SportsWrath

Phillips' knee healing as expected

Treehugger

Giants hope rehabbing safety Phillips will be back for training camp

By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

The New York Giants remain optimistic that they will have top safety Kenny Phillips back for training camp this summer, a source with knowledge of the situation revealed Wednesday.

Phillips is recovering from a severe knee injury that cost him almost all of the 2009 season and cast some doubt on his future.

Given the obstacles he has faced, Phillips -- a rising star and one of the keys to New York's defense -- "is progressing as well as expected", according to the source, who added that there's "no reason to think he (Phillips) won't be ready for training camp."

Phillips hasn't suffered any setbacks in his rehabilitation, and he certainly will be limited in the early stages of camp, which normally begins in late July. Regaining the confidence in the knee and overcoming mental barriers will be key. The true test will come once Phillips is hit in the knee and takes a pounding, but the Giants have been pleased with the pace of everything so far.

"is progressing as well as expected"

Um....this isn't exactly encouraging, he wasn't really expected to recover. I know what the team says, but still...

If you finish the sentence it's much more encouraging in context; "no reason to think he (Phillips) won't be ready for training camp."

Say what you will but what he went thru is not an easy one to come back from this quickly... I hope they give him even more time than he needs to come back. As much as I'd love to see him on the field, we need to think long term.. not just his football career.. but his life thereafter.

Say what you will but what he went thru is not an easy one to come back from this quickly... I hope they give him even more time than he needs to come back. As much as I'd love to see him on the field, we need to think long term.. not just his football career.. but his life thereafter.

Yah, you're exactly right, degenerative- Gradual deterioration of specific tissues, cells, or organs with corresponding impairment or loss of function, caused by injury, disease, or aging.

If you finish the sentence it's much more encouraging in context; "no reason to think he (Phillips) won't be ready for training camp."

Yes, thats what they've been saying. I think he'll be ready for training camp just like Shaun Williams was always ready for training camp.

I'd have to say that I agree...if not over, he will never be able to play up to what we've come to see out of him....

Exactly. The only thing that fixes his injury is knee replacement. He might gimp around for another year or two but his best days are sadly behind him.

i for one think he comes back and is a good player for us.

I'm not too worried about that part... but let's face it.. it's a serious injury.. and a serious disease at that. What good does it do if he comes back and plays well for a year or 2.. then have his life ruined... It's unfortunate but I'm going into the season with the mind-set that he's not going to be contributing.

I'm not too worried about that part... but let's face it.. it's a serious injury.. and a serious disease at that. What good does it do if he comes back and plays well for a year or 2.. then have his life ruined... It's unfortunate but I'm going into the season with the mind-set that he's not going to be contributing.

I think that's why we picked up two other starting caliber safeties...IMO

His life won't be ruined.

Shit, if I had that sort of contract money, I'd walk around with a gold cane and have a different broad on my arm for every day in the week.

But that's me...I'm a glass half-full type of guy.

Exactly. The only thing that fixes his injury is knee replacement. He might gimp around for another year or two but his best days are sadly behind him.

You got a spare dollar you want to back that up with?

His life won't be ruined.

Shit, if I had that sort of contract money, I'd walk around with a gold cane and have a different broad on my arm for every day in the week.

But that's me...I'm a glass half-full type of guy.

Listen there Mr Glass Half Full type of guy :furious: , a gold cane means shit if you got one leg.. and sooner or later we all learn that the most valuable asset we all have.. or wish to have is our health...

Listen there Mr Glass Half Full type of guy :furious: , a gold cane means shit if you got one leg.. and sooner or later we all learn that the most valuable asset we all have.. or wish to have is our health...

well noone is forcing him to try and play football.

if he feels like he can play again, and the team doctors feel he can play, then who the hell am i to tell him not to.

well noone is forcing him to try and play football.

if he feels like he can play again, and the team doctors feel he can play, then who the hell am i to tell him not to.

Dude, i was being sarcastic at Joe with the angry emoticon... settle down or :angry: