 on this one, too, though. I once thought Koets was safe due to him being O'Hara's backup at center, but Seubert has gotten snaps there this preseason. This one could easily be Koets.

DEFENSE – (25)

DE – (5) Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson

DT – (5) Chris Canty, Barry Coefield, Jay Alford, Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard

Only change here is that I have flip-flopped on Rocky Bernard. I believe Bernard has played his way onto this roster. However, I do not know the salary ramifications of cutting him. Fact his, is he will be a very well paid back up DT. Maybe too well paid, and a trade here wouldn't surprise me, nor him being cut either.

LB – (7) Michael Boley, Keith Bulluck, Clint Sintim, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn, Gerris Wilkinson, Phillip Dillard

Cut - Bryan Kehl. Only so many spots, and while Kehl maybe the better defensive player, Wilkinson has performed on special teams, and that is why he stays and Kehl goes. This one is very close, though. Could the Giants sneak Dillard on the practice squad? I think they may try and risk losing him.

CB – (4) Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Bruce Johnson

I'm not comfortable with this prediction. But I'm going to sit pat with it. I think the Giants would love to have a 5th CB, maybe via trade... but I think at this point there are better football players that need to stay over Courtney Brown.

S – (4) Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Michael Johnson

SPECIAL TEAMS – (3)

K – Lawrence Tynes

P – Matt Dodge

LS - Zack DeOssie

Only change here is that DeOssie is now being listed where he belongs, as a STer, he's no longer a linebacker.

There it is. I still think a trade or even two is very possible, but this is my best guess as to what will happen tomorrow.

its probably less a prediction than it is what i would do if i was the headcoach.

I here ya. Ross' injury gives me pause, too. But I think they will either make a trade for another db or pick up a free agent. Rolle can also play down at the nickel, as well, so we could also see 3 safeties on the field to mitigate Ross' injury. But when it comes down to it I just don't think Brown or DJ are good enough to make the team.

For the record, here are my cuts:

Dom Randolph

Jerome Johnson

Gartrell Johnson

Duke Calhoun - PS

Tim Brown

Scott Chandler

Jim Cordle

Dennis Landolt

Herb Taylor

Guy Whimper

Alex Hall

Tommie Hill - PS

Nate Collins

Dwayne Hendricks

Bryan Kehl

Courtney Brown

DJ Johnson

John Busing

Matt O'Hanlon

Sha'reff Rashad - PS

Seth Williams

Jacob Bender

PUP - Kevin Boothe

I here ya. Ross' injury gives me pause, too. But I think they will either make a trade for another db or pick up a free agent. Rolle can also play down at the nickel, as well, so we could also see 3 safeties on the field to mitigate Ross' injury. But when it comes down to it I just don't think Brown or DJ are good enough to make the team.

For the record, here are my cuts:

Dom Randolph

Jerome Johnson

Gartrell Johnson

Duke Calhoun - PS

Tim Brown

Scott Chandler

Jim Cordle

Dennis Landolt

Herb Taylor

Guy Whimper

Alex Hall

Tommie Hill - PS

Nate Collins

Dwayne Hendricks

Bryan Kehl

Courtney Brown

DJ Johnson

John Busing

Matt O'Hanlon

Sha'reff Rashad - PS

Seth Williams

Jacob Bender

PUP - Kevin Boothe

Pretty much concur

I think Kehl (if he gets cut at all) would go to the Practice Squad over Tommie Hill. We are just too set for DE's to keep another one on the PS. Also, they might not even bother to put Calhoun on the PS because he'll be picked up by another team almost immediately. I suspect Spags has already called Coughlin to see if he can have either Calhoun or Cruz because St. Louis is in so much need for WR's.

I agree with Rashad.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kehl, Rashad, and Boothe were on the final PS, but it wouldn't surprise me if Whimper is as well in place of one of the other 3. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

I don't think Kehl can be put on the practice squad after serving on the regular roster last year but I may be wrong.

Practice Squad Eligibility

# According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

Read more: NFL Practice Squad Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_4793705_nfl-practice-squad-rules.html#ixzz0yUWpCbFl

Coughlin tipping his hand?

In this ESPN.com article, titled, Tom Coughlin talks to Brandon Jacobs" by Ohm Youngmisuk, when speaking of the running back by committee the coaching staff would like to employ this year, Coughlin says this: "We are looking forward to the opportunity to play with our multiple running game and with our ability to use our power back," Coughlin said. "Along with the combination of Ahmad and with Ware, we are looking forward to that. At this point in time, I do feel good about our ability to use multiple people at that spot. As you well know, over 16 games, you are going to need that."

Notice someone's name missing? I can't imagine Andre Brown not making this roster, but thought it interesting he wasn't mentioned here. Maybe I'm looking into it too much?

With how Jacobs has been running and his price tag I could see us doing something with him, trade, release or even demoting him to a third down/short yardage back.

I think it is time to move on from Jacobs, we got acouple good years out of him and that's alot more then we should of with his type of running style.

Bradshaw, Ware and Gartelle(sp) Johnson have all impressed me this pre-season.

Jacobs and Wilk for a solid CB to fill in our lacking third CB position? Could be a possibility.

BiC - I think that clean air up there is going straight to your head, lol. I don't think it's time for Jacobs to go at all. And DEFINITELY not for Gartrell! I don't get where the love for Gartrell is coming from. Dude is a SCRUB. He's had a couple of moments.... but he also has fumblitis and doesn't exactly have the quicks. Man, B-Jac has one down year on a bad knee and people are turning on him already! Guy showed me something this preseason, he still has some speed. Here's a promise.... B-Jac is going to help us win some games this year... he is going to be a part of it!

BiC - I think that clean air up there is going straight to your head, lol. I don't think it's time for Jacobs to go at all. And DEFINITELY not for Gartrell! I don't get where the love for Gartrell is coming from. Dude is a SCRUB. He's had a couple of moments.... but he also has fumblitis and doesn't exactly have the quicks. Man, B-Jac has one down year on a bad knee and people are turning on him already! Guy showed me something this preseason, he still has some speed. Here's a promise.... B-Jac is going to help us win some games this year... he is going to be a part of it!

im still a big b-jac fan, i just want gartrell over ware.

ware and gartrell have shown me about the same, except ware is always getting hurt.

Yeah I just re-read what I posted and it came off like I wanted Jacobs gone.

What I meant to say is it's time to move on from Jacobs being our #1 guy, Bradshaw and even Ware has shown the ability to make more plays when their on the field. Jacobs is still a good RB but he's not the same running back we gave the job too when Tiki retired and that's attributed to his running style that helped us to our third SB championship.

I was just putting it out there that if the Giants did happen to trade/release the guy it wouldn't come as a big surprise to me anyways. We need another CB if Ross is going to be hurt and I'm pretty sure the package of Jacobs and Wilk for one would be a tempting offer.

Jacobs is a Giants and I'm glad he is, I just want to see Bradshaw get the majority of the carries.

Yeah I just re-read what I posted and it came off like I wanted Jacobs gone.

What I meant to say is it's time to move on from Jacobs being our #1 guy, Bradshaw and even Ware has shown the ability to make more plays when their on the field. Jacobs is still a good RB but he's not the same running back we gave the job too when Tiki retired and that's attributed to his running style that helped us to our third SB championship.

I was just putting it out there that if the Giants did happen to trade/release the guy it wouldn't come as a big surprise to me anyways. We need another CB if Ross is going to be hurt and I'm pretty sure the package of Jacobs and Wilk for one would be a tempting offer.

Jacobs is a Giants and I'm glad he is, I just want to see Bradshaw get the majority of the carries.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I'd still prefer Ware over Johnson. I also think we need CB help. I've been dismayed in the last couple of days seeing some deals go down. Philly acquired a CB I believe it was yesterday via trade, and Baltimore acquired Josh Wilson, via trade... that is a pretty darn good player right there.

Where were we on the Wilson trade? I think this team really needs another quality CB, but I just don't know if they will pull the trigger on anything. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade that involves Coefield, Bernard, Wilkinson, or Kehl. It's possible Spags could try to lure one of his old guys over to St Louis. We'll see how it plays out tomorrow.