SportsWrath

Giants Told Teams Umenyiora Was "Off Limits"

Mr. P

giants.jpg

The Giants have publicly said that Osi Umenyiora isn't going anywhere, even if he'd like to.

Even more telling, they have told teams privately the same thing.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that multiple teams called the Giants during the draft to make offers. The teams were "rebuffed" and told Umenyiora was "off limits" no matter what they've seen in the media.

So even if Umenyiora's camp were the ones to float the rumors, its sounds like the Giants never intended to deal him.

We don't blame them. You can never have too many affordable pass rushers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/04/giants-told-teams-umenyiora-was-off-limits/

way i see it its smart.

osi's trade value is at an all time low. if osi comes back and has a better year, but still is bitchin about a new contract we can sign kiwi and trade osi for a higher draft pick than we would have gotten this year, and if they dont want to give kiwi a new contract they can hope osi doesnt sit out in search of the new contract, add in that we just drafted a DE at pick 15. seems like the giants really have all the leverage at the moment. and makes the jpp pick look better, in my opinion.

Osi isnt unmotivated, nor will he be a cancer. I will wear his jersey to give him good luck, and he will lead us to our 4th SB title. :thumbs: K?

The last time I wore my Osi jersey was four days before Jets game.....I dont think I'll be wearing it again.

way i see it its smart.

osi's trade value is at an all time low. if osi comes back and has a better year, but still is bitchin about a new contract we can sign kiwi and trade osi for a higher draft pick than we would have gotten this year, and if they dont want to give kiwi a new contract they can hope osi doesnt sit out in search of the new contract, add in that we just drafted a DE at pick 15. seems like the giants really have all the leverage at the moment. and makes the jpp pick look better, in my opinion.

Very good point.

Maybe they just wanted him on our team?

Of course that's probably the reason but it doesn't hurt to listen.

someone says: we'll give you x for osi,

then you say: well, you can't have osi but we'll give you sinorice moss

and they say: Throw in Scrubby McSrubster and you got a deal

it's called negotiating, it's called being a gm.

Of course that's probably the reason but it doesn't hurt to listen.

someone says: we'll give you x for osi,

then you say: well, you can't have osi but we'll give you sinorice moss

and they say: Throw in Scrubby McSrubster and you got a deal

it's called negotiating, it's called being a gm.

So why would a team calling for Osi then be willing to trade for Moss?

I don't know Blu, I just think people over react to all this Osi trade stuff. Reese wants to win games, Osi gives us the best chance of winning games when he's on our team playing.

So why would a team calling for Osi then be willing to trade for Moss?

that was sarcasm

I don't know Blu, I just think people over react to all this Osi trade stuff. Reese wants to win games, Osi gives us the best chance of winning games when he's on our team playing.

i have no problem with that. my problem is that they didn't listen. they just put up a china wall around the whole subject. and if they did that to protect his feelings, then that's a big problem

that was sarcasm

i have no problem with that. my problem is that they didn't listen. they just put up a china wall around the whole subject. and if they did that to protect his feelings, then that's a big problem

Ok I will admit that they did say "No dont bother" to anyone trying to send an offer their way but in the end like Tree said maybe they just want Osi.

i figure after the injury and the sub par season osi had, the giants knew no team would offer anything close to what they think his real value is, and thats why there was no point to listen to offers.

that was sarcasm

Whenever I hear of a team being this stupid, I have to wonder...really?!?...or is it just typical sports reporting?

I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't at least listen to offers....and then say, at whatever price offered, 'off limits'.

Whenever I hear of a team being this stupid, I have to wonder...really?!?...or is it just typical sports reporting?

I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't at least listen to offers....and then say, at whatever price offered, 'off limits'.

you may have a point. i've been a giants fan for a long time and they've frequently had a "we're an island" mentality. rarely do they make a headline trade or pickup. but they might have listened quietly and then leaked this 'off limits' to the press to protect Oysi's tender psyche.

ok im gonna say it

osi is over rated

i really liked him till the stuff he pulled this year.........he made a name for himself off of one game against a rookie left tackle making his first start.....that was his best season....but six of those sacks came in one game....that was like half his sack total that whole season.

he has one move......if he doesnt beat u with that first quick outside move hes done.....he is terrible in run support as well........sounds like i think he is a terrible player....i dont....but i do think he is over rated............some fans consider this guy a top DE....far from it....he is an elite pass rusher maybe...but he is not a complete DE..........he wants to be treated and paid like a top 5 DE and he just isnt.

i dont know i really lost respect after he pulled that start me or i retire bs....i mean cmon dude......if you were confident in your ablity why would you have a problem EARNING the spot.

all that being said i hear all that teams were offering were like 5th round picks......i think if somebody threw a 3 at us it would ahve been a done deal

osi has alot to prove to himself the team the fans and the leauge this season.

ok im gonna say it

osi is over rated

i really liked him till the stuff he pulled this year.........he made a name for himself off of one game against a rookie left tackle making his first start.....that was his best season....but six of those sacks came in one game....that was like half his sack total that whole season.

he has one move......if he doesnt beat u with that first quick outside move hes done.....he is terrible in run support as well........sounds like i think he is a terrible player....i dont....but i do think he is over rated............some fans consider this guy a top DE....far from it....he is an elite pass rusher maybe...but he is not a complete DE..........he wants to be treated and paid like a top 5 DE and he just isnt.

i dont know i really lost respect after he pulled that start me or i retire bs....i mean cmon dude......if you were confident in your ablity why would you have a problem EARNING the spot.

all that being said i hear all that teams were offering were like 5th round picks......i think if somebody threw a 3 at us it would ahve been a done deal

osi has alot to prove to himself the team the fans and the leauge this season.

I think quite a few of us agree with you.. I know I do. Nothing against Osi but Strahan played a huge role in his "success"... I think this whole thing about being "off limits" is quack.. but that's what you get when there's a void in the sports sections...

I think quite a few of us agree with you.. I know I do. Nothing against Osi but Strahan played a huge role in his "success"... I think this whole thing about being "off limits" is quack.. but that's what you get when there's a void in the sports sections...

Is that deserteese street talk?

I always thought the expression was 'whack'. Like 'those kicks are whack, bro'.

:cheah:

Is that deserteese street talk?

I always thought the expression was 'whack'. Like 'those kicks are whack, bro'.

:cheah:

No, that's the token black guy's punch line :smartass:

i figure after the injury and the sub par season osi had, the giants knew no team would offer anything close to what they think his real value is, and thats why there was no point to listen to offers.

Didnt he lead our team in sacks last yr? I dont think Osi had a subpar yr last yr, I think our D had a subpar yr.

Didnt he lead our team in sacks last yr? I dont think Osi had a subpar yr last yr, I think our D had a subpar yr.

yes he did.

but for osi it was a subpar season.

yeah he lead in sacks....but he was also benched.....so i would have to think his play had something to do with that......being that he was put in on passing downs for the most part.....alls he had to do was pin his ears back and go after the qb...didnt have to think about the run really

which would mean kiwi would be out and osi in on obivous passing downs meaning more oppurtunities to get sacks for osi less for kiwi