SportsWrath

Line Backers. Who makes it

hlb37

What did Goff do last night? Sounds like he did well, but I haven't seen any specifics.

A goal line stand was amazing. 1st and goal and the Pats took 4 shots at it - 2 shots from inside the 1 yard line. Goff stuffed the runner twice and last time in mid air and drove him back.

But all night long he was making big plays including a pick, 7 solo tackles, and 2 pass deflections. He looked exactly how a leader is supposed to look. Very confident with big hits and good decision making.

This from the NYPost.com (link)

In the middle, Goff looks like the answer

He speaks softly and carries a big stick. If there is one Giant who was born to worship at the altar of Talk Is Cheap, Play the Game, it is Jonathan Goff.

So it has been easy for Goff to get lost in the shuffle. He was a fifth-round draft choice out of Vanderbilt in 2008, and a veritable afterthought when the summer began and Big Blue Nation fretted over the hole in the middle of their defense.

Antonio Pierce (neck) had been forced to the sidelines last season and eventual retirement. Gritty Chase Blackburn wasn't the long-term answer. Philip Dillard, this spring's fourth-round pick out of Nebraska, was tough and willing, but he hardly reminded anyone of Patrick Willis. Or Pierce. Or Jessie Armstead. Or Harry Carson. Or Pepper Johnson. Or Sam Huff.

But then the football gods relented, and good ole Keith Bulluck arrived, and all was right with the Big Blue world. So what that Bulluck had played forever on the outside. He had street cred. He would be the man for the job.

It turns out that Goff is the man for the job.

When DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart come to the New Meadowlands Stadium a week from Sunday to try to run the ball down Big Blue's throat, the humble man who wears No. 54 will be standing defiantly in the middle of their ambition.

Goff, in a 20-17 victory over the Patriots, last night became the symbol for not slicing the number of preseason games in half when he intercepted a Brian Hoyer pass in the third quarter and was mobbed wildly by his euphoric teammates.

"I was man-to-man on the running back," Goff said, "and the D-line did a nice job of pressuring the quarterback and forced him to throw the ball I guess when he wasn't ready, and I was able to be there and then catch the ball."

It tells you something about the man when the guys in the arena with you are happy for your success.

"The team feeds off that kind of energy," Goff said. "It's cumulative, and it's contagious."

Bulluck and OLB Michael Boley joked with Goff about catching the ball.

"It's just an inside joke in the linebacker corps," Goff said.

Here it comes.

"We voted Jon some of the worst hands in the linebacker room," Bulluck said, and smiled.

A short while later, second-and-goal for the Patriots, Goff stuffed running back Thomas Clayton for no gain at the one. Then he and Bryan Kehl combined to stop Clayton in his tracks again at the 1. Kehl and Jason Pierre Paul finished the job on BenJarvus Green-Ellis on fourth down.

"That was a great showing, outstanding showing of toughness," Goff said. "We played physical, we played downhill, 'cause they tried to run the ball four times, and we kept 'em out."

Goff was getting this chance because Bulluck was quickly moved back to his more comfortable position because Clint Sintim could not seize his moment. All Wally Pipp wanted was a chance, right?

Goff, a 236-pound brain who makes the calls and has a degree in mechanical engineering, was asked if he can be the middle linebacker for this team.

"I believe so," he said. "I'm confident in my own ability. I've been studying, I've been learning the defense, taking it in. We're doing a great job as far as jelling and becoming one unit, everybody getting on the same page all the time, play after play, down after down."

Most importantly, his peers believe in him.

"I didn't really understand why they needed a middle linebacker because I thought Jon fit the mold," Bulluck said. "I was just here doing what I was asked to do, and he's a guy that always worked at his craft since I've been here and continued to get better. He asks questions, he's open to constructive criticism. He has everything that it takes to be a solid professional in this league."

Did he cement the starting job?

"I'm pretty sure he did," Bulluck said. "I don't see why not. He's a third-year player and he's only gonna get better like I said."

"We're putting a lot of pressure on him, and he's gonna definitely have to answer," Antrel Rolle said.

"And he answered tonight."

Goff used to date the athletic trainer at my college.

Pics? :banana:

BTW, GREAT article, Bleedin'. Thanks for posting. If he is good enough to move Bulluck to the outside and Sintim to the bench, then I have a lot of optimism. He also got a ringing endorsement from Bulluck in the article, which to me, says a tremendous amount coming from a guy who has been so successful in the NFL for so long.