SportsWrath

Antrel Rolle has signed with the Giants

Mr. P

here you go Nas,

@newsdaygiants Source tells Newsday: Antrel Rolle has signed with the Giants

newsdays twitter site and the other giants beat writers are hearing the same thing. mike g says hes checking with drew rosenhaus to confirm

From NFL.com:

Jason La Canfora

Rolle signs five-year, $37M deal with Giants

Posted: March 5th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: 2010 Free Agency, Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

The Giants have signed safety Antrel Rolle to a five-year, $37 million contract with $15 million guaranteed and $22.5 million due in the first three years, according to a league source.

Rolle, who had 72 tackles and four interceptions last season with the Cardinals, becomes the highest-paid safety in NFL history.

Linky

giants.com

EAST RUTHERFORD - The Giants significantly upgraded their secondary tonight with the acquisition of safety Antrel Rolle.

Rolle, 6-0 and 208 pounds, spent his first five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, who released him on Thursday. The eighth overall selection of the 2005 NFL Draft, Rolle has been an outstanding all-around safety the last two years after playing his first three seasons at cornerback.

"Antrel is a young, ascending veteran player, and he is an outstanding person who will bring leadership, versatility and more big play ability to our secondary," general manager Jerry Reese said.

Rolle visited the Timex Performance Center on Friday and met with Reese, head coach Tom Coughlin and the defensive coaches.

"I'm ecstatic," Rolle said after signing his contract around 11:15 p.m. "Words can't really express how I feel now. I had five great years with the Cardinals organization. But I felt it was time for a change. The Giants are a first-class organization all the way. There are great opportunities for me, and I am excited to be working with the players I'll be working with. I think the sky's going to be the limit as to what we can do.

"I'm extremely excited for the opportunity, and I feel truly blessed. They have the confidence I can come in and be the player that they expect me to be, and I will live up to everything they expect and go beyond."

Rolle, 27, has played in 68 regular season games with 59 starts. His career totals include 337 tackles (296 solo), 12 interceptions (including four he has returned for touchdowns; three in 2007), 36 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and 1.5 sacks.

In 2009, Rolle started all 15 games in which he played and was credited with 72 tackles (61 solo). He also intercepted four passes, the second-highest total of his career. One of those was on an Eli Manning pass with 1:08 remaining in the fourth quarter on Oct. 25, sealing the Cardinals' 24-17 victory over the Giants. Rolle had eight tackles (six solo) in that game.

The previous year, Rolle switched from corner to safety and finished with a career-high 89 tackles (78 solo) and an interception that he returned 40 yards for a touchdown.

The Giants entered the offseason seeking help at safety. Their best player at the position, Kenny Phillips, missed the final 14 games of the 2009 season with an arthritic condition in his knee that required surgery. The Giants are hopeful Phillips will return at full strength, but the team's other safeties - Michael Johnson, Aaron Rouse and C.C. Brown - did not perform as well as the Giants had hoped.

In four seasons at the University of Miami, Rolle was credited with 183 tackles, five interceptions and also doubled as a return man, returning 13 punts in 2003 for 202 yards and one touchdown. He was also selected as Miami's ACC Male Scholar Athlete of the Year and received his bachelor's degree in Sports Administration in May 2005.

After the Cardinals selected him with the eighth pick of the 2005 draft, Rolle was impressive in the first three games of his rookie season before suffering a left knee injury which required surgery and kept him on the sidelines for nine games. With his knee finally healthy, he came back and started all 16 games in 2006 and played in all 16 games (eight starts) in 2007 before switching to safety in 2008.

Rolle has missed only one game in the previous four seasons.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=43978

It's a pretty good signing for the Giants.

Rolle is a former Pro Bowler and he's sure as hell better than anyone the Giants have on their roster.

I think Phillips' career is pretty much over... and since my team already has two above-average safeties, I'm not sad to see Rolle off the market.

At least it's mostly front loaded for an uncapped year but that's way too much. Rolle is not worth $7 million a year and it seems like Reese is turning out to be terrible at FA signings. Also it seems like since there is no cap floor Arizona is dumping everybody to save money (Rolle, Dansby, Boldin). Maybe after Warner's retirement they figure it's rebuilding time anyway.

I'm not particularly impressed with this signing, paid more than we should have. If he sits 20 yards down from the line for the next five years, we'll get our money's worth. If he's doing anything else, we're going to be disappointed. If we were just going to overpay at the position they should have never tendered CC Brown and just went after Gibril Wilson. Could have signed him for cheap considering he had as much fun last season as Brown did.

I agree Tree. I really believe guys like Sintim, Goff and Kehl will do fine at LB, and I think we still may bring in Kirk Morrison. So safety was huge. I really dont think DT is a concern, unless Alford and Canty dont recover from injury. But I dont see why they wouldnt. Great signing here. I really like Antrel.

Fucking huge signing....monster upgrade. Rolle is a great player, and he'll be replacing someone who was utterly lost.

We went from a "D-" to a "B+" at this spot.

Maybe it is all bullshit, but everything I hear about Phillips is encouraging.....but maybe that was to hide their cards prior to jumping all over Rolle.

If (big if) we have Ross, Webster, Rolle, and a 100% Phillips out there, I can't think of a better NFL secondary.

At the very least, we've taken some pressure off our draft needs.....if we don't get a linebacker in the 1st round, I'll shit my pants.

Our biggest hole is the LB core.

Maybe...IMO. If If Sintim doesnt pan out, and Goff and Kehl dont progress any further, then yeah. But I think those are 3 young talented LB's that given the chance...will produce. I think secondary was, because other than Phillips, the other safeties were weak. And with Phillips goin down, that mad it our biggest need.

If he's 6ft and 208 lbs, he's a bit small for a safety. You could see him eventually move back to corner. Plus that's an awful lot of money. Still it's an upgrade.

Eh, Gibril Wilson is even smaller than that and we made out fine with him....even if he did go on to suck in other places....

Our biggest hole is the LB core.

Yah, don't get me wrong, I'm all for this Rolle signing but Karlos Dansby was the guy they should have thrown all their cards at. I am so sick of not having any talent at linebacker and having to play the "wait and see" game to see if any of the linebackers we draft will ever produce on the field.

Maybe...IMO. If If Sintim doesnt pan out, and Goff and Kehl dont progress any further, then yeah. But I think those are 3 young talented LB's that given the chance...will produce. I think secondary was, because other than Phillips, the other safeties were weak. And with Phillips goin down, that mad it our biggest need.

I've got nothing against Sintim, Goff, and Kehl. Of the 3, I'd guess Sintim has the most upside....and Goff is apparently one smart dude.

But we still need a linebacker in round #1. I'm not saying anyone out there is remotely as good as Taylor and Banks.....but when we drafted them, we knew we had struck gold. We need anything pick like that. We haven't had a true impact LB since Jesse Armstead.

ILB is our biggest hole...now, though I wouldn't be surprised to see the G-Men target a DT and give Goff his chance. But a stud LB doesn't help if the opposition can just lob the ball 20 yards downfield all day.

Tighter coverage will also translate into better DL production.

I'm not particularly impressed with this signing, paid more than we should have. If he sits 20 yards down from the line for the next five years, we'll get our money's worth. If he's doing anything else, we're going to be disappointed. If we were just going to overpay at the position they should have never tendered CC Brown and just went after Gibril Wilson. Could have signed him for cheap considering he had as much fun last season as Brown did.

I agree. Also now with Rouse cut it seems like Brown will be sticking around longer. <_<