SportsWrath

NY Giants Sign Former Eagles Offensive Lineman Shawn Andrews

Mr. P

in-andrews2-071113.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. - On the final day of training camp, the Giants made a stunning roster move.

The team signed former Eagles first-round pick Shawn Andrews, a talented but oft-injured and somewhat troubled two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman whose career in Philadelphia ended in March when he was waived by the franchise.

"Our personnel staff has been monitoring Shawn's progress for a while now," general manager Jerry Reese said in the team's press release. "He looks great and had a very good workout for us yesterday. He can play both guard and both tackle positions. We just have to take him slow for the rest of the preseason to get him into game shape. Shawn is very excited and grateful for this opportunity to play for the New York Giants."

The 6-4, 335-pound Andrews has played a total of only two games in the past two seasons combined because of back issues that required surgery last offseason. Andrews was on injured reserve all of last year. Andrews also landed on IR in his rookie season when he broke his leg in the opener against, ironically, the Giants.

Andrews has also dealt with personal issues over the past few seasons. In 2008, he failed to report to training camp on time and was an unexcused holdout for more than two weeks. Andrews told reporters he was battling depression and was seeking professional help.

Before last season, the Eagles signed Andrews' brother, Stacy, which some believed was in part an attempt to provide support for Shawn. But the brothers never played a down together because of Shawn's back issues.

The Giants' signing of Shawn Andrews is somewhat intriguing, given their contention right guard Chris Snee's nagging knee injury has improved over the past week. The team is also expecting left guard Rich Seubert to return to action after missing the preseason opener with a broken hand. And on Thursday, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said the team's other alignment - David Diehl at left guard, William Beatty at right tackle - looked solid against the Jets on Monday night.

Of course, the Giants might see Andrews, a tackle in college at Arkansas, as being a candidate to return to his old position. Then again, maybe they felt they just couldn't pass up on the opportunity to add one of the top available free agents - if healthy and focused - as a backup to their aging group of offensive linemen.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin will address reporters following Friday morning's jog-through practice.

To make room on the roster for Andrews, the Giants waived OL Cliff Louis.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/giants_sign_former_eagles_offe.html

I like this for a few reasons:

If the cowboys or skins signed him I'd view it as a good move for them, and with their o-line problems I'm glad we beat them to it.

He's a 2 time pro-bowler so hes got the skill.

He can play both tackle and guard which is good.

and I imagine we gave him a pretty cheap contract, so it's low risk high reward.

Good move, Reese.

I like this for a few reasons:

If the cowboys or skins signed him I'd view it as a good move for them, and with their o-line problems I'm glad we beat them to it.

He's a 2 time pro-bowler so hes got the skill.

He can play both tackle and guard which is good.

and I imagine we gave him a pretty cheap contract, so it's low risk high reward.

Good move, Reese.

I agree with your assessment. He's only 27 years old. He's had some issues in the past, depression and back problems. Eagles' fans are going to ridicule the signing but he's replacing a career backup with a low ceiling. I'm sure he's probably only getting around the vet minimum, too. He's not being brought in to start, he's being brought in to be a backup. Nothing wrong with this at all.

And on Thursday, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said the team's other alignment - David Diehl at left guard, William Beatty at right tackle - looked solid against the Jets on Monday night.

Umm, was Gilly at the same game? The OLine looked like Swiss cheese.

Umm, was Gilly at the same game? The OLine looked like Swiss cheese.

I don't think those two guys were responsible for blocking a 5 or 6 rushers, which was usually the case. What I saw in the first half anyway was the blitz not get picked up. I didn't see the Jets' front 4 do much.

I don't think those two guys were responsible for blocking a 5 or 6 rushers, which was usually the case. What I saw in the first half anyway was the blitz not get picked up. I didn't see the Jets' front 4 do much.

According to the ESPN boxscore, Giants' QBs were hit 5 times in that game... thrice by a DB and twice by a LBer.

So who's our left tackle officially?

My money is still on Diehl. But if it's not him, it will be Beatty. First Andrews has to show he can leave his troubles behind and make this team. If he does that, I think he is insurance for McKenzie, not at LT.

Nothing is "official" yet but they're almost begging Beatty to win the job, so Diehl can move inside. If Andrews can still play, he provides depth - and competition - at both guard and tackle. I still see him, at 335 lbs, as more of a guard, though.

I'm aware that two guys aren't responsible for every defensive player but there's normally 6 guys on the OLine (inc. TE). They struggled to keep players out of the backfield or to open holes on running plays. The OLine's play is my biggest concern going into the season.

I know they were down quite a few guys, and Rex was throwing his whole defensive playbook at them, but they've got a lot to work to do before Sept. 19th.

According to the ESPN boxscore, Giants' QBs were hit 5 times in that game... thrice by a DB and twice by a LBer.

If the Giants were playing a team that doesn't treat a fucking preseason game like the playoffs, that number would be different.

Fewell was going with his base package, while Fats Ryan is throwing blitzes around and playing his 1st team long after the Giants brought their bench into the game.

This is why I've always hated the Jets-Giants preseason game (aka, the Injury Bowl).

So the verdict is in, we are not confident in the guys we have in camp. Shawn Andrews has a list of problems which is why he got cut. People questioned Chad Jones and his desire to play football. Shawn Andrews has questioned his own will to play football and wanted to sing. Back problems just don't go away.

Isn't Grey Ruegamer available since he got cut from Seattle?

Only hopeful sign is they went and picked a free agent instead of giving up a draft pick for a linemen from somewhere else. They might regret that if Seubert, O'Hara and Snee are down a significant part of the season.

So the verdict is in, we are not confident in the guys we have in camp. Shawn Andrews has a list of problems which is why he got cut. People questioned Chad Jones and his desire to play football. Shawn Andrews has questioned his own will to play football and wanted to sing. Back problems just don't go away.

Isn't Grey Ruegamer available since he got cut from Seattle?

Only hopeful sign is they went and picked a free agent instead of giving up a draft pick for a linemen from somewhere else. They might regret that if Seubert, O'Hara and Snee are down a significant part of the season.

Grey Ruegamer was a great backup.....not sure how much he has left in the tank, and Andrews is younger.

The question is whether he is healthy, and has his problems behind him.....Reese seems to think so.

Found this from back in August 2008.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/Andrews_Battling_Depression_Plans_Return_Soon.html

"I'm willing to admit that I've been going through a very bad time with depression," the Eagles' two-time Pro Bowl right guard said. "I've finally decided to get professional help. It's not something that blossomed up overnight. I'm on medication, trying to get better."

Andrews didn't want to go into the origins of his depression, which he said began a little more than a year ago and steadily worsened. "I really was kind of at my end," he said. "I've really had a lot on my mind, really (been) contemplating a lot of things."

Anyone who has been through such struggles knows the symptoms he is dealing with -- a frantic, anxious feeling, inability to sleep or concentrate.

"In the state that I'm in, (had he reported), I would be at training camp physically, but mentally, I could have gotten myself hurt or gotten one of my teammates hurt," Andrews said. "But I have a meeting with my doc on Thursday, and hopefully, I'll be up that way on Friday."

Actually, if Andrews shows up on Friday there won't be anyone at camp to greet him -- the Eagles play their presesason opener that night in Pittsburgh. Saturday would probably be good for everyone.

Andrews confirmed that he is being fined more than $15,000 per day because his absence is unexcused. He praised the Eagles, though, for being understanding, despite Eagles coach Andy Reid's hints Monday that the longer Andrews stays out, the more danger there is of sub Max Jean-Gilles taking his job.

"Football is important, it's a means to an end, but my mental health, I feel like, is a lot more important," Andrews said. "That's a helluva lot of money ... Money's good, money's a necessity, but it's not everything. I can't put a price tag on my mental state."

Andrews and agent Rich Moran declined to speculate on whether they could make a case legally or through the players' association to have the fines rescinded. They said they just want to get Andrews squared away and back with the team, right now.

Andrews has been reading some of the comments fans have made online about his situation.

"I don't expect sympathy," he said. "I know there are harsh people in this world, but dang, that made me feel low. I do care what people think about me, to an extent."

Andrews, who said he has continued to work out and is in top shape, 335 pounds, said he has spoken with a few teammates. He said he hopes to speak with the team when he returns, "to stop some of the bleeding."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/08/20/sports/s093038D97.DTL

Two-time Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews is giving football one last shot and it's going to be with the New York Giants.

After working out the former Philadelphia Eagles star at training camp, the Giants signed Andrews early Friday morning, giving depth to a line that now seemingly has more good players than starting spots.

Andrews has a lot to prove, too. The 27-year-old has not played since early in the 2008 season, missing all but two games the last two years because of back problems that required two surgeries.

"I am laying it all on the line, not that I haven't before," Andrews said. "This is it. The Giants are going to get everything from me."

There is no doubt Andrews is a talent. He also has baggage besides the back issues. His passion for football was questioned during his time in Philadelphia, with critics saying he was more interested in his music career, and he also missed part of the 2008 training camp while battling depression.

"My head is in the game," Andrews said. "It's always been in the game. I just had some setbacks there. It was untimely, and I've heard every excuse from myself why the things happened back in 2008. It happened. We all go through things.

"Why not give a guy a second chance who is passionate about what he does?"

Andrews has spent the past 10 months in Los Angeles, rehabilitating from his second back surgery. He said his back feels good, although he probably will be eased in with the Giants.

"I am a competitor," Andrews said, when asked why he came back to football. "I am trying to follow in the footsteps of the great Larry Allen. I want to be that good and even better and I think I have a chance to do that. This conference is competitive and I think I have a good shot to achieve that. Hopefully, everything goes well and it's back to kicking butt."

The Giants and several other teams followed Andrews' progress during his rehabilitation, but New York signed him. Andrews said he liked the people on the Giants, and the fact that they are located close to Philadelphia and play in the same division.

The Eagles released Andrews in March, saying he failed his physical. Andrews did not agree.

"I'm not making this a Shawn versus the Eagles thing," said Andrews, who made 50 starts for Philadelphia. "It was an untimely release. They wanted to go in another direction and I just kept working my tail off, so here I am. I am a G-Man."

While Andrews made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and '07 as a physical guard — he was an alternate in 2005 — he also has the footwork and strength to play tackle.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Andrews, the 16th pick in the 2004 draft, was an outstanding player a couple of years ago.

"He does indicate to you the kind of desire that he has to get back in the game," Coughlin said.

The Giants' starting line has been relatively the same in recent years, with Kareem McKenzie and David Diehl at tackle, Chris Snee and Rich Seubert at guard and Shaun O'Hara at center.

While Diehl, O'Hara and Snee played in the Pro Bowl last year, the Giants have been experimenting with their line in camp. Diehl has moved from left tackle to left guard in place of Seubert (broken hand) and second-year pro Will Beatty has started at left tackle.

Snee also has missed more than a week of practice with swelling in his left knee.

The Giants waived offensive lineman Cliff Louis to clear space on the roster.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/08/20/sports/s093038D97.DTL#ixzz0xALIKfeZ

Shawn Andrews Glad To Be With Giants And To Have Chance To Face The Eagles

andrews082010ajpg-45cc8613d0b199b3_large.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. – Shawn Andrews said he was playing on his iPad while his agent and the Giants finished the details of a still-undisclosed contract at about 1:15 a.m. Friday.

The game he was playing? “Angry Birds.”

Make the connection to the Eagles if you will. Someone did when Andrews mentioned the game to reporters during an impromptu press conference on the UAlbany field later Friday morning.

“Isn’t that ironic?” Philly’s former first-round pick and the newest Giant said of his game of choice before adding with a laugh about the comment: “That was good.”

The Giants closed out training camp with an intriguing and surprising move by signing Andrews Friday. The 6-4, 330 pounder, whom coach Tom Coughlin refused to peg as a guard or tackle as of now, brings with him a ton of potential but plenty of questions in the form of back problems and a psyche that concerned the Eagles in the past.

Asked about his former employer and why things went sour, Andrews stated his being released in March was “very untimely.” But while he hinted his situation with the Eagles was “interesting,” he declined to get into specifics.

“It was a lot, man,” he said following a pause. “I don’t really want to harp on that. The past is the past. The only time I look in the rearview is for the cops and I don’t speed. I’ll just kind of leave that where it is.”

Still, Andrews’ insistence he wanted to play in the NFC East near his old “friends” in Philadelphia indicated the Giants interested him in part because of their two games against the Eagles each season. His agent, Rich Moran, said via e-mail Andrews worked out for another team recently and had two more workouts scheduled. But Andrews decided to cancel those meetings to join the Giants.

Being on the other side of the Giants-Eagles rivalry has him excited.

“I am, (but) I have to get there first,” he said. “I’m not making this Shawn vs. the Eagles thing. I don’t have any bad blood toward them. It was just an untimely release, they wanted to go in another direction and I just kept working my tail off.”

Andrews, who played only two games in 2008 and missed all of last season, claims his back is feeling better after working the past 10 months at Select Physical Therapy in Culver City, Calif. Andrews stated he’s undergone a pair of surgeries – one in March 2009 and another nine months later – he described as “partial disk removals.” He believes he’s done everything to improve his health but won’t know for sure until he starts going through drills in practice next week.

“I’ve put myself through various tests and the only test for football is being on the field,” he said. “Just kind of going slow, a few plays here see how the back holds up. But I’m laying it on the line, not that I haven’t before but this is it. The Giants are going to get everything from me.”

Andrews said he needs to realize “the difference of (being) football sore and the back hurting. I’ve done everything to prevent it. We’ll see what happens. May God be with me.”

But what about the other supposedly fragile part of his existence: his head? The Giants’ signing of Andrews indicates they believe there are no issues there, so what was it that allowed them to get to that point?

“He’s been here for a couple of days and had interviews with basically everybody in here,” Coughlin said. “He’s been to dinner with our personnel people and Jerry Reese. People have spent a lot of time with him. I spent a good half-hour with him yesterday. The quality of the football player that I remember a few years ago is outstanding, knowing he went through some issues – the back and some other issues he had to deal with.

“But sensing now he really is motivated, has both feet on the ground where he wants to play. Just a pleasant young man to visit with and he does indicate to you the kind of desire he has to get back in the game.”

Said Andrews, “My head is in the game. It’s always been in the game. I just had some setbacks there and it was untimely. I’ve heard every excuse for myself why things happened back in 2008 that happened. We all go through things and a lot of people, I’ve learned, that point the finger are probably going through a lot of things themselves and it just makes them feel stronger to point the finger at someone else. I know the God I serve is a forgiving God and he’s a God of second chances so why not give a guy a second chance who’s passionate about what he does.”

The immediate reaction from some of our readers and my Twitter followers was what does this signing mean about RG Chris Snee (knee) and LG Rich Seubert (hand)? I asked Coughlin if the team was at all concerned about the health of those players.

"No, not at all," Coughlin said. "It's just another quality football player who helps us."

Look, clearly this says the Giants are trying to improve their depth as well as their prospects moving forward. If Andrews shows signs of being his old self, they have a shot to add a high-quality starter at any of the guard positions or at tackle.

But as for whether they're hiding something on Snee or Seubert, I'd say that doesn't appear to be the case. Neither player, however, will play on Saturday night against the Steelers.

WR Ramses Barden (back) disputed Tom Coughlin's notion he'll be out "a while."

Barden said he doesn't think he'll be sidelined that long. But when asked for a time frame and a specific description of his injury, last year's third-round pick was cautious in choosing his words.

"It's ... it's ... it, uh ... let me see how I can put this," he said.

I told him to put it "the most informative way possible," to which he replied, "Yeah, you'd like that, wouldn't you?"

Barden eventually decided he'd better stay out of this one. But when he finally got to his car, he yelled back in my direction, "Hey, how about this? It's not chronic."

Okay then.

I'll have more from some of Andrews' new teammates, including some who faced him, later on. But for now, here are the leftovers of his session with the media:

(On interest from other teams)

There were a few teams interested. Some fell back and some persistent in their pursuing me. I’m here so…

(On why he picked the Giants)

They kind of picked me but I picked them as well. I just like the atmosphere. The guys I met, I can tell genuine people when I see them. It’s right up the road in the NFC same division where I come from. Its real intense and I like that.

(On whether he'll play guard or tackle)

A little bit of both. Wherever I fit in, wherever coach Coughlin and the offensive line coach (Pat) Flaherty sees me. I’m just here to get it done wherever they put me.

(On his back)

The back is feeling good. I’ve been working hard. I’ve been going hard. Not that I never worked hard in my life but this is my last attempt at it and I’m going all out. I’m selling out.

(On why he didn't retire)

I could have but I’m a competitor. I’m in the footsteps of the great Larry Allen. I want to be that good and even better. I have a chance to do that. In this conference, it’s competitive and I think I have a good shot to achieve that. Hopefully everything goes well and it’s back to kicking butt.

(On whether he failed a physical with the Eagles in the spring)

That’s kind of tricky right there., I won’t say that. Nah, I didn’t.

(On what went bad in Philly)

It was very interesting. I don’t really want to get into that and make it a battle but the time of my release was very untimely. I’m a Giant now. That’s all I can say, that’s all I can rest my hat on. I’ve been working hard and I’m a Giant.

(On being a Giant)

It kind of has a ring to it. It really does have a ring to it. And it’s right up the road. I made some friends back in Philly, New Jersey but I’m just right up the Turnpike. It just gives me another opportunity to stay in this conference and compete. I think the Giants did a … to be here. So I’m excited.

(On whether he prefers guard or tackle)

I like the right now aspect of the physicalness of playing guard but at tackle I kind of like the aspect of showing my footwork a little bit, showing off, if you will. It’s all physical but I like both aspects, Wherever they want me to be, that’s where I’m going to be.

(On what his brother, Eagles tackle Stacy Andrews said)

He was excited for me. I texted him and I told him I was close to being a Giant last night and I guess he woke up and heard the news this morning and was texting me. It was a little jargon we talk to each other with. But he was excited for me.

(On regaining his form or settling for less)

I never set the bar low. If I set the bar low, I wouldn’t be here and I wouldn’t havce gone through a second surgery and I wouldn’t have come here to work out. I always want to be the best. I want to do better than good enough and that’s what I aim to do.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/shawn_andrews_glad_to_be_with.html

The Eagles terminated his contract after he failed a physical in March, but Andrews says that's not entirely accurate.

"That's kind of tricky right there,'' Andrews said. "Nah. It was very interesting, I really don’t want to get into that, I don’t want to make it a battle. The time of my release was very timely. I'm a Giant now, that's all I can say. I don't really want to harp on that. The past is the past. The only time I look in the rearview is for the cops.''

:busted_cop:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_sign_former_pro_bowl_guard_NE48EKUAuedaOTBXAxh4eI

a reserve OT is a stunning move?

I'd say it's a pretty big move....former Pro-Bowler and all.

A very low risk, high reward move.....he could be another Lavar Arrington, or could be we landed a Larry Allen.....if he returns to his 2007 form.

I'd say it's a pretty big move....former Pro-Bowler and all.

A very low risk, high reward move.....he could be another Lavar Arrington, or could be we landed a Larry Allen.....if he returns to his 2007 form.

ok- perhaps it's semantics-my idea of stunning would have to involve a "skill player"

From the Daily News:

"It turned out to be almost a no-risk signing for the Giants. Andrews' agent, Rich Moran, told the Daily News in an e-mail that the six-year deal contains very little guaranteed money. He didn't reveal the exact terms - and they weren't immediately available - but he insisted there's "more upside" in the second-year of the contract. That likely means it's loaded with incentives and escalators related to playing time. It also means it won't cost the Giants much if they decide at any point in the first year that the signing just didn't work out".

He also wants to prove to the Eagles they screwed up. That's quality motivation. I also love deals where the only way a player makes any significatn money is to achieve specific goals. These high end contracts (especially to unproven rookies) that set guys up for life is frequently an incentive killer. Why work out hours every day and study tape when you're 21 years old, a multi-millionaire and there's fancy cars to ride around in, whores to bed, and bling to hang around the neck and fingers.

This is a good signing.

If the Giants were playing a team that doesn't treat a fucking preseason game like the playoffs, that number would be different.

Fewell was going with his base package, while Fats Ryan is throwing blitzes around and playing his 1st team long after the Giants brought their bench into the game.

This is why I've always hated the Jets-Giants preseason game (aka, the Injury Bowl).

Bump. The Giants should just pick another AFC team to play against during the preseason. I am sick of the Jets as they pull this shit every year.