SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs Miffed After Pats Game

Mr. P

amd_brandon-jacobs.jpg

NEW YORK -- Brandon Jacobs dressed quickly after the New York Giants' fourth preseason game, a 20-17 win over the Patriots in which the three-year starter didn't have a single carry.

A disappointed Jacobs, who watched his friend Ahmad Bradshaw line up as the official starting running back, said football was a brutal business.

"No question," Jacobs said. "To be in this business, you have to know that. No one's your friend in this business. This is a cutthroat, backstabbing business. That's just the way it goes. It's been like that before me. If you expect anything else out of a business like this, you're crazy."

In February 2009, Jacobs signed a four-year, $25 million extension with the Giants, with $13 million in guaranteed money. Last season wasn't what the Giants hoped to get out of their back, who had minor offseason surgery on his knee, and there was criticism that he was more tentative upon his return.

Jacobs said it's too early to ask for a trade. There isn't anything that can be done with the season about to start, and the situation could work itself out. In the meantime, he said he would work hard and stay ready for the moments when his number is called.

"It's almost hard to stay positive in a situation like this, but that's what I've got to do," Jacobs said.

Bradshaw admitted he has jumped Jacobs in the rotation, a fact fairly obvious but not said out loud until Thursday night.

"I am going to take it as it comes and as much as they give me, I got to take advantage of it," Bradshaw said. "They're giving me this job for a reason, and I think I have earned it so I am going to take advantage of it."

Earlier in training camp, running backs coach Jerald Ingram said the Giants would move away from a single-back system to more of a committee, but Bradshaw's statement indicates they simply shifted the workload. Jacobs said he has no idea what the plans are for him in the Giants' future.

"Nope, they don't talk to me about anything -- they do what they do," Jacobs said.

Jacobs said he thought getting the contract extension intensified the scrutiny last season.

"If I would have stayed making minimum, this wouldn't be a problem," Jacobs said. "Once you get paid, you're always in danger of running into problems like this. It doesn't matter who you are or what team or organization you play for, that's just the way it is."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5526263

I hope this plays the way as that hes angry and hes going to run angry and prove the giants wrong for demoting him. I've always been a fan of let jacobs pound the defense and wear them out then have the other guy come in and get chased around by the tired hurting defense. but you could argue that a fresh jacobs coming in pounding a tired defense could be just as effective.

I just hope this plays out the positive way.

amd_brandon-jacobs.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5526263

I hope this plays the way as that hes angry and hes going to run angry and prove the giants wrong for demoting him. I've always been a fan of let jacobs pound the defense and wear them out then have the other guy come in and get chased around by the tired hurting defense. but you could argue that a fresh jacobs coming in pounding a tired defense could be just as effective.

I just hope this plays out the positive way.

Agreed. I also think Jacobs would have looked good last night too, given the holes the OLine was opening up for all the RBs. I hope we see a 50/50 split between him and Bradshaw.

Brandon really just needs to STFU:

"If I would have stayed making minimum, this wouldn't be a problem," Jacobs said. "Once you get paid, you're always in danger of running into problems like this. It doesn't matter who you are or what team or organization you play for, that's just the way it is."

Really Brandon? You mean when you get a 12 odd million dollar a year raise they actually have the audacity to expect more from you??? Boo Hoo.

I don't see why we Jacob's needs a "fire lit under his ass" he's making what? 15 million in the first two years of his contract?

Does he really need to be demoted to the #2 back to get him back to his old running style? Seriously I've been saying this for awhile and that was after Tiki retired we were only to get a couple good years out of Jacobs before we needed to find a serious replacement at RB. His early years in the league and his running style doesn't allow him to be the #1 guy for all that many seasons.

In all honesty I think we have seen what the best Jacobs has to offer in his career and he should be happy that we haven't gone after that nice little paycheck he is getting week after week. Don't get me wrong I still think he is a good change of pace back + short yardage guy, but he is nothing like he was in his first couple of seasons starting.

Sorry Jacobs, it's time for the Giants to move on and the future is Bradshaw for now.

Understandable that he's unhappy but I find some of his language alarming, especially "backstabbing". Is that directed at his friend Bradshaw? the GM? Ingram? Coughlin? He's saying it's a business and not personal but I get the feeling he's taking this VERY personally. We've seen in the past that we're not talking about the most mature guy in the world here and this could easily get worse.

Bradshaw might just be the better back now. That's all. Marion Barber is going to find that out in Dallas this year also IMO.

If Marion Barber gets pissed in Dallas, I'd welcome him in over Jacobs any day.

Seriously though, Jacobs is being a bitch about this. He's okay in short yardage, not great. He's great at wearing down a defense because it does take more than one guy to bring him down. But I, too, am glad to see Bradshaw getting the start. Jacobs is fairly one dimensional. Straight runner for the most part. Bradshaw's receiving is far better than Jacobs IMO.

Trouble is, while he's "wearing them down" you're getting a lot of 1, 2 and 3 yard runs! How many 2nd and 8s do you want to look at? And I would disagree that it takes more than one guy to bring him down. Just brush him low and you trip him up! I thought it was a mistake when they panicked and gave him $25M for 5. If the new collective bargaining agreement allows us to walk away from his deal, I'd RUN!

If Marion Barber gets pissed in Dallas, I'd welcome him in over Jacobs any day.

Seriously though, Jacobs is being a bitch about this. He's okay in short yardage, not great. He's great at wearing down a defense because it does take more than one guy to bring him down. But I, too, am glad to see Bradshaw getting the start. Jacobs is fairly one dimensional. Straight runner for the most part. Bradshaw's receiving is far better than Jacobs IMO.

Nah, they were wearing Marion Barber out in Dallas, he wasn't as effective. Tashard Choice could be the guy to watch down there.

Brandon really just needs to STFU:

Really Brandon? You mean when you get a 12 odd million dollar a year raise they actually have the audacity to expect more from you??? Boo Hoo.

Exactly. When Brandon stops running like a girl, he can START running his mouth. Until then he needs to shut the fuck up and play... last year he ran like a 265-lb vagina.

Understandable that he's unhappy but I find some of his language alarming, especially "backstabbing". Is that directed at his friend Bradshaw? the GM? Ingram? Coughlin? He's saying it's a business and not personal but I get the feeling he's taking this VERY personally. We've seen in the past that we're not talking about the most mature guy in the world here and this could easily get worse.

Bradshaw is clearly the better back... sees the holes better, he's faster, more elusive, and... yes... a MUCH tougher runner. However, his bow-legged running style is going to see him missing a fair amount of games this season too. We need them both.

The thing about Jacobs is he will never be an dominant runner if he's not playing behind a dominant line. If they block like they did in '05-'08, we're going to want Jacobs out there. If its a repeat of the average line we saw in '09, Jacobs is a waste of time.

Neither is Bradshaw. He's hopeless between the tackles without a big hole opened up for him.

Exactly. When Brandon stops running like a girl, he can START running his mouth. Until then he needs to shut the fuck up and play... last year he ran like a 265-lb vagina.

Bradshaw is clearly the better back... sees the holes better, he's faster, more elusive, and... yes... a MUCH tougher runner. However, his bow-legged running style is going to see him missing a fair amount of games this season too. We need them both.

Exactly....I saw some of the plays that Bradshaw made when the blocking broke down and he often made something out of nothing. Jacobs has become increasingly more irritating since the Super Bowl year. The offenses answer to Osi... <_<

True dat.

I'm optimistic after Thursday though, I think we'll see a much improved run-blocking OLine this season and Brandon will have a much better yard/carry average.

i think tiki was strong up the middle because he was such a threat to bump it outside. plus he used to run that slant between the dline and the lb's where no one could get a hand on him. everyone was laying back in protect mode.

i think tiki was strong up the middle because he was such a threat to bump it outside. plus he used to run that slant between the dline and the lb's where no one could get a hand on him. everyone was laying back in protect mode.

Two things the Giants haven't been able to run since he left

1. That cutback run..Tiki was deadly with that run.

2. A decent fucking screen play.

Two things the Giants haven't been able to run since he left

1. That cutback run..Tiki was deadly with that run.

2. A decent fucking screen play.

This I think is the biggest thing we miss from Tiki, abit of misdirection.

He could take a shotgun screen with four defenders in the backfield and turn it into a 25 yard gain.