SportsWrath

A hurry-up offense

hey

This past year, we were the best team in the league inside two minutes of a half. Why? The hurry up offense.

It is clear to me that Eli is more comfortable in this style.

This would benefit him and the rest of the team. When we try to run in the hurry up, the defense would not be able to make subs quickly and would be on their heels, making it easy for tiki to attack in draws or delays.

Just wondering anyone else's thoughts.

Guest CoachLubrano
This past year, we were the best team in the league inside two minutes of a half. Why? The hurry up offense.

It is clear to me that Eli is more comfortable in this style.

This would benefit him and the rest of the team. When we try to run in the hurry up, the defense would not be able to make subs quickly and would be on their heels, making it easy for tiki to attack in draws or delays.

Just wondering anyone else's thoughts.

It definitely seemed to me that everything just clicked when Eli was in command of the hurry-up. Eli really looks like a leader out there and preforms better as well.

If you remember, a few years ago, the Colts realized how good they were in their two minute offense. They decided to stick with it for the whole game. They haven't looked back since.

FWIW, Eli's effectiveness, even in the 2 minute drill, dropped off as the season progressed.

I think the no huddle has it's place as a mismatch maker but I don't like the thought of us going that route on a consistent basis offensively. If Eli can learn to quickly line up the troops after a play to catch the opponent in a substitution or force a timeout, I'm all for it. But I don't think we should eschew the traditional offense for a base no huddle like the Bills and Jim Smelly used to use.

Guest CoachLubrano
But I don't think we should eschew the traditional offense for a base no huddle like the Bills and Jim Smelly used to use.

I agree, I don't think it's the cure all or the answer to stay in a no-huddle. But at times it really seemed like we could've used a change of pace.

FWIW, Eli's effectiveness, even in the 2 minute drill, dropped off as the season progressed.

I think the no huddle has it's place as a mismatch maker but I don't like the thought of us going that route on a consistent basis offensively. If Eli can learn to quickly line up the troops after a play to catch the opponent in a substitution or force a timeout, I'm all for it. But I don't think we should eschew the traditional offense for a base no huddle like the Bills and Jim Smelly used to use.

Also, such an offense places a ton of pressure on the defense, who will get minimal rest between series.

Coach, the Colts don't use a no-huddle full-time.

I agree, I don't think it's the cure all or the answer to stay in a no-huddle. But at times it really seemed like we could've used a change of pace.

I would like them to be spontanious with it... 4 or 5 plays you huddle, and then you pull the hurry up, and the defense will be confused, so you have either Burress run long, or throw a screen to Tiki, and the defense will never know what hit them... but if we constantly use the no huddle, then when we need it the most (in the 2-minute situation's) then it will be more predictable... I say 1 out of ever 4 or 5 plays should be hurry up... what do you guys think?

I would like them to be spontanious with it... 4 or 5 plays you huddle, and then you pull the hurry up, and the defense will be confused, so you have either Burress run long, or throw a screen to Tiki, and the defense will never know what hit them... but if we constantly use the no huddle, then when we need it the most (in the 2-minute situation's) then it will be more predictable... Isay 1 out of ever 4 or 5 plays should be hurry up... what do you guys think?

Of course, it shouldn't be used the whole game. I feel TC just shouldnt be hesitant at all to pull the triggor when the offense is sputtering.

then when we need it the most (in the 2-minute situation's) then it will be more predictable...

That doesn't make sense. The defense won't be able to predict it better whether there's 10 minutes left in the game or 1 minute left in the game.

Of course, it shouldn't be used the whole game. I feel TC just shouldnt be hesitant at all to pull the triggor when the offense is sputtering.

That doesn't make sense. The defense won't be able to predict it better whether there's 10 minutes left in the game or 1 minute left in the game.

lol...I guess your right... I just think we need to be more spontanious... more trick plays, and utilize Jacobs more efficiently... if the hurry up throws off just person, it could be a TD, but miscommunication will cause picks