SportsWrath

Giants Ravens

so-cal dub

So, I guess I should bother to watch the DVR???

If you want to be extremely frustrated that with the talent we have there now, the defense still hasn't been put in the right position to make plays...or maybe the talent just really isn't there (our linebackers are doing absolutely terrible...and aside from Corey Webster, who was covering old ass Derek Mason....the secondary looks just as bad as last year...garbage....they cannot get off the field, even on third and long) and the offense has some major kinks to work out...

That being said, Baltimore looks like they are going to be a contender and they played extremely well...I was impressed by Flacco's poise...and they didn't even run the ball. We knew the pass was coming nearly every down and still couldn't stop it.

Did you see the one where everyone including the Ravens' cheerleaders were waiting for the Giants receiver on one Third and mid range. :laugh::jerkoff:

It's gotten to the point where we might as well just slink off the field on 3rd and 5 before the balls even snapped. Everyone knows the WR screen to Nicks or Manningham is coming. What does Gilbride not get about the necessity to call plays that go PASSED the first down marker on 3rd down....if it's 3rd and 5, send your receivers out 6+ yards! And I would LOVE to see us at least try the WR slant. Baltimore tore us up all game with the simple slant route. It works and all you need is timing.

It's gotten to the point where we might as well just slink off the field on 3rd and 5 before the balls even snapped. Everyone knows the WR screen to Nicks or Manningham is coming. What does Gilbride not get about the necessity to call plays that go PASSED the first down marker on 3rd down....if it's 3rd and 5, send your receivers out 6+ yards! And I would LOVE to see us at least try the WR slant. Baltimore tore us up all game with the simple slant route. It works and all you need is timing.

WR slants work best when you have a deep threat- someone like say, i don't know..... marshall?

otherwise the safety jumps the route and takes it to the hizzy. cool.gif

WR slants work best when you have a deep threat- someone like say, i don't know..... marshall?

otherwise the safety jumps the route and takes it to the hizzy. cool.gif

Neither Boldin nor Mason have the speed to be considered deep threats, and we got beat nonstop on the slants. Hakim Nicks is a better deep threat than either of them....

It's not like the Ravens had their best secondary out there...they're plagued by injuries on that level, too...

i didn't see the game- but i know last year as the season went on, guys were jumping that slant route to nicks.

It's preseason, he's not gonna give his whole scheme away in meaningless games. We're not the Jets.

I agree...but the LB's looked weak as usual. Lets hope its just a preseason thing of hiding the playbook. One thing I have noticed about AFC teams is that they play the preseason like its the playoffs.

It's preseason, he's not gonna give his whole scheme away in meaningless games. We're not the Jets.

It's the third preseason game, the game that you actually do use to get your guys up to game speed and familiar with running actual plays/schemes that you're going to use throughout the season. Not all of them, you don't fully show your hand, but you get these guys their defensive and offensive reps. They aren't going to play the 4th preseason game.

For a team that has Mel Hein, Sam Huff, Brad Van Pelt, Brian Kelley, Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Gary Reasons, Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, Jessie Armstead in the rich history of the New York Football Giants.....

OUR LINEBACKERS FUCKING SUCK. Good lord..I could have caught passes in the middle of the field last night.

For a team that has Mel Hein, Sam Huff, Brad Van Pelt, Brian Kelley, Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Gary Reasons, Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, Jessie Armstead in the rich history of the New York Football Giants.....

OUR LINEBACKERS FUCKING SUCK. Good lord..I could have caught passes in the middle of the field last night.

yeah the TE's have been kicking our ass both Heath Miller and Todd Heap, we have Witten,Celek and Cooley in the division they will be licking their chops, I know just preseason but shit, and oh yeah outside the division we have Clark,Pettigrew,Daniels,Shiancoe just to name a few all of those guys will have 12 receptions and 2tds at least against the Giants, unless we figure out to cover them with our LB's

I agree...but the LB's looked weak as usual. Lets hope its just a preseason thing of hiding the playbook. One thing I have noticed about AFC teams is that they play the preseason like its the playoffs.

Tuck looked good....Webster looked good....Bradshaw looked good.

I'm going to write this off as a meaningless game....can't wait for this bullshit to be over and the real games to start so I can see if Fewell is as aggressive as the beat writers claim, cause I've seen jack shit so far.

The biggest reason for worry is cornerback. We are in serious trouble RIGHT NOW before the season even starts at that position and nobody is really giving it a second thought. It sounds like Terrell Thomas will be back before the season opener, but I am really worried about Ross' viability to play effectively or even get in games at all. If we have Bruce Johnson or Courtney Brown at the nickel, it is not going to effin' matter who our linebackers are, or how great the other 10 players are on defense. We will have one big gaping weakness for QB's to exploit, and they will run out 3 wide all day long on us. Bruce Johnson and Courtney Brown were completely, 100% outclassed the other night by Baltimore's receivers. Reese better start trying to find a corner to come in, because these guys WILL NOT be able to get it done. Heaven forbid TT or Webster go down, because then we are really, really screwed in a major way.

The worst part about it is that Reese has invested so much in the rest of this defense, only to leave one position inadequate that could literally cost us ball games.

The biggest reason for worry is cornerback. We are in serious trouble RIGHT NOW before the season even starts at that position and nobody is really giving it a second thought. It sounds like Terrell Thomas will be back before the season opener, but I am really worried about Ross' viability to play effectively or even get in games at all. If we have Bruce Johnson or Courtney Brown at the nickel, it is not going to effin' matter who our linebackers are, or how great the other 10 players are on defense. We will have one big gaping weakness for QB's to exploit, and they will run out 3 wide all day long on us. Bruce Johnson and Courtney Brown were completely, 100% outclassed the other night by Baltimore's receivers. Reese better start trying to find a corner to come in, because these guys WILL NOT be able to get it done. Heaven forbid TT or Webster go down, because then we are really, really screwed in a major way.

The worst part about it is that Reese has invested so much in the rest of this defense, only to leave one position inadequate that could literally cost us ball games.

Good point about Ross....I can't remember when the guy was truly healthy.

We've upgraded at safety, that should help.

I'm just wondering how much of this was due to the packages each team was playing. That was pure vanilla D out there, going against a no huddle....and my guess are that vets are saving themselves for the regular season. No way is Bulluck or Phillips, for example, going to be given a green light to play lights out.

If Webster stays healthy, the coverage can roll toward the weakest link, which would be the 3rd CB....if Ross can't suit up.

I'm not going to hit the panic button....but that Raven game didn't help my outlook, either.

And it doesn't help that we open against the Panthers....and John Fox has a fucking crystal ball when it comes to attacking the Giants soft spots.

I'm just wondering how much of this was due to the packages each team was playing. That was pure vanilla D out there, going against a no huddle....and my guess are that vets are saving themselves for the regular season. No way is Bulluck or Phillips, for example, going to be given a green light to play lights out.

If Webster stays healthy, the coverage can roll toward the weakest link, which would be the 3rd CB....if Ross can't suit up.

I'm not going to hit the panic button....but that Raven game didn't help my outlook, either.

And it doesn't help that we open against the Panthers....and John Fox has a fucking crystal ball when it comes to attacking the Giants soft spots.

Joe, you make good points, but I maintain the talent level drop off after Webster, Thomas, and Ross is too significant (and yes, Tree, I don't think Bruce or DJ Johnson is nearly good enough). This is bad, bad, news. I said it last year about the safety position, and that was before KP got hurt. We are good enough at safety this year, but corner is going to cause problems if Reese doesn't address this. If I'm Reese right now I'm playing Rocky Bernard a LOT against the Patriots and give teams a long look at him. He had two sacks last game, if he does it again I'm dangling the trade bait for another corner.

Joe, you make good points, but I maintain the talent level drop off after Webster, Thomas, and Ross is too significant (and yes, Tree, I don't think Bruce or DJ Johnson is nearly good enough). This is bad, bad, news. I said it last year about the safety position, and that was before KP got hurt. We are good enough at safety this year, but corner is going to cause problems if Reese doesn't address this. If I'm Reese right now I'm playing Rocky Bernard a LOT against the Patriots and give teams a long look at him. He had two sacks last game, if he does it again I'm dangling the trade bait for another corner.

I don't deny that there's a sharp drop off in quality after the top 3 on the depth chart, just that BJ isn't as bad as some (not just you) are saying.

I like the idea of Bernard as trade bait though, good idea.

Jim we may have upgraded at safety with the addition of Rolle, but just like CB there is no depth there, Our backup safeties looked pretty shitty, its not 100% guaranteed Phillips plays all year or the rest of his career, Michael Johnson is out but should be available for the first game still we have no depth at all in the secondary

Jim we may have upgraded at safety with the addition of Rolle, but just like CB there is no depth there, Our backup safeties looked pretty shitty, its not 100% guaranteed Phillips plays all year or the rest of his career, Michael Johnson is out but should be available for the first game still we have no depth at all in the secondary

Rolle and Phillips are the starters. If Phillips can't go at any point, Deon Grant steps in, a guy who has started his whole career, is pretty good, and is as durable a player as there is. Michael Johnson is the 4th safety and Shareff Rashad is hanging on by a thread to make the team. I've read Rashad has held his own ok.... but whether he makes it or not, Grant and Johnson is pretty good depth at safety for any team in the NFL, so I'd have to disagree with you on that point, Bigblue.