SportsWrath

Giants sign punter, but Feagles plans to return »

Mr. P

jeff-feagles-giants-kicking-training-camp-f165850e81e85de3_large.jpg

The Giants signed a new punter today, but their old one still intends to come back, too.

Jeff Feagles, the Giants’ incumbent punter, told the Daily News today that he “absolutely” intends to return for his 23rd NFL season and expects that he’ll play his eighth season with the Giants. Feagles is an unrestricted free agent, but he said negotiations are currently ongoing even though the Giants announced the signing of punter Jy Bond.

Bond, what the team called “an intriguing prospect” in its press release, is a 30-year-old former Australian Rules Football player. He was with the Miami Dolphins last spring, but was cut before training camp in the summer. And he’s been training with Darren Bennett, the first former Australian Rules Football player to make it as a punter in the NFL.

But he is not, apparently, being brought in as a replacement for the 44-year-old Feagles, who insisted today that “We’re in negotiations, so that’s a good thing.”

“Oh yeah, and there’s no rush at this point,” he said. “They’ve got other priorities right now and we’re trying to get some things worked out. It’s no big deal.”

Feagles also said it wasn’t a big deal that the Giants signed another punter, even though he said “That’s news to me. I didn’t know anything about it.” Given his age, it makes sense to have a second punter in camp anyway, to preserve his leg before the regular season starts.

And it’s definitely not a sign that Feagles’ career is over, he insisted.

“One day I’ll tell you that (I’m planning to retire),” Feagles said. “But not today.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/03/giants-sign-punter-but-feagles.html

How great would that be? One punter to doink the shit out of the ball 50+ yards...and Feagles to drop them at the 2 from short range....no more Feagles 39 yard bombs....

have him stuffed.

i wonder if J Bond's jersey number will be 007 confused.gif

hahaha, when I was a kid, I always used to create a player in every new Madden installment and name him James Bond....he was always 7 and QB...damn, I can remember being like 5 or 6 and playing the original John Madden Football....

hahaha, when I was a kid, I always used to create a player in every new Madden installment and name him James Bond....he was always 7 and QB...damn, I can remember being like 5 or 6 and playing the original John Madden Football....

Well that sucks....I can remember being 35.

Well that sucks....I can remember being 35.

That Super Nintendo was a magical machine, despite whatever age you were! Honestly, the quality of the actual software deteriorated throughout the years, IMO....it got more about effects and how much money you can throw into graphics and less about the playability of the game!

That Super Nintendo was a magical machine, despite whatever age you were! Honestly, the quality of the actual software deteriorated throughout the years, IMO....it got more about effects and how much money you can throw into graphics and less about the playability of the game!

The original Madden game was only for the PC. Never played it though.

I used to love playing Madden on the old SNES, but after I got into Sierra's Front Page Sports Football Pro series, Madden seemed a poor, pathetic substitute. Too bad that series went defunct. Ten years later I still can't get into Madden, its just so...shallow.

Noboby digs the Feagles Magic more than I do, but I'm wondering if he still has a leg.

in '07 and '08 when our defense was winning field position; drives would end at the 50, and he was genius.

Last year we were buried in our own territory quite a bit and his weakness was exposed.

i say, we get marshall and forget about the punters. laugh.gif