SportsWrath

McNabb a Redskin?

hlb37

knew he was on the block but never though he would wind up in DC.

Another in a long, long list of boneheaded moves out of Washington. I just wish the Eagles where not the benificiaries of their stupidity

http://stats.nypost.com/fb/front.asp

But he is not playing for Spurrier or Gibbs or Zorn....Shannahan can coach in today's game.

I thought there was some rule that you dont' trade a Pro-Bowler within your conference ...let alone Division...

C. Wagon

I dont know H. Depending on what the trade involved, it could be a huge move for the skins. We will see how it pans out, but I think the skins just moved up a few notches.

If they can get a 2nd rounder for Cambell and a great left tackle in the draft they won't be worse than last year but I don't see them winning 6 or 7 more games.

Assuming that they can move Cambell, they have still gotten a lot older at QB though.

Stats don't tell everything and McNabb is obviously a proven leader with a great deal of respect with in the player fraternity but at this point in his career I think he is a real gamble. Here are last years numbers fwiw.

2009 Season McNabb Campbell

Completion pct. 60.3 64.5

Passing yards 3,533 3,618

TD-Int. 22-10 20-15

Passer rating 92.9 86.4

Crazy moves by both teams....

Eagles were dumb to move McNabb to a team they'll place 2x per year.

On the flip side, the Skins just dealt draft picks to their rival....an equally bone-headed move.

Shanahan is a great coach, and runs the west coast, so the transition should be pretty easy.

Cooley's fantasy value just went up.

I will enjoy watching Philly and Skins gash eachother next season....should heat up an old and intense rivalry even further.

But he is not playing for Spurrier or Gibbs or Zorn....Shannahan can coach in today's game.

I thought there was some rule that you dont' trade a Pro-Bowler within your conference ...let alone Division...

C. Wagon

well to be fair Shanahan could coach with Elway at QB. He didn't exactly tear it up in the post Elway era.

McNabb is in decline in terms of strength and durability and that offensive line is a shambles. This is obvious to me and I suspect Reid knows this too.

I laughed out load when I saw one headline that declared, "Washington and Dallas have inside track to NFC title. Ain't gonna happen for either of them.

I think this is a great signing by the Skins...McNabb might be on his way out and injury prone, but he's certainly better than Jason Campbell....throw in Larry Johnson, Fast Willie Parker (who I'm not sure has much left, however), and Portis still, and a healthy Chris Cooley and underachieving WRs, and they are still a pretty dynamic offense....

Their oline was decimated by injury last year, and yes, they're getting old and coming off these injuries, but if they pick up a solid draft pick and maybe a stop gap tackle or guard, and at the least, they'll be a more dangerous team than they were last year...

knew he was on the block but never though he would wind up in DC.

Another in a long, long list of boneheaded moves out of Washington. I just wish the Eagles where not the benificiaries of their stupidity

http://stats.nypost.com/fb/front.asp

I can see how some would disagree with the move but calling it bone headed is a little absurd.

I guess if football were all about stats maybe.

I think comparing Campbell to McNabb based on some stats is a little absurd.

I don't think you'd find many who consider them the same caliber player by any stretch.

McNabb probably has 2 to 4 years of high quality play left in him.

Redskins won't get a 2nd rounder for Campbell. He's worth a fourth maybe. A third if we're lucky. I'd be really surprised if we get a 2nd.

I really like Campbell as a person though and I think he could turn into a reliable, solid quarterback in the right system. He's got to work on his accuracy and get much faster on decision making though.

Yes, we had a horrible offensive line last year but many of those sacks were on him. You can't stand in one place for 4 seconds.

Picking up all these old running backs? I guess they'll be sevicable but they won't scare anyone.

Since they are all older I suppose you can get them all involved and lower their reps.

I agree with Mik that this is a great trade for the Redskins. McNabb brings credibility to the franchise, now. The NFL is a quarterback driven league. If you don't have a good QB, unless you have an all-time great defense, you are not going to win in the NFL. Jason Campbell was not scaring anyone. I remember several times watching him thinking that he wasn't doing a good enough job reading defenses, was not making good decisions with the football, and just missing on passes. McNabb is a competitive QB that will win games for the Skins. The WR group looks like it might be something next year with the young guys possibly stepping up. I don't think the trio of Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, and Clinton Portis is going to work out. But the Redskins still have their #1 pick, and there is still time to address some concerns with that roster. A second round pick is very much worth it for a guy that is going to sell a lot of tickets, reinvigorate the fans, and make the team a threat in the division, which McNabb is very capable of doing.

This potentially is a good move for the Eagles as well, as long as they are right about Kevin Kolb. Andy Reid has been a good coach for a long time, and I would imagine that he knows what he has in Kolb. But is he a winner? We will see. But it was not a bad time to turn the page for the Eagles, with Kolb having had 3 years of seasoning and Vick idling on the sidelines. Now with their additional second rounder they can work on fixing their defense.

The division is tougher today than it was before this trade. I still trust Eli, though, and I think he's the class of the East as far as QB's, so I don't think we need to be that concerned.

I don't think that trade really helped either team that much.

Other than it gives the Redskins the chance to pick up a LT early in the draft, there's no great improvement for them. They have a lot of rebuilding to do on that line, and they have two less picks to do it. They have a large collection of elderly running backs, none of which have shown they can play a whole season healthy anymore. Santana played like Sinorice last year, and while the defense has a few good players, it needs revamping as well. Personally, I would have gone with drafting plenty of Olinemen, let Campbell take the beatings with the rookie line, and then draft a QB next year--cold-hearted, maybe, but if you aren't going with Campbell in the future, why let your future take the beating? I guess you could say that's why they got McNabb, but he isn't exactly known for durability.

With Philly, it's all going to depend on who they draft, and they are quite capable of having some bad picks. Whether or not Kolb is good, they're definitely going to have some lurches this year. It does go without question though that this is no longer the team that dominated the NFC East this past decade. Of course it's yet to be seen if the new era is better or worse.

McNabb went to the Redskins and not the BIlls or Raiders for one reason- Schneider gives big contracts.

I do believe both teams are better off for the move but the Redskins have shown to be a bumbling franchise lately. that the dynamic duo of shanahan and mcnabb man can turn it around remains to be seen. Personally, I think the eagles will get to the Super Bowl faster than the skins.

C. Wagon

But Mcnabb is not a pro bowler

I dont know H. Depending on what the trade involved, it could be a huge move for the skins. We will see how it pans out, but I think the skins just moved up a few notches.

A 2nd round pick plus is too much to give up a guy who's over the hill. I like McNabb but he's a season or 2 away from retirement. He may do very well for DC this year.. and even the next.. then what?

A 2nd round pick plus is too much to give up a guy who's over the hill. I like McNabb but he's a season or 2 away from retirement. He may do very well for DC this year.. and even the next.. then what?

Then we'll have to face Tim Tebow twice a year.

Are the Redskins vying for the 2005 NFC East with all these pick ups?

hahah in the thread i made in the general discussion area i made a similar comment but that they were clear favorites to win the 2006 nfc east.

great minds...

hahah in the thread i made in the general discussion area i made a similar comment but that they were clear favorites to win the 2006 nfc east.

great minds...

Or.... plagiarism. :ph34r:

:ban:

and mcnabb's looking like danny glover at the press conference right now

"Overtime....? I'm too old for this shit...."