SportsWrath

Frank Coyle's NY Giants mock

HOUND

Frank Coyle's Scouting Service has the Giants draft going this way:

Rd. 1 (25) - CB Antonio Cromartie - Fla. St.

Rd. 2 (56) - S Donte Whitner - Ohio State

Rd. 3 (87) - WR Maurice Stovall - Notre Dame

Rd. 4 (123) - LB James Anderson - Virginia Tech

Rd. 5 (153) - LB Clint Ingram - Oklahoma

Rd. 6 (184) - WR Jonathan Orr - Wisconsin

Rd. 7 (216) - WR Ed Hinkel - Iowa

I know it's a mock but I'd be OK with this draft. He has the prized linebackers being drafted before the Giants first pick. I'll take Cromartie if he's a consolation prize but I don't want us to select him over guys like D'Meco Ryans. I'll be ecstatic if we can land a guy like Whitner in round 2. I don't see him being there. I love the late round picks of Orr and Hinkel. I don't dislike Stovall either but I don't know how high I am on three WR's being drafted. Zach Streif is the highest rated Tackle on his board when we selected Stovall in the 3rd. I'd agree that Stovall presents better value.

Some names I've seen tossed around here that fell to the second day:

LB Kai Parham

LB Terna Nande

WR Brandon Williams

LB A.J. Nicholson

Guy's he has going earlier than I've seen in most drafts:

LB Chad Greenway - 12th overall to Cleveland

DE Mathias Kiwanuka - 13th overall to Baltimore!!!!

LB DeMeco Ryans - 14th overall to Philly

CB Ashton Youboty - 19th overall to San Diego

WR Devin Hester - 2nd round to Minnesota

QB Brodie Croyle - 2nd round to Denver

I know it's a mock but I'd be OK with this draft. He has the prized linebackers being drafted before the Giants first pick. I'll take Cromartie if he's a consolation prize but I don't want us to select him over guys like D'Meco Ryans. I'll be ecstatic if we can land a guy like Whitner in round 2. I don't see him being there. I love the late round picks of Orr and Hinkel. I don't dislike Stovall either but I don't know how high I am on three WR's being drafted. Zach Streif is the highest rated Tackle on his board when we selected Stovall in the 3rd. I'd agree that Stovall presents better value.

LB Kai Parham

LB Terna Nande

WR Brandon Williams

LB A.J. Nicholson

That'sgottobe outdated. Whitner might be the first or second safety off the board. And 3 WR's? That's a bit nuts, especially since Stovall could very well be taken in the second round, and Orr between rounds 3 and 4, maybe 5 at worst. And Ingram won't fall to the 5th IMO...he's impressed a lot of scouts in the months. And Kiwi going 13th overall?

LB Kai Parham

LB Terna Nande

WR Brandon Williams

LB A.J. Nicholson

3 WR?

That'sgottobe outdated. Whitner might be the first or second safety off the board. And 3 WR's? That's a bit nuts, especially since Stovall could very well be taken in the second round, and Orr between rounds 3 and 4, maybe 5 at worst. And Ingram won't fall to the 5th IMO...he's impressed a lot of scouts in the months. And Kiwi going 13th overall?

I can assure you it's not outdated. Coyle waits until after the combine and most of the Pro Days to go to print. His Draft mag only just came out this week.

I will say that every year there are guys he ranks significantly higher than others and conversely players he's not nearly as high on. Funny thing is, had the Kiwanuka ranking come out during last season I don't think it would've gotten nearly as much argument. Kiwanuka hasn't done anything wrong, I just think a bunch of other guys have improved their stock. I keep a pretty close eye on Coyles stuff all year long and he's always been high on Kiwanuka. Coyle isn't a frontrunner either. He's kind of the anti-Kiper. He's not looking for accolades. He's been doing this since before anyone had ever heard of Mel Kiper. He's not afraid to make the unconventional pick.

I tend to agree that Whitner will not be there in the 2nd but I wouldn't find it shocking if he was.

I too am not a fan of drafting 3 WR's. Like I said earlier I'd much rather see us stick with the late round WR's and take an OT in that 3rd round slot but looking at what he had available, Stovall was definitely a better option.

I'd also much prefer to get a linebacker on the first day but Anderson on day 2 would be a gem. I'm not as high on Ingram. He's a bit rigid. I've seen him compared to Brandon Short. One thing that stands out about both of the linebacker prospects Coyle has us taking is special teams play. They're ranked 1 and 2 among linebackers in Special Teams play.

you guys arent understand what hound said...ALL of the top tier linebackers were gone before we picked in the first...there is barely any drop off from second round on(especially consdering we pick late in the 2nd), so why NOT pick the best player, regardless of position?

you guys arent understand what hound said...ALL of the top tier linebackers were gone before we picked in the first...there is barely any drop off from second round on(especially consdering we pick late in the 2nd), so why NOT pick the best player, regardless of position?

No we understand. I have no problem with drafting Cromartie in the first but we should take a LB somewhere on the first day. I would prefer some where within the first 2 rounds. We need a starter at WLB. Thats all you need to understand, but even with that said I dont care if its barely a drop off. . . its still a drop off to second day talent. Second day prospects are projects. period. I dont care what draft you're in or how deep the talent is we arent going to find a starting WLB on the second day. Hell I dont even like the pick. James Anderson is being lable as a guy who might never start, could only be a special teams player. I have no problem with Ingram in the 5th thats a steal in the 5th round, shit he's a better prospect then Anderson. But both are projects and will need time, more time then most 1st day prospects at backer.

Honestly who knows though because he has Whitner going late in the 2nd round. Which to me and to many is insane. Youre talking about the 2nd best S in the draft going that late... forget about it.

Ive also said before how I felt on Stovall. I'll briefly say it again. Im not high on him because he had one good season. His junior year he had only 21 catches, had 60 catches under Weis his senior year. Nice improvement but he is 6'4 with a great verticle. He plays on average 5'9 corners at the collegian level. IMO he did what was expected of him and thats it. If you seen the games the guy cant get seperation, that will be much harder in the pros vs bigger corners. Sure he made some nice catches, he is a big play threat, and he would make sure we have the tallest recievers in the league but we need a LB as well as more of a flanker for our wide recieving core.

it makes absolutely no sense to pick a second tier linebacker in the second round when you can wait till the second day and get one...

btw, i think Ko Simpson is the second best safety in the draft...

Edited by Storm

it makes absolutely no sense to pick a second tier linebacker in the second round when you can wait till the second day and get one...

btw, Ko Simpson is the second best safety in the draft...

Bro, you are comparing a second round prospect to a 4th or 5th round prospect. Thats stupid. You're completly off on this second tier prospect thing. The nfl draft class is deep in LB talent but that doesnt mean you are going to find a NFL starting LB on the 2nd day. Im not sure if you are aware of this or not but we currently have ZERO starting calibur WLBs on roster. Hell its common sense. The higher you draft a prospect the better chances he will have of being a NFL calibur starter. I dont know how else to explain it.

Now you didnt get why I said that about Whitner. If Whitner (a first round prospect, potentially top 20) slips that far it might mean a LB was selected to early. That would change things if that LB would happen to be available come 25 now wouldnt it?

Just because Not according to NFLDraftcountdown.com

I leave all the college players to you experts.

I am hoping the Giants pick the best LB they can with

their 1st pick. We really need the type of player

that can come in on the first day of camp and

make it happen. Were gonna need a little luck as well

because with all the speculating that goes with these

draft picks there is no guarantee that a rookie

can come in and play in the NFL day one.

I hope we pick LB and DT CB and S maybe WR

LB is the most critical but its time the Giants

increase the talent at D.

Which LB's would be great additions to the Giants?

Name me a few guys to watch for!

The nfl draft class is deep in LB talent but that doesnt mean you are going to find a NFL starting LB on the 2nd day. Im not sure if you are aware of this or not but we currently have ZERO starting calibur WLBs on roster. Hell its common sense. The higher you draft a prospect the better chances he will have of being a NFL calibur starter. I dont know how else to explain it.

You also have to include the fact that LB in general is the weakest position on the team by far

Indeed if we can sign Ricky Proehl, it is aour only real need (although a DT and CB would be nice)

other than Pierce we have:

Emmons - age and injuries are starting to catch up with him

Torbor - inconsistent, is also a RFA after 2006

Chase Blackburn - adequate backup at best and decent special teams player

Only one LB is guaranteed to be on the roster in 2007

really LB is going to be our biggest need. We will draft at least one LB on the day 1

I would not be surprised if we came out of the draft with 3 LBs, or of we drafted two LBs on day 1

I would be very happy to see the Giants go with

2 LB's day one. I really beleive for "need" purposes

thats the way to go. As far as the best talent thats

a totally different thing.

chase black burn also maybe prone to neck injury now.

tobor even though he is very athletic has not shown

he can cover.

Emmons is very suspect with whats left in the tank.

2 LB' s YES!!! :TU:

First Martin I do agree with you and Im hoping LB is our first pick. People look at the depth at LB in this draft and think we can get away with something and thats not the case at all.

I'll name a few that I have watched play and know a little about.

The first is Ernie Sims OLB FSU. Now the chances of him being available come 25 are really slim. His stock has gone threw the roof since the combine and pro day workouts but I was high on him before that. I felt he was and still is the best choice for WLB if available. He fast, athletic, an excellent blitzer, very good durability, and most of all is a playmaker. There have been countless times that I can remember Sims making a big play for FSU.

After him its really a toss up IMO. You'll see Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard, Roger McIntosh, and possibly D'Qwell Jackson.

Chad Greenway didnt have a great combine but helped his stock a little with a better proday. He was dropping fast on a lot of charts. I dont really look at those combine or proday numbers much because I watch a lot of college football and feel I do know a thing or two when it comes down to backers. Greenway is an excellent LB. At the end of the season he was the number 2 OLB going into the draft now he is lucky to be number 3. Greenway is excellent in coverage. He switches in and out with excellent hip movement, changes direction, and just flat out plays the pass like a DB. He is really a true football player and has made his share of big plays for the Hawkeyes. One reason he is dropping is because of his 40 time and bench numbers from the combine. Others from on the field are his troubles at shedding blocks and the way he has tackled at the collegian level. A lot of his tackles were ankle tackles. Some people might feel he wont be able to get away with that at the pro level because of the faster more stronger athletes. I think he'll be a fine pro backer.

Demeco Ryans has top intangibles and is a physical player who played on one of the best defenses in all of college ball last season. He was their leader, their Antonio Pierce. He isnt the most flashy type of backer which is why he isnt getting the attention he deserves.

Bobby Carpenter. Now before I get into Bobby a lot of people are going to question why is he on the list. He might be bring the most controversy and opinions will vary. IMO, Carpenter is the next best fit after Sims. Carpenter has excellent size and for a man of his size he moves very well. He is another one of those true football players. Now I'll admit when I first notice Bobby Carpenter it was on accident. I was primarily watching A.J. Hawk but this crazy ass number 52 was all over the place I couldnt help but notice him.

Reasons I think Carpenter is the second best option behind Sims:

1. Carpenter has the versatility to play all 3 LB positions.

2. Carpenter is the BEST LB in the draft at pressuring the QB. He is the best on the blitz.

3. Bobby is also the toughest LB in this draft, with a mentality that will spread to our D like the plague.

4. Carpenter is a very aggressive player much Ernie Sims. We desperatly lack that attitude that these two guys bring to the field.

5. Bobby was very productive in college and has the experience to come in and start from day one.

6. Carpenter is very effective with run support and does a good job in coverage.

7. He is also a really good special teams player.

Bottom line is I feel Carpenter fits our defense really well. Im sure I can sit here and list plenty more reasons but i dont have the time. Carpenter is being over looked as of right now because many feel he is just a 3-4 backer or a sam in the 4-3. Thats not true at all. Carpenter can play and perform well as the will in the 4-3.

Others I mentioned are Thomas Howard (who personally I dont like), McIntosh, and Jackson. I like Jackson but he has played MLB in college and might need some time to adjust to WLB. He would also be a bit of a reach at 25. All three of those guys would be a reach at 25 though.

Anyways I hope that helped. I ran short on time and tried to crunch as much as I could.

Go HERE

That's our likely target.

First Martin I do agree with you and Im hoping LB is our first pick. People look at the depth at LB in this draft and think we can get away with something and thats not the case at all.

I'll name a few that I have watched play and know a little about.

The first is Ernie Sims OLB FSU. Now the chances of him being available come 25 are really slim. His stock has gone threw the roof since the combine and pro day workouts but I was high on him before that. I felt he was and still is the best choice for WLB if available. He fast, athletic, an excellent blitzer, very good durability, and most of all is a playmaker. There have been countless times that I can remember Sims making a big play for FSU.

After him its really a toss up IMO. You'll see Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard, Roger McIntosh, and possibly D'Qwell Jackson.

Chad Greenway didnt have a great combine but helped his stock a little with a better proday. He was dropping fast on a lot of charts. I dont really look at those combine or proday numbers much because I watch a lot of college football and feel I do know a thing or two when it comes down to backers. Greenway is an excellent LB. At the end of the season he was the number 2 OLB going into the draft now he is lucky to be number 3. Greenway is excellent in coverage. He switches in and out with excellent hip movement, changes direction, and just flat out plays the pass like a DB. He is really a true football player and has made his share of big plays for the Hawkeyes. One reason he is dropping is because of his 40 time and bench numbers from the combine. Others from on the field are his troubles at shedding blocks and the way he has tackled at the collegian level. A lot of his tackles were ankle tackles. Some people might feel he wont be able to get away with that at the pro level because of the faster more stronger athletes. I think he'll be a fine pro backer.

Demeco Ryans has top intangibles and is a physical player who played on one of the best defenses in all of college ball last season. He was their leader, their Antonio Pierce. He isnt the most flashy type of backer which is why he isnt getting the attention he deserves.

Bobby Carpenter. Now before I get into Bobby a lot of people are going to question why is he on the list. He might be bring the most controversy and opinions will vary. IMO, Carpenter is the next best fit after Sims. Carpenter has excellent size and for a man of his size he moves very well. He is another one of those true football players. Now I'll admit when I first notice Bobby Carpenter it was on accident. I was primarily watching A.J. Hawk but this crazy ass number 52 was all over the place I couldnt help but notice him.

Reasons I think Carpenter is the second best option behind Sims:

1. Carpenter has the versatility to play all 3 LB positions.

2. Carpenter is the BEST LB in the draft at pressuring the QB. He is the best on the blitz.

3. Bobby is also the toughest LB in this draft, with a mentality that will spread to our D like the plague.

4. Carpenter is a very aggressive player much Ernie Sims. We desperatly lack that attitude that these two guys bring to the field.

5. Bobby was very productive in college and has the experience to come in and start from day one.

6. Carpenter is very effective with run support and does a good job in coverage.

7. He is also a really good special teams player.

Bottom line is I feel Carpenter fits our defense really well. Im sure I can sit here and list plenty more reasons but i dont have the time. Carpenter is being over looked as of right now because many feel he is just a 3-4 backer or a sam in the 4-3. Thats not true at all. Carpenter can play and perform well as the will in the 4-3.

Others I mentioned are Thomas Howard (who personally I dont like), McIntosh, and Jackson. I like Jackson but he has played MLB in college and might need some time to adjust to WLB. He would also be a bit of a reach at 25. All three of those guys would be a reach at 25 though.

Anyways I hope that helped. I ran short on time and tried to crunch as much as I could.

really appreciate the post ! Its very difficult for me to watch alot of college ball due to

my family life (4 kids, wife and house) . I do of course follow the pros very heavy but

I can see why people watch the college game with high interest. Its nice to see young

players make it to the NFL and watch them grow.

I printed your post so during draft day I can follow along with some of those players

and what teams took the players you mentioned.

Your excitement about Carpenter comes through. His dad wasnt such a bad player either.

thanks again !

really appreciate the post ! Its very difficult for me to watch alot of college ball due to

my family life (4 kids, wife and house) . I do of course follow the pros very heavy but

I can see why people watch the college game with high interest. Its nice to see young

players make it to the NFL and watch them grow.

I printed your post so during draft day I can follow along with some of those players

and what teams took the players you mentioned.

Your excitement about Carpenter comes through. His dad wasnt such a bad player either.

thanks again !

Hey no problem. I can understand how hard it would be to catch the college games with a big family like that. For me, as much as I love pro football I think I like watching college ball just a little bit more. Its a tough call though. And for the record I do hate Ohio St. so being so high on Carpenter is obviously hard for me seeing that im a Penn State fan.

Coyle must've copied you.

:rolleyes:

Hound, I promise you that I only used NFLDraftCountdown.com when making my mock (and watching a game or two on each player except for Jonathan Orr). Great football minds think alike