SportsWrath

53 Man Roster Prediction

Allstarjim

Yes, I know it's too early for this.... but this is the first draft, ok? A lot can change with the next several preseason games. But here are my thoughts on each position as I see them going into the 2010 season:

OFFENSE – (26)

QB – (2) Eli Manning, Rhett Bomar (Sorgi on PUP)

Eli Manning has proven to be as durable and tough as they come. Because of that, TC will afford himself a second consecutive season of starting with just 2 QB’s on the active roster. I think Sorgi’s shoulder injury is a little more concerning than advertised. By putting him on PUP, it will allow the team to bring him back slowly. As stated, Eli’s durability makes the prospect of needing Bomar low risk.

RB – (4) Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Danny Ware, Andre Brown

Last season, the Giants started week 1 with just 3 RBs on the active roster. Not this season, as this entire unit has gone through a rigmarole of health concerns over the past season plus. Ahmad Bradshaw takes the lead role of a unit looking to bounce back, but B-Jac will still get his.

FB - (1) Madison Hedgecock

This is no gimme. I've read the coaches really like Jerome Johnson, but the only reason I'm picking Hedgecock here is because he's the incumbent.

WR – (6) Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan, Victor Cruz

It is highly unlikely that TC will carry 7 wideouts into week 1 as he did last season. This unit looks to build upon a nice 2009. Hakeem Nicks is ready to break out into an NFL phenom. Manningham needs to continue to get better, and Barden will get some looks this year, especially in the “green” zone. Hagan has been a steady contributor and is valued on specials, and the upstart Cruz is only a few nice special teams plays away from bumping Sinorice Moss, who has no special teams value. This is the year that we finally say goodbye to Sinorice.

TE – (3) Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

A position of concern for the Giants, Boss needs to show he’s back from offseason surgery. Beckum needs to prove he’s ready this year for an expanded role. Pascoe has been a gamer since his arrival.

OL – (10) Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, David Diehl, Chris Snee, Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Shawn Andrews, Mitch Petrus, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets

A lot to like about the quality and depth of this line. I did not want to count out tough as nails Seubert as a starter week 1, but I do think his broken left hand will limit him to an extent that Beatty will push Diehl inside to start the season. Andrews’ needs to get into playing shape, but he provides great insurance at the tackle position in particular. Whimper hasn’t gotten much publicity, but he has held his own when pressed into starting duty in the past. I’m very high on Petrus, and Koets is a necessity as the primary backup center. This is the deepest Giants’ line I can ever remember, but health is the key to their success, as the core of this group is not getting any younger.

DEFENSE – (25)

DE – (5) Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson

This is the group to watch. We’re not going to see it until week 1 of the regular season. But the Panthers O-line better get ready for a long afternoon. Last season, Tuck was never right after the trip by Flozell injured his labrum. And I don’t think Umenyiora was all the way back from knee surgery. But this group is now as ready and as healthy as they’ve ever been, and add to that a player that I believe we are going to hear a lot about. Watching this guy play, the sky is the limit. I’m going to say it right now, he could be better than Jason Taylor was at his best. He WILL make an impact this year. The guy at the end of this unit deserves some mention, because every year he comes out and overachieves. He would probably be a top backup at least on most other teams, and even a starter on some. This is a fearsome, versatile unit.

DT – (4) Chris Canty, Barry Coefield, Jay Alford, Linval Joseph

Here is another talented group. If early indications are accurate, Chris Canty is back in a big way. He is a difference maker in the middle when he’s physically right, as he wasn’t in ’09. He is going to be a big key in occupying blockers and allowing favorable matchups for our talented ends to make plays in the backfield. Cofield is a strong DT, and the hope is Alford is all the way back from his knee injury last preseason. Linval Joseph might be a force to be reckoned with year one. *EDIT* I initially had Rocky Bernard making this roster, but had to find an extra cut because I forgot about the fullback position. We are only about midway through the preseason, however, and somehow I think Bernard makes this team, despite a very disappointing '09, but right now I have to project him as a cut.

LB – (8) Michael Boley, Keith Bulluck, Clint Sintim, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn, Bryan Kehl, Phillip Dillard, Zak DeOssie

There is a logjam at linebacker, and despite a nice performance in the first preseason game, I have Wilkinson as a roster casualty. This is the toughest one to call, however. He will make this roster if Blackburn starts on PUP (a possibility) or there is another injury. Last season, the Giants went with 8 Linebackers on the 53 man roster, and I don’t see how they can get away with more than that this year. The top 3 of Boley, Bulluck, and Sintim have a high ceiling overall. Goff has played very well in camp and to start the preseason and I expect that he will be the top back up at MLB and possibly even on the strongside. Kehl is still probably the best pass coverage linebacker on the team other than Boley, and I just don’t think you can cut him for that reason. I’m sure the Giants would love to put Dillard on the practice squad as he doesn’t provide much value for this year, but it is doubtful he would clear waivers. DeOssie is a necessity as the team’s long snapper and is a special teams’ ace.

CB – (4) Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Bruce Johnson

The top 3 corners on this team are outstanding. The Giants nickel package will be something special, for sure. Bruce Johnson has done everything right despite not having the greatest of physical gifts. The Giants would like to get DJ Johnson on the practice squad, I think. But no room for him now.

S – (4) Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Michael Johnson

First, Antrel Rolle is an absolute game changer. His signing takes this position from being abysmal to a strength. If Phillips is all the way back, which would be something of a medical miracle, then oh my goodness, they are going to be fun to watch. I am trying to not get too excited, but this defensive backfield has more potential than any in Giants’ history, no exaggeration. The addition of Deon Grant was key as well, and even if he’s pressed into starting duty, the Giants can feel more than comfortable with the safety position. Michael Johnson understands what’s expected of him… he had a disappointing and injury plagued ’09. But he does have value in a reserve role.

SPECIAL TEAMS – (2)

K – Lawrence Tynes

Our ho-hum incumbent needs to improve on a so-so ’09. Not a position of strength, but the Giants could do worse.

P – Matt Dodge

Much has been made of his inconsistency thus far. But he’s a rookie who has only played 1 NFL preseason game. I think the alarmists are getting a little crazy because they never had to worry about this position when Feagles was on the team. Give this kid time. He has a huge leg, and his primary responsibility is to turn field position around on the other team, and he can do that exceptionally well. He will likely have a bad moment or two, but he’ll also have a lot of big kicks that backs the opposing offense up. He’ll also likely never be as good as Feagles at the coffin corner, but really, who is? Feagles did that better than anyone in the history of the game, so it would be unfair to put that kind of expectation on the kid. I for one can live with a few touchbacks if this guy can boom a steady supply of 50+ yard punts for us, which I think he can do.

Yes, I know it's too early for this.... but this is the first draft, ok? A lot can change with the next several preseason games. But here are my thoughts on each position as I see them going into the 2010 season:

OFFENSE – (25)

QB – (2) Eli Manning, Rhett Bomar (Sorgi on PUP)

Eli Manning has proven to be as durable and tough as they come. Because of that, TC will afford himself a second consecutive season of starting with just 2 QB’s on the active roster. I think Sorgi’s shoulder injury is a little more concerning than advertised. By putting him on PUP, it will allow the team to bring him back slowly. As stated, Eli’s durability makes the prospect of needing Bomar low risk.

RB – (4) Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Danny Ware, Andre Brown

Last season, the Giants started week 1 with just 3 RBs on the active roster. Not this season, as this entire unit has gone through a rigmarole of health concerns over the past season plus. Ahmad Bradshaw takes the lead role of a unit looking to bounce back, but B-Jac will still get his.

WR – (6) Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Derek Hagan, Victor Cruz

It is highly unlikely that TC will carry 7 wideouts into week 1 as he did last season. This unit looks to build upon a nice 2009. Hakeem Nicks is ready to break out into an NFL phenom. Manningham needs to continue to get better, and Barden will get some looks this year, especially in the “green” zone. Hagan has been a steady contributor and is valued on specials, and the upstart Cruz is only a few nice special teams plays away from bumping Sinorice Moss, who has no special teams value. This is the year that we finally say goodbye to Sinorice.

TE – (3) Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

A position of concern for the Giants, Boss needs to show he’s back from offseason surgery. Beckum needs to prove he’s ready this year for an expanded role. Pascoe has been a gamer since his arrival.

OL – (10) Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, David Diehl, Chris Snee, Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Shawn Andrews, Mitch Petrus, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets

A lot to like about the quality and depth of this line. I did not want to count out tough as nails Seubert as a starter week 1, but I do think his broken left hand will limit him to an extent that Beatty will push Diehl inside to start the season. Andrews’ needs to get into playing shape, but he provides great insurance at the tackle position in particular. Whimper hasn’t gotten much publicity, but he has held his own when pressed into starting duty in the past. I’m very high on Petrus, and Koets is a necessity as the primary backup center. This is the deepest Giants’ line I can ever remember, but health is the key to their success, as the core of this group is not getting any younger.

DEFENSE – (26)

DE – (5) Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson

This is the group to watch. We’re not going to see it until week 1 of the regular season. But the Panthers O-line better get ready for a long afternoon. Last season, Tuck was never right after the trip by Flozell injured his labrum. And I don’t think Umenyiora was all the way back from knee surgery. But this group is now as ready and as healthy as they’ve ever been, and add to that a player that I believe we are going to hear a lot about. Watching this guy play, the sky is the limit. I’m going to say it right now, he could be better than Jason Taylor was at his best. He WILL make an impact this year. The guy at the end of this unit deserves some mention, because every year he comes out and overachieves. He would probably be a top backup at least on most other teams, and even a starter on some. This is a fearsome, versatile unit.

DT – (5) Chris Canty, Barry Coefield, Jay Alford, Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard

Here is another talented group. If early indications are accurate, Chris Canty is back in a big way. He is a difference maker in the middle when he’s physically right, as he wasn’t in ’09. He is going to be a big key in occupying blockers and allowing favorable matchups for our talented ends to make plays in the backfield. Cofield is a strong DT, and the hope is Alford is all the way back from his knee injury last preseason. Linval Joseph might be a force to be reckoned with year one, and Rocky Bernard looks to bounce back from a disappointing ’09.

LB – (8) Michael Boley, Keith Bulluck, Clint Sintim, Jonathan Goff, Chase Blackburn, Bryan Kehl, Phillip Dillard, Zak DeOssie

There is a logjam at linebacker, and despite a nice performance in the first preseason game, I have Wilkinson as a roster casualty. This is the toughest one to call, however. He will make this roster if Blackburn starts on PUP (a possibility) or there is another injury. Last season, the Giants went with 8 Linebackers on the 53 man roster, and I don’t see how they can get away with more than that this year. The top 3 of Boley, Bulluck, and Sintim have a high ceiling overall. Goff has played very well in camp and to start the preseason and I expect that he will be the top back up at MLB and possibly even on the strongside. Kehl is still probably the best pass coverage linebacker on the team other than Boley, and I just don’t think you can cut him for that reason. I’m sure the Giants would love to put Dillard on the practice squad as he doesn’t provide much value for this year, but it is doubtful he would clear waivers. DeOssie is a necessity as the team’s long snapper and is a special teams’ ace.

CB – (4) Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Bruce Johnson

The top 3 corners on this team are outstanding. The Giants nickel package will be something special, for sure. Bruce Johnson has done everything right despite not having the greatest of physical gifts. The Giants would like to get DJ Johnson on the practice squad, I think. But no room for him now.

S – (4) Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Michael Johnson

First, Antrel Rolle is an absolute game changer. His signing takes this position from being abysmal to a strength. If Phillips is all the way back, which would be something of a medical miracle, then oh my goodness, they are going to be fun to watch. I am trying to not get too excited, but this defensive backfield has more potential than any in Giants’ history, no exaggeration. The addition of Deon Grant was key as well, and even if he’s pressed into starting duty, the Giants can feel more than comfortable with the safety position. Michael Johnson understands what’s expected of him… he had a disappointing and injury plagued ’09. But he does have value in a reserve role.

SPECIAL TEAMS – (2)

K – Lawrence Tynes

Our ho-hum incumbent needs to improve on a so-so ’09. Not a position of strength, but the Giants could do worse.

P – Matt Dodge

Much has been made of his inconsistency thus far. But he’s a rookie who has only played 1 NFL preseason game. I think the alarmists are getting a little crazy because they never had to worry about this position when Feagles was on the team. Give this kid time. He has a huge leg, and his primary responsibility is to turn field position around on the other team, and he can do that exceptionally well. He will likely have a bad moment or two, but he’ll also have a lot of big kicks that backs the opposing offense up. He’ll also likely never be as good as Feagles at the coffin corner, but really, who is? Feagles did that better than anyone in the history of the game, so it would be unfair to put that kind of expectation on the kid. I for one can live with a few touchbacks if this guy can boom a steady supply of 50+ yard punts for us, which I think he can do.

Punters do not need NFL experience........all your doing is kicking the same dann ball you've been kicking since you were 5.......maybe this kid is nervous.......we dont need another pscho kicker like the inconsistent and oh so replaceable tynes........where is Carney?

Rocky Bernard will not make the team, and Moss will not be cut......Coughlin will run with 7 as the starters he has are often injured.

Punters do not need NFL experience........all your doing is kicking the same dann ball you've been kicking since you were 5.......maybe this kid is nervous.......we dont need another pscho kicker like the inconsistent and oh so replaceable tynes........where is Carney?

Rocky Bernard will not make the team, and Moss will not be cut......Coughlin will run with 7 as the starters he has are often injured.

You were quoting my original as I was editing it. I had forgotten about the fullback position so I had to make a change.... the change was Bernard getting cut (as of now). Things are likely to change between now and final cut day however and I will probably end up reflecting that change with Bernard making this team. He was a huge bust last season but he does have a much longer history of success in the NFL. Reese and Coughlin recognize that you can never have too many quality defensive linemen, and while most would not put Bernard in that category based on last season, over his entire career you must recognize his ability. He's still only 31, which is not ancient. Anyhow, as of now he doesn't make it.

But you are completely wrong about the WR position. There is no way, no how that they carry 7 wideouts this year. Last year was an abberation... and 6 WR's are plenty, even if there are injury concerns. I can tell you one thing, unless one of them gets IR'ed or put on PUP, one out of the group of Cruz, Hagan, or Moss will get cut. Do you really think it will be Cruz, if he continues to impress in preseason and especially if he shows valuable in the return game? Maybe Hagan, but he has been a valuable special teamer. Moss is the only one that has proven he is not a reliable punt/kick returner, and has no value on special teams as a gunner. If he is unlikely to dress on most game days (and he is unlikely to dress... who else is going to sit?) then why the hell would he be retained?

You are also incorrect about Dodge. Of course he is nervous... it was his first professional game. But he also had some nice kicks, and if you are going to judge him on his first professional game in the preseason and say he is no good... well that is just stupid. Plus, the NFL game is much faster than college, of course he needed to get that NFL experience to know that.

Again with Carney... we've been over this... dude is finished. He couldn't kick a ball 40 yards with a stiff breeze behind him at his age. Get over it. At least Nas' obsession with Plaxico has some logical merit.

great college punters don't necessarily make good pro punters.

Years ago, an Ole Miss guy, kicked the fool out of the ball all the time. best player on the team. was not drafted?

Why?

because there's a difference between a "3-step" punter and a "2-step" punter.

you have more time to kick it in college than in the pros.

name was Bill Smith. awesome college kicker.

I think you're pretty much spot on Jim, though I don't know if they can afford to carry 10 OLinemen and only 4 CBs (how many did we start with last year?).

I struggled with that one, but you can't expose Petrus to waivers, and who else do you cut out of those 10 linemen? Whimper? Out of these guys, who do you cut: Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, David Diehl, Chris Snee, Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Shawn Andrews, Mitch Petrus, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets

Some people would say Koets, but he's the only backup center on this team. And Whimper I think is too valuable as a backup tackle (we can't count on Andrews just yet). Last year the Giants had 10 OL going into the season, so I'm just going with the same number this year, and looking at that group, to me it seems like the most likely scenario.

Last season, the Giants carried 5 CB's... BUT only 3 safeties for 8 total DB's. The flip side is that they were dangerously short-handed at the safety position, and that came back to bite us. But here's why we can go with only 4 CB's this season; Antrel Rolle. His athleticism and experience at playing both at the corner and safety means that in dime situations, you can have 3 safeties on the field at one time, with KP and Deon Grant also on the field, with the cornerback trio of Webster, Ross, and Thomas. If more than one CB goes down with injury at the same time, however, then you would be forced to play Rolle play corner in nickelback situations. But I think with the other 3 safeties we have, we can afford to do that, and hopefully it won't come to that.

great college punters don't necessarily make good pro punters.

Years ago, an Ole Miss guy, kicked the fool out of the ball all the time. best player on the team. was not drafted?

Why?

because there's a difference between a "3-step" punter and a "2-step" punter.

you have more time to kick it in college than in the pros.

name was Bill Smith. awesome college kicker.

And that's fine, rph, all I'm saying is that the kid needs more than 1 preseason game before that's decided. Jack has already made up his mind that he sucks. Give me a break already.

I like that you have Victor Cruz making the team. I hope he does. He might turn out to be the second coming of Miles Austin, another undrafted wide reciever from a smaller school. And he has turned out very well for the Cowboys.

I love it when somebody comes out of nowhere and blossums into a star. I think Cruz has that potential. Fingers are crossed.

I like that you have Victor Cruz making the team. I hope he does. He might turn out to be the second coming of Miles Austin, another undrafted wide reciever from a smaller school. And he has turned out very well for the Cowboys.

I love it when somebody comes out of nowhere and blossums into a star. I think Cruz has that potential. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks Bleedin'. Would you have gone a different way at any other position? Curious on your take on this group.

Thanks Bleedin'. Would you have gone a different way at any other position? Curious on your take on this group.

I went over every position and agree 100%.

Only question in my mind is if Bomar can beat out Sorgi. I expect Sorgi to be recovered by the start of season.

I'm anxious to see how Bomar does tonight. I've always thought he was a stud QB that slipped through the cracks who would've been a first rounder had he been able to complete his career at Oklahoma rather than lowly Sam Houston State. He was compared to John Elway by Rivals and Scout before his troubles for working for a car dealer and making money when the dealership was discovered to be owned by a major donor to Oklahoma University. Kind of a bullshit deal, but it was enough for NCAA to force him to leave the school.

Regardless....if he shows poise, good decision making, and accurate throws.....he could make a great backup. Time will tell.

I struggled with that one, but you can't expose Petrus to waivers, and who else do you cut out of those 10 linemen? Whimper? Out of these guys, who do you cut: Kareem McKenzie, William Beatty, David Diehl, Chris Snee, Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Shawn Andrews, Mitch Petrus, Guy Whimper, Adam Koets

After tonight's performance I think Whimper has a big "?" hanging over him. If Andrews can show some form he might be in trouble.

I don't see anything I disagree with, but I hate the idea of Koets being our only backup center, and I think TE is a weakness as long as we have Beckum. Not that he's a terrible player, but I just don't see where he's exceptional, and he doesn't fit the mold of a TE in our offense. At this point, I prefer Bear Pascoe. Hopefully Beckum proves me wrong.

I was also impressed with Adrian Tracy--yes, he was in with the third stringers, but he was making a lot of plays tonight. I wish they'd teach him to long-snap, because he seems to have more potential than DeOssie.

Man everyone's hatin' on DeOssie lately. Dude provides a valuable service... longsnapping. As Giants' fans, we know how not having a reliable long snapper can hurt you bad. Also, he's one of the better all-around special teamers we have. Personally, I don't want anyone else experimenting with long snapping this late in the game. As far as I'm concerned, DeOssie's roster spot is as etched in stone as Eli Manning's.

Man everyone's hatin' on DeOssie lately. Dude provides a valuable service... longsnapping. As Giants' fans, we know how not having a reliable long snapper can hurt you bad. Also, he's one of the better all-around special teamers we have. Personally, I don't want anyone else experimenting with long snapping this late in the game. As far as I'm concerned, DeOssie's roster spot is as etched in stone as Eli Manning's.

I'm not really hating on him--I just prefer keeping a linebacker that can actually play the position. He is good on special teams, but as a linebacker he has shown nothing.

Real nice job, Jim. Very good analysis.

My only thoughts: I think on OL it's either Whimper or Boothe on the outside.....Boothe has the torn pec, and that could very well be the deciding factor.

Also, is Alford all the way back? I thought I read somewhere that he's still has some issues relating to his injury last season.....still can't see them dropping that guy.